TESTERS WANTED! ×

On the hunt for new irons

Hicks

As the title suggests, I'm on the hunt for new irons. I'm currently playing Cleveland TA-6's I've had since I was 15. 11 year later, I'm looking for an upgrade. What are the general recommendations from guys on here? The TaylorMade M2's caught my eye as well as the new Cleveland CBX.

Driver: Ping G5 (9°, Regular Flex)

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 (Regular Flex)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 (52°, 56°, 60°)

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Spider S 

Dexterity: Left-Handed

Handicap: 24

What's your story? What do you usually shoot? What's your miss?

What's your budget?

As the title suggests, I'm on the hunt for new irons. I'm currently playing Cleveland TA-6's I've had since I was 15. 11 year later, I'm looking for an upgrade. What are the general recommendations from guys on here? The TaylorMade M2's caught my eye as well as the new Cleveland CBX.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Make sure you apply to test the Cleveland's then! As Stroker said, provide more details. That will help make giving recommendations easier. What about the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal irons? Those look great and they are comparable to the M2's.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

There's so many good irons out right now, used & new.

If you have a golf shop by you. Hit as many as you can.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

This. So much this.

Also, I'll add the C300s to the list too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Being fit for irons is never gonna hurt you either. Just because you get fit doesn't mean you have to buy them but it will give you an idea of what shaft to play and a head that works for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Along with this I would suggest not looking at the "name" on the club and go with what feels good. Nobody is going to care what irons you have...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Are you looking to be fit or buy OTR?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If I were you I'd stick around the Forum for a while and read and learn. There's guys in here playing all sorts of irons. Some you've probably never heard of. Read the Blog too and do some searching and reading reviews, etc. Don't get in a hurry.

What I think doesn't mean jack for what you should play. I like my irons but you might not.

Oh, did I say, don't get in a hurry.  :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I always felt like “Cleveland guys” were people who played what felt and worked best for them. Open minded and looking for a good quality club they feel confident swinging.

Good luck in your search, this board is a wealth of knowledge.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

M2 and CBX are improvement clubs, more of the “distance” type. I'd recommend a fitting and don't be afraid the say what you'd like to try. I've heard very good things about the new Ping G700! They're in the same category as those you mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I recently just got fit for new irons myself. I tried the Rogues, Ping G400, and TaylorMade M4. I ended up with the M4, the distance is crazy, almost effortless. Like everyone else said get fit. I wasn't even interested in these before I was fit to them.

Good luck!

Callaway Rouge SZ 9 Driver

Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

When I was fit/bought my current set, I tried in advance to swing everything that I was remotely interested in. I narrowed that down to about four that I felt I liked the feel of, and then went to my fitter. Told him what I had been up to. We hit several brands/models, and I did my best to not pay attention to WHAT club I was hitting, but how it felt and what the ball flight results were. Once we eventually zeroed in on a clubhead, then we dialed in shafts and grips.

I think you have to have a baseline yourself. If you look down at a certain club, and it looks like a sledgehammer to your eye, I don't believe you'll play well. Confidence is huge. Find some clubs you think you like. Find some you KNOW you don't like. If your fitter is good, you'll dial in the right sticks.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

What's your story? What do you usually shoot? What's your miss?

What's your budget?

I'm a fairly casual golfer but in the last couple of years I've been trying to get out to the course as much as I can. I'm always at the range with my Dad about 4 or 5 times a week. I'm usually shooting low 90's. I don't exactly know what you mean my miss. I'm guessing miss hit shots? I'm fairly consistent out of the tee box and approach shots to the green. My chipping needs a lot of work and would attribute to most of my miss hits. I'd say my budget is around $1000. 

Along with this I would suggest not looking at the "name" on the club and go with what feels good. Nobody is going to care what irons you have...

The initial draw to the Taylor Made M2 and the Cleveland CBX was I needed at least some place to start the hunt. My Dad hits Taylor Made R11s and is quite happy with them. I was interested in the new Clevelands to see what the difference in feel would be like between my current ones and new ones on the market.

Are you looking to be fit or buy OTR?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

I'd like to get fit and have a general sense of which clubs I should be looking at. I would hate to buy something OTR and find out on the course that it has actually hurt my game.

If I were you I'd stick around the Forum for a while and read and learn. There's guys in here playing all sorts of irons. Some you've probably never heard of. Read the Blog too and do some searching and reading reviews, etc. Don't get in a hurry.

What I think doesn't mean jack for what you should play. I like my irons but you might not.

Oh, did I say, don't get in a hurry.  :D

There are probably tons of clubs I've never heard of. Just yesterday I learned that Bettinardi Putter existed. 

I always felt like “Cleveland guys” were people who played what felt and worked best for them. Open minded and looking for a good quality club they feel confident swinging.

Good luck in your search, this board is a wealth of knowledge.

100% I'm open to anything that fits my swing. I'm sure it will come down to a few options that have a similar feel (or maybe not). At that point I think I'll be deciding on what I feel most confident swinging.

I'm a fairly casual golfer but in the last couple of years I've been trying to get out to the course as much as I can. I'm always at the range with my Dad about 4 or 5 times a week. I'm usually shooting low 90's. I don't exactly know what you mean my miss. I'm guessing miss hit shots? I'm fairly consistent out of the tee box and approach shots to the green. My chipping needs a lot of work and would attribute to most of my miss hits. I'd say my budget is around $1000. 

The initial draw to the Taylor Made M2 and the Cleveland CBX was I needed at least some place to start the hunt. My Dad hits Taylor Made R11s and is quite happy with them. I was interested in the new Clevelands to see what the difference in feel would be like between my current ones and new ones on the market.

I'd like to get fit and have a general sense of which clubs I should be looking at. I would hate to buy something OTR and find out on the course that it has actually hurt my game.

There are probably tons of clubs I've never heard of. Just yesterday I learned that Bettinardi Putter existed. 

100% I'm open to anything that fits my swing. I'm sure it will come down to a few options that have a similar feel (or maybe not). At that point I think I'll be deciding on what I feel most confident swinging.

With that budget I highly recommend going to a certified fitter in your area who will be able to find the optimal set of irons for you and your swing....you will have enough $ leftover to buy yourself a good set after the fitting.

(by "your miss" I mean do you typically hook the ball, slice it, hit it fat, thin, etc....that will go a long way in determining the set of irons you'll have the most success with)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

With that budget I highly recommend going to a certified fitter in your area who will be able to find the optimal set of irons for you and your swing....you will have enough $ leftover to buy yourself a good set after the fitting.

(by "your miss" I mean do you typically hook the ball, slice it, hit it fat, thin, etc....that will go a long way in determining the set of irons you'll have the most success with)

My miss for the irons is a slice. I usually feel my hands are just a little bit behind where they should be when this happens.

Make sure you apply to test the Cleveland's then! As Stroker said, provide more details. That will help make giving recommendations easier. What about the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal irons? Those look great and they are comparable to the M2's.

I definitely tossed my name in for that. I figured as a high handicap player I could provide a different perspective than someone that shoots close to par.

I definitely tossed my name in for that. I figured as a high handicap player I could provide a different perspective than someone that shoots close to par.

Yeah, the mods will definitely be looking for higher handicaps on this one, so that narrows down the field a bit.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

There are plenty of iron sets in my closet - come on over and pick one out. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There's so much good stuff out there, by a bevy of manufacturers - as has been suggested by others, get out and hit some clubs (in causal in-store "testing" sessions, find the demo days near you, and a few fittings) if you have the availability.

Just don't rush the decision - it's crazy how often these manufacturers release something new, and you don't want to buy one thing only to find out later that you'd wished you'd been more patient.

Good luck in your search.

Have you been following me around for the past 40 years?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

And don't overlook Wilson and Cobra. Both make quality GI clubs.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Just went through same process - advice here to swing as many as possible is great. If you can, rent clubs when you play - unless your fitting says you need aggressive length and lie changes, you will get a great appreciation for how the clubs play in real life. Also, “don't look at label” goes both ways - I ended up with Titleist despite initially thinking I should be buying Cleveland/Ping/Adams until I'm a single digit HC. I went twice to fitting - Callaway/TM first time, Titleist second w basically same adjustment results both times.

:ping-small: G400MAX Driver 10.5* w/ Kuro Kage S

:callaway-small:  XR16 3W w/ MF AT S

:callaway-small:  XR OS 19* Hybrid w/ FS Evolution II 565

:titelist-small:  4-PW AP3 w/ TT AMT Black

:vokey-small:   SM6 50.8 F w/ TT Dynamic Gold

:callaway-small: MD3 56.12 W w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Tommy Armour Impacty Series #3 Alignment Putter

Ogio GROM Black

Archived