Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Home Field Advantage for NCAA Championship?

Comemonday

Actually they do - maybe not on campus but football championships and basketball championships have been near home games for schools.

Again - it's about the money -

Innisbrook has hosted but not Copperhead - the Island Course

That one is a trip

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The final four is held at higher end venues, first and second round games may be held close to the top schools, but I beleive they did that to try to help save on traveling costs to send multiple teams across country.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The final four is held at higher end venues, first and second round games may be held close to the top schools, but I beleive they did that to try to help save on traveling costs to send multiple teams across country.

They do it to have better TV ratings and ticket sales

It is about money though. If they choose the site a year or 2 ago, then it is what it is, and I think that is the case. All I know is that OSU team destroyed Alabama. I don't care what course that one kid was playing, to shoot -7 on the front 9 is playing extremely good. Alabama looked a little slow out of the gate and struggled a bit, one kid was 2 down and then missed a 3 footer and handed the guy a 3 up lead. Alabama wasn't as sharp as they were the previous match. OSU was the best in the country all season, and they proved it

I'll leave my opinion out of it for the start since I may be (obviously) a little bias... I've been seeing a lot of people speaking out against the NCAA championship being hosted by home courses of college teams and how that gives them an unfair advantage. What is your opinion on it? I know several journalists and some tour pros (Snedeker) came out against it after yesterday's OSU victory. 

My question would be how long ago was the site picked, if it was a couple years in advance than I think there is no argument here, because when they pick the site they can't know who will be in the tournament that year

It was a couple of years ago at least because the coach used this fact in the recruiting of some of the players. They made reference to it in the post round interviews.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It was a couple of years ago at least because the coach used this fact in the recruiting of some of the players. They made reference to it in the post round interviews.

Yet another reason why schools shouldn't be able to host the National Championship.

Smh... This has nothing or very little to do with the course guys.

Playing at home is an advantage in sports. Period. Especially college sports.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Them knowing the course better is a slight advantage but not overwhelming. It is what it is.

Nobody is saying that Alabama would have beaten OSU on any other course. OSU was the best team in the country for the majority of the year.

But sleeping in your own bed and having your normal routines, family/friends around are huge. Hell, there were reportedly 5k ppl there for the title match. What % do yall think showed up to see OSU? 95%? 96%? It makes a difference.

Final Four is held at football stadiums, so no home "court" advantage.

Exactly. No home team to squash any advantage.

Yall realize that in pro sports home teams average 10% higher win percentages in the postseason right?

That average home win % actually goes up in college.

So a team gets an extra 10%+ chance to win just by playing at home and nobody thinks it helps? Come on.

This venue was all predetermined years ago.Was just OU's year.But honestly, who cares? TV Ratings were sub par as usual for an event like this. The majority never even knew about this event . Nor would they even know where it was played or who won. A tough event to promote. Very niche oriented

This venue was all predetermined years ago.Was just OU's year.But honestly, who cares? TV Ratings were sub par as usual for an event like this. The majority never even knew about this event . Nor would they even know where it was played or who won. A tough event to promote. Very niche oriented

Spoken like someone who never competed for a title. Or played competitively.

You think it doesn't matter to those kids? A national championship means a lot to some. Just because you don't care doesn't mean they don't. Or someone doesn't.

Edit: after reading that, it came off offensive and I didn't mean it to be. I just meant it seems that that you didn't play competitively. Which is also prolly offensive but it's late and I give up.

(Look at my avatar and read this with a grain of salt)

Just some thoughts from someone here in Stillwater who went to every day of the women's and men's tournament.

Obviously, home field didn't help the OSU women's team since they didn't qualify as a team, just one individual qualified and she didn't finish in the top 10.

For the men's, I hear both sides of the argument and there are valid points to each. Hosting it at a college course will, of course, bring more college sports feel to it with the fan turnout, especially in this year's case with the top-ranked team hosting. The advantage in a home course is mainly held with the greens, even more so at a course like Karsten. OSU came in as the #1 seed nationally, and rightfully so. With them being the #1 seed, it is hard to use this year as an example since they had been so dominant this year. If OSU had been an outside the top 10-15 team, and came in and won on their home course then we can talk more about an "unfair" advantage. 

I think the main takeaway I had was the need to change the format of the match play. Instead of letting stroke play the few days before determining the rankings for match play, they should reseed based on national rank. OSU (#1) faced A&M(#2) in the quarterfinals which came down to playoff holes and OSU barely made it to the semis. After that, it was smooth sailing for them.

But of course, I went to OSU, still live in Stillwater, and am a huge OSU fan so I enjoyed the atmosphere at the national championships. I do think a neutral has its pros and could be more beneficial. Maybe A&M would've beat us on a neutral site with how close that match was.

Either way, I am looking forward to cashing in my complimentary 2 rounds of golf at Karsten Creek that I received for volunteering, where I hope to lose no more than 10 balls per round...  

(Look at my avatar and read this with a grain of salt)

Just some thoughts from someone here in Stillwater who went to every day of the women's and men's tournament.

Obviously, home field didn't help the OSU women's team since they didn't qualify as a team, just one individual qualified and she didn't finish in the top 10.

For the men's, I hear both sides of the argument and there are valid points to each. Hosting it at a college course will, of course, bring more college sports feel to it with the fan turnout, especially in this year's case with the top-ranked team hosting. The advantage in a home course is mainly held with the greens, even more so at a course like Karsten. OSU came in as the #1 seed nationally, and rightfully so. With them being the #1 seed, it is hard to use this year as an example since they had been so dominant this year. If OSU had been an outside the top 10-15 team, and came in and won on their home course then we can talk more about an "unfair" advantage.

I think the main takeaway I had was the need to change the format of the match play. Instead of letting stroke play the few days before determining the rankings for match play, they should reseed based on national rank. OSU (#1) faced A&M(#2) in the quarterfinals which came down to playoff holes and OSU barely made it to the semis. After that, it was smooth sailing for them.

But of course, I went to OSU, still live in Stillwater, and am a huge OSU fan so I enjoyed the atmosphere at the national championships. I do think a neutral has its pros and could be more beneficial. Maybe A&M would've beat us on a neutral site with how close that match was.

Either way, I am looking forward to cashing in my complimentary 2 rounds of golf at Karsten Creek that I received for volunteering, where I hope to lose no more than 10 balls per round...

Nice post. I agree with most of it and especially with the way the seeding is done. I agree that the actual seed of the team should be used and not how they finished in the stroke play portion

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Final Four is held at football stadiums, so no home "court" advantage.

I'm sorry but I've been to some called neutral site games in College hoops and football. They are anything but neutral.

I will grant that course knowledge in golf is a huge advantage but to think that an SEC team playing for a National Championship in Tampa doesn't have a home field advantage or better Arizona playing to reach the final four in Phoenix? College Hoops is crazy loud - those are 20 year old kids - it matters.

I think I'm out on this - it's the NCAA - it's about the money - they are going to hold their events at the place and in ways that will generate the greatest income in major sports or cost the least while making them look good in minor sports.

The NCAA makes me sick for the most part and I was once a student athlete under their care.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm sorry but I've been to some called neutral site games in College hoops and football. They are anything but neutral.

I will grant that course knowledge in golf is a huge advantage but to think that an SEC team playing for a National Championship in Tampa doesn't have a home field advantage or better Arizona playing to reach the final four in Phoenix? College Hoops is crazy loud - those are 20 year old kids - it matters.

I think I'm out on this - it's the NCAA - it's about the money - they are going to hold their events at the place and in ways that will generate the greatest income in major sports or cost the least while making them look good in minor sports.

The NCAA makes me sick for the most part and I was once a student athlete under their care.

I agree, there's always going to be some type of advantage for a team in college. I think we are discussing what if Alabama football played a national championship game at their home stadium. Essentially that's what happens in NCAA Golf.

I agree, there's always going to be some type of advantage for a team in college. I think we are discussing what if Alabama football played a national championship game at their home stadium. Essentially that's what happens in NCAA Golf.

And I certainly agree that it's a far greater advantage to play on your home golf course than your home football field.

It's the NCAA though - Not Concerned About Anyone (but the cash)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If the NCAA cared about anything but cash, the mighty WCHA would still be real.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

It's a Bama entitlement mentality. They could've picked a course in Tuscaloosa and Oklahoma State wasn't losing. They've been the best team in college golf all year and anyone that's watching college Golf knows it. They bid on the tournament. The Karsten Course is an excellent venue is why it was selected and it's tough no matter how many times you've played it. Those complaining are Bammer

Fans and they always try to find a way that a team cheated if they lose. The new Bammer fans that couldn't tell you who coached at the school before Nick Saban have ruined the brand

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It's a Bama entitlement mentality. They could've picked a course in Tuscaloosa and Oklahoma State wasn't losing. They've been the best team in college golf all year and anyone that's watching college Golf knows it. They bid on the tournament. The Karsten Course is an excellent venue is why it was selected and it's tough no matter how many times you've played it. Those complaining are Bammer

Fans and they always try to find a way that a team cheated if they lose. The new Bammer fans that couldn't tell you who coached at the school before Nick Saban have ruined the brand

Didn't they smile from Bear Bryant directly to Saban?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

OSU just lapped the field this year, through the individual rounds they finished +1 in the team, then in the finals, just destroyed Bama, I don't think Bama had a chance no matter where they played, OSU was just better. Home course may have helped some, but 3 matches weren't even close and the other 2 matches were 2 up leads at the time. That's called a whoopin' and it was well deserved they played better.

Yea... You aren't biased at all mr Georgia fan.

I had the same argument in 16 BEFORE and again after Oregon won at home.

