TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you figure your handicap?

dvdmrtndl

Just wanna see what courses people figure their handicap? Is it from your local favorite course? Or from a challenging course you play a couple times a year. I'll be honest here, I don't like to pay a ton to play. While I have challenging courses around me, they're shorter courses where I can hit short irons into greens and hit most par 5's in 2... (on a good day) I can shoot low 80's, even high 70's on a good day at my local courses, my best being a 76. But then I go to longer, tougher courses and shoot mid 80's. So which courses do you figure your handicap?

All of them. I think the USGA use a average of 96% of your ten best scores out of your last 20 rounds.

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

You join a club, by USGA definition so don't let that scare you - there's usually a 30 or so annual fee, and enter all of your scores. After 5 you will receive an official handicap index although it's best to have 20 scores posted.

You then take the index and compare it to the course's official USGA handicap chart (select the tees you are playing) and that's your handicap there. If you are in a group playing from multiple tees additional adjustments may need to be made but that's a different topic.

To say I have a 10 handicap (or whatever) anymore isn't really accurate. You have a handicap index and that gets you a handicap based on the course and tees that you are playing from.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I use GHIN and enter the course, tees played from and score. The program accumulates the scores and computes the hcp.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Just wanna see what courses people figure their handicap? Is it from your local favorite course? Or from a challenging course you play a couple times a year. I'll be honest here, I don't like to pay a ton to play. While I have challenging courses around me, they're shorter courses where I can hit short irons into greens and hit most par 5's in 2... (on a good day) I can shoot low 80's, even high 70's on a good day at my local courses, my best being a 76. But then I go to longer, tougher courses and shoot mid 80's. So which courses do you figure your handicap?

Sorry... kinda long. But you asked.

I used to be ever diligent about posting all my rounds. Home and away. I even started a thread about posting your handicap. During that time period I was fighting with myself to keep lowering my hcp. and chasing a goal. It worked against me and my game. I think keeping an accurate honest Hcp is important. Especially if you play tournaments. Truth is most people don't. And that include me nowadays. My hcp in GHIN is 5.6 and that's reasonable at my home course and other courses in my area as they all play about the same and I know them well. Flat-ish - hard and fast.

My handicap would be much higher if I were to include the courses/rounds I play out of my area/region. The reason is because my game doesn't travel all that well. When I play in Alabama, North Carolina, or the Texas hill country or example my scores are higher. I'll shoot in the low to mid 80's occasionally dipping into the upper 70's. Back at home I'm in my comfort zone on known courses and my scoreing drops.

I've quit worrying about a strict handicap and let the chips fall where they be. I play better and my scores are lower and more consistent. I might play 2 tournaments this year. Our club championship and the city championship. I'll compete in the Senior Division. My handicap entering both tournaments will be reasonably accurate honest based on my play at home and on the the two courses where the competitions will be held. Same for other players. I'll probably enter both events with about a 4-5 hcp. I'm sure my handicap can be argued but so be it. I don't enter these two tournaments to win cash, prizes, or a trophy. In these events we all know each other well from competing through the years and nobody really cares what anyone's hcp. is. The majority of us are playing to see our friends again and share old stories. If you qualify as a Sr. then bring it. It's an Open field and not flighted. In both tournaments the only qualifier is that you must be 60 by the day the tournament starts.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Bear in mind that you do not need to keep your handicap at a green-grass club. It's been ages since that was the case. Contact your state golf association to find a Club Without Real Estate or Training Facility that offers handicapping services.

If you keep your score honestly and turn in all your scores, you will see that your index is fairly accurate. I just played in my dad's member-guest, and my 6.9 index made me an 8 from the set of tees we played. I shot 83, 82, 83, which are pretty average scores for an 8 (based on the formula, you'll only play to your handicap about 25% of the time, most of the time you'll be 2-3 shots above it).

