5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Stage Two - The Review {7/31/2018}

Wilson C300 Forged – Official MGS Forum Review by gaussman1

Intro

My apologies for the delay in getting Stage 2 up. I was waiting to get a re-shaft done of my gamers and then ran into snags using my club's launch monitor. I finally got a friend to help me out with his SkyTrak simulator, but then it was Open Championship week and I wanted to wait that out. Now it's a bit more quiet so let's get to it. My basis for the stage 2 review was pretty simple, I just decided to stick them in the bag for 60 days and see what happened. Like most golfers I've got enough ego enough to think that I can play with pretty much anything. Since my handicap has stubbornly refused to budge in 25+ years maybe it's true that my level of mediocrity can be duplicated regardless of equipment. My Handicap Index on May 1st, 2018 was 0.6.  My Handicap Index on July 15th, 2018? 0.6.  My current Trend handicap = 0.6. This is after 24 actual and tournament Rounds played with C300 Forged. My golf game is the movie Groundhog Day

Looks (5 out of 10 points)

From over the ball the C300 Forged looks the part. I want a club that has some safety built in but also gives me the appearance that I can hit shots. It's relatively compact but not so much so that it's intimidating. The toe section is rounded off nicely and appears relatively short from the top. The faceplate strike area is brushed or subdued as it appears in the pic here but you can see how the chrome on the sides is highly polished. It is almost a mirror surface, which looks really cool but does have big time glare issues with the shorter irons in full sun.

At address.jpg

• The graphics in the back are quite striking, but this club loses minor points for using decals instead of engraving and major points for paint issues. I have never seen paint peel like this on an iron set before and it seems as if this is a near universal issue for the MGS testers. Wilson claimed to have not heard of this issue before which means either we got the one bad batch or they aren't selling enough units to have feedback. More on my talks with Wilson Golf later but here are the photos.

c300 paint issue.jpgC300 paint club 2.jpgmore paint issues.jpgsole paint flaking.jpg

• The overall look comes together nicely over the ball and presents a very confident look. Turning the club over though it all falls apart for me personally. The power holes still look gimmicky and the paint is literally falling apart on the back badging and some of the toe sections. As I mentioned in Stage 1 the numbers on the clubs are quite large for no real apparent reason. It just doesn't add anything and does look a little cartoonish. Players in the forged category almost universally want the club to look serious and understated and these are anything but. Flashy and loud may sell pants to guys my age but they don't move forged iron sets.

Scene- Pitch meeting Part Deux

Suit- “Ummm. These are busy. This is a club we're marketing to serious golfers, right?”

Marketing rep- “Sir, all of this stuff shows our customers how good it is! How else would they know if they couldn't see it?

Suit- Well, they would know by hitting better shots right?

Marketing Rep- C'mon sir. It's all about the optics these days. You have to tell a visual story. Plus using that cheap paint factory overseas has saved us enough money we can put paint everywhere! We can even paint these huge numbers on the sole!”

Suit- (gets on Indeed, updates resume)

• Sound & Feel (7 out of 10 points)

Striking the ball these clubs deliver a good forged feel. They have a smooth, solid thump, like an ax hitting a tree. The feel (or pitch) does get a little thinner as you move out of the short irons into the power hole clubs, but is still solid across the face. Are they top of the scale? For me, no. The best feeling clubs I ever owned were Srixon i302s. They were really soft and really solid at the same time. I don't know if it was because they were 6x struck forged or 1025 carbon but striking the ball felt like artwork. I've never had another Srixon iron feel as soft. If those were a 10 in feel these are a 7. They are fine. Even though they are forged I would say they feel closer to an AP2 than a Mizzy or Srixon forging.

Range Performance (14 out of 20 points)

My favorite range drill is one I stole from Cameron McCormick (JS' coach) called the heart matrix, where you try to hit 3 fades then 3 draws all on different trajectories to the same target. If you were able to do it with pro tracer from down the line they would make a lovely little heart shape. To be fair, I can't perform this drill very well. My swing is a bit inside out and a bit shut so I am always fighting off a hook and I'm partial to irons with a slightly longer toe to get the CG moved out away from the hosel. I couldn't find CG charts for C300 Forged but my left miss is much more in play with these than my gamers. With my gamers I can at least make a straight line for the fade then fill in the draw line nicely. With C300 I create a hook matrix. 3 draws from the right edge then 3 more from the left. I can hit a dead push if I try real hard but really struggle to fade these. If I'm just beating balls the default is high draw. If I wanted help turning the ball over I would probably be delighted.

