TESTERS WANTED! ×

Men’s League - What do you like?

Scooter316

I'm looking to get input from anyone who is part of a Men's League at their local club. I am in charge of running a 9-hole Men's League at a 27-hole public facility but have been told to change the league setup to match the other courses in the company. The current setup has it where the players are split into 4 groups, each with a 1 hour block (either 5-6 or 6-7) on different 9 holes. Each week the teams are rotated so if you have a 5-6 time one week, you have a 6-7 time the week after. Same thing with course, if you play course 1 this week, you get course 2 next week. Players are required to either call in or book online at noon on the Tuesday prior to the coming Monday for tee times. Teams are permitted to continue playing the rest of the course at no additional fee after they have finished their league 9 so early times could possibly squeeze in 18. I'm personally a fan of having set tee times compared to a system where you have to try and be the first person to call and get lucky on what times are still available.

Now with all that being said, I want to know what your men's league does for tee times? Do you have a consistent shotgun time? Do you have tee times over the entire day? Or is it a set tee sheet so you have one time reserved every week without having to book?

I would love any feedback on what you prefer about your league, including what competitions, prizes, games, or events are held.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I play in two leagues - one is shot gun start at 5 pm the other is you play any time after 3 first come, first serve.

Both are fine, guys will play if it's their night to play.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Our league is stroke play on Tuesdays (18 holes) and match play (2 man teams) on Thursday night (9 holes). The stroke play rotates the players every week so you get to play with everyone before summer is over. The match play is a 2 man team. Both Tuesday and Thursday's are skins games. Both Tuesday and Thursday leagues are shotgun starts.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

We do a shot gun at 5:15 on Thursdays It's a great league. 2 man better ball match play with 90% handicap.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

5PM shotgun start for the men's league I play in. A bit crazy this year as the guy in charge of running it is new to the course and doesn't seem to have it together. Full handicaps based on a minimum of 5 league rounds.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

5PM shotgun start for the men's league I play in. A bit crazy this year as the guy in charge of running it is new to the course and doesn't seem to have it together. Full handicaps based on a minimum of 5 league rounds.

MDGolfHacker

Unfortunately he's not new. It only seems like it. He's been there almost two years

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My club has two men's leagues.  Tuesday night 9-hole league that does a shotgun start at 6pm.  Also an 18-hole league on Wednesday's where you just book a tee time whenever you want throughout the day.  

On the Wed league though they do let us have reserved times each week.  So my group has 2 tee times at 2:36 & 2:44 every Wed that we don't have to re-book each week.  Pretty much every tee time after 1:30 is already spoken for and reserved each week so sometimes it's hard for newbie's that want to join.  

Personally in a league setting it's nice to know exactly when you will tee off each week.  It makes it much easier to plan around.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My club has two men's leagues. Tuesday night 9-hole league that does a shotgun start at 6pm. Also an 18-hole league on Wednesday's where you just book a tee time whenever you want throughout the day.

On the Wed league though they do let us have reserved times each week. So my group has 2 tee times at 2:36 & 2:44 every Wed that we don't have to re-book each week. Pretty much every tee time after 1:30 is already spoken for and reserved each week so sometimes it's hard for newbie's that want to join.

Personally in a league setting it's nice to know exactly when you will tee off each week. It makes it much easier to plan around.

I like that idea if your Wed league. Our course only has one 18 hole league and it is on Thuesday am shotgun and is 99% Seniors.

I think there would be room for a league like this at our place. What is the format of the Wed league?

I play in a 32 man, 1 vs 1 league. It's 100% handicap and even gives strokes on par 3's. 

For games we all put in $5. 3 of it goes towards skins and $2 goes towards green balls. 

The league itself has been around for 40+ years. The guys running it are fantastic. I love the website that they use. I like that we start the year with an 18 hole round, play a first half (8 qualify for the playoffs), then we start the second half with an 18 hole round and play a second half (8 that haven't already qualified for the playoffs, qualify for the playoffs).

There are then two 18 hole rounds on consecutive weekends to determine the champion. The first weekend it goes from 16 guys down to 4. First 9 holes go from 16 to 8 and then the second9, from 8 guys to 4. The next weekend the final 4 play a cumulative match. Each guy is playing the other on every hole...including handicap....through all 18 holes. Other members of the league are playing as well which includes greenballs/skins. 

Points are accumulated over the year. There are prizes for 1st half point leader, 2nd half point leader, overall point leader, lowest handicap, making the playoffs, and then your finish in the playoffs. 

There's also a separate playoff bracket that is run like an NCAA tournament where you pick from the guys that made the playoffs and go from there. Anyone in the league, and even folks not in the league can enter this. 

