TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sweetens Cove

I am becoming obsessed with the little gem. I have been reading and watching all sorts of things about it. As far as tough, well designed courses I have played Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, a few Donald Ross courses, RTJ, Caledonia and many others.

What can y'all tell me that may help me or further my obsession?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I take it you read the article in The Golfers Journal about Sweetens Cove, yes? It does look like a fun little track. If I was anywhere near there I'd definitely go play it. It sounds like a refreshing change of pace from resort golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

This is what I would build, but a 27 hole place. I'd never leave. Now I just need 750+ acres and a $hit Ton of cash.

no doubt. A cross between my 50 year old University of Georgia golf course, Tobacco Road and tons of others. Played yesterday with my mates after a golf camp. We were first out at 5:15 so few people played and we were all alone. HOLY COW! It was perfectly amazing. Like it was my own joint.

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

I bet there aren't many courses in north Ga. that you haven't played!  I'd love to have  your resume when it comes to courses played.  :wub:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I reviewed SC when I played it back in 2015. Really liked it to the point of almost became a member. Lots of good things and a great example of what happens when guys with a lot of talent are free to design the course as they see fit.

Here's my review of each hole.

http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/?m=1' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/?m=1

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive. The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes. Layout is interesting, No parking lot as such, just a field. It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens. Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations. Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much. As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens.

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24 toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South. I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice.

My oldest is looking at colleges now, and we toured Sewanee. Part of me would love to see her go there. Of course, if she goes to William and Mary or JMU, I'll be able to find a place to play

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually fortunate enough to play 27 holes there a few weeks ago. What an incredible place. It's about an hour and half a drive but worth every minute. The reviews I had read compared it to Augusta National (which I have to admit I laughed at until I played a few greens.) The greens are what make this track a must play. I've never seen greens with this much undulation. The landing areas and slopes around the green make you need a complete arsenal of short game shots. My exact quote was it made me realize how "amateur and inadequate my short game is."

If you live close enough you won't regret the trip. The manager did say they have plans to make it a private course so get your rounds in asap.

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

• 2 weeks later...

Some friends and I are going to try to get up there from Georgia this fall. Couple it with The Farm in Dalton Ga and the RTJ course in Huntsville Alabama. Nice little sweep around and back. Are there other courses to play in the area?

• 2 years later...

Just to revive this thread, I am going to Sweetens for the second time this weekend and would highly recommend it to anyone within 4 hours drive of Chattanooga. I am absolutely stoked to be going again. The course is typically in excellent shape with no rough, diabolical green complexes and well placed bunkering. For the most part, the course only sells full day and 1/2 day passes to control the amount of traffic which ends up giving you a brisk pace of play and on a nice day you can easily walk 45-54 holes. Each green has two pin locations so you can rotate between those on each 9 if you want some variation. Also, the first 9 I played out there (on a day when I walked 52 holes) one of my friends suggested not even keeping score the first time around. It made sense after I got near the greens, I had never played a golf course where you had such a razor's edge to land your approach shots and hold the green. If you're keeping a hardcore score, this could ruin your experience. If you just see it as a golf shot you have to execute, it is much more fun. Each hole has an interesting strategic element and based on which pin you are going to, you might play the hole completely differently. 

One last note, when it is firm and fast out there, unless you have a phenomenal short game it is probably best to just putt, even up some of the 5 foot high slopes leading up to the green. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

2 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Just to revive this thread, I am going to Sweetens for the second time this weekend and would highly recommend it to anyone within 4 hours drive of Chattanooga. I am absolutely stoked to be going again. The course is typically in excellent shape with no rough, diabolical green complexes and well placed bunkering. For the most part, the course only sells full day and 1/2 day passes to control the amount of traffic which ends up giving you a brisk pace of play and on a nice day you can easily walk 45-54 holes. Each green has two pin locations so you can rotate between those on each 9 if you want some variation. Also, the first 9 I played out there (on a day when I walked 52 holes) one of my friends suggested not even keeping score the first time around. It made sense after I got near the greens, I had never played a golf course where you had such a razor's edge to land your approach shots and hold the green. If you're keeping a hardcore score, this could ruin your experience. If you just see it as a golf shot you have to execute, it is much more fun. Each hole has an interesting strategic element and based on which pin you are going to, you might play the hole completely differently. 