Looking at the SkyTrak Simulator data we don't really see a hook story, which won't really surprise anyone who has done indoor club testing and gotten very different results on course. After warming up we hit 6 balls each and threw out the worst one so this is admittedly a very small sample but we went back after the official test and hit more shots without getting any outlier data so I'm fine with this representation. Looking at the data I argue that C300 Forged holds its own with some heavyweight competition, though player 1 ball speed was down significantly from the others with 7 iron. I blame player 1 for that.  He's terrible.

Player 1.pngplayer 2.png

On-Course Performance (30 out of 40 points)

Overall, the performance was draw and more draw, so not great for me but good enough that I see the value for a different player. For future models I think you're stuck with Power Holes as a feature as this seems to be the main visual difference between these and FG Tour V6 (this and a hundred bucks). If they're going to stay at $899 I would really like to see an expansion of the stock shaft offering to include Nippon Modus and KBS C Taper, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense for a stronger player to be fighting off a high launch head with a low launch shaft. I would suggest C300 be less expensive and reserve the stouter shafts for FG Tour. But I digress.

After missing greens left the first few weeks I finally just started aiming further right than I would like for the last month and playing the draw and my scoring has been normal, as evidenced by my handicap above. I am however playing my way around these clubs rather than firing at targets and have been looking forward to getting my gamers back in the bag.

I've been basically just aiming right edge and hoping to get it on the green somewhere. During testing I took my gamers back out on a few occasions and there is a drastic difference for me between the two. My gamers I can hold straight and drive through the wind and on course the C300s are all just fighting the draw. I'm guessing KBS Tour vs Nippon Modus plays a factor in this result, but Nippon was not an option for testing. My home course has a couple of approach shots with hazards left and the latter half of testing I have resorted to just opening the face, squeezing with the left hand and trying to miss wide right. That is effective enough to get around but it's not great golf.

Play it or Trade it? (12 out of 20 points)

C300 Forged is out of the bag already, but that's not really the reason for the low score. I know we're not really thinking about $$'s in this section but these do occupy a nice price point in the market. I think they would be much more attractive for $100-200 less. $899 is not high for a forged club, but it sounds high until you start looking at all off the forged sets over $1000. At $799 you could garner a few more eyeballs. At $699 they would occupy a real niche and show separation from FG Tour. I'm sure Wilson thinks that price point would devalue the brand but let's be realistic for a moment- some of the larger retailers only carry Wilson's cheap stuff anyway. How many C300 Forged are they selling at $899?

They are nice looking irons over the ball, and I like the feel but really have to allow for quite a bit of draw. If you asked me to play a money game tomorrow my Srixon Z765s are going to be in the bag (in fact, they are there right now). The C300 Forged are quite easy to hit up in the air but I do struggle to drive them through the wind or get shots to hold their lines. The wind blows where I play so I'm a little relieved to be going back to my gamers.

A player who is looking for a little higher launch and maybe a touch of help turning the ball over but still wants that forged look and feel would be an ideal fit for C300 Forged. The question for me becomes whether Wilson Golf is a worthy place for your money. We're pushing $1000 after tax and pretty good isn't good enough for that kind of cost. You need to wow me. One way you can do that is with great customer service. Unfortunately….

Conclusion

I was concerned enough about the paint issue that I called Wilson Golf. Or I tried to, but there is no golf customer service number. Wilson Sporting Goods has a general customer service phone number only. So I called Wilson Sporting Goods. I'm not giving employee names from this call as this part isn't great and I don't want to get anyone in trouble. A very nice lady answered the phone and explained that for a warranty issue the process is to go back to the website, scroll down through 3 pages and then click 4 icons and complete 2 puzzles to receive a skeleton key. Proceed through the labyrinth and past the gorge of eternal peril where the skeleton key will unlock a secret door. Behind that door is a warranty form. Kidding aside, this next part is 100% accurate- Fill out the form and submit 3 pictures under 5MB in size and you will get a response from the warranty team within 1-2 business days. Upon approval they will email you a return form. Ship the clubs back with the original proof of purchase and then after receipt of the clubs and inspection and approval by the Warranty Team you will be emailed a voucher to go back online and build another new set. This process takes however long it takes. Several weeks? At least. Months? In all honesty, yes I could see being without clubs for a couple months while you go through all this. How cheap does $899 seem now?

