kingcscott

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAthens, Ga
  • Handicap:8.8

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

I am becoming obsessed with the little gem. I have been reading and watching all sorts of things about it. As far as tough, well designed courses I have played Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, a few Donald Ross courses, RTJ, Caledonia and many others.
What can y'all tell me that may help me or further my obsession?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#2 deejaid

deejaid

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

I take it you read the article in The Golfers Journal about Sweetens Cove, yes? It does look like a fun little track. If I was anywhere near there I’d definitely go play it. It sounds like a refreshing change of pace from resort golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
WITB:
Driver-:cleveland-small:  Classic Custom XL 9*
Hybrid- :adams-small:  DHY 20*
Irons- :benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 23*- 43*  (4-9) KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges-  :benhogan-small: TK15  47*, 51*, 55*, 59*, 63* KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Putter- :cameron-small: Futura

#3 kingcscott

kingcscott

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAthens, Ga

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

No but I did listen to the podcast. Supremely entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy.

#4 kingcscott

kingcscott

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAthens, Ga

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

I watched a vlog. Damn it looks amazing

#5 Shankster

Shankster

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 7,582 posts
  • LocationAbove the 45th
  • Handicap:WX

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

This is what I would build, but a 27 hole place. I’d never leave. Now I just need 750+ acres and a $hit Ton of cash.

#6 kingcscott

kingcscott

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAthens, Ga

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

This is what I would build, but a 27 hole place. I’d never leave. Now I just need 750+ acres and a $hit Ton of cash.

no doubt. A cross between my 50 year old University of Georgia golf course, Tobacco Road and tons of others. Played yesterday with my mates after a golf camp. We were first out at 5:15 so few people played and we were all alone. HOLY COW! It was perfectly amazing. Like it was my own joint.

#7 kingcscott

kingcscott

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAthens, Ga

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

See my post about lottery buddy trips. My own course would be amazing

#8 Lefty78

Lefty78

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNorth Georgia
  • Handicap:10

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:46 AM

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 

Fairway: Ping G 400, 5 

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through 9, Titleist AP2 712, PW and LW

Wedges:  Titleist  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

#9 ole gray

ole gray

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 7,009 posts
  • LocationWatkinsville Ga.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:36 AM

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

I bet there aren't many courses in north Ga. that you haven't played!  I'd love to have  your resume when it comes to courses played.  :wub:

:ping-small:  G400 Max Driver

:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 4+ Wood

:callaway-small:  Steelhead XR 3H (19) 

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Irons 4 - PW
:cleveland-small:  CBX  Wedges 50 & 56 degree

:bettinardi-small:  Queen B #9 Putter

Square Strike Wedge (aka The Pocket Picker)

Note: Testing Cleveland Launcher HB Irons

#10 Philly Golf Guy

Philly Golf Guy

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 313 posts
  • Handicap:13

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

I reviewed SC when I played it back in 2015. Really liked it to the point of almost became a member. Lots of good things and a great example of what happens when guys with a lot of talent are free to design the course as they see fit.

Here’s my review of each hole.

http://bestphillygol...gspot.com/?m=1' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://bestphillygol...ogspot.com/?m=1

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

#11 HardcoreLooper

HardcoreLooper

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,127 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA
  • Handicap:8.3

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive. The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes. Layout is interesting, No parking lot as such, just a field. It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens. Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations. Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much. As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens.

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24 toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South. I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice.

My oldest is looking at colleges now, and we toured Sewanee. Part of me would love to see her go there. Of course, if she goes to William and Mary or JMU, I'll be able to find a place to play

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app
What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (14.5*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila Rogue Pro 75 ( S )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :cobra-small: Ultralight (Blue/Grey)
Ball - :titelist-small: Pro V1/Pro V1x/Kirkland Signature
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

#12 DannyDips

DannyDips

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGolf Capital of Tennessee
  • Handicap:8

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

I was actually fortunate enough to play 27 holes there a few weeks ago. What an incredible place. It's about an hour and half a drive but worth every minute. The reviews I had read compared it to Augusta National (which I have to admit I laughed at until I played a few greens.) The greens are what make this track a must play. I've never seen greens with this much undulation. The landing areas and slopes around the green make you need a complete arsenal of short game shots. My exact quote was it made me realize how "amateur and inadequate my short game is."

If you live close enough you won't regret the trip. The manager did say they have plans to make it a private course so get your rounds in asap.

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5°, X Stiff
:taylormade-small:  Rocketballz Stage 2 16.5° hybrid, X stiff
:taylormade-small:  M1 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  MP-15 4 iron thru PW, S300
:mizuno-small:  MP-T4 51°, 56° & 60°
:mizuno-small:  :bettinardi-small:  BC5 34" putter

#13 kingcscott

kingcscott

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationAthens, Ga

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

Some friends and I are going to try to get up there from Georgia this fall. Couple it with The Farm in Dalton Ga and the RTJ course in Huntsville Alabama. Nice little sweep around and back. Are there other courses to play in the area?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      13 Jul
    tlesirge

Retired and now loving my golf. Trouble is developed golf elbow. Any suggestions folks

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      11 Jul
    Macdiesel

Anyone out there wear or have worn New Balance spikes? In my opinion they make a pretty good shoe. As of late they have worked there way into the baseball scene and appears they have done quite well.

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors