TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Wilson C300 Irons

Didn't know thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

No problem.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great, great starts by @cnosil, @gaussman1, @tony@CIC, @russtopherb....

Looking forward to your Stage 2 reviews and hearing whether or not these irons help you shoot lower scores.

Have fun and good luck!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

A good read indeed!! Nicely done it's hard doing your first review, feel like there is a lot of pressure. You started off great!! Cant wait to read the other 2 stages!

Thanks. Right now I'm having so much fun with these clubs it's keeping me distracted from the analytical stuff. However, that phase or stage 2 will have to start shortly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As you guys get further and further in with these irons, how is the urethane in the power holes holding up?  I know Taylormade was having issues with some of their irons.  Does grass and dirt get inside the irons from those holes?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

As you guys get further and further in with these irons, how is the urethane in the power holes holding up? I know Taylormade was having issues with some of their irons. Does grass and dirt get inside the irons from those holes?

Not yet, but it's only been a couple weeks. I'm playing or hitting balls every day for the next two weeks so if they're going to work loose we should find out

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

As you guys get further and further in with these irons, how is the urethane in the power holes holding up? I know Taylormade was having issues with some of their irons. Does grass and dirt get inside the irons from those holes?

I've used them almost every day since they were unboxed and no issues with the urethane in the power holes. No grass or dirt either, but then I wipe down the clubs after I use them so little chance of stuff getting accumulated in the power holes .

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Not yet, but it's only been a couple weeks. I'm playing or hitting balls every day for the next two weeks so if they're going to work loose we should find out

I've used them almost every day since they were unboxed and no issues with the urethane in the power holes. No grass or dirt either, but then I wipe down the clubs after I use them so little of any chance of getting stuff getting accumulated.

Same here. Many range sessions and out twice on the course, and no problems whatsoever. I know golfers with the C200s and have had zero issues with the inserts, for what it's worth.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I am behind on testing due to weather, LPGA volunteer duties, and business travel.  I will pay attention to how the power slots hold up during my testing. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm finally getting settled into a tempo with these irons, and the winter rust is finally being shaken off. The shots these clubs are capable of are fantastic. I'm seeing height and distance I wasn't even getting with SGI irons.

Hit these clubs thin? Pffft. Your ball flies lower but right on your target line and nearly the same distance. 

Hit them fat? Ok that's an issue, like with many other irons. Here's where the sole design doesn't give you much help as I've noted before, but that's specific to my own miss, and maybe some of yours. 

And that sound!  :wub:  I actually had someone at the range on my lunch break peer over into my bag while he was asking what irons I was hitting after hearing the impact a few times. 

How do they wear?  Are you noticing any scratches/scuffs/etc. that are abnormal/unexpected ?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

How do they wear? Are you noticing any scratches/scuffs/etc. that are abnormal/unexpected ?

I don't want to answer for anyone else but thus far for me any scratches/scuffs, bag chatter are all entirely normal. I do have paint fill peeling away on a couple of the numbers already which is obviously disappointing but nothing on the finish of the clubs themselves

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Was able to get some time in on the launch monitor at MGS Labs after I did some 3 wood testing for Most Wanted.  I didn't put the stickers on to measure the club data but I was able to get ball numbers.  Approach I took was similar to how most wanted works,  I hit 5 shots with each club (6 iron) and then switched to the other and I used the Bridgestone B330-RX balls used for most wanted testing.  I also checked the the length and swingweight; both came in at D2 and surprisingly the lengths were the same, even though I expected the C300s to be longer based on unmeasured specs.  Loft on the C300 is 2* more than the XHot Pros

So how did the testing go?  Well, I could make you wait until Stage 2, but since I got a twitter shout out from Adam,  I thought I would post my early thoughts.

I have attached some images from the GCQuad that show averages and the individual shots.  Overall,  I was swinging the club okay and had a few really bad shots that I did delete from the numbers.  Feel between the clubs was basically the same for me even though one is cast and one is forged.  While most people state that forged is "softer" my particular feel ranks them equal in feel.  

As we look at the head to head comparison, we see that the C300 forged had a higher average ball speed and a more consistent ball speed.  With the additional loft,  it makes sense that the launch and backspin were higher.  Higher launch and more ballspeed resulted in more distance; perhaps the power holes do provide some increased performance  Looking at the grouping circles,  we see a that the XHot Pros had a a narrower dispersion but more distance variation; which we can also see by looking at the standard deviation numbers.  

IMG_0337 (Small).JPG

If we dig into the details of the individual shots  we can see that there are a couple of shots that skew the distance numbers for the XHot Pros just as a couple of shots skew the left/right distribution for the C300.   Looking at rows that have similar ball speed numbers I think my current Callaway irons hold a slight advantage.  From a consistency perspective, the C300s seem to hold a slight advantage. 

IMG_0339 (Small).JPG

IMG_0340 (Small).JPG

Still early in our testing window but it seems to be shaping up to be a good battle between these two irons.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hey! I think I know that person!

Looks familiar to me too,  I feel like I see him every day.  

If we dig into the details of the individual shots  we can see that there are a couple of shots that skew the distance numbers for the XHot Pros just as a couple of shots skew the left/right distribution for the C300.   Looking at rows that have similar ball speed numbers I think my current Callaway irons hold a slight advantage.  From a consistency perspective, the C300s seem to hold a slight advantage. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0339 (Small).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0340 (Small).JPG

Still early in our testing window but it seems to be shaping up to be a good battle between these two irons.  

So you are getting slightly better numbers so far from clubs that are 2 degrees higher in loft? Do you think the face is hotter in the Wilsons or is the tech the major contributing factor?

