Nicklaus era Tour players better skilled than today ?

Our Sponsors

I think if you took any of the greats and put them in any era and they would still be great simply because they have/had "it". It being the pure athletic ability and drive. Now how many wins they would have might differ a little based on the era (Greg Norman may have a few more wins in today's era due to his amazing tee ball and the length of modern courses)

I also agree with that statement said here that the average player today is better than prior eras but I think this also has to do with drive. Tiger grew up wanting to be better than Jack. Now the guys on tour grew up wanting to be better than Tiger. The greats from every era are the ones that helped shape the sport for the future eras. A real good question is who is going to step up now and help shape the future era?

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I believe the biggest difference is in the athletes themselves. I don't think it's a big secret that golf today is pulling athletes not just guys who didn't play basketball, football or baseball. Not to mention the athletes playing today are just bigger, faster and stronger. Who the hell would have thought a 6'4” 300 pound lineman can run a 4.80 40 yard dash. Swing speeds are up and the guys have gotten into fitness as well. I hate the GOAT term cause every athlete competes in an era. The GOAT comment is so over used.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I don't believe you can compare generations. I know my dad used to compare himself and his accomplishments to his father. Both welders, but my grandfather built boilers, and my dad built scrapers. I know it's a bit of a stretch but the tools then compared to now are about the same equivalent. I just enjoy watching old footage and admiring the accomplishments.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:titelist-small:                          980F 3 Wood

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

Upswing                   60* wedge

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Whatever year that the ProV1 was introduced was the first real wow moment for me in Golf technology. I played a two-day tournament at Oneonta CC and used a Professional 90 the first day. Coach handed us a sleeve of these new Titleists and said go try these. I was 15 yards longer off the tee and used the same ball all round for my 73. It gave me a top 10 and piqued my interest. There was nothing like that on the market and despite my PING TiSi wrecking the world with the Professional wound three piece technology, there was always going to be something better.

That's the difference, the equipment increases the margin of error. Makes misses less worse.

You still have to put the ball into the hole and Seve, Jack et al had no issues doing it with what Phil would call “inferior equipment.”

• Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

• 1 month later...

No I do not think Nicklaus era players are better skilled than today. IMO, they were equally skilled given the set of conditions at that time. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

No I do not think Nicklaus era players are better skilled than today. IMO, they were equally skilled given the set of conditions at that time.

Exactly or from my perspective differently skilled. Today's game requires different skills than those in the Nicklaus era. Those in the Jones/Hagen era required different skills as well.

Whoever wrote that the players in Nicklaus' Day had to think their way around the course implying that current players don't is wrong IMO. One of the greatest challenges in golf is fitting your game to the course that lies ahead.

That's what never changes.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

If Bobby Jones were 25 years old today, he'd likely be playing today's irons with the longer length blade. He certainly wouldn't be playing hickory.

I'd place a very large wager that if Bobby Jones was a teenager today, and was growing up in a similar fashion to how he was 100 years ago, right now he'd sure as anything be vying for a PGA Tour card and all of the endorsements he could get his hands on.

And since I've seen multiple college players carrying PXG clubs around, I wouldn't be surprised if poor little spoiled rich boy, Bobby was recruited to play the same clubs at some top Division 1 school, like Georgia Tech or Wake Forest.

It's far too ridiculous a hypothetical in my mind to look back and try and compare.  As times were different with Bobby Jones, so it was with Palmer, Nicklaus, et al.  Times have changed, and so have philosophies of life.  I sure don't blame any of these kids who are turning pro as fast as possible these days.  There is far too much money in the game NOT to try and take advantage of it.

And I would wager that Jack Nicklaus' career would have taken a far different path today then it did back in the late 50's when it was his time to come out.  Jack sure as heck wouldn't have been selling insurance in the off season to try and pay the bills today.

The amount of money being thrown around professional golf today just makes it that much easier for today's elite players to take advantage of every opportunity they are afforded.  Heck, even the better college programs 4th and 5th best players are being gifted so much equipment and product that they have no worries of where the next meal is coming from, or how to pay for anything to get to tournaments.  

So you can go back as far as Old Tom Morris if you want.  Any elite golfer of any generation would have chosen the career path that best suited them in golf today.  Become worth $100 million by the time you are 25?  Sign every one of these guys up - Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Hagan, Jones.  They all would've done it like Spieth or Rahm is doing it now.

• Like 4
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I'd place a very large wager that if Bobby Jones was a teenager today, and was growing up in a similar fashion to how he was 100 years ago, right now he'd sure as anything be vying for a PGA Tour card and all of the endorsements he could get his hands on.

And since I've seen multiple college players carrying PXG clubs around, I wouldn't be surprised if poor little spoiled rich boy, Bobby was recruited to play the same clubs at some top Division 1 school, like Georgia Tech or Wake Forest.

It's far too ridiculous a hypothetical in my mind to look back and try and compare. As times were different with Bobby Jones, so it was with Palmer, Nicklaus, et al. Times have changed, and so have philosophies of life. I sure don't blame any of these kids who are turning pro as fast as possible these days. There is far too much money in the game NOT to try and take advantage of it.

And I would wager that Jack Nicklaus' career would have taken a far different path today then it did back in the late 50's when it was his time to come out. Jack sure as heck wouldn't have been selling insurance in the off season to try and pay the bills today.

The amount of money being thrown around professional golf today just makes it that much easier for today's elite players to take advantage of every opportunity they are afforded. Heck, even the better college programs 4th and 5th best players are being gifted so much equipment and product that they have no worries of where the next meal is coming from, or how to pay for anything to get to tournaments.

So you can go back as far as Old Tom Morris if you want. Any elite golfer of any generation would have chosen the career path that best suited them in golf today. Become worth $100 million by the time you are 25? Sign every one of these guys up - Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Hagan, Jones. They all would've done it like Spieth or Rahm is doing it now.

Absolutely

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them