Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

hckymeyer

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok spies sorry it took so long to post my Stage 2 but it's up now...I hope it is a worthy read!!!! Thanks again to MGS for this opportunity....loved it!!!!

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Ok spies sorry it took so long to post my Stage 2 but it's up now...I hope it is a worthy read!!!! Thanks again to MGS for this opportunity....loved it!!!!

That's how stage 2's are done Ladies and Gentlemen!!

Great use of data and charts to support what you were seeing and feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

For some odd reason that I can't seem to figure out it put four images at the end of the post I checked it twice and don't see them in that position in the full editor...hopefully I can get some assistance.  Thanks in advance.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

Great reviews guys. Thanks for the honest and accurate reviews. And GG love all of the data.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

GG I enjoyed seeing that we had some similar distances with the clubs. Even though you have the data and I just had a range finder. It was a very nice read and I'm glad I'm not the only one putting the glides on the shelf

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Absolutely...I was skeptical at first I won't lie but the data is the data and the feel is remarkable...I want that feel in my irons too...lol. I went out today again and shot 79 so these wedges flat out work.

Bryson DeChambeau

Thanks Rob.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bryson DeChambeau

Great effort fellas. I really enjoyed all of your reviews on the wedges and it confirms to me that I'll be sticking with tried and true when I upgrade my SCORs.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

@KCLeo12 said...

"The sound is a firmer clicky sound than what I am used too. The feel is also slightly hard off the face."

That's a very interesting comment - I'd tried an earlier version of their wedges, through their demo program, and also had the same reaction. Have been playing softer metal, I guess?, forged wedges and just prefer that softer feel.

(and fwiw I'm as close to being a scratch golfer as I am to bring an astronaut!)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Great stage two's guys, looks like you will all be gaming these from now on.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I may have to try these out. As much I love the V sole on my irons these might just be the ticket. I wish I could find some wedges I really love.v]

You will love them, for sure!  But, if not, you can return them - Hogan has the 14 day demo deal where they will take it back if you are not pleased with them... but you will be!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Thanks Rob, both for the opportunity and the feedback!  Lets get out there soon!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

@ddryan - nice review! Could you comment on the sole? Is it identical to the TK or is it different particularly in its turf interaction.

When I first got my SCORs it took me some time to adjust to that V-sole - I'm glad that I stuck with it because I have no intention to ever go back.

One less thing that I have to think about.

Hi Rev,

Sorry for the delay, I have been out of the country and just now catching up on important things like golf!  The Vsole on the Equalizer is slightly wider (about 1/16 inch) throughout the spine of the V, giving a bit more forgiveness (at least that is how I see it)- It provides a bit more room for error without being penal and digging in or causing a chili - dip.  With the TK's I was somewhat reticent to open up the wedge and loft a lob for fear of catching it either thin or fat... The Equalizer gives a bit more room for error, and I have more confidence to pull off those shots when necessary- although I would prefer not to have to, if you know what i mean!!!

If you are ready for the switch, contact Hogan and ask to demo a couple of the wedges- trust me you will not be disappointed ,and at $100/stick that is pretty reasonable compared to some of the Titlists, Callaways or TaylorMade products available...

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

ddryan,  Love the pics, and graphs.  They really help explain and tell your story.  noticing the different lengths of shots between the old and new, are you concerned? 

KK, thanks for the kind words- It was really a pleasure doing this and the sticks are wonderful to boot!  As far as the distance goes, it is a function of knowing what to expect, and playing to that.  I have lost some distance since hitting 50, but am working out, lifting and strength training to try and gain some of that distance back.  As long as I know what to expect, and play to that, it should not be an issue.  Plus, the Vsole gives you additional options around the green, so the club becomes a more useful tool - short pitches, bump and runs, or high chips- they are very versatile and I like them much more than the TKs I used to play!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Played last week in a big tournament and the wedges performed great. The feel and consistency it fantastic. Love the way the sole interacts with the turf.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Played last week in a big tournament and the wedges performed great. The feel and consistency it fantastic. Love the way the sole interacts with the turf.

Sounds like your wedge game is on point. I too love the Equalizers but haven't been able to play in like two week...rain and family responsibilities...