I asked if there was actually anyone in the golf division I could speak to. She said yes if I wanted to hold. About 10 minutes later a gentleman who we will call Wilson Golf picked up the phone. Yes, he is on the golf team. He actually deals with the specialty retail accounts, not customers. No one deals with customers other than general sporting goods customer service. I was intrigued, because I could not find any retailers in my area initially to demo clubs for spec purposes. I asked how many specialty retailers they have stateside.

WG-“Oh, thousands”

Me- “For golf? Because I looked at Golf Galaxy and Dicks and green grass and couldn't find them anywhere. GG and Dick's don't even carry them online

WG- “Well for golf specifically it's a smaller number. If a retailer sells footballs or soccer balls that counts as a specialty account”

Me- “OK, how many golf?”

WG- “I'm not sure. I do find one called Club Champion in your state.”

Me- “Yes they are a custom fitter. So there's one. If I had purchased at the only account in my state and had this paint issue could I just take them back?”

WG- “Yes. Then they send them to us and after the warranty team reviews the clubs we issue a voucher so the new clubs can be ordered online.”

Me- “You won't just send a replacement set to your account?”

WG- “No. We need them back first, then after inspection and approval you have to order online.”

Me- “Ummmm. That doesn't sound great for the player. I had a crack in the hosel of my 3 wood from a major OEM and the replacement arrived within 3 days of my pro calling his inside rep. I got the new club before we shipped back the old one. You guys really need to receive and inspect the club before you issue a replacement to your account holders?”

WG- “Sorry, man there's only 3 of us on the golf team here. Stuff takes time to go through the process.

Me- ????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   3 PEOPLE ON THE GOLF TEAM !!?? Smacking myself in the head.

“Are these made stateside?”

WG- “No they're made overseas. I'm not sure where. I'll check into the paint issue though. I haven't heard about that before.”    

Me- “That's odd. 3 of the 4 testers here have reported the same issue. That's a high percentage from a very small sample.”

WG- Crickets

Me- “Moving on, these seem like they're for basically the same player as the FG Tour V6. Why would a player buy this instead of the FG?”

WG- “Well they're $100 cheaper.”

Me- “Can't argue with that. Thanks for your help.”

WG- (Hangs up. Considers life choices. Updates resume)

So as is probably obvious by now I have mixed feelings about C300 Forged. The clubs look good over the ball and perform fine. A little too much high hook for me but that's the price of having KBS Tours instead of C Tapers as a stock option in my opinion. They're not the top of the line in this category but they're also not priced to be. I do still believe them to be priced too high to have much sell through, even without my concerns about the health of Wilson as a golf company. And that is where I really struggle to recommend. There are lots of tier 2 companies out there in the golf world. Some of them make soft goods (Snell, Vice), some of them make putters and wedges (Edel, Bettinardi among others) and a few turn out hard goods (Fourteen and Tour Edge come to mind). But they are all GOLF COMPANIES who make it their mission to be the best they can be at what they do. I think the motto of each of these smaller outfits is probably “We Try Harder”. 

Wilson is not a golf company. They are a large sporting goods catch all. They don't seem to have any more emphasis on golf than on tennis or baseball. They have obvious QC issues at overseas production facilities and virtually no resources internally for golf. They don't try harder. Their top end models are not carried in store or even online at Dick's or GG (but old cheap, closeout models are) so that means they are hard to find, hard to try, hard to buy and definitely hard to return.  If I'm spending $1000 on new clubs I'm buying them from someone who specializes in golf instead of Pickleball. I would be more comfortable with 2 year old end of life cycle new clubs from Ping, TM or Callaway because I know what I'm going to get on the service side.

My instinct is that Wilson Golf is going down a path that can't really continue. I just don't see how they can sell effectively to avid players by using the big box sporting goods model. Can you imagine trying to compete against Callaway or Titleist as a sporting goods company? It would make more sense to me for Wilson to compete against the big box retailers of the world by opening their own sporting goods stores and selling their own SKUs there. It's probably more likely that Wilson Golf ends up as a Special Make-Up Brand that's only carried in places like Dick's or PGA Tour Superstore. Either way, I am struggling to recommend Wilson Golf as a golf company worthy of your money, which means I am struggling to recommend C300 Forged.

These clubs are fine. They're pretty good actually. But Wilson Golf as a company I think has serious deficiencies and I can't recommend you invest your money here as opposed to with a major OEM. My conclusion would be an earlier line - hard to find, hard to try, hard to buy and hard to return.  

