Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

hckymeyer

All Hogan gear is traditionally well made, but if you like Equalizers, you like The Scor sole concept.

Mizuno and Titleist still offer the most comprehensive loft / bounce combo choices.

The SM7s are a little prettier and the S18s are a little more forgiving.

It's hard to try the Equalizer because they're marketed directly and don't appear in pro shops. The price is very attractive, relatively speaking, so if you hit the Scor sole well, Equalizers are probably the smart way to go.  They're very pretty too.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey KCLeo, what is the significance of the "Deep Sauce" hat?

Also, have you considered trying a side by side test between the Equalizers and their predecessor Tkt Hogan wedges? got my answer in the second review

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great review, ddryan,  The comparison with the Tk's was what I wanted to see.  I have the Ptx irons with Tk wedges in my closet, waiting for a return to my bag.   Have to wait until after September as I am midway thru the Cobra Connect Challenge.

Is there a weighting difference between the Equalizer and Tk heads?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great review, ddryan,  The comparison with the Tk's was what I wanted to see.  I have the Ptx irons with Tk wedges in my closet, waiting for a return to my bag.   Have to wait until after September as I am midway thru the Cobra Connect Challenge.

Is there a weighting difference between the Equalizer and Tk heads?

I didn't put them on a club weight device (thingy is the technical term, I believe) but the Equalizers feel ever so slightly heavier- but it is a very solid heavy and not klunky type heavy... if that makes sense. :rolleyes:

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Ha! My guys won't give the ball back, and then they'll chew the cover off!

Maybe look for "Almost Golf" balls for practice in the yard - they have a smaller, solid core and a slightly softer than normal outer casing; they're also lighter so more dog-friendly and still good for practice.

I will have to look into that. Right now I just use balls I found on the course which I won't use during the round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hey KCLeo, what is the significance of the "Deep Sauce" hat?

Also, have you considered trying a side by side test between the Equalizers and their predecessor Tkt Hogan wedges? got my answer in the second review

DeepSauce is just a company started by a local pro.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

They are really good out of the bunkers. I have had to change how I hit bunker shots because the get through the sand so well.

Snell MTB-X

They are really good out of the bunkers. I have had to change how I hit bunker shots because the get through the sand so well.

Absolutely agree with this initially I used the 60 degree but the results were not great left some in the bunker these things just really get through there. Switched to the 56 for all bunker shots and got it working better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Great grouping from about 25 yards with my Equalizer 60* wedge during practice today.

IMG_4147.JPG

Snell MTB-X

Houston we have a problem. I played 9 today and every wedge shot came up short every single one I don't know what's going on.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

Hmm bad ball striking day??? Hitting off center may be a cause?

I don't know honestly could be off center hits not sure just played 9 shot 40 but literally hit many 3 woods into short par 4s and gap wedge in to greens came up short every time its weird

Bryson DeChambeau

Windy? Grass taller/shorter than normal? Humid? Dry?

Lots of factors it could be.

3 mph wind not much really it was odd I have been really on with the wedges up till now

Bryson DeChambeau

It's probably bad ball striking that's all I can think of those Pings probably masked alot of that

Bryson DeChambeau

This is very exciting to be able to review an iconic brand and their new entry into to world of wedges. First I want to thank MGS and Ben Hogan for giving us all this opportunity.

Kcleo - great write up. interesting to read about your affinity to this brand. thanks for the pics. They are beautiful clubs. Actually,that's an understatement. I shall now continue reading on. thanks again

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

They're Here!!! A big THANK YOU to MGS, and to the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company for giving me the opportunity to test this equipment- I am beyond excited, and I hope to provide some insight, some feedback, and an impartial evaluation of the Equalizer Wedges.

My Hogan Equalizer wedges arrived Wednesday May 16th – actually the 15th, but I did not get home until after 10 pm, and needed to be at work this morning at 0600, so I waited until after dinner this evening to

ddryan,that is one hell of a write up. enjoyed it immensely

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

First, I want to send out a big thank you to My Golf Spy and Ben Hogan Golf for allowing me to test these beautiful golf clubs. I look forward to providing the MGS community with an honest and thorough test. I am an Electronics Technician in the US Navy, been enlisted for just shy of 17 years. I am married and have 6 wonderfully wild children ages 11, 7, 6, 4, and twin 2 year old boys.[/size]

attachicon.gif 29684232_2115249918515649_9065940768027665296_n.jpg

attachicon.gif 29351845_2115259205181387_694002046806493332_o.jpg

The picture above is my awesome wife Lisa and I, then one with me and the kids on our road trip to Jacksonville. From left to right, Beckham, Briggs, Collins, Colston, Locklin, and Laide

great write up and very honest. The right reason why someone would want to test.

