Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club test idea

tommc23

So with me picking up a set of KZG irons from deejaid I was thinking about doing a little test of differences between the KZG and my Wishon 575 irons. They are both forged blades and have a small cavity to them. Deejaid also included a 56* wedge with it so at the same time I was thinking of doing a little test between the Mac 56 he sold me, my glide 1.0, and the Hogan wedges that I got selected to test. It would be a test of the A wedges that come with the sets of clubs and 51* wedge from the Hogan then the 56 mac, 56 Hogan, and 56 glide. Would anyone be interested is something like this? Obviously I could do this as part of my Hogan test but I'd rather just test the Hogan vs ping glide and Wishon A right now. I will have an idea between these clubs already so I can just throw the KZG and Mac wedge in the mix after the test is over. I think a KZG vs Wishon test would be interesting and would like some input as to if anyone would read it. I think it's kinda like what stud did with the putters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I like objectivity and are familiar with all the clubs you listed. For one I would be very interested on your opinion of those. I will say one thing in advance those KZG Forged are one heck of a club and the closest thing to a Miura blade there is. Tom Wishon IMHO is one of the foremost authorities in club engineering and has designed some great clubs. Those are the only pre opinions I am going to give you 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I like objectivity and are familiar with all the clubs you listed. For one I would be very interested on your opinion of those. I will say one thing in advance those KZG Forged are one heck of a club and the closest thing to a Miura blade there is. Tom Wishon IMHO is one of the foremost authorities in club engineering and has designed some great clubs. Those are the only pre opinions I am going to give you

Stu it sounds like I'd get some questions from you if I did this.

I'm interested. Tommc23, you and me are the only ones around here I can think of who play Wishon. Mine are 771csi. Additionally, I too have a set of KZG's forged irons. Actually, I have two sets basically. Blades and CB. Both forged. Got them from deejad about a year ago.

I hate admitting it but I've not played them yet. I set to my fitter two seven irons to be setup for me to test. My fitter gave me a couple options/suggestions for shafts. One was the Aerotech i80-R which I play and love in my 771's. The other was a Wishon S2S Black 85-R. I decided to take a chance (and save some money) and try the S2S shaft. Hated them! Made the KZG's feel like concrete. I have not yet sent them back to my fitter for reshafting.

Therefore... I'm interested in your testing. When you do please provide all the specs you can. Do your KZG's have steel or graphite?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thought I might include a photo the KZG's I have. As you can see I have both the blade and cavity. Should I eventually put them in play I'll probably make up a combo set from these.

20180519_192335.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I'm interested. Tommc23, you and me are the only ones around here I can think of who play Wishon. Mine are 771csi. Additionally, I too have a set of KZG's forged irons. Actually, I have two sets basically. Blades and CB. Both forged. Got them from deejad about a year ago.

I hate admitting it but I've not played them yet. I set to my fitter two seven irons to be setup for me to test. My fitter gave me a couple options/suggestions for shafts. One was the Aerotech i80-R which I play and love in my 771's. The other was a Wishon S2S Black 85-R. I decided to take a chance (and save some money) and try the S2S shaft. Hated them! Made the KZG's feel like concrete. I have not yet sent them back to my fitter for reshafting.

Therefore... I'm interested in your testing. When you do please provide all the specs you can. Do your KZG's have steel or graphite?

I just got the heads from deejaid. I'm gonna get another fitting and see if I get fit for a different shaft since I've lost some weight and I'm hitting my Wishon better. Both clubs the KZG and Wishon are blades but the KZG have a little more cavity to them but not a ton. When I do get them set up I will tell you. Thinking about getting the 2 and 3 irons shafted with graphite shafts that would be for hybrids. To see what club I like best I'd probably not shaft all the clubs maybe just 9, 7, 4, and the a wedge

Thought I might include a photo the KZG's I have. As you can see I have both the blade and cavity. Should I eventually put them in play I'll probably make up a combo set from these.

attachicon.gif20180519_192335.jpg

Are you saying you have the full set of both cavity back and blade?