I play about half my golf on an executive course with a course rating of 62.1 and a slope of 109, where I average about +4, which is a handicap differential of 8.0. So playing easy golf courses really doesn't deflate your handicap all that much IF they are rated properly. That being said, if your usual course is easy, I would recommend playing tougher courses once in a while so it's not completely foreign to you.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

As others have said, it's easiest to get it online through your local golf association. You can also post scores online, which is convenient.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I have the GHIN app and pay yearly for the service through the Louisiana Golf Association, via my local public course. I enter scores into the app, and it updates, even has the opportunity to show a “card” if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have the GHIN app and pay yearly for the service through the Louisiana Golf Association, via my local public course. I enter scores into the app, and it updates, even has the opportunity to show a “card” if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Our GHIN app also has a search feature which shows different slope ratings for course in US and Canada as well as the index for your partners. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It's all data driven. Slope and CR relative to tees and difficulty may seem odd from one course to another but it's legit. This was always a “fun” conversation among members when tournaments would have players from three separate tees (men's, ladies and men's forward tees).

By fun, I mean where's the nearest pit of lava for me to swim?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I use an app called mscorecard and it keeps track of my handicap and things like gir fir putts and chips, it's keeps it up to date and it's close enough to what I play to be reasonable

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Take your score. Subtract the rating. Multiply by 113. Divide by the slope. Take the 10 best of your last 20. Average it. Multiply by 0.96. That's your handicap!

As others have said, it's easiest to get it online through your local golf association. You can also post scores online, which is convenient.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I get GHIN thru the local golf course Enter computer @ golf course or online Florida Assoc., $18.00 per year.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

It's all data driven. Slope and CR relative to tees and difficulty may seem odd from one course to another but it's legit. This was always a “fun” conversation among members when tournaments would have players from three separate tees (men's, ladies and men's forward tees).

By fun, I mean where's the nearest pit of lava for me to swim?

Amen.

My dad has become a bit of an expert on this because his senior men's group has guys that play from three different sets of tees. When he starts to talk about this, it makes me want to drink bleach.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Amen.

My dad has become a bit of an expert on this because his senior men's group has guys that play from three different sets of tees. When he starts to talk about this, it makes me want to drink bleach.

Bleach with a twist of lime

Oh man was it painful. The member leading the charge had over a years worth of dialogue with the USGA; Andy Dufresne would have blushed. Only difference being, Andy got his library.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Bleach with a twist of lime

Oh man was it painful. The member leading the charge had over a years worth of dialogue with the USGA; Andy Dufresne would have blushed. Only difference being, Andy got his library.

Did he have a Rita Hayworth poster on the wall?

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Did he have a Rita Hayworth poster on the wall?

For his sake I hope he did. We couldn't figure how he found any joy in his shallow retired life.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

The grint is IMO the best free app for handicap tracking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will second that. They have added shot tracking as well.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'm going to be a bit of a stick in the mud here

None of us has a handicap - we have a differential which is then matched to the course and set of tees that we are playing to arrive at our handicap - so finding your handicap is not as simple as a mathematical formulae that the USGA uses. That nets your differential.

In theory that differential should work so that your game works everywhere and you are normally shooting scores about two to three strokes above your handicap on the course that you are playing.

But we are humans not machines so a lot of brain matter goes into our handicaps. If we play a lot of golf on an easier course we may trouble on a more difficult one even though we shouldn't - our score should go up be the course rating difference. If we play a difficult course we may get accustomed to shooting higher scores and have trouble shooting the lower scores we should on an easier course. We may play on flat Florida courses with lots and water and sand and find ourselves at a loss on a mountain course with blind shots and balls that fly and run out twenty yards longer.

Figuring handicap is easy - playing golf is not.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We use our “index” per the mathematical formula and then it is adjusted based off the slope of the course you are playing

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few ways.

A) golf Canada has an app which gives official handicap for tournaments and such.

B ) handicap tracker app (paid) which I log all including practice rounds and rounds I play alone.

C) Arccos, which I recieved later in the season so it doesn't have all my rounds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I use Arccos to calculate my handicap.  One great feature is it rates different parts of your game with its own handicap.  Overall I am playing to a 7, my driving is a 9, approach a 10, chipping a 12, and putting a 1.5.  This additional information really shows you what to work on to get better.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Archived