Dexterity:

It's probably bad ball striking that's all I can think of those Pings probably masked alot of that

Hmm I don't think they are any less forgiving than the pings. High on the face is what could be it for that much distance loss. Did you notice deeper divots or anything else than can help us help you.

Hmm I don't think they are any less forgiving than the pings. High on the face is what could be it for that much distance loss. Did you notice deeper divots or anything else than can help us help you.

Not really didn't notice any difference at all really it's probably just me i will hit the toptracer range tomorrow and check out the results

Bryson DeChambeau

So just a little update this past weekend in my 2 day tournament I was in 9 greenside bunkers. I got up and down 7 times and holes 1 for and eagle. The other was a tough downhill lie. These wedges are fantastic.

Snell MTB-X

So just a little update this past weekend in my 2 day tournament I was in 9 greenside bunkers. I got up and down 7 times and holes 1 for and eagle. The other was a tough downhill lie. These wedges are fantastic.

Great job bro I have been following on Instagram...very awesome stuff wish my wedge game was that strong

Bryson DeChambeau

This has been one of the more fun reviews that have been lucky enough to do. I have been a fan of the Hogan Brand for a very long time. I played the Hogan FTX irons for several years. I was saddened when the Hogan brand announced it was shutting down. When it reopened I was so happy. When the new line came out I was also lucky and got to test the Hogan VKTR hybrids which were the first hybrid I had ever hit that I had confidence in, aside from the whistle haha. If you have been around MGS and remember those reviews you should remember the whistle.

attachicon.gif IMG_3649.JPG

Let's start with some of the disappointing things for me that had me questioning the wedges before I even received them. The shaft choices were less than exciting for me. My previous wedges had Modus 130X/S shafts and when all I could get were 120X and 110S I was scrambling to get an extra shaft set just in case. Hogan has since addressed this issue and added Dynamic Gold Standard shafts as an option. I would really like to see a few more shaft options even if I had to pay a little more. The second thing I was concerned about were the fact there were not any grind options. I have been fitted by Mr. Vokey himself and he opened my eyes to the effects of grinds and bounce. Of course after I received the wedges and put them to work that concern vanished immediately.

attachicon.gif Image1531454180.790629.jpg

Looks 9/10

Easily one of the best looking wedges I have seen. The shape and detailing are beautiful. The only thing looks wise I would have liked to see was more grooves. They have 3 grooves less than the SM7's. It's not a performance issue but looking down and seeing a few more grooves made me feel more confident.

attachicon.gif Image1531454205.074968.jpg

Sound and Feel 9/10

The sound is a firmer clicky sound than what I am used too. The feel is also slightly hard off the face. Although as I continued to test them I no longer noticed that feeling as it felt normal. This also could have been because the initial shots I hit were with range balls. Once I used my gamer golf ball I didn't notice this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&feature=youtu.be&v=ncqMm6aK9vw&app=desktop

Range Performance 18/20

On the range I was able to get very consistent distance and trajectory. It was on the range I noticed a lower ball flight with the Equalizers compared to my RTX-3 gamers. I also seemed to get a little more distance due to the more penetrating flight. I worked hard on the range playing with ball flight. I also used a short game practice area to get a feel for these wedges.

