TESTERS WANTED! ×

could more par 3 courses help the game ?

We had one par 3 course in the area and it was part of a larger full 18 hole course. Unfortunately both closed due to less play combined with rising water costs during the years of drought we had.

It's a shame as now my kids are getting into the game and it would have been perfect for them. That's where I started. I remember as a teenager playing the pitch n putt all the time with my buddies. We had a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 8 months later...

I think par 3 courses need to make a comeback, but as others have said, good stand-alone par 3 courses are expensive to maintain.  A 9-hole par 3 course associated with a regulation size course is probably the best option, depending on the location.  The par 3 course provides a lot of advantages as outlined by the OP.  Another advantage is the multiple opportunities for a hole-in-one!!

If you think that Par 3 courses are typically inexpensive, check out this one...

cd22daf9-5280-4031-8541-b1e6849ce79f_600x399.jpg.35107827976e57214cbc60536b34cb2b.jpg

Hole #11

Featured in Where to Golf Next is The Short Course at Mountain Shadows in Paradise Valley, AZ.
Saturday morning greens fee:  $50-$99

If there was an unofficial motto of The Short Course at Mountain Shadows, then it might likely be “Less Time, More Fun.” The Short Course was the final piece in the $100 million teardown-rebuild of the original luxury resort, which opened in 1960 and is located at the foot of Camelback Mountain between Phoenix and Scottsdale. Architect Jack Snyder’s 1961 original course was a par-56 layout that included two short par-4 holes.

Renovator Forrest Richardson, who worked for Snyder as a young designer, used his $3.5 million reno budget to make it a strictly par-3 course in 2017. Richardson’s big, quick, creative and challenging greens bring strategy and fun into play at every turn, making The Short Course part of the latest trend toward creating astutely-designed Par 3 courses to attract and keep more people playing golf. The Short Course enables players to get around in 2 to 3 hours. Walking is easy and encouraged, though carts are available and cart paths are continuous through the course. Hotel guests may borrow Ping clubs for free, yet 90 percent of play comes from locals.

One group consists of between 40 and 100 local PGA Tour pros, mini-tour players and club pros who play every Tuesday morning and display the kind of high-level short games this course can accommodate. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Par 3s certsinly have their place, but the cost of land in my area has pushed them out and in to houses. At one time my hometwon had 3. Today we jsve none. They all went to new home dwvelopments. Very sad.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 2/27/2019 at 12:37 PM, Kenny B said:

One group consists of between 40 and 100 local PGA Tour pros, mini-tour players and club pros who play every Tuesday morning and display the kind of high-level short games this course can accommodate.

Love that! IMHO - Par 3s and Exec courses should not be thought of solely as "beginner". 

There's a Par 3 not far from me - behind a decent driving range - for $15 and open all year, weather permitting, where each hole is a scaled down recreation of a famous Par 3; eg. that one at Augusta over the creek (#11, I think?).

It's a continuing challenge for me .. as a "developing" player .. to make more Pars vs last time I got out on it.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

57 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Love that! IMHO - Par 3s and Exec courses should not be thought of solely as "beginner". 

There's a Par 3 not far from me - behind a decent driving range - for $15 and open all year, weather permitting, where each hole is a scaled down recreation of a famous Par 3; eg. that one at Augusta over the creek (#11, I think?).

It's a continuing challenge for me .. as a "developing" player .. to make more Pars vs last time I got out on it.

I was amazed there would be 40-100 pros playing an 18 hole par 3 course every Tuesday morning.  Must be some big money involved.  It would be fun to be a spectator.

This is a high end course.  Sounds like your course would be fun to play.  9 holes I assume for $15?  We have two 9 hole par 3 courses in the area, but neither would be what I would call a "must play".  They are nice to work on short game but I can do that at my course so I never go there.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Sounds like your course would be fun to play.  9 holes I assume for $15?  

Yes - 9. (Although it seems like some people make it 18 by giving themselves a free replay....)

There's another, more "family-friendly", 18 hole Par 3 at a beach park that I really like also - becomes an interesting challenge when the wind comes up and whips around!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

9 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yes - 9. (Although it seems like some people make it 18 by giving themselves a free replay....)

There's another, more "family-friendly", 18 hole Par 3 at a beach park that I really like also - becomes an interesting challenge when the wind comes up and whips around!

