2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
adog

Best golf courses in small towns

Hello. Which small towns have the best golf courses in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you are ever in Missoula Montana you will find three top notch golf courses. Larchmont, Canyon River and The Ranch Club. Population 75000

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Black Wolf Run

Koehler WI population 2120

Top 100 course

Whistling Straits is higher rated and Haven is smaller yet.

• Like 4

I guess I'll pick some from my state. There are a bunch of good courses in smaller towns since that's about all MS has lol

West Point MS has around 10k people and has 2 of the best courses in the state. The original course is Old Waverly which hosted a women's US open in 99. The newer course is Mossy Oak golf club. Its a Gil Hanse design and golf digest had it as the #3 best new course in 2017. Golfweek had it in the top 100 modern courses as well. 

• Like 3

The municipal course in Carthage, MO is one of the best in my area for the price. Next in line would be Peoria Ridge in Miami, OK which can often be had at a better price if you book online. An even nicer course (from what I hear since I've never played it) is the Shangri La course in Grove, OK. There are plenty of wonderful courses to be found all over rural USA.

• Like 1

Victoria Hills in DeLand FL. It's an amazing course the you would swear you are playing in the foothills rather than in Florida. It's probably 30-40 minutes outside of Orlando, depending on where you are staying in Orlando.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Victoria Hills in DeLand FL. It's an amazing course the you would swear you are playing in the foothills rather than in Florida. It's probably 30-40 minutes outside of Orlando, depending on where you are staying in Orlando.

Have you played World Woods or better still Black Diamond Quarry?

• Like 1

We just played at a sweet little challenging club in Jackpot, Nevada, population just shy of 2,000..!

http://www.jackpotgolfclub.com/

Very well kept course with lots of tough holes-several being blind shots from the tees. Brand new carts/buggies/trolleys too which were super nice electric jobs. Great little practice green and a not-too-bad range, both right by the clubhouse which has a nice pro shop, grill & full bar.

If ever travelling through Northern Nevada (maybe headed into Idaho..?!), totally worth a stop to play a round or two and maybe get some gambling action.

Cheers!

• Like 1

How small do you consider "small"?  Because it would be tough to beat Pinehurst, North Carolina, population 15,945!

• Like 5

I like Mission Inn at Howey in the Hills, FL.  It too is relatively close to Orlando. 

• Like 2

How small do you consider "small"? Because it would be tough to beat Pinehurst, North Carolina, population 15,945!

Ha Ha. So obvious, I didn't even think of it.

Thread Winner...close the doors.

That said I'll nominate Fredrick, MD as runner up. Within 10 to 15 miles of town there are no less than 8 quality courses. One constantly rates in the top 3 of the state. One annually hosts a US Open Qualifier, one is an Arthur Hillls design and one is a PB Dye (Pete's son) design.

I could play any of them for the rest of my life and be content.

• Like 3

Have you played World Woods or better still Black Diamond Quarry?

Played Black Diamond once, great course. My game was all over the place that season. I don't know how this one slipped my mind. It's another course you kind of forget you're in Florida.

As for World Woods, no I haven't had the chance. I was supposed there with some friends once in a tournament but it got rained out.

First thought for this thread was Streamsong, but I wanted you try and show some love to a hidden gem.

• Like 1

Harbor shores, Benton Harbor Michigan.

Have you been to Swan Lake in Plymouth, IN. Great spot for a stay and play with the guys or your wife.

Whittaker Woods is on my list. Have you played it? Might get there on the way back from Gull Lake Resort this year. We do Gull Lake every 4th of July, they have 6 courses associated to the resort, two on property and 4 a short drive away. Get spot for serious guys outing. We do a shamble, 2 man scramble, 4 man scramble, 2 man best ball, 4 man best ball. Points are awarded for score, closest too & some other stuff. Two top guys pick a Ryder Cup Team for 6th and final round. Good times. 

https://www.swanlakeresort.com/

http://www.golfwhittaker.com/

https://www.gulllakeview.com/golf/golf-courses/

• Like 2

Kebo Valley Club In Bar Harbor, ME

• Like 1

Ha Ha. So obvious, I didn't even think of it.

Thread Winner...close the doors.

That said I'll nominate Fredrick, MD as runner up. Within 10 to 15 miles of town there are no less than 8 quality courses. One constantly rates in the top 3 of the state. One annually hosts a US Open Qualifier, one is an Arthur Hillls design and one is a PB Dye (Pete's son) design.

I could play any of them for the rest of my life and be content.

Bandon Oregon, from everything I have heard from close friends, is a very close second.  I'm making every effort to make the trek in 2019.

• Like 4

I haven't played it yet but I will nominate:

Arcadia Bluffs in Arcadia, Mi population 610

Ranked #13 Public course in US

This is on my bucket list for this year along with

Greywalls in Marquette, Mi ranked #10 in Michigan.

I'll never get to play Crystal Downs or the Kingsley Club, so these and maybe Forest Dunes will have to work.

I'd probably nominate The Gailes in Oscoda, Mi too. That's getting checked off in July.

• Like 4

Oh, and I forgot The Belvedere in Charlevoix. Tom Watson can be found out there from time to time. Walter Hagen and Sam Snead loved the course too.

I don't know about rankings, but I always enjoyed the following Texas/Louisiana tracks on business:

Pine Dunes in Frankston, TX - Population 1,229

Eagle Pointe Golf Club in Mont Belvieu, TX - Pop 3,835 (60% increase from 2010 census)

Bluffs on Thompson Creek in St Francisville, LA - Pop 1,712

White Bluff in Whitney, TX - Pop 2,087 - But I heard the course is shut-down in a showdown between owner and member...maybe our poster from Whitney, TX can chime in. 

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses. One day im packing only what will fit in my truck, (mostly golf gear ), picking one of these places, and spending a whole season playing golf everyday! At least thats the dream. Keep em coming!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1