These are non conforming grooves right?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Stu it sounds like I'd get some questions from you if I did this.

Absolutely--- From a R&D standpoint my mind always seeks fresh knowledge. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The first picture is of the KZG and the rest of the Wishon. The wishon are conforming clubs. The wishon with a small cavity I only have in my 4 though 6 very minimal cavity.20180520_062552.jpg20180520_062535.jpg20180520_062527.jpg20180520_062518.jpg

Yes. I have both. I think the grooves might be non-conforming but deejad would know. But, I don't care anyway as I don't play tournaments anymore except charity scrambles, etc. For now they're just sitting here in my office looking pretty. 

Test how?

To be honest, I'm not really interested in anyone's opinion in any club. What I am interested in is my own opinion in any club.

For what it's worth, it can be an interesting read for those who are yet to decide which type of club they may or may not be interested in, but at the same time it has zero relevance to anyone in terms of feel, playability, looks etc. 

I would recommend to anyone to go out and try for themselves clubs to get to know what feels and works best, rather than relying on the opinion of someone else.

However, if it gives a point in the right direction to someone to give an informed choice to a potential purchase, then that can only be a plus. But ultimately, if I had a penny for every review telling me what someone else felt, then I'd probably have enough money to buy every club that anyone raved about.

My 2 cents.

Not so much a test and all about personal preference when choosing between types of wedges. A single person doing a header to head test will really only show how those two clubs prepare when hit by that particular person. That's why MGS most wanted testing protocols encompass so many shots by so many different people

jaskanski is correct.

My game is probably much different than tommc23 and most everyone else's for that matter. tommc23 is a 25 hcp and i'm a 5. I'm guessing am I'm a little more consistent ball striker. So therefore what someone like tommc23 feels and the ball flights he produces probably aren't relevant to my game. However, I'm still interested to hear about his experience. Any decisions I make regarding my KZG's will be based on me and my fitting one day.

I play the Wishon Sterling irons...

Did a fair amount of reading about Tom and even asked him some questions on "another" golf forum and he was happy to help and responded in due time.  Helped me a lot in making my decision to go to single length and with Wishon.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Test how?

To be honest, I'm not really interested in anyone's opinion in any club. What I am interested in is my own opinion in any club.

For what it's worth, it can be an interesting read for those who are yet to decide which type of club they may or may not be interested in, but at the same time it has zero relevance to anyone in terms of feel, playability, looks etc. 

I would recommend to anyone to go out and try for themselves clubs to get to know what feels and works best, rather than relying on the opinion of someone else.

However, if it gives a point in the right direction to someone to give an informed choice to a potential purchase, then that can only be a plus. But ultimately, if I had a penny for every review telling me what someone else felt, then I'd probably have enough money to buy every club that anyone raved about.

My 2 cents.

Isn't this what every MGS club review is about though?

I agree - one person's "smooth" can be so much different than another person - but, as you said, at least it's a point in one direction or another...but even then you have to be careful; I've tried clubs others have *hated* and they felt good to me. 

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

jaskanski is correct.

My game is probably much different than tommc23 and most everyone else's for that matter. tommc23 is a 25 hcp and i'm a 5. I'm guessing am I'm a little more consistent ball striker. So therefore what someone like tommc23 feels and the ball flights he produces probably aren't relevant to my game. However, I'm still interested to hear about his experience. Any decisions I make regarding my KZG's will be based on me and my fitting one day.

My handicap sucks because I can't get a driver to work and my 3 wood still leaves me long approach shots on most par 4s lol

I say do it if it makes you happy. People don't have to use your test in a purchasing decision for it to be an entertaining read. I'm not in the market for irons, but I'd still enjoy reading through your process with anticipation.

It would be crazy to think anyone went out after my putter test and bought a Fang putter; but I enjoyed doing it and learned a lot of valuable lessons along the way. If nothing else, I got a crap ton of putting practice in and it's starting to pay off this year with a more repeatable stroke.

