Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does Shaft Weight Matter More Than Shaft Flex?

Matt Saternus - who used to be with MGS (so hope I'm not offending anyone here) - has a site called PluggedInGolf on which he does an occasional series titled, "Golf Myths Unplugged".

In this one he takes seven different golfers to test the effects of shaft weight and flex, in driver shafts of three different weights and three different flexes.

The conclusion .. which will not be surprising to most readers in this forum .. is that there are no hard-and-fast rules, each golfer's swing is unique and each golfer would benefit from a quality fitting.

Still an interesting and informative read, and he presents a table of the test data, at...

https://pluggedingolf.com/does-shaft-weight-matter-more-than-shaft-flex-golf-myths-unplugged/

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for the link cksurfdude. I've been more curious about shaft weight lately after getting my Hogan Hi long irons with lightweight Recoil graphite shafts.

When I bought them I just assumed and swap the graphite shaft out for my trusty KBS C Taper Lites. My thinking was, “Graphite shafts in irons? I'm not ready to go there yet.” But, I took them to the range and while still a stiff flex, the 20 gram or so weight difference made them feel much easier to generate clubhead speed.

I've been reading more on shafts lately and believe lightweight graphite shafts might be in my Hogan's at some point soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

This is a very cool study done. I had a fitter who was one of the best in North America and for shaft weight he always used to say you take your ball speed divide it by 2 and minus 10 and that is your ideal shaft weight. A very simplistic approach but really worked for a lot of his clients. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Matt Saternus - who used to be with MGS (so hope I'm not offending anyone here) - has a site called PluggedInGolf on which he does an occasional series titled, "Golf Myths Unplugged".

In this one he takes seven different golfers to test the effects of shaft weight and flex, in driver shafts of three different weights and three different flexes.

The conclusion .. which will not be surprising to most readers in this forum .. is that there are no hard-and-fast rules, each golfer's swing is unique and each golfer would benefit from a quality fitting.

Still an interesting and informative read, and he presents a table of the test data, at...

https://pluggedingolf.com/does-shaft-weight-matter-more-than-shaft-flex-golf-myths-unplugged/

Very interesting, and seems to be the hot topic these days. Mark Crossfield on YouTube has been on a bit of a "disproving" shaft marketing rant as well. 

Here's where I take issue with some of the verbiage in here as well as Mark's videos on this. 

We all have bad habits in our swings. Shaft Flex/Torque/Weight should help us feel our swing so we can better understand and react to those bad habits. Whatever that feel is to someone (super stiff, or light, or lagging) is what's unique.

For me, my driver was in a 57G stock stiff shaft, and I was all over the map and for me, I couldn't feel when I was coming over the top with it. I just got fit for a new driver and landed on a 76G stiff shaft because I felt like I could control it better and feel when I was falling back into my over-the-top bad habit. Now ultimately that fix for me may be the opposite for someone else. But for me, the heavier shaft kept me from my bad habit, and I'm confident that if I went back to an ultralight shaft I'd be back to really hacking down on it.

So when the article states "You can't get more consistent or more accurate simply by getting a heavier, stiffer shaft.", I kind of disagree simply because a heavier shaft helps me feel my swing and stay out of my bad habits.

Very interesting, and seems to be the hot topic these days. Mark Crossfield on YouTube has been on a bit of a "disproving" shaft marketing rant as well.

Here's where I take issue with some of the verbiage in here as well as Mark's videos on this.

We all have bad habits in our swings. Shaft Flex/Torque/Weight should help us feel our swing so we can better understand and react to those bad habits. Whatever that feel is to someone (super stiff, or light, or lagging) is what's unique.

For me, my driver was in a 57G stock stiff shaft, and I was all over the map and for me, I couldn't feel when I was coming over the top with it. I just got fit for a new driver and landed on a 76G stiff shaft because I felt like I could control it better and feel when I was falling back into my over-the-top bad habit. Now ultimately that fix for me may be the opposite for someone else. But for me, the heavier shaft kept me from my bad habit, and I'm confident that if I went back to an ultralight shaft I'd be back to really hacking down on it.

So when the article states "You can't get more consistent or more accurate simply by getting a heavier, stiffer shaft.", I kind of disagree simply because a heavier shaft helps me feel my swing and stay out of my bad habits.

Valid point, but I think he was saying something along the lines of.. "..for this group of testers it was not the case that dispersion decreased / accuracy increased for all testers with a heavier or stiffer shaft"

I had a driver shaft fitting recently and was very surprised to end up with a 75g shaft with very low torque ...... despite that I don't like the feel of it!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Neither is more important and you cannot evaluate either component in a vacuum. Shafts have different profiles that can make them feel stiffer/lighter/heavier than they actually are.

