TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking to buy a new putter in the near future, please comment

PutterLove1992

On 11/19/2018 at 3:01 PM, NiftyNiblick said:

Calamity Jane replicas are still available.

How can you beat the Calamity Jane?

LOL I have several that style different brands different shafts. I like playing one in my vintage rounds when it has been wet and they have not been able to cut the greens or on a Goat Track type course with questionable greens. I have a Mac M2 from the 40s with gasp a brass insert that I love

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For top end type putters: to name a few

Betts,

Scotty

Piretti

Toulon

when getting one just get a fitting to ensure it stays a friend once purchased.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

15 hours ago, McGolf said:

For top end type putters: to name a few

Betts,

Scotty

Piretti

Toulon

when getting one just get a fitting to ensure it stays a friend once purchased.

What makes these top end type putters?   Cost?  Milled heads? Name?   I agree with the fitting approach, but  the question is can you meet your fitting needs with most of the manufacturers?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Save your money for lessons and purchase the new Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT. Terrific double milled putter that is under $130!

Image1542649497.455248.thumb.jpg.acf5520149be64dc606f9e88bf31851e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I second this advice. After testing out just about every putter in the universe the other day, regardless of the price, Cleveland’s line of putters are fantastic on merit alone. The price of them is extremely tempting to pass up on. If I truly wanted a replacement putter the Cleveland would be at the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

I second this advice. After testing out just about every putter in the universe the other day, regardless of the price, Cleveland’s line of putters are fantastic on merit alone. The price of them is extremely tempting to pass up on. If I truly wanted a replacement putter the Cleveland would be at the top of my list.

Yeah, they are really solid putters. I think they have kind of priced themselves as a bargain brand though. Being on a golf forum, we know that they make high quality equipment, but I think the everyday consumer might precieve Cleveland putters as cheap, and therefore inferior. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, cnosil said:

What makes these top end type putters?   Cost?  Milled heads? Name?   I agree with the fitting approach, but  the question is can you meet your fitting needs with most of the manufacturers?   

You could meet the needs of most golfers with most makers, To me for top end is more about quality, The Bettinardi folks have established certain quality standards as allowable,  Toulon does testing and gather acceptance from professionals as does Scotty. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

You could meet the needs of most golfers with most makers, To me for top end is more about quality, The Bettinardi folks have established certain quality standards as allowable,  Toulon does testing and gather acceptance from professionals as does Scotty. 

Depending on the approach you take for fitting, you would struggle to find some ideals for a player in any putter line.

Bettinardi, Cameron, Ping, evnroll, Odyssey, Wishon, KZG, boutique makers, etc. all make quality putters. With the use of CNC milling machines almost
all putters are made to tight tolerances. There are some subtleties that can make differences but almost all putters are high quality.

I am not a big supporter of what is good or acceptable for a pro is good for me. My stoke is mine and I need to find the putter that works for me. Many Pros are just as fickle about clubs as amateurs, most are paid to play a particular brand, and they spend considerable time practicing to ensure the putter works for them or it is a style they have used all their life.

Not saying my opinions are what everyone should believe, but generally when providing a brand opinion I like to see a reason why. Is there a technology reason or is there something the club promotes over others. Help us understand the details of why you think that is the best option.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Middler said:

Best putter I’ve ever owned in 54 years. But it’s a personal choice, so all I ever ask when others solicit suggestions is to include an Evnroll among putters under consideration. With 11 different head shapes, necks, lenghths, weights - there’s something for almost everyone.

IME the Evnrolls are as good as any with respect to look, feel, quality, alignment, etc. but what sets the Evnrolls apart is consistent distance. That’s been worth a few strokes here and there for me, you’re not going to get much more from one putter over another.

I did a fair amount of testing of the Evnroll on Friday night at the PGA Superstore and came away unimpressed honestly.  I also had a bias in my head, because everyone here has spoken glowingly about their putters.  But considering I spent several hours trying just about every putter out there the Evnroll didn't stand out to me in any regard.  Honestly, I thought the Cleveland putters were better overall, at least for me.  And when all things are equal if you are gonna have a choice between a $100 putter and a $350 putter and you can't tell the difference, I'm gonna pull the trigger on the cheaper option.

Now with all that said, I did my fair amount of testing with the Scotty's that were out and available to test with, and I can see why everyone loves them, as there is just something unique about the Scotty Cameron overall, at least as compared to everything else.

I guess it all comes down to feel for me, as I am a feel player, and after hitting so many putters, from the cheapest Tour Edge or Wilson, to a Scotty Cameron, if I would have had to pick one from the entire selection I would have bought a Cleveland putter.

I will also say that I spent a LOT of time trying out the new PING putters, and I loved the feel on those babies.  But I couldn't justify spending twice as much on a PING putter, when the Cleveland putters felt just as good or better for half the price.

I’m probably the odd man out anyway. I think Scotty’s are beautiful, but they don’t do anything for me in terms of feel, alignment or consistency. .

