Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New Players Distance Iron

DPattGolf

For those interested in the Players Distance category, Golfworks' Maltby line has just released their first option to the category in the TS-2 Forged. To me the design looks a bit similar to the Cobra Forged Tec Black with it's small cavity and with each head selling for $49.99 it seems like a potentially great lower priced option. Also of note, it sounds like a Blade version, like the P790, is in the works and hopefully will become available sometime this summer.

Here is the overview of the TS-2 directly from Golfworks.com

Overview

The Maltby TS-2 forged irons were designed to enhance playability and distance typically not found in a true forged iron design. Utilizing the most advanced 5 step forging process available, the ST-2 irons feature a hollow 3 piece construction consisting of a thin, 2mm 1025C forged face and 1025C body with an internal tungsten weight positioned low and towards the toe for precise center of gravity locations throughout the set. The #4 iron thru #9 also feature an internal cavity behind the whole club face that is filled with dense polymer to enhance feel and boost the deflection of the thin carbon steel face at impact.

Features:

• True Forged from 1025C Carbon Steel using the most advanced 5 step forging process available
  • Hollow polymer injection filled 3 piece construction
  • Forged titanium face and body with internal tungsten toe weighting to ensure the horizontal cg location is positioned in the center of the club face
  • Injected Polymer produces exceptional sound and feel
  • Thin, forged titanium face increases ball speeds for increased distance
  • CNC milled face ensures face flatness for more consistency
  • Multi-Groove technology places more CNC milled square grooves on the face for improved consistency, trajectory and spin
  • Attractive and durable nickel chrome finish protects the club and enhances feel
  • Progressive offsets to help square the face at impact in the long irons and improve alignment in the short irons.
  • Progressive sole angle (bounce), modern tour leading edge grind and 4 way radius sole provides the optimum turf interaction from a variety of turf conditions.
  • Modern lofts, combined with the optimal vertical cg locations, optimizes trajectory and distance.
  • Universal hosel accepts both .370" parallel tip and .355" taper tip iron shafts.
  • Recommended Ferrule - MA0300

MA0294specs.jpg

I will also apologize now for the small images of the clubs.

TS2.1.jpg

TS2.2.jpg

TS2.3.jpg

TS2.4.jpg

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Those have some pretty hot lofts for a forged players type iron. Maltby does design some quality stuff though. Personally even though they have a "universal hosel" I would go with a 370 shaft because there are so many different tuning options with a 370 versus a 355 shaft unless you went with a set of flighted and tuned Rifle shafts

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Those have some pretty hot lofts for a forged players type iron. Maltby does design some quality stuff though. Personally even though they have a "universal hosel" I would go with a 370 shaft because there are so many different tuning options with a 370 versus a 355 shaft unless you went with a set of flighted and tuned Rifle shafts

Lofts are right in line with other clubs in this category of iron. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I have always known Maltby produces some very good products. And I am sure these will perform very well, but just not a fan of the looks. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Boy no kidding! Makes the lofts on my Wishons play like retro 60's. No wonder I seem to be losing distance. Or perhaps everyone is gaining? LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Boy no kidding! Makes the lofts on my Wishons play like retro 60's. No wonder I seem to be losing distance. Or perhaps everyone is gaining? LOL

My wishon clubs are 10 to 15 yards shorter than the Callaway GI clubs I had before. I don't mind being shorter I do like the advantage of consistent ball flight though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

That is one thick top line.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of the TS2 in play and they are phenomenal.

Right off the bat I put it head to head with a TM 790. 6 iron to 6 iron the launch and carry were identical, but the TS2 has better spin numbers. The TS2 has a softer feel and the results were repeated on course. They were also much better on dispersion.

The TS2 was a little more than a 1/2 club longer than the MMB. They are very easy to hit and the sole grind is near magic. It cruises through turf and rough. It's a subtle rocker, almost a v sole.

The accuracy of these were stellar. The star of the entire set wound up being the PW. I instantly fell in love with it and can hit any shot I choose with ease. A high full shot that stops instantly or a half swing, low two hop and stop checker. In hand they are very good looking and after the first round I dont even notice the thick top line. They also do extremely well at a knock down shot. Spin is damn near perfect. They have not spun back for me yet but even the 6 iron only releases at the most 4' from its pitch mark and that's the extreme. With summer baked out fairways these booted the MMBs out of the bag. The MMBs were digging in and every thing was borderline fat. These soles just glide over the turf. They won me over almost instantly.

This is Maltbys best iron to date,, bar none.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have had these in play for a while now. I switched to the Dynamic Gold 105s S300 and it was a good move. Great distance, and I mean great. Accurate and they stop!!!. I am truly smitten with these and the more I play the more I love them. Shot a -4 and backed it up with a -2. A true point and shoot set of iron for a player. The dont like to be hit thin but on the button they feel amazing. Plus the sole is like magic. Not quite a true v sole but it glide through turf and rough. Have not hit anything fat and that is my miss. The TS-1 release is something I have been waiting for but these are so good im no longer waiting for them. If you struggle ball striking you might not like the feel but they still perform amazing.

I would love to see these built and tested in the Most Wanted Players Irons Category.

Could someone please do that?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev is that you??

Actually yes - just because a club category isn't right for me doesn't mean it's not right for others. Any way right or wrong most serious golfers are going to gravitate towards irons in this category anyway.

Maltby is the guru of playability - why shouldn't his equipment be included in a test head to head vs. other equipment whose playability he rates?

Let's see, in fact I would suggest entering two sets, one assembled by a professional club builder and one assembled by a guy in his work shop at home.

I'm serious about this one - I think it would be interesting. I've never owned Maltby irons but I've always admired them, him and those who game his stuff. I'd like to see how it performs in a test.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If more people realized that despite the MUCH lower cost that they perform as well or better than comparable OEM Maltby wouldn't be able to keep up.

I put the TS-2,, head to head with the P790 in the simulator and got the same exact launch and ball speed numbers but spin numbers were much better than the P790.

I have put Bobby products over the years against every OEM and the only thing that you're getting with OEM is less money in your pocket.

Over the years Maltby has designed quite a few OEM heads. They literally wrote the book on playability and their standards for club categories are used industry wide.

I love it at the 1st hole when someone will look at my Maltby gear and scoff at it.. at the 18th hole I gladly take their money.

I did a fitting with the woman yesterday that couldn't hit her ladies Taylor made driver more than 75 yds. I handed her an L Tech driver at 15゚ and the 1st 5 shots all when a 150 yd.

Flat out the Malby stuff works and they know how to design it for specific golfers and categories

Actually yes - just because a club category isn't right for me doesn't mean it's not right for others. Any way right or wrong most serious golfers are going to gravitate towards irons in this category anyway.

Maltby is the guru of playability - why shouldn't his equipment be included in a test head to head vs. other equipment whose playability he rates?

Let's see, in fact I would suggest entering two sets, one assembled by a professional club builder and one assembled by a guy in his work shop at home.

I'm serious about this one - I think it would be interesting. I've never owned Maltby irons but I've always admired them, him and those who game his stuff. I'd like to see how it performs in a test.

Most wanted blades... sign me up for full intrigue mode.

Dang, I love the looks except I can't live with that topline.  Its super thick in the pics, reminds me of the older callaways or something. 

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Dang, I love the looks except I can't live with that topline. Its super thick in the pics, reminds me of the older callaways or something.

After the first round you will never even notice the topline. I'm coming from blades and at first I was horrified.. then I started to hit them. The performance is what comes through.

Plus the TS-1 that's close to release is much narrower if you really can't get past it.

The 1st picture is the P790 And it clearly shows that it's not spinning as much. This was also proven in the golf course where the P790 couldnt hold the green. These were both 6 iron heads with the same loftattachicon.gif 20180627_181430.jpegattachicon.gif 20180627_181625.jpeg

The spin or lack there of is not the reason the ball is not holding the greens. I spin my 6 iron at 5060 and ball stops immediately. Looks like combo of launch angle and decent angle. Spin rates look perfect.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

The spin or lack there of is not the reason the ball is not holding the greens. I spin my 6 iron at 5060 and ball stops immediately. Looks like combo of launch angle and decent angle. Spin rates look perfect.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What surprised me about the TS-2 is that the VCOG is fairly high yet they spin really well. I put it head to head with a TE 7 iron and the TS-2 8 iron which match up loft wise. The TE launches much higher and couldnt match the dispersion of the TS-2. For a 'Distance' players club they are extremely accurate.

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, tommc23 said:

My wishon clubs are 10 to 15 yards shorter than the Callaway GI clubs I had before. I don't mind being shorter I do like the advantage of consistent ball flight though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's a lot of yardage to give up.

I find it hard to believe you couldn't find a better performing iron that is as consistent.

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

On 11/15/2019 at 1:30 AM, Grand Stranded said:

That's a lot of yardage to give up.

I find it hard to believe you couldn't find a better performing iron that is as consistent.

I'm not as short this year maybe 5 to 7 yards. I played all of 2018 with a slow rhythm swing. I have a fast tempo but I was too fast. I slowed down all of 2018 became more consistent then this year I kept my tempo the same but was able to swing harder with a better tempo and hitting the sweet spot consistently. I'm still shorter than my friends who play GI but i don't get the fliers they do.