One last note, when it is firm and fast out there, unless you have a phenomenal short game it is probably best to just putt, even up some of the 5 foot high slopes leading up to the green. 

Sweetins is definitely on my list to play. I'm just a couple of hours away (east of Chattanooga) and almost went when we were furloughed last year. Have fun on your trip!

On 5/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, vandyland said:

I got a group going up there mid July! Looking forward to it. When Sweetens opened up their reservation window for the spring earlier this year, it sold out in 30 minutes! We went from trying to go in May to barely grabbing a spot in July. We ended up getting carts with the fear that the temperatures might get up there which should easily allow us to get our money's worth and play at least 45 holes.

We are looking around at other courses close by to hit up the day before. I noticed Sewanee Country Club was closed and not open to the public. Would you recommend any others close by?

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

The Course at Sewanee should be open. They were closed to students and faculty only during the first semester but I would imagine in July that would not be the case. It is also technically a 9 hole course though it has two sets of tees for each hole so you can play from different yardages. It was redesigned by Gil Hanse in the mid 2010's so it is typically in very good shape. Has excellent views and I would highly recommend it if you can get on. As for Chattanooga, it is a heavy private scene there but there are decent, municipal courses like Brainerd and Moccasin Bend. Neither will knock your socks off. Sewanee would be a MUCH better option IMHO. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

4 hours ago, vandyland said:

The Course at Sewanee should be open. They were closed to students and faculty only during the first semester but I would imagine in July that would not be the case. It is also technically a 9 hole course though it has two sets of tees for each hole so you can play from different yardages. It was redesigned by Gil Hanse in the mid 2010's so it is typically in very good shape. Has excellent views and I would highly recommend it if you can get on. As for Chattanooga, it is a heavy private scene there but there are decent, municipal courses like Brainerd and Moccasin Bend. Neither will knock your socks off. Sewanee would be a MUCH better option IMHO. 

I’ll call up to Sewanee and ask to see if they are going to be open in July to the public. Thanks!

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

RH, Alabama

I've seen all of the folklore on this course and it seems well deserved.  I don't get to Tennessee as often as I used to unfortunately, but will have to keep this one in mind if I'm around the area.  I just hope that I have enough lead time to actually book a day pass.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Conditions were excellent this weekend and got in 54 holes (walking). We played 36 holes standard from the blue tees, 9 holes from the front tees and 9 holes of the illuminati (secret) routing that is a cross country routing of the course. Played from 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM and only stopped for about 30 minutes. Just an excellent, excellent experience and, again, not a course I would want to play every day but dying to play it every year if that makes sense. It was still slightly wet in a few places but the greens were still quite fast and No. 7 has easily the toughest green I have ever played. 

@juspoole - they don't charge people that don't show up (yet) so every time I have been there at least one group hasn't shown up. Not something you would want to gamble on coming from Indiana but I think a ton of people speculatively book a pass and then don't get out there. Hard to get in contact with the pro shop but you might be able to email them a week out and see if anyone cancelled their pass. 

• 2 months later...

A couples buddies and I had the opportunity to play Sweetens Cove yesterday. To echo some of the things @vandyland said, it was such an awesome experience. We played from 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM. Brought some PB&Js, snickers, crackers, waters, and gatorades hit the course. We ended up playing about 54 holes with a cart. Our group played 18 holes (9 at the blue flag, then 9 at the white flag) from the tips (6600 yds) to get a feel for the course. Then we started to incorporate a lot of fun games like shamble, alternate shot, scramble, 1 club challenge, etc. in 3 hole increments. The price if you don’t know, $115 to walk, $165 with cart for all day experience. 

