could more par 3 courses help the game ?

I think Par 3s are great. They're a great opportunity to teach younger kids how to enjoy the game, and even adult beginners. One of the most positive things for a new player is to get a birdie. Par 3s allow them to do that easier. Remember how excited you were, and most of us still get, when you had your first birdie?!

There is a track by me called Willows Run. They have two 18 hole courses, a 9 hole Par 3 and an 18 hole putt putt course. They are always busy. Even during the rainy Seattle winters. And you can't beat $12 to go walk 9 holes and work on your short game and putting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

When golfing alone, I prefer to play a full sized course so I can work on everything, but I love playing the Par 3s in my area with my wife.  It lets us play cheaply, quickly and its fun for both of us to golf together.    Sometimes I feel like I live in golf paradise.  There are no less than 10 full length public courses , 3 private courses they I can only dream of, including Medinah, and at least four par 3s that are all within 20 minutes of my house.  

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G30 10.5*, Stiff

FW: Ping G 5W, Stiff

Hybrid: PING G 19* Stiff,  Ping G400 22* Stiff

Irons: Taylormade M3 4-PW 3* Up, Project X 5.5

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50* and 54*, Cleveland RTX 2.0 60* 2dot

Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne, 35" PP62 grip

Ball: Srixon Z Star and Pro V1x when I find them looking for my ball

Southpaw who plays golf and bats right handed in Chicago, current index is 14.8

There are three Par 3s within about a 45 or so minute drive of me - and I really enjoying playing each one, as each one has a totally different character and set of challenges.

Yes, they do get busy and backed up during the Summer .. but OTOH it does provide an opportunity for beginners, parents with kids, etc to get out and play in a no judgement no hassle zone...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen5 0811XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0 or Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/A)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Rogue ST Max OS 4H (PX Cypher Black 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

I've thought about this in one form or another through recent years. I tried leading an initiative with our city council to renovate our only muni in town. Sadly, it mostly fell on deaf ears. They own and run a goat ranch and appears it will remain goat. The city council all prefer playing their golf at the Country Club. (I play at a CC too) Anyway....

Our golf committee made a few suggestions to them to not only renovate the existing 36 holes but to "rethink" their entire approach to muni golf. One suggestion was to eliminate 9-holes and repurpose the acreage for other events like; concerts, car shows, plays, picnics, farmers markets, family gatherings, etc, etc. Part of the reason here was to eliminate the expense of maintaining a golf course. (the city doesn't support the course financially therefore - goat.) Another suggestion was to redesign one of the 9's into an executive 9 and or make a lighted par three using one of the 9 holes. Our vision/plans for the city was based on the Community Links concept put forth by Staples Golf of Arizona. In my general area there are 3 par three courses each connected to an 18-hole course. One is located at a private club and the other two are at muni's. Are they successful? That I cannot answer. None of them are lighted.

Lastly to answer the question of this thread.... Yes. I do think par three courses could help the game. But like everything; it all depends.

http://www.staplesgolfdesign.com/community-links/

http://www.staplesgolfdesign.com/community-links/the-white-paper.aspx

Those all are great ideas .. shame the city council (golfers themselves!) are not listening..... There should be different types of golfing opportunities for different people.

Another idea I think has a lot of merit and saw in an article recently, and being reviewed in Hawaii, is to lease out a part of the muni course acreage .. with some sort of revenue sharing .. to Top Golf.

..PXG Gen5 0811XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0 or Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/A)

My first intro to golf was a chip n putt. Par 3 course but only 60-80 yard tops for each hole. I'm assuming you mean a real 100-200 yard par 3 but this got me started and was fun. Every now and then I go with my parents brings back ol memories. I agree it's a great starter for young kids and perfect place to start.

• Like 1

I think so. A par 3 is where I learned the game and built my confidence level enough to take it to the big course. I also taught my wife to play on a par 3 and its where she caught the golf bug. I also think its much less intimidating to learn the game there, especially for adults who may be afraid of embarrassing themselves. 

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I'm another one who got his start on a Par 3 course. Not only are they great for both seniors and juniors playing separately, they are great for seniors to bring their junior golfer grandchildren.

There are two par 3 courses within 15 minutes of my house, and they couldn't be more different. One is on the site of an upscale daily fee that used to be owned by the Virginia State Golf Association. It's immaculate. Juniors used to be able to play for $1 with a paying adult ($20). The new ownership raised the junior fee to $10.