And I cannot argue that OSU wasn't the best team in the country this year. Bc they were. But please don't act like even the best can't lose on any given day. Remember this same unbeatable OSU team didn't win their own conference.

Yet another team to do that and win the NC this year ;)

This is something that needs to change going forward.

There is nothing to be done about the past.

Its not like they don't go to nuetral sites either. They've gone to 4 or so in the last 10 years. That should be the way it's done.

You realize they bid on these way in advance right? You mean to tell me you honestly believe they anticipated being the #1 seed in the country and making it to the finals just because it was at the Karsten course? Bama got beat. It's kind of sad to see all the whining because they got throttled

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

You realize they bid on these way in advance right? You mean to tell me you honestly believe they anticipated being the #1 seed in the country and making it to the finals just because it was at the Karsten course? Bama got beat. It's kind of sad to see all the whining because they got throttled

Please show me 1 spot where I said OSU didn't deserve it or was whining about Bama should've won! I don't believe you actually read any of the thread other than maybe the first post.

I'm 100% aware how early the selection was. It doesn't mean playing at home makes it fair!

Re-read the thread and get back to us bud. If you think playing at home is fair to everyone, then how about we play the NC at Bryant Denny every few years.

Anyone suggesting that being fair, has lost their minds.

Complaining about Home course advantage is whining and comical. Had Minnesota won the NFC championship last year, they'd have been celebrated as the first team to ever play a Home game in the Super Bowl. In the Olympics, lots of times (unless it's in America), the host country doesn't ever mop up, why? Why don't guys on the PGA Tour always win at courses they're a member at? Yes, it's whining complaining about it. What would you suggest? If the home team qualifies that they change venues? College golf championships don't make any money at all, so major venues aren't hosting them. Large, top 100 private/public clubs aren't lining up to throw tournaments at them either. They don't want their courses beat up for no money. That's why they have them at home courses and bid on it.

In The Bag

Complaining about Home course advantage is whining and comical. Had Minnesota won the NFC championship last year, they'd have been celebrated as the first team to ever play a Home game in the Super Bowl. In the Olympics, lots of times (unless it's in America), the host country doesn't ever mop up, why? Why don't guys on the PGA Tour always win at courses they're a member at? Yes, it's whining complaining about it. What would you suggest? If the home team qualifies that they change venues? College golf championships don't make any money at all, so major venues aren't hosting them. Large, top 100 private/public clubs aren't lining up to throw tournaments at them either. They don't want their courses beat up for no money. That's why they have them at home courses and bid on it.

Are you new to college golf or do you just not pay attention? You do realize that they have played plenty of NCs at neutral sites right? Including top 100 private clubs.

"Major venues aren't hosting them." Really? I remember them playing at Riviera, Inverness and Prarie Dunes, just in recent years.

It's a very simple fix. Don't let schools host national championships. It's not that hard. Please don't act like someone hosting isn't an advantage either. You know that it is. 

I went back to 1970, it was pointless to go further. Exactly 2 times has a team won a championship at their Home course. Why is the host team not winning championships more frequently. That's 48 years. 4% of the tournaments have been won by the host, doing the math. I suspect if you go back further, that number drops more. I did scroll briefly. The last time before Oregon that a host team won was 1961... It's a laughable complaint. But it's duly noted... Moving on

In The Bag

I went back to 1970, it was pointless to go further. Exactly 2 times has a team won a championship at their Home course. Why is the host team not winning championships more frequently. That's 48 years. 4% of the tournaments have been won by the host, doing the math. I suspect if you go back further, that number drops more. I did scroll briefly. The last time before Oregon that a host team won was 1961... It's a laughable complaint. But it's duly noted... Moving on

This has been covered. Please read the thread. You are also incorrect btw.

It has happened 5 times since 1970 and twice since the format change in 09. You could argue 6 times if you count UCLA winning it in 88 at a course in LA that isn't their "home club." But we won't count that one.

The reality is that the NCAA is challenged to find the 9 or 10 suitable venues willing to host NCAA regional or finals golf competitions.

Course closures to the public play or membership is involved, possibly modifying the course for the event (such as growing rough length-narrowing fairways, potential lost revenue for the course etc... Many well regarded private and public courses don't want to deal with these issues for an NCAA event.

If a private club like Karsten Creek offers the NCAA its course, meets or exceeds all the requirements of the NCAA, receives complements from the participating schools etc... then it is easy to understand why Karsten Creek may be chosen to host the event in subsequent years as well.

They've played many of them at private clubs or well known courses. Hell, one of the next D2 or D3 championships is at PGA National. They've also held them at Riv, Inverness, Grand National, Hazeltine, Innisbrooke and Poppy Hills among many others. It isn't that difficult to find a course that is willing. Some don't want to do it. But many others do. This is much simpler than hosting a pga tour event. There is nowhere near the parking required or the infrastructure needed.

First time since the match play format has the team ranked #1 won the title... Bama lost, get over it

In The Bag

Archived