Best golf courses in small towns

adog

Black Wolf Run

Koehler WI population 2120

Top 100 course

Whistling Straits is higher rated and Haven is smaller yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I guess I'll pick some from my state. There are a bunch of good courses in smaller towns since that's about all MS has lol

West Point MS has around 10k people and has 2 of the best courses in the state. The original course is Old Waverly which hosted a women's US open in 99. The newer course is Mossy Oak golf club. Its a Gil Hanse design and golf digest had it as the #3 best new course in 2017. Golfweek had it in the top 100 modern courses as well. 

• Like 3

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

The municipal course in Carthage, MO is one of the best in my area for the price. Next in line would be Peoria Ridge in Miami, OK which can often be had at a better price if you book online. An even nicer course (from what I hear since I've never played it) is the Shangri La course in Grove, OK. There are plenty of wonderful courses to be found all over rural USA.

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Victoria Hills in DeLand FL. It's an amazing course the you would swear you are playing in the foothills rather than in Florida. It's probably 30-40 minutes outside of Orlando, depending on where you are staying in Orlando.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Victoria Hills in DeLand FL. It's an amazing course the you would swear you are playing in the foothills rather than in Florida. It's probably 30-40 minutes outside of Orlando, depending on where you are staying in Orlando.

Have you played World Woods or better still Black Diamond Quarry?

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

We just played at a sweet little challenging club in Jackpot, Nevada, population just shy of 2,000..!

http://www.jackpotgolfclub.com/

Very well kept course with lots of tough holes-several being blind shots from the tees. Brand new carts/buggies/trolleys too which were super nice electric jobs. Great little practice green and a not-too-bad range, both right by the clubhouse which has a nice pro shop, grill & full bar.

If ever travelling through Northern Nevada (maybe headed into Idaho..?!), totally worth a stop to play a round or two and maybe get some gambling action.

Cheers!

• Like 1

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

How small do you consider "small"?  Because it would be tough to beat Pinehurst, North Carolina, population 15,945!

• Like 5

I like Mission Inn at Howey in the Hills, FL.  It too is relatively close to Orlando. 

• Like 2

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Mavrik with Reg. Flex UST Mamiya Helium Black 4 Graphite Shaft
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5-X  PIC

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

How small do you consider "small"? Because it would be tough to beat Pinehurst, North Carolina, population 15,945!

Ha Ha. So obvious, I didn't even think of it.

Thread Winner...close the doors.

That said I'll nominate Fredrick, MD as runner up. Within 10 to 15 miles of town there are no less than 8 quality courses. One constantly rates in the top 3 of the state. One annually hosts a US Open Qualifier, one is an Arthur Hillls design and one is a PB Dye (Pete's son) design.

I could play any of them for the rest of my life and be content.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Have you played World Woods or better still Black Diamond Quarry?

Played Black Diamond once, great course. My game was all over the place that season. I don't know how this one slipped my mind. It's another course you kind of forget you're in Florida.

As for World Woods, no I haven't had the chance. I was supposed there with some friends once in a tournament but it got rained out.

First thought for this thread was Streamsong, but I wanted you try and show some love to a hidden gem.

• Like 1

Harbor shores, Benton Harbor Michigan.

Have you been to Swan Lake in Plymouth, IN. Great spot for a stay and play with the guys or your wife.

Whittaker Woods is on my list. Have you played it? Might get there on the way back from Gull Lake Resort this year. We do Gull Lake every 4th of July, they have 6 courses associated to the resort, two on property and 4 a short drive away. Get spot for serious guys outing. We do a shamble, 2 man scramble, 4 man scramble, 2 man best ball, 4 man best ball. Points are awarded for score, closest too & some other stuff. Two top guys pick a Ryder Cup Team for 6th and final round. Good times. 

https://www.swanlakeresort.com/

http://www.golfwhittaker.com/

https://www.gulllakeview.com/golf/golf-courses/

• Like 2

Rounds per year: 80-90. 

Handicap: 11.6

In my Bag:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR (Adjusted 1/2 to the draw side and 8* loft)

Fairway Woods: 3 & 5 Taylormade SLDR

Irons 4-AW: Taylormade M2 (2016)

Wedges: Volkey SM6 56* and SM7 60*

Balls: ProVx - preferred, Calloway Chrome second.

Holes in one: None  ;)

Albatross: ONE!  :D

Eagles: Many

Favorite golf slogan: It's a target game, not a distance game. 

Kebo Valley Club In Bar Harbor, ME

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Ha Ha. So obvious, I didn't even think of it.

Thread Winner...close the doors.

That said I'll nominate Fredrick, MD as runner up. Within 10 to 15 miles of town there are no less than 8 quality courses. One constantly rates in the top 3 of the state. One annually hosts a US Open Qualifier, one is an Arthur Hillls design and one is a PB Dye (Pete's son) design.

I could play any of them for the rest of my life and be content.

Bandon Oregon, from everything I have heard from close friends, is a very close second.  I'm making every effort to make the trek in 2019.

• Like 4

I haven't played it yet but I will nominate:

Arcadia Bluffs in Arcadia, Mi population 610

Ranked #13 Public course in US

This is on my bucket list for this year along with

Greywalls in Marquette, Mi ranked #10 in Michigan.

I'll never get to play Crystal Downs or the Kingsley Club, so these and maybe Forest Dunes will have to work.

I'd probably nominate The Gailes in Oscoda, Mi too. That's getting checked off in July.

• Like 4

I don't know about rankings, but I always enjoyed the following Texas/Louisiana tracks on business:

Pine Dunes in Frankston, TX - Population 1,229

Eagle Pointe Golf Club in Mont Belvieu, TX - Pop 3,835 (60% increase from 2010 census)

Bluffs on Thompson Creek in St Francisville, LA - Pop 1,712

White Bluff in Whitney, TX - Pop 2,087 - But I heard the course is shut-down in a showdown between owner and member...maybe our poster from Whitney, TX can chime in. 

• Like 1

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses. One day im packing only what will fit in my truck, (mostly golf gear ), picking one of these places, and spending a whole season playing golf everyday! At least thats the dream. Keep em coming!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1