hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Wilson C300 Irons

Seem pretty scratched up based on those pictures.   Your miss on the toe?  

Seem pretty scratched up based on those pictures. Your miss on the toe?

Yes and yes.

Already have some paint fill chips too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Oh wow, they don't seem to be holding up very well 😢

Oh wow, they don't seem to be holding up very well

That is what I was thinking and they are the cast ones that should theoretically be a little more durable.  

That is what I was thinking and they are the cast ones that should theoretically be a little more durable.

Indeed. I don't know if the cavity design leads to easier paint scuffing, but I'm a bit disappointed. I'll go through the others more tomorrow and post a side by side with a lesser used iron.

• Like 1

Dang. Those are a lot of scratches for such little use. Yikes. I wonder why their metal shows wear like that so quickly???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was able to get some time in on the launch monitor at MGS Labs after I did some 3 wood testing for Most Wanted. I didn't put the stickers on to measure the club data but I was able to get ball numbers. Approach I took was similar to how most wanted works, I hit 5 shots with each club (6 iron) and then switched to the other and I used the Bridgestone B330-RX balls used for most wanted testing. I also checked the the length and swingweight; both came in at D2 and surprisingly the lengths were the same, even though I expected the C300s to be longer based on unmeasured specs. Loft on the C300 is 2* more than the XHot Pros

So how did the testing go? Well, I could make you wait until Stage 2, but since I got a twitter shout out from Adam, I thought I would post my early thoughts.

I have attached some images from the GCQuad that show averages and the individual shots. Overall, I was swinging the club okay and had a few really bad shots that I did delete from the numbers. Feel between the clubs was basically the same for me even though one is cast and one is forged. While most people state that forged is "softer" my particular feel ranks them equal in feel.

As we look at the head to head comparison, we see that the C300 forged had a higher average ball speed and a more consistent ball speed. With the additional loft, it makes sense that the launch and backspin were higher. Higher launch and more ballspeed resulted in more distance; perhaps the power holes do provide some increased performance Looking at the grouping circles, we see a that the XHot Pros had a a narrower dispersion but more distance variation; which we can also see by looking at the standard deviation numbers.

attachicon.gifIMG_0337 (Small).JPG

If we dig into the details of the individual shots we can see that there are a couple of shots that skew the distance numbers for the XHot Pros just as a couple of shots skew the left/right distribution for the C300. Looking at rows that have similar ball speed numbers I think my current Callaway irons hold a slight advantage. From a consistency perspective, the C300s seem to hold a slight advantage.

attachicon.gifIMG_0339 (Small).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0340 (Small).JPG

Still early in our testing window but it seems to be shaping up to be a good battle between these two irons.

In looking at the distances, you have a variance of 150-184 yards with the Callaways, but the Wilsons don't have that large of a gap. Man, I don't want 35 yards difference out of my irons! Wilsons look better to me by far! Give me consistency on/off-center every time!!!

• Like 1

In looking at the distances, you have a variance of 150-184 yards with the Callaways, but the Wilsons don't have that large of a gap. Man, I don't want 35 yards difference out of my irons! Wilsons look better to me by far! Give me consistency on/off-center every time!!!

Yep and I agree with you on the variations.  The next thing I need to figure out is where on the face am I hitting the ball.  Hoping to get some impact tape or foot powder to check that out.  If I am hitting the Wilson's more on the center then it probably leans toward the shaft/lie angle being the reason.  If they are both similar in impact, then it leans more toward the clubhead.  

• Like 2

Here's my 7i up against my 4i, which is the least hit (so far) iron in my bag to compare wear and finish. 4i is on the top.

IMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

• Like 1

Yep and I agree with you on the variations. The next thing I need to figure out is where on the face am I hitting the ball. Hoping to get some impact tape or foot powder to check that out. If I am hitting the Wilson's more on the center then it probably leans toward the shaft/lie angle being the reason. If they are both similar in impact, then it leans more toward the clubhead.

Those wouldn't be the first Cally clubs with “hot spots”....

• Like 1

Supposed to be testing 3 Woods at the MGS LXB tonight. Going to try and get some impact tape or put the dots On my 6 iron to see how my face impact looks. Trying to follow up on my ball speed difference to see if the Wilson's fit me better or if the ball speed on misshits is more consistent.

• Like 3

That seems like a lot of wear for one round and less than 10 range sessions. But, that's what this testing is all about, finding the good, and the bad of each product.

Keep it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Supposed to be testing 3 Woods at the MGS LXB tonight. Going to try and get some impact tape or put the dots On my 6 iron to see how my face impact looks. Trying to follow up on my ball speed difference to see if the Wilson's fit me better or if the ball speed on misshits is more consistent.

My testing time has been deferred. Will do this test next time I can get to the range or MGS LXB

I cleaned up my irons this morning and was pretty disappointed to feel how rough the toe of the 7i is. That's the side I miss on and you can see and feel what semi-decent range balls have done to the face already.

• Like 1

Do you think it is miss hits that are causing it or is it down to the materials?

Do you think it is miss hits that are causing it or is it down to the materials?

I pulled my D200 7i out and the face by the toe feels much smoother. And those have 2 seasons of my miss hits on them. 

Ok we will go with materials then. Such a shame because they are nice looking irons.

Finally got over to test the lab to do some more testing,   Today was trying to figure out where I was hitting the ball on the face to see if the Xhots were causing the big ball speed variations or if the C300s have a big sweetspot and keep the ball speed up.  

I was hitting the ball fairly well today and I think the numbers reflect this.  Alternated clubs after hitting 5 shots for a total of 10 shots with each club.  6 iron was used again. I didn't drop any shots and as you can see toe is my normal miss.  

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

C300s seem to launch higher with a bit more spin and the XHots seem to be a little bit longer.   Maybe it is just my lack of knowledge on fitting, but both sets seem to perform pretty equally for me.  

i think I have the info I need from LM sessions;  time to get these out to the course a few more times and see how they work on the course.  

• Like 6

Just putting my two cents about the durability. I've had my C300 forged irons for about 2 months with about 13 rounds and over 600 range balls hit and my set doesn't look nearly as used as this. I mean not even close haha.

Here is my 8 and PW which get used a lot.

IMG_5731.JPGIMG_5730.JPGIMG_5732.JPG

• Like 5

Maybe the forged irons have a more durable coating or maybe russtopherb just got unlucky....