Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Kind of fitting yourself for irons

I am curious about this and maybe you guys can help. If you recently had an iron fitting and were fit to let's say Mizuno irons but change your mind a week later and decide you want Titleist irons. Would you go through the entire fitting process again or just match the specs from your prior fitting and order the Titleist irons?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Boy is this right up my alley  :D

In short, I have most often gone the second option.  Used the results from a very recent fitting and ordered the new irons to those specs.  There have been times where a second fitting was part of the process of new irons, so in those cases I took info from both.  

Good question and I'm curious to see the answers.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Boy is this right up my alley :D

In short, I have most often gone the second option. Used the results from a very recent fitting and ordered the new irons to those specs. There have been times where a second fitting was part of the process of new irons, so in those cases I took info from both.

Good question and I'm curious to see the answers.

With all the clubs you buy you'd be getting fittings prior to each round. Seriously though thanks for your input.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

With all the clubs you buy you'd be getting fittings prior to each round. Seriously though thanks for your input.

yep, that's pretty much the case LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I think that is what a lot of us do. Depends on what you consider specs. Are you talking just length and lie angle or are you also considering shaft, loft, offset and swingweight?

I think you will be generally ok. it might not be an ideal setup or it could be a better setup if you went through. A Mizuno specific fitting. I am kind of testing this theory with the C300 forum testing I took my fitting results from club champion and applied them to what I spec'd out for the test clubs.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think that is what a lot of us do. Depends on what you consider specs. Are you talking just length and lie angle or are you also considering shaft, loft, offset and swingweight?

I think you will be generally ok. it might not be an ideal setup or it could be a better setup if you went through. A Mizuno specific fitting. I am kind of testing this theory with the C300 forum testing I took my fitting results from club champion and applied them to what I spec'd out for the test clubs.

I am talking about shaft, shaft length, lie and swing weight mostly.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

You probably won't notice that much of a difference. My one concern is that an entirely different club would require an entirely different shaft to get the proper fit. Of course, different clubs have different standard lofts and lies. Or maybe one is an 1/8 of an inch longer than the other. Those things have a smaller impact, but shouldn't be ruled out completely. Where did you get fit? If I got fit at Club Champion (or somewhere like that) and they put me into the Mizzys, I don't think I would go buy the Titleists. They are really good at what they do. Plus, their service isn't free!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

You probably won't notice that much of a difference. My one concern is that an entirely different club would require an entirely different shaft to get the proper fit. Of course, different clubs have different standard lofts and lies. Or maybe one is an 1/8 of an inch longer than the other. Those things have a smaller impact, but shouldn't be ruled out completely. Where did you get fit? If I got fit at Club Champion (or somewhere like that) and they put me into the Mizzys, I don't think I would go buy the Titleists. They are really good at what they do. Plus, their service isn't free!

I am just curious more than anything. So although I have been fit for clubs in the past I wonder if those specs would carry over to a new set in the future.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I am just curious more than anything. So although I have been fit for clubs in the past I wonder if those specs would carry over to a new set in the future.

That depends on whether or not your swing has changed at all since you were last fit. That would completely throw off your specs. If your swing hasn't really changed, the specs should be pretty comparable.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I don't know about this one.  You'd have to check the specs on the heads closely.  If they are relatively close I'd think you'd be okay to reuse but I always understood that the combination of head and shaft was a unique pair and you can't just replace a head with the same shaft and expect the same results.....but I'm not a club fitter.  :lol:

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I don't understand. Why would you change your mind after a fitting?

I was providing an example. I haven't changed my mind about anything. I certainly could have been more clear however. Let me rephrase the question.

If you were fit a year ago for irons and they were stolen would you be comfortable buying a new set of irons from a different brand using those same specs assuming no swing changes?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Depends on how I did the first fitting. If I went in with no iron choice in mind and the Mizunos were the best fit I'm not sure I would be changing my mind. If the fitting was specifically for the Mizunos and I wasn't 100% sold on them as my choice then I would find a titleist Thursday and test/get fit for the titleist. I can somewhat fit myself to a combinthat works and feels good so I could go with picking a set of titleist and a shaft combo and be done with it.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I was providing an example. I haven't changed my mind about anything. I certainly could have been more clear however. Let me rephrase the question.

If you were fit a year ago for irons and they were stolen would you be comfortable buying a new set of irons from a different brand using those same specs assuming no swing changes?

If I loved those irons then I'd be just reorder. If I had gotten lessons since my previous fitting and tweaked my swing I'd get a new fitting

Depends on how I did the first fitting. If I went in with no iron choice in mind and the Mizunos were the best fit I'm not sure I would be changing my mind. If the fitting was specifically for the Mizunos and I wasn't 100% sold on them as my choice then I would find a titleist Thursday and test/get fit for the titleist. I can somewhat fit myself to a combinthat works and feels good so I could go with picking a set of titleist and a shaft combo and be done with it.

I have to ask and maybe it's even thread worthy. Has anyone actually had a fitting where the fitter said, “I think the x brand, x model with this shaft is the only iron for you?”

I certainly haven't and I've been through tons of fittings. I had one where the guy wanted to put me in Mizuno JPXs and I said, “out of my budget. He had no trouble switching to Wilson C100's and there was no difference in my numbers.”

The type of iron matters but I don't buy that the type doesn't exist in multiple OEM lines.

I would say you're safe ciphering out what you need from Titleist based on a recent Mizuno fitting. You won't be off by much. I'd certainly do it. I effectively fit myself for my current Ping Irons off of prior Iron fittings and the recommendation of a Titleist ball fitter - he didn't say go buy Titleist, he said, “You will benefit from this iron type.”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll say different for just this one reason.

When you look at a different club, put that in your hands, the new look and feel will offer an immediate love or hate reaction.

Check out grips of the top mfg's and place them side by side. Then tell me each one of them offers the same confidence standing above a shot.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have to ask and maybe it's even thread worthy. Has anyone actually had a fitting where the fitter said, “I think the x brand, x model with this shaft is the only iron for you?”

I certainly haven't and I've been through tons of fittings. I had one where the guy wanted to put me in Mizuno JPXs and I said, “out of my budget. He had no trouble switching to Wilson C100's and there was no difference in my numbers.”

The type of iron matters but I don't buy that the type doesn't exist in multiple OEM lines.

I would say you're safe ciphering out what you need from Titleist based on a recent Mizuno fitting. You won't be off by much. I'd certainly do it. I effectively fit myself for my current Ping Irons off of prior Iron fittings and the recommendation of a Titleist ball fitter - he didn't say go buy Titleist, he said, “You will benefit from this iron type.”

I haven't because when I get fit I go in for a specific set and unless we can't find a shaft that works with the head for me then I walk out euthbwgat I went in for.

I do know some that have done fittings locally that had one set or one driver blow all the others away. Some have bought and like you some have gone what's the next best option based on budget

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I haven't because when I get fit I go in for a specific set and unless we can't find a shaft that works with the head for me then I walk out euthbwgat I went in for.

I do know some that have done fittings locally that had one set or one driver blow all the others away. Some have bought and like you some have gone what's the next best option based on budget

Understood but also understand that I got the same or better numbers from the Wilson Nd as the Mizunos.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Understood but also understand that I got the same or better numbers from the Wilson Nd as the Mizunos.

Totally understand. I think for the most part the large majority of golfers are going to have several options across the various brands to choose from with minimal difference in numbers/performance

Archived