Final Score: (68/100)

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Stage 2 Wilson C300 Irons.

Hello everyone and welcome to my stage 2 for the Wilson Irons.  But first here is a quick recap from Stage 1, Day 1:

So the first big day has arrived, my C300 irons came in and they look GREAT especially next to the G20s which are a bit utilitarian looking but have served me well. I ended up ordering 4-GW with -1 lie, std length and loft, KBS 90 steel shafts. The shafts have (supposedly) slightly higher flight and less spin than the CFS shafts on the Pings. The GW is 48* which takes me closer to my ideal wedge gapping of 4*. So, PW=44*, GW=48*, the RTX 3.0 at 52*, 56* and 60*.  Drop those in my bag next to the driver, 19* hybrid and faithful Ping Scottsdale putter and I'm ready to go. Additionally – I am comparing these the C300s to my Ping G20s, since that's my best frame of reference.

As background I am a high handicapper and even though I'm relatively new to golf, I'm improving every day and gaining more and more confidence with my clubs/distances. Initially I took a step back as I learned to hit the C300s, but now I'm back on track (shooting a 90 today) and expect to be in the high 80's by the end of this fall. I'll play anywhere from 100 – 125 times in a typical season and play in men's league, club championships as well as fun golf events with my wife.

As a result, the C300s have gone through an extensive workout with at least 10 range sessions and 25+ rounds with the full set. The range sessions and corresponding testing were with the 7i and 9i as they are my typical warm-up clubs. Additionally, the direct comparison between the C300s and the G20s were at the same outdoor range session (hitting Pinnacle range balls), therefore allowing no difference in weather; temp, humidity, wind, pressure, etc. For the data, I used an ES-14 LM which is an older and shop-worn unit.  I believe that this was the reason for the inconsistencies in the carry data and is not indicative of my results on the course. On the LM data, I knocked out the outliers – both high and low to come up with median numbers. Typically, I log distances that average 5-7 yds longer than the data from the LM shows. Lastly, anticipating your question, I did have the lofts checked at Golf Galaxy and they were identical between the brands. 

Look. Feel, Touch of the Wilsons vs Pings: Score 8 out of 20

The C300s out of the box were great looking – they were bright and shiny. However, it didn't take long for them to look scuffed up as you can see in the comparison photo below. I have always been fastidious about my clubs; therefore, I protected them to and from the course in covers to avoid nicks. With that said, after an extensive workout these past two months, they looked as if someone took a steel wool pad to the sole. Will they buff out? Not sure but I will try this winter with a buffing wheel.  Surprisingly the “Power Holes” didn't cake up with mud as some members have questioned even with the wet course conditions we experienced this year. Disappointedly the face shows ball marks on a par with my G20s which have had several hundred rounds on them. Additionally, the back which again is protected most of the time with covers has scratches as well.  For those that brought up the question after stage 1, the urethane filler in the ‘Power Holes' stayed intact as did the paint for the tool mark and logo.

pic1.jpg

Both photos show a comparison of the C300s vs. G20s. The scuffing on the sole is evident as well as the ball marks in the photo on the right (C300 on top-G20 on the bottom).

A close up of the ball marks on the face  - again C300 on top and G20 on the bottom (after several hundred rounds)

IMG_5270 (1).jpg

2 scratches.jpg

A couple of missing features I consider ‘nice to have': I did order the clubs with Golf Pride grips. In the photo you can see the comparison between grips. On the bottom is the Golf Pride MCC on my G20, in the middle is the Wilson branded Golf Pride grip and on top is the Golf Pride grip that came with my Ping G400 #3 Crossover. Hmmm what's missing? How about an alignment aid to help us higher handicappers.  The other ‘nice to have'; the Pings not only have a tool mark on top of the club but also on the face. FYI, as part of my pre-shot routine, I check the alignment and double check to make sure I pulled the right club out of the bag, so I consider both to be important and yes, I have hit the wrong club.

IMG_5307.JPG

Sound and Feel: Score 8 out of 10

Initially, the C300s felt and sounded clunky – after 2 rounds I thought this would be a tough test - as I'm just not liking the sound or feel. Then something clicked; not only was I hitting them well on the course, but I'm getting extra yardage except for the 4i. For some inexplicable reason I'm just not hitting that club well, so it came out of the bag and another G30 hybrid took its place.  

