Golfspy_CG2

Ping Forged Wedges and Irons

From the blog courtsey of Tony

First Look – PING Forged Tour Irons & GLIDE Forged Wedges

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-ping-forged-tour-irons-glide-forged-wedges/

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

I wonder: do they feel like they NEED to offer forged irons/wedges in order to stay competitive? Are they feeling pressure from other OEM's or do they have customers asking why they don't have anything forged?

Ping is nothing if not traditional ... hopefully they're not straying from that, but I do understand the need to remain aggressive in this market.

Will be curious how these compare to their cast offerings.

I was trying like hell to post the hyperventilating Sheldon Cooper meme before you posted, saying "A live look at Shankster" but ran into technical difficulty.
  • Like 4

Very cool. I love how they mention PING's reliable product cycles. The integrity they carry with their business practices is one big reason their clubs are in my bag.

I would put their engineering / R&D against anyone and would expect these to be top notch.

Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 1

I wonder: do they feel like they NEED to offer forged irons/wedges in order to stay competitive? Are they feeling pressure from other OEM's or do they have customers asking why they don't have anything forged?

Ping is nothing if not traditional ... hopefully they're not straying from that, but I do understand the need to remain aggressive in this market.

Will be curious how these compare to their cast offerings.

Every time someone puts PING in a category with players blades (718mb / MP18 / 730 / Callaway Forged MB) the first thing we always hear is yeah, well they're cast, they aren't true blades. This is their way of turning the tables on the skeptics.

If these are half as good as they look, they'll turn some opinions as well as heads.

• Like 2

I was trying like hell to post the hyperventilating Sheldon Cooper meme before you posted, saying "A live look at Shankster" but ran into technical difficulty.

If anyone finds my meme offensive I will gladly remove it. But that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that beautiful club. Plus his glasses match the clubs.
  • Like 1

I guess that means all that talk about castings not being inferior they did all those years was a lie?

Forged sells...

oh wow...didn't take long for this to diverge into a forged vs. cast debate.  :lol:

I thought this was settled long ago.... HELP @GolfSpy_X !!

• Like 1

I will definitely be following this very closely, especially since I'm looking to get into some new/better wedges soon. I've read & heard a bit about PING's one and only forged irons (Ansers I believe) in the past that were apparently very expensive to make & market and ultimately didn't sell very well at the time. I understand that PING stated not long after they stopped making those that the forging process was simply too expensive. Perhaps that has changed, but I suspect this time around this may be more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" thing...I hope I'm wrong.

I think everybody is going to be asking the same thing... Do they really need to go forged? They have done such an amazing job with cast clubs. I have hit every PING iron over the last 10 years and their S series always has felt so pure. Maybe they feel like they are missing a piece of the market? They did do the Anser Forged Irons a few years back and those were a hit

• Like 1

I love the iBlades, but make them FORGED?! The feel was the worst part about them, so this could be unreal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Very exciting to see. I love the simple look that ping has been going for in their irons recently. Makes them very classic and smart looking!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Forged is nothing more than a marketing tool now. Companies have the ability to make cast clubs that sound/feel like a forged iron. Ping iblade is a prime example.

• Like 2

Forged is nothing more than a marketing tool now. Companies have the ability to make cast clubs that sound/feel like a forged iron. Ping iblade is a prime example.

100% I bet they could just stamp forged on the current iBlade and no one would even know the difference.

• Like 1

I'm a big ping guy, but these are pretty boring looking. Doesn't really look like they designed any tech into these at all. I get that they are "tour' irons, but even the pros look for tech advantages. I do like that they are jumping back into the forged game though, I think they gave up on the forged anser line too soon and should have evolved it. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I like the no nonsense over use of carbon fiber or graphics. Just the brand name and a number on the sole.

100% I bet they could just stamp forged on the current iBlade and no one would even know the difference.

Yup. And a lot of irons today that are marketed as forged are only face forged
  • Like 1

If I were a shoe salesman and I said “these are the softest running shoes, they're grain flow foam” you would automatically think, wow these must be soft. Now if I was a competitor shoe maker and said my “non grain flow foam is soft” you'd probably automatically think they'd be harder.

And don't forget feel is sound. Sound can be engineered. Ping is incredible at that

• Like 4