Around here... "family friendly" means sssllooooooowwww.  

My old course, a 9 hole exec, was a nice place for families.  However, we had free rein of the course and jumped groups to any empty hole.  The local pro had only one rule... there are no rules.

We have a 9 hole par 3 at the local muni. I take my Middle School golf team there and have used it extensively for a MGS test of SCOR wedges. I love to sneak in a quick 9 in the summer for $10 in under an hour.

Honestly I think executive courses with a few par 4’s mixed in could be the real future of golf. That or playing the loop for a reduced rate early or late in the day.

Regardless I applaud creative ways to try and grow the game. Par 3 courses are not as intimidating for beginners and yet still may challenge the serious golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think par 3 courses are a great way to grow the game. It gives beginners and kids a place to start, and should provide a quick round for those that don't have much time to play. The sole drawback to the par 3 courses around here, is the that they are kept in awful condition. If they could create a par 3 that was maintained somewhat, it would be a huge draw to people around here. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

8 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I think par 3 courses are a great way to grow the game. It gives beginners and kids a place to start, and should provide a quick round for those that don't have much time to play. The sole drawback to the par 3 courses around here, is the that they are kept in awful condition. If they could create a par 3 that was maintained somewhat, it would be a huge draw to people around here. 

Par 3's are a great place for beginners and kids, but they are only a place for a quick round if they are empty.

Of the two par 3 courses in town, one is just OK and the other is quite nice.  The nice one started out as a driving range, then they added a course around the range which is bordered by evergreen trees so you don't see the range.  Holes range from short, like 60 yards, to 180 yards.  The course is immaculately maintained because maintenance is run by a group of women who play there.  Nice grass, good greens, and flowers everywhere.  It's like a park.  There are no tee times.  If someone is on the 1st tee, place your ball in the rack and you tee off when the green is clear and your ball is next up.  Perfect!

I miss the one we had here. It was part of a driving range batting cage type place.
All the holes where under 130 yds. You could play it easily with 3 clubs. It was lighted but all that did was attract every misquote within 3 counties.
Most of the guys I play with wish we did have another one but money is the problem.
Heck one of the better courses just closed. It was a country club but you could still get on. It'll be a park soon

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

While my wife is in Florida, she's been playing a couple of different Par 3 courses - what a confidence booster for her (she played very well on both)! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If it wasn’t for the local 9 hole and 18 hole par 3 courses, I would play a lot less golf. Time is so short that I could possibly only play once or twice a month on a regular course. With these short courses I get to play almost every week.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree that par 3 courses are great for adult beginners. I just picked up the game (maybe even have become obsessed with it 😲) last year, and I'm in my late 20's. My local par 3 course has boosted my confidence a lot as I've been able to get a lot of repetitions on an actual course every week, especially with my short irons and wedges. The course is pretty dead around 11 o'clock on Sundays so I actually can play two or three balls without slowing the pace of play. I find it a very efficient way of practicing. Best of all, I'm not breaking the bank. The condition of the course I play is not great. The greens are not well kept, specifically around the edges. All the tee boxes are mats, but I just hit off the grass next to or in front of the mat. What's important to me is that I practice getting solid contact off of the turf, so I'm very pro par 3's.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

I used to live near a 9 hole par 3 course and loved going there.  What a great way to practice iron play and short game.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

That’s where I learned to play, and my Dad promised me once I was able to play there and hit the ball far enough, we would graduate to full size courses. It gave me a lot of confidence. I think this is missing these days as kids have to start on a full-length course with traps, and undulating greens, and this can lead to frustration. I really wish there were more around, even “loops” where once could play three holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I just lost our local par 3 (well, par 60, some 4s in there) as it closed last fall. It was the side project for the owner, taking up all of his free time for almost 20 years. He built it himself. Was a nice little course.

I was told if that he had hired someone to oversee the course to let him get away more, he would have eaten up all of his profit. Sad.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

There is a short 12 hole par 47 course near my cabin I got my kids started at.  Only around 3700 yards with short walks between green to next tee (most people still take carts).  Shorter holes with some narrow fairways, doglegs and small greens to keep it challenging.  I think this is a great place to get started or for practice, especially since it is easy to finish in less than 2 hours.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I do think they help the game.  As mentioned already, these courses are great for beginners and those that are very casual players. They are also good for older folks who have lost the ability to play long courses (even some "senior tees"). I started golf playing a small par 3 course in Florida, that was part of but seperate from the main course, and reserved for kids play on Saturdays. 