On the range I intentionally (well ok maybe unintentionally) mis-hit them. It appears they are more forgiving off the heel than the toe. Overall these clubs sound and feel smooth and I like that as well!

Range Performance/Data: Score 18 out of 20

Recorded LM data points: 25 with each club and as previously mentioned the highs and low numbers were knocked out in the data to arrive at the median. On the numbers below; I never got the G20s to the same clubhead speed as the C300s – not sure if that's a result of the lighter shaft on the C300s. The weight of the heads is pretty even with the G20s at 258 and the C300's at 265, although the KBS 90 shaft is lighter by 25g.   What surprised me on the C300s was a higher backspin and slightly longer carry distance.  ES-14 error on the backspin? Pinnacle ‘Range Rocks'? The trajectory also appears to be higher with the C300's than with the G20's.  The higher trajectory is my preference since the courses I play have hilly fairways and elevated greens.  Keep in mind that this is my first experience with a LM, I was probably paying as much attention to the LM as I was hitting the ball. And for those of you into the details, I've included partial data from ‘Maltby Playability Table' (by the way thanks to Shankster for passing along the link to the data).

Note: Actual measured loft for both the G20 7i and C300 = 31*, both G20 9i and C300 9i = 39*

charts.jpg

Note: The loft on the Ping 6i is interesting in the MPF data since my G20 7i was measured at 31*

The ES 14 recorded all of the range sessions as straight, but I can attest to a wider dispersion with the Pings than the Wilsons. Could it be the result of working harder with the C300s to get them on target? Or just working harder at getting better? Probably a bit of both.

On course performance; Score 35 out of 40

From the 5i to the GP, not only do they feel and sound good, they're also getting me closer to the target. For example, we have a short par 3 -  I used my G20 PW (44*) which was slightly long so I choked down on it about an inch. Now I can comfortably reach the green with my C300 GP (48*). Additionally, now I rarely mis-hit irons and prefer the long irons to my hybrids, even off the tee. So it's time to update my yardage book with the new distances!  

perfect.jpg

Play Them or Trade Them: Score 15 out of 20

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised by the performance of the C300s and I have a more favorable impression of the brand. Prior to this test I would have dismissed the brand completely and limited my selection to those brands we typically consider first; Ping, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, etc. However, to get to the level of those brands Wilson needs to fix the scuffing, scratches and ball marks either through stronger metals or finishes. The overall look of the clubs after a couple of months of play is very disappointing and I would have been very upset if I paid the retail price.

In spite of the cosmetics, I will continue playing with them since they are a bit longer and have a higher trajectory than my G20's AND I really do like playing with them!. Additionally, my scores are better by about 5 strokes since I started playing with them. While I can't definitively attribute the better scores sole to the C300s, they haven't hindered my game either. At some point I'll replace the grips with my preferred GP MCC and as mentioned previously will try to buff out the scuff marks on the sole.

With a Total Score of 84 out of 100 next time you're in the market for new clubs at your local fitter, you should consider the C300 and not totally discount them in favor of the other brands.

I have to give a very special thanks again to the mods for selecting me. Before this I was working at getting better and even though I was fitted for my G20's, I never paid attention to club specifications and never used a LM. I know for most of you this is 'old hat' but for me it was a great learning experience. Thank you I learned a lot! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Hey everyone, I've got my Stage 1 posted for you to read. This is my first MGS review, so I'm excited to see what I can bring to the table, especially from the higher handicapper point of view.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything you'd like to know about prior to my Stage 2 review. I've got 3 range sessions in with them so far and headed out to the course this coming weekend, so fire away!

Great stage one!! How do the shafts in the C300 compare to your D200? Are they the same flex, heavier or lighter and are they the same length?

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Hey everyone, I've got my Stage 1 posted for you to read. This is my first MGS review, so I'm excited to see what I can bring to the table, especially from the higher handicapper point of view.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything you'd like to know about prior to my Stage 2 review. I've got 3 range sessions in with them so far and headed out to the course this coming weekend, so fire away!

Excellent start! I know it has been said before, but I really enjoy the stage 1's - I feel like a get to know people better. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

EDIT: somehow I missed that Tony had posted his Stage 1, too! Good read, Tony!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

We're fortunate that in addition to the driving range at our club we have two rarely used practice holes and the Club has a launch monitor I can use as well.  My plan is to do a side by side test with the irons on those practice holes.  However, ever since the irons arrived we've been plagued by torrential rains, in spite of the rain I was able to sneak out onto the course and try the GW on a short par 3. Hmmm pretty nice -  all of the balls I hit were just a few feet from the pin. Birdy time?

attachicon.gifIMG_5226 (1).JPG

I can't wait for the stage 2 testing to begin. Will I get explosive power?  Will I get straighter heel and toe shots?  The truth will be in the data so let the testing begin……….

