kingcscott

Sweetens Cove

I am becoming obsessed with the little gem. I have been reading and watching all sorts of things about it. As far as tough, well designed courses I have played Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, a few Donald Ross courses, RTJ, Caledonia and many others.

What can y'all tell me that may help me or further my obsession?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I take it you read the article in The Golfers Journal about Sweetens Cove, yes? It does look like a fun little track. If I was anywhere near there I’d definitely go play it. It sounds like a refreshing change of pace from resort golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

No but I did listen to the podcast. Supremely entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy.

This is what I would build, but a 27 hole place. I’d never leave. Now I just need 750+ acres and a $hit Ton of cash.

• Like 1

This is what I would build, but a 27 hole place. I’d never leave. Now I just need 750+ acres and a $hit Ton of cash.

no doubt. A cross between my 50 year old University of Georgia golf course, Tobacco Road and tons of others. Played yesterday with my mates after a golf camp. We were first out at 5:15 so few people played and we were all alone. HOLY COW! It was perfectly amazing. Like it was my own joint.

• Like 1

See my post about lottery buddy trips. My own course would be amazing

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

• Like 2

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

I bet there aren't many courses in north Ga. that you haven't played!  I'd love to have  your resume when it comes to courses played.  :wub:

• Like 1

I reviewed SC when I played it back in 2015. Really liked it to the point of almost became a member. Lots of good things and a great example of what happens when guys with a lot of talent are free to design the course as they see fit.

Here’s my review of each hole.

http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/?m=1' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/?m=1

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive. The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes. Layout is interesting, No parking lot as such, just a field. It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens. Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations. Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much. As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens.

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24 toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South. I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice.

My oldest is looking at colleges now, and we toured Sewanee. Part of me would love to see her go there. Of course, if she goes to William and Mary or JMU, I'll be able to find a place to play

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I was actually fortunate enough to play 27 holes there a few weeks ago. What an incredible place. It's about an hour and half a drive but worth every minute. The reviews I had read compared it to Augusta National (which I have to admit I laughed at until I played a few greens.) The greens are what make this track a must play. I've never seen greens with this much undulation. The landing areas and slopes around the green make you need a complete arsenal of short game shots. My exact quote was it made me realize how "amateur and inadequate my short game is."

If you live close enough you won't regret the trip. The manager did say they have plans to make it a private course so get your rounds in asap.

• Like 1

Some friends and I are going to try to get up there from Georgia this fall. Couple it with The Farm in Dalton Ga and the RTJ course in Huntsville Alabama. Nice little sweep around and back. Are there other courses to play in the area?