You can add me to the list of people that would like to see you do this test, just don't let it interfere with your Equalizer review

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I say do it if it makes you happy. People don't have to use your test in a purchasing decision for it to be an entertaining read. I'm not in the market for irons, but I'd still enjoy reading through your process with anticipation.

It would be crazy to think anyone went out after my putter test and bought a Fang putter; but I enjoyed doing it and learned a lot of valuable lessons along the way. If nothing else, I got a crap ton of putting practice in and it's starting to pay off this year with a more repeatable stroke.

You can add me to the list of people that would like to see you do this test, just don't let it interfere with your Equalizer review

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Haha stud if I did it I would do it after that review.

I would like to see more pictures as KZG and Wishon are not clubs that I have seen before.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I'm keenly interested as KZG is on my short list of next irons... 

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

No offense intended, but I thought your input about the Equalizer wedges was what you were supposed to be doing. ... And any comparative mixing of other wedges into your testing duties is just going to muddy the waters.

And, end of the day, as others have suggested here, what one person likes or thinks they feel about one brand of wedges compared to another brand, well. ... that's book-length material. ;)

This would happen after the Equalizer test is done. It would just be a way for me to expand on the review I'm doing.

I think it's a great idea tommc23. I think if you tailor your review to speak of the quality of the the Wishons and KZGs, your likes and dislikes, it's all good.

I know when I read reviews either here or other places on the web I like to see pics and hear the reviews thoughts on the head shape/size, how it sets up to the ball, etc. I'm not necessarily interested in all the performance data because there are so many variables with shafts that it's almost more of a shaft review than club review sometimes.

I recall a Rick Shiels review where he had a mid handicap friend hit his (Ricks) Hogan Ft. Worth irons. Well the friend was 8” shorter and doesn't use x-stiff flex shafts but Rick kept saying “These aren't clubs for a mid-handicapper.” No s**t Rick! A set of Big Bertha shovels wouldn't have worked for him either if they were too long, too upright, and too stiff.

I guess what I'm saying is even YouTube personalities with thousands of followers put out “reviews” that really are no more than entertainment, with little helpful insight or data. I'm sure some would find your thoughts on the clubs helpful since those brands are a bit hard to come by.

Go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Do it.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I say go for it. If it's an interesting read, then it's worth it. The opinions of forum members I respect encouraged me to try out Cleveland CBX wedges*, and I wound up loving them. Reading this kind of information opens me up to things I wouldn't have previously considered. Then I can make the final decision myself.

*Benched for the next year during the Cobra Connect Challenge II.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think it's a great idea tommc23. I think if you tailor your review to speak of the quality of the the Wishons and KZGs, your likes and dislikes, it's all good.

I know when I read reviews either here or other places on the web I like to see pics and hear the reviews thoughts on the head shape/size, how it sets up to the ball, etc. I'm not necessarily interested in all the performance data because there are so many variables with shafts that it's almost more of a shaft review than club review sometimes.

I recall a Rick Shiels review where he had a mid handicap friend hit his (Ricks) Hogan Ft. Worth irons. Well the friend was 8” shorter and doesn't use x-stiff flex shafts but Rick kept saying “These aren't clubs for a mid-handicapper.” No s**t Rick! A set of Big Bertha shovels wouldn't have worked for him either if they were too long, too upright, and too stiff.

I guess what I'm saying is even YouTube personalities with thousands of followers put out “reviews” that really are no more than entertainment, with little helpful insight or data. I'm sure some would find your thoughts on the clubs helpful since those brands are a bit hard to come by.

Go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most mainstream golfers do not know anything about Wishon or KZG. Most that do are avid golf forum enthusiasts or have been exposed to the brands through a local fitter/shop that handles those products. That was how I got exposed. A friend of mine had a shop and he was a Wishon. KZG, Alpha and Infiniti dealer.  Tom Wishon is one of the most knowledgeable folks in the golf world and club engineering. I have learned a lot over the years reading articles he has written and answers he has given on golf forums. 

Rick Shiels I do not pay any attention to at all. After all he is just a "tool" for the big club manufacturers.

G

Archived