Nice start Lefty, keep hitting the gap wedge like that and you will soon be reaching you goals!

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Great photos - nice read!

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Great stage one!! How do the shafts in the C300 compare to your D200? Are they the same flex, heavier or lighter and are they the same length?

Thanks for the kind words!

The KBS Tour 90s I have in the C300s are 101 grams, vs the Elements Chrome I have in the D200s which come in at 59 grams. Length is the same. I'll be honest - the weight difference has been the biggest adjustment so far, with less offset in the C300s coming in a close second. I've had to really think about my tempo with these clubs vs the D200s. Given the shaft weight differences, I "feel" the C300 clubhead differently, if that makes sense.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thanks for the kind words!

The KBS Tour 90s I have in the C300s are 101 grams, vs the Elements Chrome I have in the D200s which come in at 59 grams. Length is the same. I'll be honest - the weight difference has been the biggest adjustment so far, with less offset in the C300s coming in a close second. I've had to really think about my tempo with these clubs vs the D200s. Given the shaft weight differences, I "feel" the C300 clubhead differently, if that makes sense.

I totally understand, I rented some clubs a month back and it felt like the heads were twice the weight of my clubs even though the main difference was in the weight of the shaft!

Nice stage 1 guys. I on out of town on a business trip so I will be posting my stage 1 when I return. Looking forward to getting a chance to getting mine out to the course

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nice start guys! Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

tony@CIC - I was in the same boat as you last year with the gapping issues on the wedges.  My Srixon Z545's stopped at PW which was 44*.  I was carrying a 48*, 52*, 56*, and 60* vokey wedge to help with that.  Trouble is that left me open on the top towards the 3 hybrid range.  I ended up getting a wedge fitting and they suggested just ordering the GW of the Z565's and then carrying a 56* and 60*.  We matched the shaft and everything of the GW to my irons since you are most likely taking full shots with GW.  Glad to see this set is helping you out with that gapping!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Great job on the Pics and Stage 1 Russ.   Love the comparison, of the SGI D200 and the TM RAC on the other end.   I have had really good success with that Tour 90 shaft in the past, and your driver SS is higher than mine, so I anticipate you'll adjust to it very quickly and have some really good results.   Looking forward to the journey with you!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Guassman, telling it like it is in his Stage 1.  Take note everyone, this is all we ask for in your reviews, be honest on your thoughts.    I also laughed out loud at the Wedges thinking they're special comment...Hilarious!

Nice Job Tony, quite a statement about Golf being harder than anything you've done before, including piloting a plane.    I love that its' something you and your wife enjoy doing together!  

Don't worry as you have natural talent with this reviewing stuff and by the way, great pics! Looking forward to your stage 2.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great job on the Pics and Stage 1 Russ.   Love the comparison, of the SGI D200 and the TM RAC on the other end.   I have had really good success with that Tour 90 shaft in the past, and your driver SS is higher than mine, so I anticipate you'll adjust to it very quickly and have some really good results.   Looking forward to the journey with you!

By my third range session I was definitely more comfortable with them. My first session I was digging absolute trenches with them, my second was filled with weak fades, but my third was so much better once I started getting used to the shafts. They just load and feel different, that's all there is to it. 

I'll be headed to a Par 3 course this weekend with my son & dad, weather permitting. So it'll be a great workout for all of the irons. 

I'll also say that chipping with the PW is pretty solid & consistent. I really enjoyed using that one on the chipping green. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Love it Gaussman and I really like the look of the forged set of yours.

Love it Gaussman and I really like the look of the forged set of yours.

Thank you! They really are sharp looking clubs and I'm excited to report on my initial fitting and now launch monitor data on this current set in Stage 2

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I'm really sorry G20's but after playing these Wilson's for a week I'm going to have to bench you. Yes I know you've been there for for me through birdies and bogies but these Wilson's are coming on strong. There's a chance they may not make it through stage 2 testing and yes I know Power Holes are a marketing gimmick but the truth will will come with that launch monitor data. In the meantime enjoy your early retirement. 

IMG_5218 (1).JPG

Left Hand orientation