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

So you are getting slightly better numbers so far from clubs that are 2 degrees higher in loft? Do you think the face is hotter in the Wilsons or is the tech the major contributing factor?

The tech (power holes) are designed to provide greater ball speeds and more consistent performance per the Wilson website. So that means the face on the Wilson clubs should be better than the Callaway.

When I personally look at rows that have comparable ball speed numbers the Callaways seem to hold a slight advantage in distance. But the Wilson's seem to allow me to be more consistent with ball speed thus more consistent distance numbers top to bottom.

Regarding the loft, I personally think people put to much thought into that aspect Of the club. I want the ball to go a specific distance.

Right now it is pretty much a toss up in my mind.

Thanks for the answer, so it seems like it will come down to feel and which club suits your eye the best.

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Thanks for the answer, so it seems like it will come down to feel and which club suits your eye the best.

No problem on the answer,  that is what this thread is all about.  Feel free to ask any question that pops into your mind. 

Some people think forged and cast feel different;  i really can't tell the difference.   I have also said in other threads that performance means more to me than looks.  That is the big reason my approach to this review is more about numbers and analysis.   My ultimate goal is to minimize dispersion and get a more consistent ball flight.  If I can reign in the left/right shots that I saw with the C300s they might be the winner.  The variations in my ball speed  with my current irons was something I also saw at my Club Champion fitting,  Honestly,  that one fact could be the deciding factor, but no matter what it will be a fun test drive.  

I think we are all looking for consistency 😁. Keep up the great work, I am really enjoying this thread.

How do they wear? Are you noticing any scratches/scuffs/etc. that are abnormal/unexpected ?

Here's my 7i after 18 holes and around 7-8 range sessions. I clean with warm water after every outing and wipe down while on the course.

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

Seem pretty scratched up based on those pictures.   Your miss on the toe?  

Seem pretty scratched up based on those pictures. Your miss on the toe?

Yes and yes.

Already have some paint fill chips too.

Oh wow, they don't seem to be holding up very well 😢

Oh wow, they don't seem to be holding up very well

That is what I was thinking and they are the cast ones that should theoretically be a little more durable.  

That is what I was thinking and they are the cast ones that should theoretically be a little more durable.

Indeed. I don't know if the cavity design leads to easier paint scuffing, but I'm a bit disappointed. I'll go through the others more tomorrow and post a side by side with a lesser used iron.

Dang. Those are a lot of scratches for such little use. Yikes. I wonder why their metal shows wear like that so quickly???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Was able to get some time in on the launch monitor at MGS Labs after I did some 3 wood testing for Most Wanted. I didn't put the stickers on to measure the club data but I was able to get ball numbers. Approach I took was similar to how most wanted works, I hit 5 shots with each club (6 iron) and then switched to the other and I used the Bridgestone B330-RX balls used for most wanted testing. I also checked the the length and swingweight; both came in at D2 and surprisingly the lengths were the same, even though I expected the C300s to be longer based on unmeasured specs. Loft on the C300 is 2* more than the XHot Pros

So how did the testing go? Well, I could make you wait until Stage 2, but since I got a twitter shout out from Adam, I thought I would post my early thoughts.

I have attached some images from the GCQuad that show averages and the individual shots. Overall, I was swinging the club okay and had a few really bad shots that I did delete from the numbers. Feel between the clubs was basically the same for me even though one is cast and one is forged. While most people state that forged is "softer" my particular feel ranks them equal in feel.

As we look at the head to head comparison, we see that the C300 forged had a higher average ball speed and a more consistent ball speed. With the additional loft, it makes sense that the launch and backspin were higher. Higher launch and more ballspeed resulted in more distance; perhaps the power holes do provide some increased performance Looking at the grouping circles, we see a that the XHot Pros had a a narrower dispersion but more distance variation; which we can also see by looking at the standard deviation numbers.

attachicon.gifIMG_0337 (Small).JPG

If we dig into the details of the individual shots we can see that there are a couple of shots that skew the distance numbers for the XHot Pros just as a couple of shots skew the left/right distribution for the C300. Looking at rows that have similar ball speed numbers I think my current Callaway irons hold a slight advantage. From a consistency perspective, the C300s seem to hold a slight advantage.

attachicon.gifIMG_0339 (Small).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0340 (Small).JPG

In looking at the distances, you have a variance of 150-184 yards with the Callaways, but the Wilsons don't have that large of a gap. Man, I don't want 35 yards difference out of my irons! Wilsons look better to me by far! Give me consistency on/off-center every time!!!

In looking at the distances, you have a variance of 150-184 yards with the Callaways, but the Wilsons don't have that large of a gap. Man, I don't want 35 yards difference out of my irons! Wilsons look better to me by far! Give me consistency on/off-center every time!!!

Yep and I agree with you on the variations.  The next thing I need to figure out is where on the face am I hitting the ball.  Hoping to get some impact tape or foot powder to check that out.  If I am hitting the Wilson's more on the center then it probably leans toward the shaft/lie angle being the reason.  If they are both similar in impact, then it leans more toward the clubhead.  

Here's my 7i up against my 4i, which is the least hit (so far) iron in my bag to compare wear and finish. 4i is on the top.

IMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

Yep and I agree with you on the variations. The next thing I need to figure out is where on the face am I hitting the ball. Hoping to get some impact tape or foot powder to check that out. If I am hitting the Wilson's more on the center then it probably leans toward the shaft/lie angle being the reason. If they are both similar in impact, then it leans more toward the clubhead.

Those wouldn't be the first Cally clubs with “hot spots”....