On The Course 39/40

As most of you I am in the process of trying to qualify for the All Navy Golf Team, US Mid Am and VGA Championships so the on course performance was the most important factor for me. I need a wedge to do what I am expecting to do on every shot and never have a doubt. When doubt creeps in its very tough to hit a quality golf shot. These wedges did everything I ever wanted and I could never blame my shot on the wedge not performing. I did take some adjusting to the increased distance I was not getting but never did that cost me any shots on the course. I holed bunker shots, chip shots and even from the fairway. These are the most consistent wedges I have ever had in my bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rconNfOoU&feature=youtu.be

Bag them or Tag them 20/20

It took all of 3 practice sessions and 1 round before the Cleveland RTX-3 wedges got the boot. I hit them side by side on the course and range and they just didn't stand a chance. Once I got used to the feel and sound there was nothing that was going to keep these out of the bag. My friends and coach are all impressed with the improvement in my wedge game since making the change. My Coach even asked me when we were going to work on more than just my swing and dial in my short game. I told him lets go play after the first three holes he said “nevermind you're good, I have never seen you chip this well!” This weekend I used the Hogan Equalizer wedges to win the Veterans Golfers Assosiation California Championship at La Costa Champions course by 3 shots. My wedge game was definitely the reason for the win. Next week I start my All Navy Tryouts and these wedges will be in the bag because I have 100% confidence these are the best wedges I could have in my bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUndKO-NcI4&feature=youtu.be

Final Score 95/100 must have!!!

Flag hunting and a sand save!!! These things look sweet!! They replaced the RTX's , interesting. I may have to look into these

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Flag hunting and a sand save!!! These things look sweet!! They replaced the RTX's , interesting. I may have to look into these

You won't be disappointed by any means. Give them a shot with the demo program and then decide what you think after that. I like that they did that since you can't hit them in the store first.

This has been one of the more fun reviews that have been lucky enough to do. I have been a fan of the Hogan Brand for a very long time. I played the Hogan FTX irons for several years. I was saddened when the Hogan brand announced it was shutting down. When it reopened I was so happy. When the new line came out I was also lucky and got to test the Hogan VKTR hybrids which were the first hybrid I had ever hit that I had confidence in, aside from the whistle haha. If you have been around MGS and remember those reviews you should remember the whistle.

attachicon.gif IMG_3649.JPG

Let's start with some of the disappointing things for me that had me questioning the wedges before I even received them. The shaft choices were less than exciting for me. My previous wedges had Modus 130X/S shafts and when all I could get were 120X and 110S I was scrambling to get an extra shaft set just in case. Hogan has since addressed this issue and added Dynamic Gold Standard shafts as an option. I would really like to see a few more shaft options even if I had to pay a little more. The second thing I was concerned about were the fact there were not any grind options. I have been fitted by Mr. Vokey himself and he opened my eyes to the effects of grinds and bounce. Of course after I received the wedges and put them to work that concern vanished immediately.

attachicon.gif Image1531454180.790629.jpg

Looks 9/10

Easily one of the best looking wedges I have seen. The shape and detailing are beautiful. The only thing looks wise I would have liked to see was more grooves. They have 3 grooves less than the SM7's. It's not a performance issue but looking down and seeing a few more grooves made me feel more confident.

attachicon.gif Image1531454205.074968.jpg

Sound and Feel 9/10

The sound is a firmer clicky sound than what I am used too. The feel is also slightly hard off the face. Although as I continued to test them I no longer noticed that feeling as it felt normal. This also could have been because the initial shots I hit were with range balls. Once I used my gamer golf ball I didn't notice this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&feature=youtu.be&v=ncqMm6aK9vw&app=desktop

Range Performance 18/20

On the range I was able to get very consistent distance and trajectory. It was on the range I noticed a lower ball flight with the Equalizers compared to my RTX-3 gamers. I also seemed to get a little more distance due to the more penetrating flight. I worked hard on the range playing with ball flight. I also used a short game practice area to get a feel for these wedges.

On The Course 39/40

As most of you I am in the process of trying to qualify for the All Navy Golf Team, US Mid Am and VGA Championships so the on course performance was the most important factor for me. I need a wedge to do what I am expecting to do on every shot and never have a doubt. When doubt creeps in its very tough to hit a quality golf shot. These wedges did everything I ever wanted and I could never blame my shot on the wedge not performing. I did take some adjusting to the increased distance I was not getting but never did that cost me any shots on the course. I holed bunker shots, chip shots and even from the fairway. These are the most consistent wedges I have ever had in my bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rconNfOoU&feature=youtu.be

Bag them or Tag them 20/20

It took all of 3 practice sessions and 1 round before the Cleveland RTX-3 wedges got the boot. I hit them side by side on the course and range and they just didn't stand a chance. Once I got used to the feel and sound there was nothing that was going to keep these out of the bag. My friends and coach are all impressed with the improvement in my wedge game since making the change. My Coach even asked me when we were going to work on more than just my swing and dial in my short game. I told him lets go play after the first three holes he said “nevermind you're good, I have never seen you chip this well!” This weekend I used the Hogan Equalizer wedges to win the Veterans Golfers Assosiation California Championship at La Costa Champions course by 3 shots. My wedge game was definitely the reason for the win. Next week I start my All Navy Tryouts and these wedges will be in the bag because I have 100% confidence these are the best wedges I could have in my bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUndKO-NcI4&feature=youtu.be

Final Score 95/100 must have!!!

Nice job!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Hogan Equalizer Wedge Review, Stage 2

Ok, I have been itching to get these beauties out and put them side to side against my current wedges- also Hogan wedges, same loft and lie, same shafts- and see what happens.

First thing I did was to take them up to the range and put some full swings on them. All three (52°, 56°, and 60°) feel solid in my hands. I can feel where the ball hits the face and can see the scuff mark – very consistent in the center of the face.

attachicon.gif IMG_1498a.jpg

Unfortunately not so much with my TK wedges

attachicon.gif IMG_1497a.jpg

Not sure if this is a function of a lack of quality in my swing, or the more forgiving bounce the Equalizers have. I am going to guess it is a combination of the two!

After some time taking full swings, I move to our short game practice area. We are lucky enough to have an area next to the range with a green and two pins used for pitching, chipping and sand work.

attachicon.gif IMG_1490a.jpg

I decide the best way to compare the Equalizers with the TKs is to have a “chip-off” – hitting ten balls from the same distance, with the same club, and seeing what the result is, then clearing the green and repeating with the other club, and measuring the results.

First up I used my Hogan TK 57, from 40 yards, slightly up hill to the green. I hit ten balls, and the results are here. I hit two long of the green, one short of the green, and the rest in the pattern shown in the images below. Distance from the ball to the hole was, on average 30 feet.

attachicon.gif IMG_1499a.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_1500a.jpg

I cleared the green and attempted 10 more shots, this time with my new Hogan Equalizer 56 bent to 57. The results were significant- so much so that when I showed my wife the photos, even she said that group was much better, and much tighter.

attachicon.gif IMG_1503a.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_1505a.jpg

The average distance from the ball to the hole was about 12 feet, and actually closer than that, but the one short ball and one thin ball threw off the average – as you can see by the images, 8 of the 10 balls were within 10 feet, and several well within 5 feet. I was very happy with this result.

The Hogan Equalizers feel solid in your hand, solid in when you strike the ball, and the results are superb. I am going to be putting them in the bag this weekend and playing with the Equalizers instead of my TK's and seeing the results.

To compare results on the course, I have ShotScope V2, which tracks each shot, distance and club, and I will then be able to compare rounds with the Equalizers versus with the TK's. Proof will be in the game results, because there is no pressure on a driving range- a bit more when there is $$ at stake!!!

First round was on Saturday. I shot an 82, playing off 15. The wedges served me very well, positioning me for a total of four 1-putts (three of which were on the back 9, and a total of 15 putts on the back). I felt very comfortable and very confident about my wedge game, and although I had not practiced shorter chips (just off the green to 15-25 yards), the Equalizers proved very effective, getting very close to holing out on two of those chips.

On Monday I played again, and again shot another 82, again playing off 15. My Hogan Equalizer wedge play was even stronger on Monday, where I positioned myself to turn in a round of 31 putts, with a total of 10 1-putts. Unfortunately a few unforced errors and 3 3 putts resulted such a high score. Bottom line on both day's wedge play, it that far and away the Equalizers are outstanding clubs, and that they put my TK wedges to shame.

One particular hole I found myself pin high, but about 30 yards off the green to the left. There was a deep bunker with a high front lip protecting the green, and a very large Oak tree, with limbs and leaves hanging down, resulting in about a 30 foot window through which I could chip. The landing area beyond the lip of the green ran away from me, so I truly shortsided myself, and any hope of keeping this ball on the green was going to be a true test of the wedge. I visualized the shot, attempted to get the ball to land just beyond the lip of the green and hope that the ball would stay on the green. The chip worked perfectly, the Equalizer 56° putting a very nice spin on the ball which resulted in the ball rolling only slightly past the pin for a comeback 8 foot bogey putt. I took it and ran considering what might have been!

After downloading my past two rounds on ShotScope, an interesting pattern has emerged…

attachicon.gif Graph 1.png

On this graph, my Hogan TK wedges were identified as GW (the 53°) and LW (the 57°). My “up and down” percentage (meaning holing out in two shots or less) has jumped dramatically using my new Hogan Equalizer wedges – from about 25% with both of the TK wedges, to 50% with the 56° Equalizer and a remarkable 67% with the 52° Equalizer.

Further analysis using my Shotscope showing the past 5 rounds (with my Equalizer wedges) versus last year and my TK wedges. Past few rounds have all been in the low 80's (at or below my index) so that is a good thing. Much of those scores can resolve to my putting -

attachicon.gif Putting all.png

This graph shows my putting for all of 2018.

This graph shows a record of my putting over the past year, not terrible, but not great.

Since adding the Hogan Equalizers to the bag, looking at the last five rounds with ShotScope, I find the following:

attachicon.gif putting last 5.png

This graph shows my putting for the last 5 rounds. Note the significant increase in 1-putts (two putts staying stable) and significant reduction in three-putts.

I chalk this up to the proximity I am obtaining with my Hogan Equalizers!

Now, for the real test. Last week my brother and I played in our annual Member - Guest Tournament. The Equalizers were in, and we did well- eventually winning our flight and coming away with a bit of hardware!! Thanks in part to the Hogan Golf Equipment Company and the fantastic Equalizer Wedges!

attachicon.gif IMG_1541a.jpg

Now for the scoring:

Looks (9 out of 10)

I love the look of these wedges. They have a great top end, leading edge and they sit very well in my hand. I am used to a "blade like" look with my older TK wedges, and these are almost identical.

attachicon.gif IMG_1489a.jpg

The club at top is my Equalizer 52, the bottom my old TK 53. Love the look - exactly what I expect from a wedge. So, why did I subtract a point - the back edge of the club head there is a small notch (see circled area) where the back line meets the back edge of the club- it just looks a bit "unfinished" compared to the TK.

attachicon.gif IMG_1487a.jpg

Sound and Feel (8 out of 10)

These wedges are truly special- they are a player's club, with all the feedback and feeling that a better player expects, along with the forgiveness that a weekend golfer like me needs. They sound crisp, with a nice click at contact, feel sharp throughout the face, and you know instantly when you hit it well. Similarly, you know if you have miss-hit the ball, and generally know and understand why. For example, I like to hit down on the ball (to compress it against the ground and get better spin). I have had a few fluffy lies (summer rain has produced some fluffy rough) and when I hit it a bit high on the face I know it, and know that it will be short. Not the club's fault, but my poor execution. For me, this feedback is critical, as I learn and know what not to do next time. One of my challenges playing Pete Dye courses is his penchant for domed greens- These wedges hold the greens nicely, even if I miss-hit it a bit.

Range Performance (18 out of 20)

In addition to the short range chipping contest I described above, I worked full swings on the driving range, using Trackman technology. Unfortunately the Trackman data ended up getting corrupted when they sent it to me ( I wanted screenshots of distance, spin, etc) but bottom line is this - the Equalizer wedges were about 2-3 yards shorter than my TK wedges, and that may be a function of the newer grooves and more spin.

TK 53 degree - average 115 yards full swing

Equalizer 52 - average 112 yards full swing

grouping was tighter, according to Trackman, with the Equalizer

TK 57 degree - Average 95 yards full swing

Equalizer 56 - average 92 yards full swing

During both tests the Equalizers had a significantly higher trajectory than the TK wedges. In fact, on a number of occasions, I lost the Equalizer ball in flight as I don't usually hit wedge shots that high!

I will be heading back to the range with impact tape in the near future and will provide some additional insight on the wedges regarding center, toe and heel shots, as well as a few images.

The Equalizers are superb feeling, and you can easily work the ball to the left (I personally struggle working it back to the right consistently (I play right handed and favor a draw) but with some concentration I can produce a high cut, which is nice to have when needed.

