hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Wilson C300 Irons

My Stage 2 has now been posted!

Please fire away with any questions you have on my followup, I'll be happy to answer with as much detail as I can.

Enjoy the (long) read!

sorry to see the durability issues that you described.  Other than the paintfill starting to come out,  they are holding up very well for me.   It is interesting seeing different peoples take on basically the same clubs;  I love the sole and thing they help me when I hit the ball fat.  

sorry to see the durability issues that you described. Other than the paintfill starting to come out, they are holding up very well for me. It is interesting seeing different peoples take on basically the same clubs; I love the sole and thing they help me when I hit the ball fat.

I wonder if it's a swing speed issue with the soles. I want to say you're around 5-7 mph faster than I am, maybe my slower swing just isn't allowing the sole to really cut through?

For me, the dispersion is just as much of an issue to be honest. So much so that I am considering swapping out the grips to see if that helps me feel the heads more. I don't want to add weight, being a slower swinger.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice job guys. These reviews are hard to do and all of you have done a great job being very descriptive which really helps the reader.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Stage Two - The Review 7/16/2018

Wilson/Staff C300 Irons (cast) – Official MGS Forum Review by russtopherb

Conclusion

The Wilson/Staff C300s irons bring some exciting and proven technology in a well priced, sharp looking package. If you're looking for consistent height and ballflight, along with solid looks and sound, the C300 cast irons should absolutely be on your “must try” list. Based on my own experiences with this line of clubs, I feel they are best suited for improving players with handicaps in the mid teens to single digits. If the state of your game requires you to have a set of irons that are “point and shoot”, you may want to try these before you buy them. 

If you prefer your irons to look as brand new for as long as possible, you might want to consider iron covers and whether or not you want to spend the time wiping down the clubs with a wet towel after every single shot. The chrome finish and paintfill look beautiful in the bag and in hand, but they will both wear quickly. 

The C300s are a great all-around package for a large segment of golfers who like clean looks along with a great feel & sound to go with consistent distance. If you're in the market for Game Improvement irons, don't discount the shield when you're out looking for your next iron purchase - demo the C300s, and you'll be glad that you did!

Final Score: (69/100)

I love a good down home honest review.   Well done Russ!

Great job.. you all seem to be enjoying the testing as well as the clubs.. thanks

Great stage 2! Very well stated and clearly a lot of thought went into it. I apprectiate the time and effort to write a though review.

Good review. Great detail and obviously very well thought out. It really is disappointing how quickly they showed wear though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice job guys. These reviews are hard to do and all of you have done a great job being very descriptive which really helps the reader.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I love a good down home honest review.   Well done Russ!

Many thanks everyone. I wanted to do these irons and MGS justice with my final review. As I noted, these irons may not be the right fit for me, but that doesn't mean they're not a great fit for YOU. That's why I reviewed and scored them the way that I did. 

• Like 2

Awesome stage two's guys, so it's 50/50 on the play or trade so far. I also take from this that Wilson make a great iron but need to look at the finish for a longer lasting good impression.

• Like 2

I wonder if it's a swing speed issue with the soles. I want to say you're around 5-7 mph faster than I am, maybe my slower swing just isn't allowing the sole to really cut through?

For me, the dispersion is just as much of an issue to be honest. So much so that I am considering swapping out the grips to see if that helps me feel the heads more. I don't want to add weight, being a slower swinger.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Doubt it is swing speed, I would guess angle if attack or shaft lean at impact with the ground.

Improving Dispersion was my number 1 Objective with these clubs and I feel like I did that. I am glad I had the club champion fitting earlier and was able to get shaft that was best for me. The heavier tour shafts really seem to work for me.

• Like 2

Every time I see this I keep thinking it is the JPX reviews. Let's try to fix that.

IMG_3476.JPG

• Like 1

Every time I see this I keep thinking it is the JPX reviews. Let's try to fix that.

attachicon.gifIMG_3476.JPG

Fix what? It is clearly a picture of the C300 forged irons.
  • Like 1

Fix what? It is clearly a picture of the C300 forged irons.

Sorry, see what you are doing after reading the cobra thread . I don't look at the thread picture so I don't know what is currently displayed.

• Like 1

great stage 2's so far...  interesting how there is such a disparity in the cast vs forged versions.

really liked how well you both compared them to your gamers...well done gentleman!

I hit both at a demo day and after doing so the cast weren't a consideration but I would look hard at the forged.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_3476.JPG

...are you using the mobile app?  which one is causing this behavior?

• Like 1

...are you using the mobile app? which one is causing this behavior?

Yes the app.

great stage 2's so far... interesting how there is such a disparity in the cast vs forged versions.

really liked how well you both compared them to your gamers...well done gentleman!

I hit both at a demo day and after doing so the cast weren't a consideration but I would look hard at the forged.

Thanks.

I hit both at a demo day as well and each had their strong points. The non forged were just plain long. I found that each had a different sound. I ultimately chose he forged because I thought it would best fit my goals. For me I think the shaft provided me with what I needed which was heavier weight to help manage tempo. It would be interesting to reshaft my current irons with the KBS tours.

• Like 2

Stage Two - The Review – July 2018

Bottom line if you want forgiving irons with great feel, classic looks, and high ball flight these may be the irons for you. 

Final Score: 91 out of 100 - Definitely an A-rating for me. 

Great job cnosil!     Lot's of work put into this review and these irons are definitely a sharp looking set. 

• Like 1

Stage 2 Wilson C300 Irons.

In spite of the cosmetics, I will continue playing with them since they are a bit longer and have a higher trajectory than my G20's AND I really do like playing with them!. Additionally, my scores are better by about 5 strokes since I started playing with them. While I can't definitively attribute the better scores sole to the C300s, they haven't hindered my game either. At some point I'll replace the grips with my preferred GP MCC and as mentioned previously will try to buff out the scuff marks on the sole.

With a Total Score of 84 out of 100 next time you're in the market for new clubs at your local fitter, you should consider the C300 and not totally discount them in favor of the other brands.

Attaboy Tony and Thanks for putting in the hard work and bringing us a quality review!

A couple of missing features I consider ‘nice to have': I did order the clubs with Golf Pride grips. In the photo you can see the comparison between grips. On the bottom is the Golf Pride MCC on my G20, in the middle is the Wilson branded Golf Pride grip and on top is the Golf Pride grip that came with my Ping G400 #3 Crossover. Hmmm what's missing? How about an alignment aid to help us higher handicappers.  The other ‘nice to have'; the Pings not only have a tool mark on top of the club but also on the face. FYI, as part of my pre-shot routine, I check the alignment and double check to make sure I pulled the right club out of the bag, so I consider both to be important and yes, I have hit the wrong club.

attachicon.gifIMG_5307.JPG

Nice review.  You lost me on this paragraph.  What kind of alignment aid are you looking for?  I use the little tick marks on the top and bottom of the grip for alignment.   And what is a tool mark?