The other par 3 is attached to a driving range/batting cage/go kart track. It has artificial turf tees, and it's not in great shape. But it has lights, and it's about $10-$15 to play. And golf under the lights is its own kind of fun.

I would think that high quality artificial tees and greens would make for a fairly maintainable par 3 that's not attached to a larger course. Perhaps the USGA should invest some of its war chest in this in a legitimate attempt to grow the game.

One thing they need to think about in growing the game is not just bringing in new golfers. They also need to be thinking about how to get people who play just a few times a year playing more often. These are often the people constrained by time and money. Par 3 courses are a great solution to that. Anything that puts a club in someone's hands and keeps a club in their hands is good for the game. They're less likely to drift away.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

I think par 3 or executive course would be ideal.And one that maybe has a lighted range as well for after dark fun.Unfortunately, this great sport has a terrible stigma that was ingrained decades ago.Hard to escape that this great game was centered around the older elitist crowd.No matter how fun or accessible you make this for all.That negative mark is a tough one to make disappear

• Like 4

When I started back to playing a few weeks ago, I would stop a couple times and played a Par 3 course that had a driving range. The greens were crap but it was still good practice.

• Like 1

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425LST 9° on Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6s

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G425LST 3w on Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7s

:ping-small:  G425MAX 7w on Project X Hzrdus RDX Red Smoke 6.0

:ping-small:  G425MAX 9w on Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0

Utility:    :cobra-small:  KING Forged Utility Black  4    on   UST RECOIL SMACWRAP

Irons:     :cobra-small: KING Forged TEC Black 5-G on Mitsubishi  MMT 

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 60° on KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:    :EVNROLL: ER5B

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1 :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

n.Unfortunately, this great sport has a terrible stigma that was ingrained decades ago.Hard to escape that this great game was centered around the older elitist crowd.No matter how fun or accessible you make this for all.That negative mark is a tough one to make disappear

I totally agree with this post.Last week I took my niece for summer sport signups.They had booths and demos for every sport the school offers.Having introduced her to the game last year I was hoping she would head to the golf booth.She gravitated towards the cheer leading and soccer area.Both of these booths had heavy traffic and will have a huge class size.I hinted to her sign up for the summer golf league.She looked at the small group of kids that were at that booth and shook her head no.My niece told me those are the kids that Everyone makes fun of signing up.They developed a great summer golf program here with lessons-unlimited golf for the season (and all for free).Believe me, I would've signed up if they would take me.The booth had maybe 5 kids out of hundreds that attended the sign ups.Not sure what can be done to help promote golf.Nothing seems to be working here

It's a real niche type of activity.Im thinking the younger generation is looking for something more spontaneous or fast.Maybe a ball sitting on the ground to be hit just lacks the luster they desire

• Like 1

Keep it in the short stuff

We had one par 3 course in the area and it was part of a larger full 18 hole course. Unfortunately both closed due to less play combined with rising water costs during the years of drought we had.

It's a shame as now my kids are getting into the game and it would have been perfect for them. That's where I started. I remember as a teenager playing the pitch n putt all the time with my buddies. We had a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 8 months later...

I think par 3 courses need to make a comeback, but as others have said, good stand-alone par 3 courses are expensive to maintain.  A 9-hole par 3 course associated with a regulation size course is probably the best option, depending on the location.  The par 3 course provides a lot of advantages as outlined by the OP.  Another advantage is the multiple opportunities for a hole-in-one!!

If you think that Par 3 courses are typically inexpensive, check out this one...

cd22daf9-5280-4031-8541-b1e6849ce79f_600x399.jpg.35107827976e57214cbc60536b34cb2b.jpg

Hole #11

Featured in Where to Golf Next is The Short Course at Mountain Shadows in Paradise Valley, AZ.
Saturday morning greens fee:  $50-$99

If there was an unofficial motto of The Short Course at Mountain Shadows, then it might likely be “Less Time, More Fun.” The Short Course was the final piece in the $100 million teardown-rebuild of the original luxury resort, which opened in 1960 and is located at the foot of Camelback Mountain between Phoenix and Scottsdale. Architect Jack Snyder’s 1961 original course was a par-56 layout that included two short par-4 holes.