On Course Performance (38 out of 40)

I think the on course performance speaks for itself. My putting continues to improve, and I chalk most of that up to my approach shots. I am getting the ball closer than I have in the past and Shotscope analysis indicates that my proximity to the hole using my Equalizers has increased significantly.

Since the Hogans have gone in the bag I have gone from a 14.7 index to a 10.9, and am trending to a 10.3. Granted, it is not all the wedges, but I have the confidence to swing them and trust that they will get me close to where I am aiming. This morning alone I shot a 79, playing the back in +2, and carding three birdies for the day.

Play it or Trade it (20 out of 20)

There is no doubt that the Equalizers are staying in my bag. That said, I need to provide a bit of clarification- I do not carry a 60 degree wedge. I carry four wedges as it is, (sand wedge, pitching wedge, and the Equalier 52 and 56). I don't have enough length to carry a club that I might use once or twice a round. I did hit the 60 degree wedge on the range, and compared it to an old beryllium Hogan 60 degree wedge in an old bag. The new Equalizer was much easier to hit, very consistent off the mat on the range, and I was able to get about 60 yards out of it. So, the 60 will not be in the bag, but I would gladly trade it for a 48 degree Equalizer!

The most difficult part of this wedge testing is the fact that I am a Hogan enthusiast, and love the quality, design and play-ability of their equipment. So, here is the rub- I now desperately want the Hogan Edge irons- I love the looks, and if the quality, workmanship, performance, feel and value of the Equalizer wedges are any indication, then I will love the Edge Irons... I just cant afford to buy them right now. I am strongly considering getting a few (5 iron, 8 iron and PW) thru the Hogan Demo program, but they are currently sold out-

Conclusion

Final score (96 out of 100)

First of all, I want to thank My Golf Spy (big shout out toGolfSpy Rob and GolfSpy Rick for their help and guidance) for providing the opportunity to do this test- it was a blast, and made me think about some things I have not thought of in some time.

Second I want to thank the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company for their willingness to support this testing- independent, non-biased, and by regular golfers, not paid players or spokespeople! -

The Hogan Equalizer wedges are everything that Mr. Hogan envisioned when he started his equipment company. Highest quality standards, superior performance, and a driven, winning attitude is what these clubs are all about. These Equalizer wedges are the real deal, and worth every bit of the $100 per club they are currently asking. They are a great value for dollar, and are worth considerably more than the current asking price.

The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company provides a fantastic product, great customer service, and dedicated to the game at the purest level. Thank you, MGS, and thank you Hogan Golf Equipment Company, for giving me this unique opportunity and incredible experience!!!

attachicon.gif IMG_1512a.jpg

Well done!

Rick

Left Hand, 

BEN HOGAN EQUALIZER WEDGE TEST - STAGE 2

Intro

My testing consisted of 10 range sessions, 7 rounds of golf, culminating with a final range test using TopTracer Range technology. I spent over 50 hours testing these wedges which includes 11 hours on the practice range, 4 hours of practice chipping green time, and 38 total on course hours. I hit 600 range balls which includes my final test range total of 200 golf balls.

Looks (8 out of 10 points)

The wedges have a very traditional look overall with a classic shape and is very similar to other wedges on the market. I deducted 2 points for the back of the club however is not traditional and is very modern looking compared to most other wedges currently on the market. I found it to be distracting.

Sound & Feel (10 out of 10 points)

The sound and feel is phenomenal. I can't stress that enough, the previous statement could easily be in all CAPS!! On center hits are crisp with a nice click like your mom snapped her fingers to get your attention and off center hits have a similar click but muted. You will definitely feel off center hits, but it isn't clunky or harsh like the Ping Glides. I instantly knew where on the club face the strike occurred. Compared to my current Ping Glide wedges, it is night and day because in my opinion the Glide wedges have no feel at all. I used impact tape during the forgiveness portion of my test and I didn't need to look down, because I instantly knew where the impact was just off of feel. Don't worry I took pictures of the strike locations and impact tape for your viewing pleasure. It is truly an amazing experience.