I don’t think you are odd man out. Scotty’s are beautiful putters. I have had some throughout the years and continually try them. Based in my fittings and what I have been taught about putter fitting and how to putt there isn’t a model that fits my stroke very well. Since I don’t improve my putting with them I don’t buy them.

3 hours ago, Middler said:

^^ If you didn’t like the Evnroll, I wouldn’t try to twist your arm. Whatever you like best in your price range is what you should have.

I’m probably the odd man out anyway. I think Scotty’s are beautiful, but they don’t do anything for me in terms of feel, alignment or consistency. I’d buy a PING at half the price and be happier with that. For whatever reason, the Evnroll stood out for me and I’ve been pleased with it on course. I’ve also test driven other Evnroll shapes vs other putters since buying my ER2, and preferred other Evnroll putters.

Could be all in my head, but it works for me.

No, I really don't like Scotty's either. They just don't feel like they have the right weighting for me. They all feel unstable. I really like the way PINGs are weighted and they always come out on top during fittings, so I play PING. 

Am I the only one that cant get over how a putt feels with a milled face compared to something with an insert or odyssey micro hinges? Anytime I am at a store or club house I always gravitate to the putters and mess around with a handful of them. No matter what brand I try, I just dont like the feeling of a milled putter striking a ball when putter. 🤷‍♂️

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

4 hours ago, patrickleeleep said:

Am I the only one that cant get over how a putt feels with a milled face compared to something with an insert or odyssey micro hinges? Anytime I am at a store or club house I always gravitate to the putters and mess around with a handful of them. No matter what brand I try, I just dont like the feeling of a milled putter striking a ball when putter. 🤷‍♂️

Everyone is different and we have our preferred sound/feel when the ball comes off a putter face.   I prefer more of a clicky sound and generally prefer milled faces;  though a milled face can be made to feel soft with deeper grooves and thicker topline.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Everyone is different and we have our preferred sound/feel when the ball comes off a putter face.   I prefer more of a clicky sound and generally prefer milled faces;  though a milled face can be made to feel soft with deeper grooves and thicker topline.  

I love that plush feeling when you strike a putt well. But the adverse part of that I think is mishitting a putt with a face that has inserts or whatever else, it will react differently trying to get it roll. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I love that plush feeling when you strike a putt well. But the adverse part of that I think is mishitting a putt with a face that has inserts or whatever else, it will react differently trying to get it roll. 

Depends on the insert. Ping TR face, Bobby Grace HSM and Edel pixel face are some examples of inserts that are all advertised to help with distance control on off center hits. Even with these insets I am pretty sure that the feel/sound can be enhanced by putter design.

Hello my fellow spys and friends, I plan on treating myself to a Scotty, Bettinardi or something that is a bit more expensive than I'd ever imagine spending I'm only 25 so I really shouldn't buy one with other priorities but I want to save up and purchase something nice... anyone with either kind of putter or something else please give me any feedback you can and some info on the brands. I know I use my putter probably more than any other club so it's my favorite...

Thanks my friends and hope to hear good things!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Have you hit any of these putters? Personally I use a Ping anser 2 and I love it. It’s the closest I can get to a replacement for my method that burnt in a fire. A putter is the Best Buy in my eyes however the more expensive doesn’t mean the better for your game. Find out what works for you. Hit a bunch until you find what you like, looks,style, length, grip, feel, and a lot more all go into a putter.

10 hours ago, Mizuno_fan said:

Have you hit any of these putters? Personally I use a Ping anser 2 and I love it. It’s the closest I can get to a replacement for my method that burnt in a fire. A putter is the Best Buy in my eyes however the more expensive doesn’t mean the better for your game. Find out what works for you. Hit a bunch until you find what you like, looks,style, length, grip, feel, and a lot more all go into a putter.

I tried loads, you name it I've tried it, including mallets but my eye suits a blade (its important you like the look of what you see at address and it sits square without gripping).

I eventually went to a Ping Anser 2 that has no inserts and when my stroke is working its a great putter that sounds sweet and very consistent. With most putters it's the Indian not the arrow, but get a good arrow and confidence improves.

As Mizuno fan states, expensive doesnt mean better.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

(its important you like the look of what you see at address).

. With most putters it's the Indian not the arrow, but get a good arrow and confidence improves..

I always see people say that it is important for the putter to look good. What evidence is available to show that this is true other than people making the statement? MGS tests have shown that looks are subjective and most times don’t line up with objective results.

Players can adapt themselves to a putter, but having the right combination of stroke mechanics and putter design can drastically improve performance. A mismatched combination can work in the short term but will often have issues in the long term or in pressure situations when a player falls back to natural stroke tendencies instead of the manipulations they make for the mismatched putter.

You can fit a player to a putter or fit a putter to a player. For me, I want the putter that fits my stroke.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I always see people say that it is important for the putter to look good. What evidence is available to show that this is true other than people making the statement? MGS tests have shown that looks are subjective and most times don’t line up with objective results.

Players can adapt themselves to a putter, but having the right combination of stroke mechanics and putter design can drastically improve performance. A mismatched combination can work in the short term but will often have issues in the long term or in pressure situations when a player falls back to natural stroke tendencies instead of the manipulations they make for the mismatched putter.

You can fit a player to a putter or fit a putter to a player. For me, I want the putter that fits my stroke.

My point, and opinion, is only related to it looking good at address, not just looking good.

For example I sourced the exact same Odyssey #7 that Luke Donald used as I really liked the look, but at address it sat closed -to my eye- which gave me no confidence and probably had me manipulating the head during the stroke.

I agree looks are subjective and so is confidence, neither can be measured and certainly I dont think theres any evidence either. 

It's more a state of mind and we all know a huge part of golf is in between the ears.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 11/26/2018 at 8:23 AM, GSwag said:

I did a fair amount of testing of the Evnroll on Friday night at the PGA Superstore and came away unimpressed honestly.  I also had a bias in my head, because everyone here has spoken glowingly about their putters.  But considering I spent several hours trying just about every putter out there the Evnroll didn't stand out to me in any regard.  Honestly, I thought the Cleveland putters were better overall, at least for me.  And when all things are equal if you are gonna have a choice between a $100 putter and a $350 putter and you can't tell the difference, I'm gonna pull the trigger on the cheaper option.

Now with all that said, I did my fair amount of testing with the Scotty's that were out and available to test with, and I can see why everyone loves them, as there is just something unique about the Scotty Cameron overall, at least as compared to everything else.

I guess it all comes down to feel for me, as I am a feel player, and after hitting so many putters, from the cheapest Tour Edge or Wilson, to a Scotty Cameron, if I would have had to pick one from the entire selection I would have bought a Cleveland putter.

I will also say that I spent a LOT of time trying out the new PING putters, and I loved the feel on those babies.  But I couldn't justify spending twice as much on a PING putter, when the Cleveland putters felt just as good or better for half the price.

I plan on doing the same thing this weekend, I'm really excited to hit the Ping Sigma 2's and the Huntington Beach SOFT's... Based on your  experience, which one did you fee was Softer coming off the face?

I plan on doing the same thing this weekend, I'm really excited to hit the Ping Sigma 2's and the Huntington Beach SOFT's... Based on your  experience, which one did you fee was Softer coming off the face?

I have tried them both and they are both soft but I think the Cleveland felt softer. I personally preferred the feel of the Sigma

31 minutes ago, css34 said:

The Cleveland feels softer but I preferred the Sigma 2's as an all-around putter. 

32 minutes ago, css34 said:

The PING was definitely softer, when you hit it on the center of the face.  Off face hits you actually feel and hear it differently.  But it's twice the price at the Cleveland.  My memory is already fading with my testing, but I don't seem to remember any other putter making a distinctively different sound on off-center hits on the putter.  It really might be a good way of helping improve your putting stroke when you work towards eliminating the off-center hits to get the positive soft sound results every time.

.  My memory is already fading with my testing, but I don't seem to remember any other putter making a distinctively different sound on off-center hits on the putter.  It really might be a good way of helping improve your putting stroke when you work towards eliminating the off-center hits to get the positive soft sound results every time.

This is huge for me and something I consider when selecting a putter. I want to know when I miss the center of the putter and where the strike occurs. To me most inserts while soft feel muted and hinder my ability to feel the strike location.

Just saw the Odyssey EXO Indianapolis.  That is by far the craziest looking putter I've seen.  Clearly a CAD/CAM jockey simply having way too many energy drinks caffeine.

http://blog.odysseygolf.com/exo/?_ga=2.195847215.2089081032.1543626368-20474742.1543626368#models

It has winglets, so it stands to reason it will drop more putts. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

56 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just saw the Odyssey EXO Indianapolis.  That is by far the craziest looking putter I've seen.  Clearly a CAD/CAM jockey simply having way too many energy drinks caffeine.

http://blog.odysseygolf.com/exo/?_ga=2.195847215.2089081032.1543626368-20474742.1543626368#models

@chemclub is doing a review on it here: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/26257-official-forum-member-review-odyssey-exo-putters/

13 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

It is certainly different in appearance but I actually think it has a simple, sleek look compared with other high MOI designs. The Scotty Futura models looked pretty bizarre and elaborate. 

Feel free to ask any questions or request other photo angles in that review thread.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

You just have to find the one that works best for you consistently... I’ve had a TON of putters over my life, but found the best one for me was a $135 Ping.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

• 3 months later...

I have an Edel putter and I absolutely love it. Their fitting system is second to none. It’s very involved. Coming away you’ll be way more excited about what you’re getting and the prospects in improving your putting. I spent almost $500 but a putter you can keep for 20 years rather than a driver which you’ll have to replace in 5. Go to YouTube and check out some of the fittings.

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

Archived