The course is so pure with 2 legit par 5s that cannot be reached from the tips in 2 unless you bomb a 300+ yard drive and then 260-270 yard approach. The 2 par 3s aren’t challenging in terms of distance, but trying to land the ball on the right tier is where it gets you. We loved the mix of or 4s. You had 2 driveable par 4s, 2 longer par 4s, and then 1 driver/wedge combo. Like @vandyland said, that was the toughest greens I’ve ever played on. Loved the challenge. Super tough to even try and chip up on if you missed the green. It was a great day, great weather, great time. Here’s some pics below.

92135BBE-741A-443B-9C29-E26ADEE03107.jpeg.76ad5c0b7f5855a552d619bf3f4eb985.jpeg

41357577-D916-4E2D-97ED-2BC442A7491A.jpeg.1bddd39e03ceefa39832565911297931.jpeg

D3DCB910-26AA-45C1-8CAF-63C81DC60A4B.jpeg.eebf5ca9fe170f9eed57fa62b856c357.jpeg

035EC48C-BAB2-40DB-BA5C-F6C9D5D62C8D.jpeg.3f07757cdfa064479f5301cea78ac579.jpeg

1D6C9FF2-C8C4-4C7A-B697-550E2D2D0C52.jpeg.e6572c4736873da7f036ae613b73bc2a.jpeg

460363A7-E656-421D-9E0D-AC7FF91C9AD3.jpeg.a0b980cfe533b17d81ed1ad4505320fd.jpeg

06234107-A6C0-4513-AF1B-133A33321B8D.jpeg.39cff7aa378a4dff04401dce023c1482.jpeg

ACB2E606-EA4B-4193-9E98-911056267E6C.jpeg.698bbfaa402e160f7af832306f092238.jpeg

C5392659-3D9D-4519-913B-5BA168CAC466.jpeg.e067d4c46b0d7739b609ff15babd8a54.jpeg

29BB5711-E621-4DEC-B379-B4CBE98DB04A.jpeg.34caa9623dddd418d0a5c4aeaab679e7.jpeg

EF5C14F7-906D-449E-B220-1C144575256E.jpeg.28f5eaee33597fa2f244705536d6a5b2.jpeg

RH, Alabama

Looks awesome and glad you had good weather! I see you got in a tee shot from the No Laying Up house as well. Very cool. What was the toughest hole for you? I found #7's green to be the most challenging. That hole seems like it would hard regardless of it is was 250 yards or 450 yards. Hardest tee shot was #6. Did you guys get a chance to do the Illuminati routing?

On 7/20/2021 at 10:59 AM, vandyland said:

Looks awesome and glad you had good weather! I see you got in a tee shot from the No Laying Up house as well. Very cool. What was the toughest hole for you? I found #7's green to be the most challenging. That hole seems like it would hard regardless of it is was 250 yards or 450 yards. Hardest tee shot was #6. Did you guys get a chance to do the Illuminati routing?

I agree that hole 7’s green was the most challenging being up on a platform but having false fronts on every side. I thought 8’s green was tough when you went for the flag on the back left. I would say hole 4 or 5 was the hardest tee shot. With hole 4 being a blind one, they had the holes cut on the front right and back right. Our group probably missed the green 2/4 every time. If you went for the green on 5 (which I did every time and got on once) it was a tough shot, but if you took 3/5 wood or iron, it was easy to find the fairway.

We didn’t follow the Illuminati routing, but we made up some of our own holes which was fun. For example, black tees on 1 to 8 green (230 yd shot), hole 5 tees to 1 green.

Overall great time. Got our moneys worth. It was projected to storm for a couple hours and it never did, which was awesome.

RH, Alabama

• 7 months later...

I am headed back to Sweetens Cove on March 19th. @TBS will be joining me. I originally got 8 passes, but only need 4.

I thought I’d mention it here first, I have 4 available passes to play from sun up to sun down. Pay once you get there. $100ish to walk, $150ish to ride. Let me know if interested! Would be cool to meet some of the MGS family.

RH, Alabama