Range Performance (20 out of 20 points)

Ever felt like hitting 200 balls at the range, well if you try these wedges chances are you will want to hit them over and over and over. I completed 10 range sessions totaling 11 hours of testing with my final session of 2 hours on a newly installed TopTracer Range at a nearby golf course. Most of what you will see here are results from that final 2 hours of testing. TopTracer Range is like being at TopGolf, but at your local range. I used target technology aided by TopTracer's scoring system. You will see all of the data and feel free to ask questions or come to your own conclusions.

Accuracy and Control Test

For the accuracy and control test, I chose to hit to 3 targets at 100 yards, 80 yards, and 50 yards respectively. I gave each Ben Hogan Equalizer and each Ping Glide wedge only 6 shots. I warmed up prior to the test by hitting about 25 balls and also used the built in launch monitor to gauge my full, ¾ and ½ distances as a build up to the actual test.

The first test consisted of my current gap wedge gamer, the Ping I200 UW red dot at 50* AWT 2.0 Stiff Flex at 104 grams vs. the Ben Hogan Equalizer 52* 1 degree flat with KBS Tour 90 Stiff flex at 102 grams. The red dots are the Ben Hogan wedge shots and the black are the Pings. Ready for the results?

attachicon.gif 52v50greengrid.png

As you can see with the above graphic, the Equalizer won in a landslide. In my opinion, the feel and lie angle contributed greatly to the accuracy and this is what I have seen on the course as well.

The second test consisted of my current sand wedge gamer, the Ping Glide black dot at 54* CWS Wedge Flex at 130 grams vs. the Ben Hogan Equalizer 56* 1 degree flat with KBS Tour 90 Stiff flex at 102 grams. Ready for the results?

attachicon.gif 56v54greengrid.png

Again the Ben Hogan outperformed the Ping. Overall I thought that I would be much better from 80 yards, but the numbers don't lie.

The final accuracy test consisted of my current lob wedge gamer, the Ping Glide black dot at 58* CWS Wedge Flex at 130 grams vs. the Ben Hogan Equalizer 60* 1 degree flat with KBS Tour 90 Stiff flex at 102 grams. I tested them the same as before, but to a target at 50 yards. Ready for the results?

attachicon.gif 60v58greengrid.png

Now this is what I was expecting. I have seen through my rounds last year and this year that my current gamer Ping Glide 58 has a tendency to go left of target probably because of the standard lie angle. I also have had this shot come up multiple times on the course with my Pings and I have had a lot of trouble with ballooning shots at this distance and the engineering team really did a great job moving the weighting to a location which allowed me to flight the shot down. The Ben Hogan Equalizer won again easily and trust me if this continues to translate to the course then I have a great chance at making more birdies.

Forgiveness Test

The next variable I chose to test was forgiveness. I wanted to see if I could feel where the impact is on the face and also the distance variations on off center hits. I did the best I could here, but I found it difficult to hit way off on the toe or heel, but I have included the TopTracer data as well as distance charts and pictures of the impact position via impact tape. I hope you find this a worthy test.

Ben Hogan Equalizer 52* Forgiveness

The first test here is of the Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*. The chart below shows the shot number, distance, and impact position. Each subsequent picture will show the launch monitor data as well as the corresponding impact position. I didn't include each and every one of the shots, just the ones that were needed in my opinion.

attachicon.gif 52FORGIVENESSTEST.png

Shot 1 was 108 yards with center strike point towards the heel.

attachicon.gif 52CENTERFACE108.png

attachicon.gif 52CENTER108IMPACT.png

Shot 2 was center strike towards the heel.

attachicon.gif 52CENTERSTRIKEHEEL1.jpg

attachicon.gif 52CENTERSTRIKEHEEL2.jpg

Shot 3 was a center strike towards the toe which resulted in 106 yards.

Shot 4 was a dead center strike that resulted in 113 yards.

Shot 5 was a toe hit that resulted in 102 yards.

