TESTERS WANTED! ×

Home Field Advantage for NCAA Championship?

Comemonday

I don't think it's fair Bama lost to OSU on their home course where OSU have putted those greens hundreds of times. Is that a thing in NCAA golf where one team gets a home crowd, living normally with no time change and a tv show?

I'm not a Bama fan and I honestly could not have cared less but because of “driven” on the golf channel. Makes me wonder how it all came together really. Like it was scripted almost. Hmmmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Snedeker posted on twitter its time for a neutral site. When he played there in 2003 or whatever shot an 80 and wondered why they all hit 1 iron off every tee during practice. Golf is one sport where local knowledge is king both teams should have limited access to the course though out the year to be fair. But that is how some college sports work. My sister in-law was on the equestrian team at the University of Minnesota. Her senior year the made team sectionals to go to Nationals had to go to Ohio States back yard with the horses they used everyday for practice. It a lot different getting a horse you've never rode to do the same thing as a horse you ride every day.  Also judged sports are crap.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Home crowds and home team advantages are part of sports.

What was the reason they played in Oklahoma?

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I cannot believe I'm saying this.... But I whole heartedly agree.

Btw, yes I am a Bama fan. Although it matters little here.

I've made this same argument for years on this same forum. Playing your home course, and sleeping in your own bed around your same friends make things much more normal in pressure situations.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I don't think it's fair Bama lost to OSU on their home course where OSU have putted those greens hundreds of times. Is that a thing in NCAA golf where one team gets a home crowd, living normally with no time change and a tv show?

I'm not a Bama fan and I honestly could not have cared less but because of “driven” on the golf channel. Makes me wonder how it all came together really. Like it was scripted almost. Hmmmmm.

I am no fan of the NCAA but the only conspiracy here would be economics. Who can host this thing and make money?

That's what the group cares about.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

They played there in 2014 and Augusta won it that year. How many times has the home team not won it on their home course. Let not forget OSU was one of the best teams all year. They beat #2 ranked team in the quarterfinals

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Hosting does not equate winning. Since 1939, only one other time has the host team won (2016 Oregon).

There are many championships, at all levels, that are not decided at a neutral location. Fair may not have been the best word choice to describe the situation.

Karsten Creek has been open since 1994. It's not a secret venue that only OSU's golf team is allowed to play. Members and guests alike are allowed to play the course. It also has hosted the NCAA championship two other times (2003 and 2011). This is not a hidden, secretive, exclusive course.

Also, scripted is a loaded word to use. You are insinuating that every other team, coach, and school threw their matches. Words matter.

Serendipitous could be a better word choice. Or incredible. Or unprecedented.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

There are many championships, at all levels, that are not decided at a neutral location. Fair may not have been the best word choice to describe the situation.

I attended the 2017 Men's Volleyball National Championship between Ohio State and BYU (hosted by Ohio State). Was it unfair to BYU? OSU certainly had home court advantage, but had OSU not made it to the finals, the match was still going to be played in Columbus. In many sports, the host site is picked long before the season is played (currently, volleyball sites have been picked through 2022), so it has a very good chance of being a "neutral" site unless the home team happens to be good. I like @palvord's word - serendipitous.

Does NCAA golf work the same way? I'm not sure, but I would guess it does.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I don't have a problem with this. It's not as if they got the advantage as of this year for being so good, it was pre selected. Not much different than Minnesota nearly playing the super bowl at home or the World Series or Anything. I understand the argument that they know ever break and read and strategy but still have to hit shots and play well. Unless you pick courses that no one gets to play, this could always be an issue

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

They played there in 2014 and Augusta won it that year. How many times has the home team not won it on their home course. Let not forget OSU was one of the best teams all year. They beat #2 ranked team in the quarterfinals

Bama won it 2014. It was part of their back to back titles. I think it was played at Prarie dunes in Kansas.

OSU is a very deserving champion and I'm not trying to take anything away from them but this is something that really needs to be changed. And yes, they were probably the best team in the country this year. At least for the majority of the season.

Edit: I went back and looked and I believe you meant 2011 when Reed was at Aug st. 

I also noticed that OK st has hosted 3 times in the last 15 years. Once every 5 years is a lot. 

Scripted? So all of the other players from other teams decided to throw all of their matches? Cmon dude

To clarify, I'm certainly not saying it was scripted lol

I just don't think schools should host it is all. 

When was the decision made to play at OSU? If the Vikings beat the Eagles in the NFC Championship game the Super Bowl is in Minnesota. The decision where to play the SB is made Year's in advance. If that is the case here whatcha gonna do?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

The sites are chosen a year or so in advance. Yes some neutral sites can and probably should be used for the National championships. Why not use pebble beach, Harbortown, or a myriad of different locations for this event. Why are they using anyone's home course for a the national championships. Why not pick a venue and keep it there. They don't play Basketball championships at someone's home court, they don't play football championships at someone home field, they play those at major sports venues. Find a great course in a great location and have it there every year.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I am an Aggie fan and OSU beat them in the first round.

I, unfortunately, have been home all week and watched most of this once it got to the team match play. At first I thought it was unfair, and admit OSU had an advantage. But it's not like Bama had never seen the course. They played 4 rounds of individual stroke play BEFORE the team match play.

OSU have been number 1 all year long and they played like they were number 1.

Yes, it would be nice if it was a neutral site, but those Cowboys made some golf shots. And they were expected to win and preformed under the pressure to win.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Hosting does not equate winning. Since 1939, only one other time has the host team won (2016 Oregon).

While it hasn't happened a ton, the host team has won 7 times since 1939.

I wonder how many times the team that hosts the national championship have made it through regionals. And how they collectively fared when they got back home. It would be interesting numbers to see. 

As a resident Okie I'll say Karsten is a supreme course, high school state is held there pretty much every year. It is a cool experience and great advertising for Oklahoma golf. Big 12 with back-to-back titles . While it certainly didn't hurt OSU to be at their home course I think it's one of the cool things about college athletics to see your school do well and have an opportunity to cheer them on. Pebble and HarborTown get PGA Tour play the NCAA can showcase other courses in other areas by hosting their championships at less high profile places. Honestly I think it's good for golf! Idk, I didn't mind it and I'm an OU fan that says a lot!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I wonder how many times the team that hosts the national championship have made it through regionals. And how they collectively fared when they got back home. It would be interesting numbers to see. 

I must have missed the other times that the host team won.  Thanks for the updated stats. 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'm not sure you can count all the way back to 1939. This is a different format and only goes back to 2009. That means that only Oregon has won on their home turf.

OSU played on their home turf in 2011 and were defeated in the Semi's. So while they had the advantage this week, the bottom line is they stepped up and made the shots.

Bama won it 2014. It was part of their back to back titles. I think it was played at Prarie dunes in Kansas.

OSU is a very deserving champion and I'm not trying to take anything away from them but this is something that really needs to be changed. And yes, they were probably the best team in the country this year. At least for the majority of the season.

Edit: I went back and looked and I believe you meant 2011 when Reed was at Aug st.

I also noticed that OK st has hosted 3 times in the last 15 years. Once every 5 years is a lot.

Yes I meant 2011. As was mentioned in the thread earlier it comes down to who has resources/money to host it. Under the current format teams have to go out and play golf and excite shots to get into the field of 15 in stroke play final round and then do it again to get into the top 8 for match play and then do it again 3 times in days. Look at some of the schools that didn't get top 15 or top 8 this year and those who did as well as how a school like Texas a@m were 8 seed in match play yet #2 seed entering the week. While the home team may have an advantage it's still golf and the players have to execute

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I knew I was missing something.

Our conspiracy theory of the week!

Just spit out my beer...

IMG_5748.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

And to add a serious comment as well...

NE regionals were hosted by my team my Senior year. We were weak and wouldn't have won but some players clearly struggled relative to what we knew most of them could shoot.

Clearly an advantage but I can understand why schools and the NCAA handle it this way.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The sites are chosen a year or so in advance. Yes some neutral sites can and probably should be used for the National championships. Why not use pebble beach, Harbortown, or a myriad of different locations for this event. Why are they using anyone's home course for a the national championships. Why not pick a venue and keep it there. They don't play Basketball championships at someone's home court, they don't play football championships at someone home field, they play those at major sports venues. Find a great course in a great location and have it there every year.

Actually they do - maybe not on campus but football championships and basketball championships have been near home games for schools.

Again - it's about the money -

Innisbrook has hosted but not Copperhead - the Island Course

That one is a trip

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nobody please act like I am trying to take anything from OSU or Oregon when each won at home. Because both teams were deserving of the title. And both had to play well to take home the NC! 
Hell its hard to make it through regionals!

I just believe that this is something that should evolve and improve going forward so that teams do not get an unfair advantage. Do advantages happen in some situations? Of course! But lets try to make it somewhat of an equal playing field when playing for the National Championship. 

I'm not sure you can count all the way back to 1939. This is a different format and only goes back to 2009. That means that only Oregon has won on their home turf.

OSU played on their home turf in 2011 and were defeated in the Semi's. So while they had the advantage this week, the bottom line is they stepped up and made the shots.

Ok let's talk about purely the era of the new format! (09-18). 

There have been 5 times when the team that hosted the tournament made it through regionals to the NC. Of those 5 teams, all 5 qualified for match play through their play in stroke play.

Only 1 team lost in the of the quarterfinals and it was USF (3 seed in regionals and finished 6th in stroke play).

2 teams lost in the semi finals and they were both to the eventual National Champions. OSU to Augusta in 2011 and Georgia tech to Bama in 2013.

Both teams that made the finals, ended up winning. So 40% of teams that made it to a NC tourney that they hosted, ended up winning. Oregon and OSU.

Possibly the most telling thing, is that no team who has hosted has ever finished worse than 6th in the stroke play part of the NC. Basically, none came close to missing the match play portion.

And 4 out of the 5 either won the NC or lost to the team that did.

There are definitely some advantages to playing at home.

There's no doubt playing at “home” helped, but by the time they got to the Final, all of those golfers from Bama, Duke, Auburn, etc, had played that course MANY times. It's highly unlikely that it was the very first time they played there as sometimes coaches take their teams during other parts of the year to play those courses. Ok, so OSU was at home, but we all know, just because we play our “home course” a ton, it doesn't guarantee a low score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Ok let's talk about purely the era of the new format! (09-18). 

There have been 5 times when the team that hosted the tournament made it through regionals to the NC. Of those 5 teams, all 5 qualified for match play through their play in stroke play.

Only 1 team lost in the of the quarterfinals and it was USF (3 seed in regionals and finished 6th in stroke play).

2 teams lost in the semi finals and they were both to the eventual National Champions. OSU to Augusta in 2011 and Georgia tech to Bama in 2013.

Both teams that made the finals, ended up winning. So 40% of teams that made it to a NC tourney that they hosted, ended up winning. Oregon and OSU.

Possibly the most telling thing, is that no team who has hosted has ever finished worse than 6th in the stroke play part of the NC. Basically, none came close to missing the match play portion.

And 4 out of the 5 either won the NC or lost to the team that did.

There are definitely some advantages to playing at home.

Agreed! I'm not saying there is no advantage. Just that apparently that alone is not enough to ensure the National Championship.

There's no doubt playing at “home” helped, but by the time they got to the Final, all of those golfers from Bama, Duke, Auburn, etc, had played that course MANY times. It's highly unlikely that it was the very first time they played there as sometimes coaches take their teams during other parts of the year to play those courses. Ok, so OSU was at home, but we all know, just because we play our “home course” a ton, it doesn't guarantee a low score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly. If home course advantage is part of it here then wouldn't that apply to Jason Day at the memorial which is his home course yet doesn't play well during the event, Webb Simpson and several others at sea island.

This is no different from the NCAA tournament where you have teams playing minimal distances from home depending on their seeding. My question would be how long ago was the site picked, if it was a couple years in advance than I think there is no argument here, because when they pick the site they can't know who will be in the tournament that year

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Archived