Renovator Forrest Richardson, who worked for Snyder as a young designer, used his $3.5 million reno budget to make it a strictly par-3 course in 2017. Richardson’s big, quick, creative and challenging greens bring strategy and fun into play at every turn, making The Short Course part of the latest trend toward creating astutely-designed Par 3 courses to attract and keep more people playing golf. The Short Course enables players to get around in 2 to 3 hours. Walking is easy and encouraged, though carts are available and cart paths are continuous through the course. Hotel guests may borrow Ping clubs for free, yet 90 percent of play comes from locals.

One group consists of between 40 and 100 local PGA Tour pros, mini-tour players and club pros who play every Tuesday morning and display the kind of high-level short games this course can accommodate. 

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Par 3s certsinly have their place, but the cost of land in my area has pushed them out and in to houses. At one time my hometwon had 3. Today we jsve none. They all went to new home dwvelopments. Very sad.

• Sad 1

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 2/27/2019 at 12:37 PM, Kenny B said:

One group consists of between 40 and 100 local PGA Tour pros, mini-tour players and club pros who play every Tuesday morning and display the kind of high-level short games this course can accommodate.

Love that! IMHO - Par 3s and Exec courses should not be thought of solely as "beginner". 

There's a Par 3 not far from me - behind a decent driving range - for $15 and open all year, weather permitting, where each hole is a scaled down recreation of a famous Par 3; eg. that one at Augusta over the creek (#11, I think?).

It's a continuing challenge for me .. as a "developing" player .. to make more Pars vs last time I got out on it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Love that! IMHO - Par 3s and Exec courses should not be thought of solely as "beginner". 

There's a Par 3 not far from me - behind a decent driving range - for $15 and open all year, weather permitting, where each hole is a scaled down recreation of a famous Par 3; eg. that one at Augusta over the creek (#11, I think?).

It's a continuing challenge for me .. as a "developing" player .. to make more Pars vs last time I got out on it.

I was amazed there would be 40-100 pros playing an 18 hole par 3 course every Tuesday morning.  Must be some big money involved.  It would be fun to be a spectator.

This is a high end course.  Sounds like your course would be fun to play.  9 holes I assume for $15?  We have two 9 hole par 3 courses in the area, but neither would be what I would call a "must play".  They are nice to work on short game but I can do that at my course so I never go there.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Sounds like your course would be fun to play.  9 holes I assume for $15?  

Yes - 9. (Although it seems like some people make it 18 by giving themselves a free replay....)

There's another, more "family-friendly", 18 hole Par 3 at a beach park that I really like also - becomes an interesting challenge when the wind comes up and whips around!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yes - 9. (Although it seems like some people make it 18 by giving themselves a free replay....)

There's another, more "family-friendly", 18 hole Par 3 at a beach park that I really like also - becomes an interesting challenge when the wind comes up and whips around!

Around here... "family friendly" means sssllooooooowwww.  

My old course, a 9 hole exec, was a nice place for families.  However, we had free rein of the course and jumped groups to any empty hole.  The local pro had only one rule... there are no rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a 9 hole par 3 at the local muni. I take my Middle School golf team there and have used it extensively for a MGS test of SCOR wedges. I love to sneak in a quick 9 in the summer for $10 in under an hour.

Honestly I think executive courses with a few par 4’s mixed in could be the real future of golf. That or playing the loop for a reduced rate early or late in the day.

Regardless I applaud creative ways to try and grow the game. Par 3 courses are not as intimidating for beginners and yet still may challenge the serious golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I think par 3 courses are a great way to grow the game. It gives beginners and kids a place to start, and should provide a quick round for those that don't have much time to play. The sole drawback to the par 3 courses around here, is the that they are kept in awful condition. If they could create a par 3 that was maintained somewhat, it would be a huge draw to people around here. 

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

8 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I think par 3 courses are a great way to grow the game. It gives beginners and kids a place to start, and should provide a quick round for those that don't have much time to play. The sole drawback to the par 3 courses around here, is the that they are kept in awful condition. If they could create a par 3 that was maintained somewhat, it would be a huge draw to people around here. 

Par 3's are a great place for beginners and kids, but they are only a place for a quick round if they are empty.

Of the two par 3 courses in town, one is just OK and the other is quite nice.  The nice one started out as a driving range, then they added a course around the range which is bordered by evergreen trees so you don't see the range.  Holes range from short, like 60 yards, to 180 yards.  The course is immaculately maintained because maintenance is run by a group of women who play there.  Nice grass, good greens, and flowers everywhere.  It's like a park.  There are no tee times.  If someone is on the 1st tee, place your ball in the rack and you tee off when the green is clear and your ball is next up.  Perfect!

• Like 1