At the end of championship day there's the payouts for all the things from the year, including the playoff pool....along with food. 

It's a great year of golf!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Unfortunately he's not new. It only seems like it. He's been there almost two years

He has?? Lol..

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The common theme that I am seeing is that most of you prefer to have a set tee time so that you know exactly when you are playing each week. I love the idea of the 1v1 match play but I don't think that's something the guys in my league would be looking at. Is there anything from your leagues that you want changed?

My course has several leagues.  The Men's Club plays every day at a set tee time in the mornings.  Time varies according to the time of year.  Now through summer it's 8am.  The exception is Fridays when it's noon; big money game.

Work leagues are Mon, Tue, and Wed. starting at 4pm; various companies.  I can't say for all leagues; I only played in the Mon league, but we had 4-person teams.  Tee times were set by the league coordinator and rotated during the summer so players didn't always get early or late tee times.  Teams had two back-to-back tee times; one foursome was our top player against the other team's top player and our second best player agains their second best player. The second tee time were the 3 and 4 players. Strictly net scores by hole.  

My team consisted of people, like me, that traveled a lot for work.  We had 10 people on our team, and it was difficult some weeks to field a 4-person team.  We had one retired guy that only played as a fill-in.  I'm now that retired guy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not sure if this has been done, but I would like to see an 18 hole league split over two days with afternoon/evening tee times. I think for working/familied folks this would be more manageable, and might help get people into the game. Format could be whatever, or maybe rotate week to week to keep it interesting and get folks learning about different styles of play.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I like that idea if your Wed league. Our course only has one 18 hole league and it is on Thuesday am shotgun and is 99% Seniors.

I think there would be room for a league like this at our place. What is the format of the Wed league?

This year we are trying something different for payouts.  Normally we have a gross (1/3 payout) division and net (2/3 payout) division.  This year we decided to do only net payouts, but split in to thirds by handicap.  So top 1/3 division 1, 2/3 division 2, 3/3 division 3.  The idea being that realistically only a handful of guys have an opportunity to win the gross division so why is 1/3 of everyone's money automatically going to those guys?

Every week we have a different event though.  Could be drop 1 par 5, 1 par 4, 1 par 3 and then total score.  Beat the pro/gm.  Only par 3's.  Straight net score.  On major it's usually pick a pro and then your score plus their Thurs score.  I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Aside from the weekly event we also have 3 "opt in" events.  $5 bucks to get in to net skins, $5 to get in to gross skin.  $2 to get in neary's (one on each 9 and pot is split between winners).  Then we have a year long competition to get in to a shootout.  It's $3 each week to enter and it's just your net back 9 score.  At the end of the year the 10 low score tee off on #10 together and one guy is eliminated each hole until there are two left on 18 tee and they play for the pot.  It's a net event and once you qualify with a low score you don't have to pay each week unless you get knocked out and want to try again.

I just realized how convoluted that answer was, but basically there is a different event each week and everybody plays 18 holes at any time during they day they want.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

He has?? Lol..

MDGolfHacker

J, Read below.  I think "our guy" could keep track of those formats....Oh Lord, it would have disaster written all over it... :wub:  :unsure:  :(  :angry:  :blink:  :wacko:

This year we are trying something different for payouts.  Normally we have a gross (1/3 payout) division and net (2/3 payout) division.  This year we decided to do only net payouts, but split in to thirds by handicap.  So top 1/3 division 1, 2/3 division 2, 3/3 division 3.  The idea being that realistically only a handful of guys have an opportunity to win the gross division so why is 1/3 of everyone's money automatically going to those guys?

Every week we have a different event though.  Could be drop 1 par 5, 1 par 4, 1 par 3 and then total score.  Beat the pro/gm.  Only par 3's.  Straight net score.  On major it's usually pick a pro and then your score plus their Thurs score.  I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Aside from the weekly event we also have 3 "opt in" events.  $5 bucks to get in to net skins, $5 to get in to gross skin.  $2 to get in neary's (one on each 9 and pot is split between winners).  Then we have a year long competition to get in to a shootout.  It's $3 each week to enter and it's just your net back 9 score.  At the end of the year the 10 low score tee off on #10 together and one guy is eliminated each hole until there are two left on 18 tee and they play for the pot.  It's a net event and once you qualify with a low score you don't have to pay each week unless you get knocked out and want to try again.

I just realized how convoluted that answer was, but basically there is a different event each week and everybody plays 18 holes at any time during they day they want.

I really like the variety of those formats.   Keeps things interesting for the year.   Might be a bit much for our League "commissioner" to handle though.  

Archived