Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Question

HarveyDiamond

I am hoping to get as much help here as possible. What are the differences between cast and forged blades? Construction techniques as well as playing differences. I've read for years that this blade or that bleed was forged. And I've also read about cast blades. I've never really read anything that gave me an idea of the differences, or why one would be recommended for a player. Take dead aim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

The difference is in the name - some irons are cast others are forged. Generally speaking the forged ones are made of softer metal so that you get greater feedback as to where you are making contact with the ball on the club face.

You are about to get all kinds of opinions about what type of iron you should use, I must use because a low handicapper. None of these opinions are going to come from teaching pros who have seen you play. I'm a low handicapper in part because I've learned to ignore un-informed advice.

The fact is that each type of iron head has a performance characteristics that fit certain types of golfers. Ideally you would consult your own teacher/fitter and enter into a dialogue as to what type will be best for you. If you can't find one there are some people here whom I would trust for equipment advice. But they would need more input from you - what's your AoA, 6 iron swing speed, launch angle, ball flight, how consistent are you, how often do you practice, what kind of feedback do you want from your irons, what are the general conditions that you play in.

Good luck

It's easy to find the difference between forged and cast irons online BTW. No doubt someone will provide a more comprehensive answer and/or link.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Basically just the manufacturing process. One is forged out of a piece of metal (usually softer) while the other one is cast in molds.

Some people can tell the difference in feel, others can't.

Since forged ones are softer, might need to check them periodically to make sure their lift and lie are still spot on.

Other than that, it's pretty much personal preference.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

The difference is in the name - some irons are cast others are forged. Generally speaking the forged ones are made of softer metal so that you get greater feedback as to where you are making contact with the ball on the club face.

You are about to get all kinds of opinions about what type of iron you should use, I must use because a low handicapper. None of these opinions are going to come from teaching pros who have seen you play. I'm a low handicapper in part because I've learned to ignore un-informed advice.

The fact is that each type of iron head has a performance characteristics that fit certain types of golfers. Ideally you would consult your own teacher/fitter and enter into a dialogue as to what type will be best for you. If you can't find one there are some people here whom I would trust for equipment advice. But they would need more input from you - what's your AoA, 6 iron swing speed, launch angle, ball flight, how consistent are you, how often do you practice, what kind of feedback do you want from your irons, what are the general conditions that you play in.

Good luck

It's easy to find the difference between forged and cast irons online BTW. No doubt someone will provide a more comprehensive answer and/or link.

Great question and excellent answer! Thanks guys I was wondering myself.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

No difference in performance at all. And if made right, very little difference in feel (ie sound). Ping iblade is cast and feels as good as anything on the market.

I second that. The iBlade is the bees knees. Best of both worlds.

It is all in the ball you play. If you pick a rock flight, or a Srixon Z-Star... no matter what club you hit, the Z Star will feel softer. Cast, forged, a rock taped to a stick.

Pretty good answers all of you. Rev basically summed it up--- I will tell you golf is very subjective-- Even though I am an admitted forged blade man I would never insist that forged blades are for everyone-- I have seen good players playing forged blades and have seen them play cast clubs too. And no I am not going to the argument that blades make you a better ball striker either because if I did I would be like a Mule with blinders on. One has to find what fits their eye and feel. And with balls like Shankster said you have to find one that fits your game and style. For me lately it has been some of the Vice balls or the Master Grip C-4 or in the Srixon line the Soft Feels or Q Star Tour and yes I was a Pro V man for years. And absolutely no I am not going to tell you one or the other ball is the absolute Holy Grail for you and your game. It is good to get varied opinions and then experiment on what works for your style and game. Like I stress nothing in golf is absolute for everyone

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Good luck

Thanks Rev, I appreciate the answer.

I will say that I've learned from this site not to criticize someone's iron type choice for two reasons.

1. I've written it before but not for a while that we play golf for fun. So game what's fun. For me fun is playing with my friends, winning my matches in league, being competitive in tournaments. I'm going with the equipment that gives me the best chance to do those things even if it's not the latest and most hip stuff that all the tour guys game. But for someone else fun may be showing up with a shiny set of Mizuno blades or a classic set of irons. Go for it!

