TESTERS WANTED! ×

putting: left hand low (RH putter)

Alright spies...I've been having some difficulty on the greens and I experimented with the left hand low grip yesterday afternoon and I found it really helped me start and keep the ball on my desired line....so I'm going to try it for my league round tonight.

So those that use the LHL/crosshand technique -

what do you do with your right hand? 

I found myself holding the club with my pinky, middle and ring finger, kind of pointing my forefinger down and covering my right thumb with my left hand.

what about your left hand?

I found that I had most pressure on the big knuckle of my forefinger.

equal grip pressure with both right and left or more 80% in left and 20% in right?

Note: I use a standard size grip....not a jumbo/p2/superstroking/fat cat grip. :lol:

I'm pretty close to this...

instruction-1.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I've switched last year to left-hand low. My grip is barely left-hand low, though. If you put your hands in front of you, and nestle the knuckle of your left hand just under that of the right, that's my basic hand position. I wrap my left hand around the club first, then my right. My right index finger does end up on the grip, between the index and middle fingers of my left hand.

As for feel: my putting this way is dominated by feels on my left side. I almost want to feel as though I'm putting from my left shoulder down to the putter head, almost as though I were putting only with my left hand. The right hand just adds stability. If I think of the right hand at all, it's that I want maintain the cupping (extension) of the right wrist. My left wrist needs to remain straight, and my stroke comes (ideally) from rocking my shoulders (but with a tendency, at times, to get lazy and arms-y).

That's a description of what I do. As for whether it works? :)

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I think you are overthinking this. Just put your hands comfortably on the club and it doesn't matter if your hands are separate, overlapping, or all twisted together. Same for grip pressure.

I am left hand low and just grab the club using the above advice. I am also left side dominant when I power my stroke.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think you are overthinking this. Just put your hands comfortably on the club and it doesn't matter if your hands are separate, overlapping, or all twisted together. Same for grip pressure.

We're on a golf forum. Of course we're overthinking this. :)

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I tried lead hand low; doesn't work for me.  I tried it for several weeks, and it never felt comfortable to me.  I do know several people that use it and putt very well.  My only comment is with that grip, your trail hand wrist has quite a bit of angle (good thing), as shown in your photo.  You have to maintain that angle throughout the stroke.  Critical.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with cnosil. I can't tell you how hard to grip the putter. I use left hand low and I double overlap my index and middle finger on my right hand (on top of my ring and pinky fingers on left hand). You have to go with what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Being a lefty I use the opposite variation: right hand low and I have just three fingers of my left hand very lightly positioned on the putter. It's more to have somewhere to place my left hand (left hand doesn't do anything) all of the work is done with my right hand. I found this technique takes some of the arc (I have a strong arc) out of the putting stroke.

Also my right hand has a light grip - no different than I might use on my driver.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

thanks for the tips fellas....good stuff all around.

I tried it last night during our league round and made a couple long ones and burnt the edge on a couple others.

I like this style but I need to get better at it; I had the most success when there was a bit of separation between my right and left hand.... the head of my putter is kind of heavy (360g) so I need both hands to stabilize it so it doesn't flop around like a fish.

Certainly agree that whatever you do it should feel natural...almost like you're not even thinking about it.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I messed around with left hand low for a while and I found myself liking having my left almost on the underside of the grip but that is certainly very unorthodox.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Try interlocking your left pinky with your right index but try placing one above the other and then alternating to find which feels better, which offers less pressure.

Have fun and experiment!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I just started experimenting with this as well.  As a lefty, it's right hand on bottom.  I have found my success in gripping the club with my entire left hand and using my right hand as a guide on the front end.  I use only my thumb, pointer, and middle finger of my right hand to prevent the club for twisting around on me.  It's almost like a reverse claw grip.

Glad to hear you're having success with the switch.  Hope it continues for you.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

still working with this...used it the last few rounds and have gotten in some good practice with it and I'm really liking the way it works.

one thing I noticed that can sometimes go awry is that it can be easy to let the toe of the putter come up off the ground and that can lead to some inconsistent strikes.... I resolved this by making sure my left thumb is pointed down towards the ground instead of out at a 45 degree angle.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The "left-hand-down" really works for me since I switched to it a few months ago. For me it really helps with dispersion which is more centered on my target and less off to the left. Distance control is coming around too!

Keep at it Stroker!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I switched to left hand low about a year ago. I have the pinky, ring and middle finger of my right hand on the club, and the pointer finger overlapping my left hand between the pinky and the ring finger. Definitely closer to equal pressure than 80-20, but more on left. A small press forward just to trigger the stroke and lock the right wrist into place.

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

I am left hand low and just grab the club using the above advice. I am also left side dominant when I power my stroke.

Bingo! I just found what was comfortable to me and went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...

I putt with my lead hand low as well. I find if have both my index fingers pointing straight down it helps with comfort and confidence because it allows me to set up with the same grip. 

But that being said I had to stop taking practice swings when putting to stop my yips. 

In my      Ping  Hoofer: with clicgear 3.5  

Driver:    Callaway Rogue 9* set to 8* with draw, Project x Evenflow Blue xstiff 6.5 65g

3W:         Ping G-Series  set to 15*, Alta 65 graphite stiff-flex

5W:         Ping G-Series  set to 18*, Alta 65 graphite stiff-flex

4H:          Ping G-Series 22* 4-Hybrid, Alta 70 graphite stiff-flex

Irons:      Ping G-10, Green Dot, Ping AWT Stiff, 5-P

Wedge:   Cleveland RTX-3 wedge shaft, 50, 56, 60

Putter:     Ping Craz-E G2i  or  Nike Method S2-12

Ball:       B330RX, AVX,  Z-Star or whatever I find on the course

Shoes:  footjoy flexfit

I have been trying left-hand low for the last few weeks. I was missing all over the place before, and I really feel like I've been starting the ball online better. A big issue for me has been distance control, I just don't seem to have the touch for certain distances. I am hoping that improves with time. Great thread to read through, thanks for the help everybody!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I have been trying left-hand low for the last few weeks. I was missing all over the place before, and I really feel like I've been starting the ball online better. A big issue for me has been distance control, I just don't seem to have the touch for certain distances. I am hoping that improves with time. Great thread to read through, thanks for the help everybody!

Distance control is the hardest part to adapt too. Keep practicing an it should improve.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived