PutterLove1992

Looking to buy a new putter in the near future, please comment

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I always see people say that it is important for the putter to look good. What evidence is available to show that this is true other than people making the statement? MGS tests have shown that looks are subjective and most times don’t line up with objective results.

Players can adapt themselves to a putter, but having the right combination of stroke mechanics and putter design can drastically improve performance. A mismatched combination can work in the short term but will often have issues in the long term or in pressure situations when a player falls back to natural stroke tendencies instead of the manipulations they make for the mismatched putter.

You can fit a player to a putter or fit a putter to a player. For me, I want the putter that fits my stroke.

My point, and opinion, is only related to it looking good at address, not just looking good.

For example I sourced the exact same Odyssey #7 that Luke Donald used as I really liked the look, but at address it sat closed -to my eye- which gave me no confidence and probably had me manipulating the head during the stroke.

I agree looks are subjective and so is confidence, neither can be measured and certainly I dont think theres any evidence either. 

It's more a state of mind and we all know a huge part of golf is in between the ears.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:23 AM, GSwag said:

I did a fair amount of testing of the Evnroll on Friday night at the PGA Superstore and came away unimpressed honestly.  I also had a bias in my head, because everyone here has spoken glowingly about their putters.  But considering I spent several hours trying just about every putter out there the Evnroll didn't stand out to me in any regard.  Honestly, I thought the Cleveland putters were better overall, at least for me.  And when all things are equal if you are gonna have a choice between a $100 putter and a $350 putter and you can't tell the difference, I'm gonna pull the trigger on the cheaper option.

Now with all that said, I did my fair amount of testing with the Scotty's that were out and available to test with, and I can see why everyone loves them, as there is just something unique about the Scotty Cameron overall, at least as compared to everything else.

I guess it all comes down to feel for me, as I am a feel player, and after hitting so many putters, from the cheapest Tour Edge or Wilson, to a Scotty Cameron, if I would have had to pick one from the entire selection I would have bought a Cleveland putter.

I will also say that I spent a LOT of time trying out the new PING putters, and I loved the feel on those babies.  But I couldn't justify spending twice as much on a PING putter, when the Cleveland putters felt just as good or better for half the price.

I plan on doing the same thing this weekend, I'm really excited to hit the Ping Sigma 2's and the Huntington Beach SOFT's... Based on your  experience, which one did you fee was Softer coming off the face?

• Like 1

I plan on doing the same thing this weekend, I'm really excited to hit the Ping Sigma 2's and the Huntington Beach SOFT's... Based on your  experience, which one did you fee was Softer coming off the face?

I have tried them both and they are both soft but I think the Cleveland felt softer. I personally preferred the feel of the Sigma

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, css34 said:

The Cleveland feels softer but I preferred the Sigma 2's as an all-around putter. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, css34 said:

The PING was definitely softer, when you hit it on the center of the face.  Off face hits you actually feel and hear it differently.  But it's twice the price at the Cleveland.  My memory is already fading with my testing, but I don't seem to remember any other putter making a distinctively different sound on off-center hits on the putter.  It really might be a good way of helping improve your putting stroke when you work towards eliminating the off-center hits to get the positive soft sound results every time.

• Like 2

.  My memory is already fading with my testing, but I don't seem to remember any other putter making a distinctively different sound on off-center hits on the putter.  It really might be a good way of helping improve your putting stroke when you work towards eliminating the off-center hits to get the positive soft sound results every time.

This is huge for me and something I consider when selecting a putter. I want to know when I miss the center of the putter and where the strike occurs. To me most inserts while soft feel muted and hinder my ability to feel the strike location.
  • Like 2

Just saw the Odyssey EXO Indianapolis.  That is by far the craziest looking putter I've seen.  Clearly a CAD/CAM jockey simply having way too many energy drinks caffeine.

http://blog.odysseygolf.com/exo/?_ga=2.195847215.2089081032.1543626368-20474742.1543626368#models

It has winglets, so it stands to reason it will drop more putts. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just saw the Odyssey EXO Indianapolis.  That is by far the craziest looking putter I've seen.  Clearly a CAD/CAM jockey simply having way too many energy drinks caffeine.

http://blog.odysseygolf.com/exo/?_ga=2.195847215.2089081032.1543626368-20474742.1543626368#models

@chemclub is doing a review on it here: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/26257-official-forum-member-review-odyssey-exo-putters/

• Like 3

13 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

It is certainly different in appearance but I actually think it has a simple, sleek look compared with other high MOI designs. The Scotty Futura models looked pretty bizarre and elaborate. 

Feel free to ask any questions or request other photo angles in that review thread.

• Like 2

You just have to find the one that works best for you consistently... I’ve had a TON of putters over my life, but found the best one for me was a $135 Ping.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have an Edel putter and I absolutely love it. Their fitting system is second to none. It’s very involved. Coming away you’ll be way more excited about what you’re getting and the prospects in improving your putting. I spent almost $500 but a putter you can keep for 20 years rather than a driver which you’ll have to replace in 5. Go to YouTube and check out some of the fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy