Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putt-out or not putt-out in scramble format?

I play in 2 or 3 scrambles a year. They are always for good causes. Whether it's Cancer Research, local high School scholarships, Veteran's causes and the like..The 2 inch gimme for par, before the rest of the squad putts for birdie, is not an infraction that would cause any concern. That being said, the Rules of Golf must be adhered to as much as possible. The scrambles I play in, have well over 100 guys playing. What may be a "hit and giggle" to 1 team may not to another. So, play by the rules and no one gets offended or worse yet, upset. I for one am from the school, that winning, not cheating, is fun, losing not so much. Not saying I am an in your face, out for blood, winning at all cost, kind of guy. I'm not, I just like to win and don't like to lose. To say all players, play scrambles just to have fun, get drunk, and inflate an 11 under score to 15 under is just plain wrong. It's like saying all ice fishing is just a drunken day on the ice. There are many serious ice fisherman as there are serious golfers. Play by the rules, don't cheat and issues will be few.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

As a Minnesotan, I would much prefer someone get upset rather than offended...😉😉

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I avoid mist scrambles but when I play in them we try to make sure no one putts out to avoid anyone questioning scores.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't remember this being specifically mentioned in the tournament rules.  I recall that our team usually marks.  If you are that close, then it shouldn't take more than one or two attempts to tap it in if all the first putts miss.  I am not sure that I see the tap in as being that much of a time saver in the overall scheme of things.  I like the par max rule.  I have seen some scramble scores that I could beat playing only one ball, and I'm not that great a golfer.  Taking snowmen must be at least 27 strokes on one hole.  That slows things down.

What if the tap in misses?  Where do you mark? For the sake of not angering someone watching, I'd vote mark it.

I would also like to see the average scramble score for groups with different handicaps.  As noted by several others already in this thread, there are usually some very suspicious scores.  How low can four 15-20 handicaps really go?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Scrambles are loose and thus, should allow some flexibility. Think about it, ball-in-hand through the green, ability to switch balls (sure, this is the old man in me speaking but prior to 2002, we'd use pinnacle golds off the tee and tour balatas for an approach prior to the four & five piece balls).

In my line of work, we refer to AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) for the final say on making rules. As I mentioned in the other thread, many of our scramble events (mostly charity) in the region have adopted a 2-putt maximum rule. It keeps pace up and the local club sets the rule.

Keep it simple and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

As a Minnesotan, I would much prefer someone get upset rather than offended...

I stand corrected......I would rather upset someone than to offend them. Neither would be preferable, but sometimes things happen.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Agreed. Neither would be preferable, but holy buckets I just couldn't stand it if I had offended someone. 😂

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Scrambles are loose and thus, should allow some flexibility. Think about it, ball-in-hand through the green, ability to switch balls (sure, this is the old man in me speaking but prior to 2002, we'd use pinnacle golds off the tee and tour balatas for an approach prior to the four & five piece balls).

In my line of work, we refer to AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) for the final say on making rules. As I mentioned in the other thread, many of our scramble events (mostly charity) in the region have adopted a 2-putt maximum rule. It keeps pace up and the local club sets the rule.

Keep it simple and have fun!

I've played in some with 2 putt max, and that works really good. Reach a par 5 in 2 It's gaurenteed birdie, and you take 4 putts at the eagle. I like those ones because it keeps the speed of play up especially on the greens

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've played in some with 2 putt max, and that works really good. Reach a par 5 in 2 It's gaurenteed birdie, and you take 4 putts at the eagle. I like those ones because it keeps the speed of play up especially on the greens

YUP! Keep it simple 🤙🏼

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Archived