Bryson DeChambeau

Conclusion

I have enjoyed testing these wedges out and they are my new gamers. They are softer than the glides in my opinion and they are very workable. I was asked to hit them off of some hard pan when testing and I hit them off of slate and no damage so they are durable. I had hit some shots on really hard turf and they have some scuffing and scratches but not many. If you like the feel of a forged iron give these a try. I have not ever hit Vokeys but I would take these over the glides and I loved to play the glides. With Hogan getting in with True Temper they should be on everyones radar. Russ I hope the question about forgiveness is answer and if anyone has any questions please ask.

Final Score: Overall score of 93 out of 100. The things that I gave deductions for were the grips not feeling as tacky as the pure grips I play and the lower trajectory because of the different shafts. I did not deduct any points because of the clubs themselves its mainly because I like to see a higher shot shape for my eye and I like to have a grip I can rely on. These wedges are great and I can rely on them even after such a short time having them in the bag.

Great job tommc23! 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

As most of you I am in the process of trying to qualify for the All Navy Golf Team, US Mid Am and VGA Championships so the on course performance was the most important factor for me. I need a wedge to do what I am expecting to do on every shot and never have a doubt. When doubt creeps in its very tough to hit a quality golf shot. These wedges did everything I ever wanted and I could never blame my shot on the wedge not performing. I did take some adjusting to the increased distance I was not getting but never did that cost me any shots on the course. I holed bunker shots, chip shots and even from the fairway. These are the most consistent wedges I have ever had in my bag.

Well done and good luck on your journey to the All Navy Golf Team, US Mid Am and VGA Championships !

Cleveland

Hogan Equalizer Wedge Review, Stage 2

The Hogan Equalizer wedges are everything that Mr. Hogan envisioned when he started his equipment company.  Highest quality standards, superior performance, and a driven, winning attitude is what these clubs are all about.  These Equalizer wedges are the real deal, and worth every bit of the $100 per club they are currently asking.  They are a great value for dollar, and are worth considerably more than the current asking price.any provides a fantastic product, great customer service, and dedicated to the game at the purest level.  Thank you, MGS, and thank you Hogan Golf Equipment Company, for giving me this unique opportunity and incredible experience!!!

Awesome job and congrats on you and your brother winning your flight in the tournament!

Cleveland

BEN HOGAN EQUALIZER WEDGE TEST - STAGE 2

Intro

Conclusion

The Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges live up to manufacturers claims of enhanced feel and control. These wedges flat out perform on the range and more importantly on the course, where your scoring counts. If you put in the time, these wedges will reward your dedication and hard work with low scores and one putts.

Final Score: 93

Wow you put a ton of work into your review and did an awesome job!   

Cleveland

Wow you put a ton of work into your review and did an awesome job!

Thanks Ole Gray

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bryson DeChambeau

Great stuff fellas!

Dig the tic tac toe charts, and your data GG.

I had a feeling KC would like them after he started dunking bunker shots.

DD, of course it was the wedges that lowered your handicap, it's always the wedges.

Tom shooting some of your beat rounds sounds like you've found a match!

Great stuff fellas!

Dig the tic tac toe charts, and your data GG.

I had a feeling KC would like them after he started dunking bunker shots.

DD, of course it was the wedges that lowered your handicap, it's always the wedges.

Tom shooting some of your beat rounds sounds like you've found a match!

Shankster I did it's nice having all forged clubs in the bag. I love the feel of them and I was hesitant as to if I would like them or not since I was unable to hit them before hand.

Great job tommc23!

Thanks OG

My dog loves to try to catch flop shots when I practice them. She helps me focus on landing the ball smoother and softer, dont wanna hurt or break her teeth when she tries to catch a ball. I like how easily I can get the ball elevated from the front foot or back foot.20180729_185322_1.gif

My dog loves to try to catch flop shots when I practice them. She helps me focus on landing the ball smoother and softer, dont wanna hurt or break her teeth when she tries to catch a ball. I like how easily I can get the ball elevated from the front foot or back foot.attachicon.gif20180729_185322_1.gif

Ha! My guys won't give the ball back, and then they'll chew the cover off!

Maybe look for "Almost Golf" balls for practice in the yard - they have a smaller, solid core and a slightly softer than normal outer casing; they're also lighter so more dog-friendly and still good for practice.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Just got through all the reviews. Great job all!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder