TESTERS WANTED! ×

Im sure that many of you who have went to see your club pro, or went for a lesson have been told the you "need new grips". Its very convenient that the pros are at hand to do it for you. Recently I was amazed when a friend told me he was being charged £20 to get his driver regripped, and that was standard!!! 

I thought this was steep to change a grip. I went onto eBay, had a hunt and bought 20 Golf Pride Multi Compound Grips for £3 each, plus got to choose what colours I wanted. Then I bought myself some double sided tape and gave changing my grips a go. 

The toughest thing has to be taking the old grip off, but that was easy enough. I think it took me the guts of 10 minutes to change the grip and left it to dry for a couple of hours. I don't get why anyone would pay £20!!! Here is how I did it, don't know if anyone has any better suggestion:

1. Remove Grip with a Stanley knife SAFELY!!!

2. Wrap the double sided tape around the shaft.

3. Put a tee in the end of the grip and put a small amount of petrol in the grip, rinse around for a second and pour out the excess. (This softens the grip up so that it can be applied easily.) 

4. Slide the grip onto the shaft. 

5. Twist the grip until it is in line.

6. Leave to dry for several hours.

I think everyone should give this a shot. Saves a lot of money if you are redoing all your irons. 

On another note, I love the Golf pride multi compound grips but does anyone think there are better grips out there. Always like to test out new things.   

Cobra F6+ Driver

V-Steel 4 Wood

Titliest 916H Rescue Wood

Ben Sayers 2 Iron

Mizuno MP5 Irons

Cleveland Zip Core Wedges, 58, 54, 50degree

Original Odssey 2 Ball Putter 

Only costs me the cost of the grip. My local shop does the ReGrip for free.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G is my current favorite. I can play without a glove and they're super tacky.

I played green victory from age 7-21, Victory Cords and Tour Velvet cords (whichever I had lying around) from 21-25 and now the tour wraps for the past 12 years.

Good on you to take the time to do it yourself. Nice sense of pride.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

A 3 pound grip?!?!?!? What does that do to your swing weight?

Same thing Jimmy Hoffa's 500 pound shoes did to his backstroke...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Same thing Jimmy Hoffa's 500 pound shoes did to his backstroke...

Don't you know that's a myth? He's really buried under the Meadowlands.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Yup. Under the hump.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I have to re-grip my own clubs because I am to anal. I want that slightly open look. I just hate when my friends want me to do it for them. I don't have any tools I just use a razor, tape, lighter fluid and the grip. Try and save as much of the mineral fluid as I can. I like trying new grips on my wedges and putters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Air is super easy. Off and on in five minutes, no mess. Solvent works better for a stronger hold I think. Plus, I found it harder to do extra wraps with air. Both have their benefits.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

My course doesn't charge anything to grip your clubs if you purchase the grips from them - otherwise it's $1.50 US per grip. 

I've done a lot of my own grips - used Pure grips for a couple years and like the ease of install, but I'm going back to Golf Pride (probably Tour Velvet 360 on all clubs so I don't have to mess with installing logo down or anything). Getting the old tape off is definitely the most difficult part, but it gets easier with practice (and new tools) just like anything else.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

A 3 pound grip?!?!?!? What does that do to your swing weight?

That doesn't make cents to me!

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

On a serious note, it's cheaper for me to buy grips from Rockbottom and get them shipped to Aus than to buy them locally. Even with shipping cost of around $A60 it's still about $A70 cheaper than buying them locally. I tend to buy when Rockbottom have %20 off, which makes it a no brainer.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I am absolute trash with tools and being handy, yet changing grips is one of the few things I can do quickly and easily. Plus I enjoy it. Everyone should give it a try if you can, you may be surprised with just how easy it can be. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I went the “air grip” method a couple years ago. I must say, after the initial investment, the actual installation is easy. Now, I am going to be challenged with, how do I regrip clubs with Arccoss sensors? Been gaming Arccoss for a bit now and really like the analytics. However the grips are not that availabile .....yet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I went the “air grip” method a couple years ago. I must say, after the initial investment, the actual installation is easy. Now, I am going to be challenged with, how do I regrip clubs with Arccoss sensors? Been gaming Arccoss for a bit now and really like the analytics. However the grips are not that availabile .....yet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

If you use the "air grip" method ... do you use the same method to remove them as well?  To save the grip?  Everyone that I know that does it the air method says it's simpler but I guess I'm old school ... still do it the conventional way.  You use an air compressor I assume? 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

On a serious note, it's cheaper for me to buy grips from Rockbottom and get them shipped to Aus than to buy them locally. Even with shipping cost of around $A60 it's still about $A70 cheaper than buying them locally. I tend to buy when Rockbottom have %20 off, which makes it a no brainer.

That is terrible.  There should really be an "unlike" button for things like this.

If you use the "air grip" method ... do you use the same method to remove them as well?  To save the grip?  Everyone that I know that does it the air method says it's simpler but I guess I'm old school ... still do it the conventional way.  You use an air compressor I assume? 

There have been a few threads on here that I have seen where people give more details about their method for this.  I absolutely hate getting old grip tape off.  I showed my neighbor the air method the first time I did it.  He ran and grabbed his son's clubs.  The grips were pretty old, so we blew them off in less time than it took me to clamp them in the vice.  It was the most fun regripping we have ever had.  I have turned one to a balloon on one I did.  There must have been some sticky tape residue inside the grip left from pulling it off with solvent and some sweat.  It caught on something while we were blowing it on, grip sealed up around the shaft, and I just about exploded it in my face.  I would gladly sacrifice a grip here and there for the hours it save, though!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Am I the only one whose big take away from this is that if OP bought NDMC's off ebay for 3lbs a grip I'm 98% certain they are fake?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I believe he was talking about British pounds (cost). Not grip weight

I'm aware. 3lbs is about $4 US. If you are buying NDMC's off eBay for 4 bucks a grip they are 100% fake

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I use the air method. In my case it is very economical because I mess around with a lot of classic clubs. Most of those I find the grips are shot and I want to try the club. So I take the old grips off and air install the new ones on. If the club does not work out I will take the grip back off. Shoot I bet I have some Tacki Macs and GP Tour Wraps that have been on and off 20 times or more. I never use more than 35 PSI period. With that pressure there is little chance of blowing one up or stretching them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I believe he was talking about British pounds (cost). Not grip weight

Just how much is a British pound compared to a US Dollar??? I do know it varies from time to time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

We have members that air grip and some others that use tape lt solvents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Its a thing ive never tried myself. Is it easy enough to do. Ive just found my way of doing it and can do it quickly so I havent looked at other ways. Would like to know the best method as using petrol can be a tad messy. Easily cleaned up though. 

Cobra F6+ Driver

V-Steel 4 Wood

Titliest 916H Rescue Wood

Ben Sayers 2 Iron

Mizuno MP5 Irons

Cleveland Zip Core Wedges, 58, 54, 50degree

Original Odssey 2 Ball Putter 

Archived