Our Sponsors

I am becoming obsessed with the little gem. I have been reading and watching all sorts of things about it. As far as tough, well designed courses I have played Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, a few Donald Ross courses, RTJ, Caledonia and many others.

What can y'all tell me that may help me or further my obsession?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I take it you read the article in The Golfers Journal about Sweetens Cove, yes? It does look like a fun little track. If I was anywhere near there I'd definitely go play it. It sounds like a refreshing change of pace from resort golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

This is what I would build, but a 27 hole place. I'd never leave. Now I just need 750+ acres and a $hit Ton of cash.

no doubt. A cross between my 50 year old University of Georgia golf course, Tobacco Road and tons of others. Played yesterday with my mates after a golf camp. We were first out at 5:15 so few people played and we were all alone. HOLY COW! It was perfectly amazing. Like it was my own joint.

• Like 1

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

• Like 2

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive.  The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes.  Layout is interesting,  No parking lot as such, just a field.  It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens.  Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations.   Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much.  As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens. 

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24  toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South.  I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice. 

I bet there aren't many courses in north Ga. that you haven't played!  I'd love to have  your resume when it comes to courses played.  :wub:

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I reviewed SC when I played it back in 2015. Really liked it to the point of almost became a member. Lots of good things and a great example of what happens when guys with a lot of talent are free to design the course as they see fit.

Here's my review of each hole.

http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/?m=1' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/?m=1

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Sweeten's Cove is an hour from here and worth the drive. The club house is a small trailer, the location is a nice quiet country setting. Easy to get to, just off I-24. Grass is pretty good, a little rough around the fringes. Layout is interesting, No parking lot as such, just a field. It's a fairly flat course except for those greens, wow, those greens. Huge, with humps, bumps, and lots of pin locations. Bring some food and drink, the trailer doesn't have much. As long as you aren't looking for some manicured, la-de-dah "experience", you will have a good time at Sweetens.

There is another highly regarded nine hole course less than hour west on I-24 toward Nashville on Monteagle Mountain, The Sewanee golf course at the University of the South. I haven't played there but plan on a trip this summer to play both courses instead of playing Sweetens twice.

My oldest is looking at colleges now, and we toured Sewanee. Part of me would love to see her go there. Of course, if she goes to William and Mary or JMU, I'll be able to find a place to play

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually fortunate enough to play 27 holes there a few weeks ago. What an incredible place. It's about an hour and half a drive but worth every minute. The reviews I had read compared it to Augusta National (which I have to admit I laughed at until I played a few greens.) The greens are what make this track a must play. I've never seen greens with this much undulation. The landing areas and slopes around the green make you need a complete arsenal of short game shots. My exact quote was it made me realize how "amateur and inadequate my short game is."

If you live close enough you won't regret the trip. The manager did say they have plans to make it a private course so get your rounds in asap.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9° (set to 8°) Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi X-Stiff
:taylormade-small:  Rocketballz Stage 2 16.5° hybrid, X stiff
:taylormade-small:  M1 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  MP-15 4 iron thru PW, S300
:mizuno-small:  MP-T4 51°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

• 2 weeks later...

Some friends and I are going to try to get up there from Georgia this fall. Couple it with The Farm in Dalton Ga and the RTJ course in Huntsville Alabama. Nice little sweep around and back. Are there other courses to play in the area?