That is why a fitting is so important.

Does it matter more?

Well it depends how you get fitted. If you get fit properly from scratch, then picking the shaft weight is probably the first thing you should look at.

When you think about it, shaft weight is critical in your swing because you are the one who has to move that mass and feel it's transition. Only you can decide what feels comfortable and what helps to keep the club on the correct path. I'm not talking about swing weight either (although this does some effect) - I'm talking about static weight, ie mass that has to be moved by your physical energy against good old gravity. Basic physics.

Once you have a club you can swing comfortably (ignoring actually hitting a ball at this time) then you can start to build a club around the players physical measurements. 

Length will be the next critical element in fitting (for finding the centre of the club face) and then bend profile and last of all, flex. 

So yes, it does matter. But ultimately any shaft is an inert object - it only becomes a club when you swing it and is only the sum of all it's parameters when fitting - and all it's parameters matter and are interrelated in fitting. But if you need a starting reference - weight would be it in my opinion.

Matt left here for a great opportunity. He was very well liked and respected. I cant imagine that mentioning his name would ever be offensive.

We've had some great MGS contributors during my time here. We have some great ones now too - they come, they go. Robin Arthur used to pop in a lot. I've even had the chance to chat with him on the phone on several occasions because of MGS.

I know his health has been spotty but he is one interesting dude.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Does it matter more?

Well it depends how you get fitted. If you get fit properly from scratch, then picking the shaft weight is probably the first thing you should look at.

When you think about it, shaft weight is critical in your swing because you are the one who has to move that mass and feel it's transition. Only you can decide what feels comfortable and what helps to keep the club on the correct path. I'm not talking about swing weight either (although this does some effect) - I'm talking about static weight, ie mass that has to be moved by your physical energy against good old gravity. Basic physics.

Once you have a club you can swing comfortably (ignoring actually hitting a ball at this time) then you can start to build a club around the players physical measurements.

Length will be the next critical element in fitting (for finding the centre of the club face) and then bend profile and last of all, flex.

So yes, it does matter. But ultimately any shaft is an inert object - it only becomes a club when you swing it and is only the sum of all it's parameters when fitting - and all it's parameters matter and are interrelated in fitting. But if you need a starting reference - weight would be it in my opinion.

Here's one of our results sent fitters - thanks for weighing in. (Pun intended)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Matt left here for a great opportunity. He was very well liked and respected. I cant imagine that mentioning his name would ever be offensive.

We've had some great MGS contributors during my time here. We have some great ones now too - they come, they go. Robin Arthur used to pop in a lot. I've even had the chance to chat with him on the phone on several occasions because of MGS.

Thanks for mentioning Robin Arthur- I had been wondering what was going on there. His shafts have been really good in my limited experience (Mom LOVES hers) and I hope he can get healthy and continue his work.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

After some homework of my own and some talks I've been doing weight over flex and haven't looked back. I do think flex has an effect on feel but since there isn't a set standard in the market I'm going with weight.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Tempo (and rhythm) is a huge part of what makes a consistently effective golf swing.

A shaft which is too light or too heavy for the player will absolutely harm his/her ability to find good effective swing tempo (and rhythm).

100% agree.

If you look at golfers with a really quick tempo, then a heavier shaft will help to control the rhythm. If at you look at guys like Nick Price for example (younger readers may want to look that up lol) it's no surprise his iron shafts were something around the 135g+ mark and his driver shaft was at least 80g+ (when he played graphite).

Slower swingers with a smoother more deliberate transition and maybe weaker wrists would certainly benefit from a lighter shaft - not just to help with clubhead speed, but again to maintain the correct tempo, which is a key part of returning the clubhead back to a decent strike. 

Try it for yourself and see the results.

Ah ha ... good to know .. thanks for that bit of history!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

100% agree.

If you look at golfers with a really quick tempo, then a heavier shaft will help to control the rhythm. If at you look at guys like Nick Price for example (younger readers may want to look that up lol) it's no surprise his iron shafts were something around the 135g+ mark and his driver shaft was at least 80g+ (when he played graphite).

Slower swingers with a smoother more deliberate transition and maybe weaker wrists would certainly benefit from a lighter shaft - not just to help with clubhead speed, but again to maintain the correct tempo, which is a key part of returning the clubhead back to a decent strike.

Try it for yourself and see the results.

Thx for that - actually am doing that experiment! No conclusive results yet, still working on it during range sessions, but trying to figure out if a heavier or a lighter driver shaft gives me better results.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Archived