Here are the resulting strike points.

attachicon.gif 52degreeshots3to5.jpg

Shot number 6 was a heel strike that resulted in 98 yards.

attachicon.gif 52degreeheelstrike.jpg

attachicon.gif 52impactheel.jpg

Ben Hogan Equalizer 56* Forgiveness

attachicon.gif 56FORGIVENESSTEST.png

Shot number 1 was a high toe strike that resulted in 79 yards of distance.

attachicon.gif 56hightoe79.jpg

attachicon.gif 56hightoe79impact.jpg

Shot number 2 was middle heel which resulted in 82 yards of distance.

attachicon.gif 56middleheel82.jpg

attachicon.gif 56middleheel82impact.jpg

Shot number 3 was middle of face but low resulting 88 yards of distance.

attachicon.gif 3.jpg

attachicon.gif 4.jpg

Shot number 4 was middle of face but on the heel resulting in 88 yards of distance.

attachicon.gif 1.jpg

attachicon.gif 2.jpg

Shot number 5 was middle heel again resulting in 91 yards of distance.

attachicon.gif 56middleheel91.jpg

attachicon.gif 56middleheel91impact.jpg

Shot number 6 was middle heel and low resulting in 95 yards of distance.

attachicon.gif 56middleheellow95.jpg

attachicon.gif 56middleheellow95impact.jpg

Ben Hogan Equalizer 60* Forgiveness

attachicon.gif 60FORGIVENESSTEST.png

Shot number 1 was in the middle of the clubface resulting in 78 yards.

attachicon.gif 9.jpg

attachicon.gif 10.jpg

Shot number 2 was middle resulting in 73 yards of distance.

Shot number 3 was off the toe resulting in 72 yards of distance.

attachicon.gif 11.jpg

attachicon.gif 12.jpg

Shot number 4 was off the heel and low resulting in 85 yards of distance.

Shot number 5 was middle with 83 yards of distance.

Shot number 6 was middel again with 81 yards of distance.

Workability Test

For the workability test, I did a brief warm up of about 15 shots and during the warmup I tried to hit different types of shots. I basically based the test on a Tic Tac Toe board so as you will see in the graphic it consists of 9 squares. For this test, I tested each wedge and only gave myself one shot to hit the square.

Tic Tac Toe

attachicon.gif tictactoe.png

I have all associated pictures of the launch monitor data that correlate to this chart, but I am not including them mainly because I have put too much in here to begin with. I am Geeking Golf!

On-Course Performance (35 out of 40 points)

Overall the on course performance was better than the Ping Glides. Early on course testing produced less than desirable results, but further analysis determined that it was mainly due to my adjustment to the V-sole and the 2 degree difference between the current wedges and the test wedges.

I really wanted to provide even more data for the on course section, but my current GPS tracking watch the Skycaddie Linx GT stopped tracking shots right before beginning the testing. The only data I can provide in this section will be timeline tracking of my rounds. I did start using the 18birdies app so I will be including some wedge shots that were tracked with the app after I purchased the Premium Plan. I apologize for this, but if you refer back to the final range test you will see the Ben Hogan's performance characteristics.

Compared to my practice sessions, these wedges performed very similar in the later round tests. I have begun to trust these wedges more and more. Their accuracy is exceptional and golf is a lot more fun when I can control the trajectory and the shot shape instead of being forced to take dead aim. My greens in regulation numbers have gone up from my last years rounds. The ability to flight the ball down and to work it both ways is the major contributing factor in the increase in GIR. I believe that the forgiveness isn't as good as the Ping Glides, but I think this is a small price to pay considering.

Overall these wedges flat out perform! My scores definitely improved over time. I shot the best round of my golfing life with these wedges (a 74) and I think that says as much about their performance as anything else. After the test, I believe that Ben Hogan Golf is an OEM that can compete with the big boys in the market and they are a real sleeper for the average golfer wanting to play better golf. I think that after this current resurrection of the brand that Ben Hogan Golf is poised to explode on the golf scene and that they are staying true to original vision of Ben Hogan himself.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

These wedges score a solid play it for my game. These wedges have earned their place in my current bag. I know for a fact that after testing these forged wedges that my next set of clubs will be a forged set and quite possibly a Ben Hogan iron set could be in my future.

Conclusion

The Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges live up to manufacturers claims of enhanced feel and control. These wedges flat out perform on the range and more importantly on the course, where your scoring counts. If you put in the time, these wedges will reward your dedication and hard work with low scores and one putts.

Final Score: 93

Great job

Rick

Left Hand, 

I hit the flag stick from 110 last week first time ever...

Bryson DeChambeau

Archived