Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Webb Simpson WITB interview

Over on the PGA Tour website they have an interview with Webb Simpson discussing his current WITB. It gives a great insight into how he makes changes and why he still plays some of the older equipment and uses a steel shafted hybrid. He also talks about his long term relationship with Titleist. Not sure if it's ok to post a link to another site so I won't  but it is definitely worth a read for gearheads like us. 

Article is titled: 

Talking equipment with Simpson, THE PLAYERS Championship winner

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

It's interesting that he went back to a longer shaft where most pros opt for the shorter shafts.   In the past I have played my driver at 44.5 although when I got my new Ping G400 Max, I left the standard 45.75 length shaft as is.  I'm hitting it so well that I'm afraid to mess with it so I'll keep the longer length. 

WEBB SIMPSON: Not really. It was actually the perfect combination because at the time when I switched at Honda to the D2 head, I went to a 46-inch shaft from the 45-inch I had been playing. And so the longer shaft actually kind of — the look of the long shaft didn't affect me as much as I thought it would because the head was bigger. So it was actually a nice little transition for me. With the D2 head, I was picking up more ball speed and it looked good from the start, to be honest. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

What a great link and interview!  Thanks for posting it JTex.  I hope that all of us take note of how carefully Simpson has thought through his bag.  That's exactly why I jump in generalized statements things like we should all play a shorter shafted driver (I do because that's what I'm fit to) and the like.

It's important to think through your bag configuration, seek professional help when possible and then make sure what you have fits your game and the courses that you bring that game to most. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Couldn't agree more Rev! I have been tweaking my bag for a few months now getting everything right, and the more I have gotten into it the more that I have realized that its what I need, not what is popular or what others think I need. I really enjoyed seeing the thought process that Webb uses for his bag.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Thanks for posting. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index