It would be interesting to know the business case/challenges concerning a small par 3 vs. a full length track.  My understanding is that running a golf course, particularly these days, is a real challenge.  I always thought it would be cool if the PGA, USGA, and players built/sponsored kid's par 3 courses much like is done for baseball fields/complexes.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

We have one in town that is a fun little course that is lit. It is great fun to go out there for a quick 9, but they have really let it go down hill over the last 5 years and its become a bit of a dog track. 

I would like to buy it and replace the grass greens with high quality artificial turf and the same for the tee boxes. I think that would cut the maintenance cost considerably and the condition will always be great. 

I love the idea (grab half my irons and Wedges, plus putter, easy to haul around in a carry bag, or jus PW and putter), but then look at personal history. Have a Par 3 course 20 mins away, never been. Another an hour way, been once. 

Everytime, I end up going to the range, or playing 4 and a half holes (15 mins away). Observationally, the 20min par 3 (At a seaside resort town, and is very good condition, one of our grounds gaff parents own it, and he learnt how to greens keep there) remains quiet at peak times, as the grandparents will take the kiddies to the range instead. 

So great ideas, but has to overcome a lot of the impetus of habit. 

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

• 3 weeks later...

I think It be great. San Diego has a good one. Wasn’t maintained well. I think if pat 3 courses popped up and we’re maintaied well they be a hit. Great for guys to work on the shots they lose strokes on and for jr or even families to get into golf or so. I live in Northern California and we don’t have any. 

The Cradle at Pinehurst is worth the trip to the area. Save yourself $450 and the agony and skip playing #2 and play it. 

$50 dollars gets you unlimited play for the day. Might be the best deal in golf. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

I think par 3 courses would be more popular paired with a full or championship course. That way there is a range and one location to go to for golf.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

• 1 year later...

If it wasn’t for my local par 3 9 hole course ( they actually have 2 par 4 holes) I wouldn’t play nearly as much golf as I do now. Not because I prefer them, but because of the time commitment. 1.5 to 2 hours I can do a couple of times a week easily. 5 hours plus from the time I leave home until I return is just not an option every week. Maybe twice a month most of the time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Other than a quality practice facility-driving range I cannot think of a better way, fun way to introduce/teach newcomers to the game. Additionally a par 3 course w/multiple tee boxes allows us veterans of the game to get quality practice with the scoring clubs. And most of the time the score card final # makes one feel better than they really are :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We have a nicer par 3 course near me and I'll head out there with a Sunday bag and no tees and just work on my iron game without aimlessly bashing balls on the range... Most days you can get unlimited play after a certain time.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Both Chip and Putt and Par 3 courses would be wonderful if they were more available. I have a 7 year old that i'd love to go play a par 3 course with. 

Additionally, I think adding lights to a par 3 course could extend the golf day and make it more fun.  TopGolf seems too have this market cornered right now but sometimes I just want to be more outside and something more real at like 9pm. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

I think these courses definitely have a place in the world. But If you could pair it well with a putting course and a good range + short game area it would be somewhere that people could go to hang out for a while instead of just play and leave. 

If there was also a bar/restaurant on the premises, accessible easily on holes 4-5 as well, that would be even better.  Make it somewhere you can go with a few clubs, hit around easily, then maybe go putt or hit a small bucket with a beer or cocktail.  I'm thinking Cradle/Thistle Dhu at Pinehurst-esque. 

There is something very close to this in Cleveland.  Washington Learning Center.  Has a range, big putting green, short game area, and a 9 hole exec course with 3 par 4s but longest is 235.  There would be room to put a putting course if they wanted and renovate to have an outdoor bar near the first tee area.  But as this is run by the Cleveland Metroparks I don't think that will happen. 

Sidenote, I am surprised TopGolf hasn't integrated some sort of putt putt into their business.  Its a logical addition, anyone can do it, you're already there waiting, and would be a nice bonus if you wanted to spend more than just 2 hours there in the bay. 

Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9* Stock. 3-Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero, 15*. Hybrid: Sub70 949x Pro 19*. Irons: Taylormade rac LT 3-PW. Wedges: Vokey F-Grind 52*, 58*. Putter: Rife 2-Bar Blade Putter.  Pro V1