2. Our swings are different and we play in different places. Heck the turf in Florida is so different between winter and summer (we often have different grass on our courses seasonally) that I have used different wedges at different times of the year in the past.

At any rate my swing responds better to irons that have a wider sole after 8 iron because I come at it from the inside and pick it pretty clean. I've always preferred lofted fairway woods and now hybrids. Even when I played blades back in the 70's I had a cast 2 iron that I could mash off the tee.

But that's me - each of us needs to know his individual game and what works best.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I will say that I've learned from this site not to criticize someone's iron type choice for two reasons.

1. I've written it before but not for a while that we play golf for fun. So game what's fun. For me fun is playing with my friends, winning my matches in league, being competitive in tournaments. I'm going with the equipment that gives me the best chance to do those things even if it's not the latest and most hip stuff that all the tour guys game. But for someone else fun may be showing up with a shiny set of Mizuno blades or a classic set of irons. Go for it!

2. Our swings are different and we play in different places. Heck the turf in Florida is so different between winter and summer (we often have different grass on our courses seasonally) that I have used different wedges at different times of the year in the past.

At any rate my swing responds better to irons that have a wider sole after 8 iron because I come at it from the inside and pick it pretty clean. I've always preferred lofted fairway woods and now hybrids. Even when I played blades back in the 70's I had a cast 2 iron that I could mash off the tee.

But that's me - each of us needs to know his individual game and what works best.

Everything said about FL is right on!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

we often have different grass on our courses seasonally) that I have used different wedges at different times of the year in the past.

Different/seasonal grasses in Florida?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Different/seasonal grasses in Florida?

Yes, Bermuda summer and overseed in winter. Right now fareways are decent but last few months grass has been “thin”. I like to have a good amount of grass under my ball. What Rev says is correct I have wedges that I brought down to FL from up both that I can't use.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Another difference is forged are easier to adjust if lie or loft changes are required. Not to say cast can't be bent, but it is more difficult and can result in breakage if not expertly done.

That said, forged are more likely to need adjusting due to their inherent “softness “

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Another difference is forged are easier to adjust if lie or loft changes are required. Not to say cast can't be bent, but it is more difficult and can result in breakage if not expertly done.

That said, forged are more likely to need adjusting due to their inherent “softness “

Reminded me of a kind of funny story.  One of the courses I used to work at we had an electric bending machine.  This guy wanted one of his cast clubs bent.  With cast clubs you could bend them 4 degrees and it would bounce back 2.  So I bent his club 2 degrees but he wanted more.  I told him if I bend it more it could very likely brake, he told me he didn't care so I went to work.  Put the club back in the machine and stared bending it and SNAP! the shaft of the club flew across the pro shop.  All I could say was "told you"

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Reminded me of a kind of funny story.  One of the courses I used to work at we had an electric bending machine.  This guy wanted one of his cast clubs bent.  With cast clubs you could bend them 4 degrees and it would bounce back 2.  So I bent his club 2 degrees but he wanted more.  I told him if I bend it more it could very likely brake, he told me he didn't care so I went to work.  Put the club back in the machine and stared bending it and SNAP! the shaft of the club flew across the pro shop.  All I could say was "told you"

Another reason why Ping is so highly regarded.  Order your clubs to your specs according to color code.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great information from all of the posts above.  There is a lot of talk about the "feel" difference between a cast club and a forged club.  In my opinion the difference is very subjective.  For me the difference between the feel of both types of clubs is very very small.  For others after hitting a forged club they can't stand the "clicky" sound of a cast club.  It is hard to put my finger on why but I suspect it has something to do with the player's hearing.  Most people agree that the "feel" of the club is really the sound it makes.  Since my ears are not that great maybe that is why the different constructed clubs don't make that much difference to me.  

The only way to find out for yourself is to hit a nice soft forged club and a cast club side by side.  If you love the feel of the forged club then that is what you should buy.  As others have said the cast clubs are slightly harder metal so they hold up a little better.  Since I don't notice a feel difference then the more durable club is a good choice for me. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Archived