TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

hckymeyer

I hit the flag stick from 110 last week first time ever...

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not Too shabby

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be taking mine out of the bag for a round or two...the v sole is giving me trouble all of the sudden

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I hated the "V-sole," which clubmaker Terry Koehler took from Reid-Lockhart to Scor to Hogan.

Rev,  deejaid,  and others like it just fine.

It's probably impossible to say whether it's good or bad for somebody else.

You've got to hit it in a variety of situations.

In my case, I always did better with a relatively flat sole--minimum radius and camber--

preferably a touch wide of standard--

and practically NO bounce.

No sole configuration spins a ball harder than that. That spun old Top Flites hard.

On the other hand, that contributed to my never having been a good "non-flat lie" player.

That's what I'm scared of, the vsole, before buying. Cleveland has gone away from it with their new wedges. What do you guys think? Is the v-sole good? Does it allow variable lies?

They are moving away from it, but it's still available on their Mid-sole wedge although it's been modified somewhat I think.

I love the v-sole in my SCORs, and can hit them off most any lie.  It does take a little getting used to, but my wedge game has improved with it.  I love the look of the RTX-4, and might take a chance on the Low sole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That's what I'm scared of, the vsole, before buying. Cleveland has gone away from it with their new wedges. What do you guys think? Is the v-sole good? Does it allow variable lies?

I really like the vsole I switched from glides. It took a day or two to get used to it but I really like it. If you're hesitant or interested try their program to test it out. I really liked the club off the bat except the grip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I hit the flagstick a few weeks ago, and the ball went in the water. :(

No way

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

Loving these rundowns! Great reviews. I'm looking for a new wedge and you guys have me leaning towards the Hogans.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I haven't had any problems at all with the V Sole but I was gaming the RTX-3 before the Hogan's so I am pretty used to it. I am able to hit any shot from any lie with them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree with tommc23 on this even though I had a little trouble with fat shots recently my last round was stellar with these in the bag. The consistency around the greens is outstanding my short game had never been better. I almost made a hole in one on a 113 yard par 3 52 degree wedge to 2 ft.

Bryson DeChambeau

I would agree with tommc23 on this even though I had a little trouble with fat shots recently my last round was stellar with these in the bag. The consistency around the greens is outstanding my short game had never been better. I almost made a hole in one on a 113 yard par 3 52 degree wedge to 2 ft.

So are you keeping these in the bag when the Cobras arrive? 🤔😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I'd love to put these head to head with the Bridgestone wedges. Or have one of those guys give one of these a try. A little head to head forged wedge test would be nice. I wouldn't mind doing the Bridgestone test program when that comes out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That would be awesome to see, both are beautiful clubs and both are really performing 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

So are you keeping these in the bag when the Cobras arrive?

Yes I will most likely keep at least 2 out of the three honestly I am not sure of the makeup of the set as of yet it's going to be a surprise...Cobra has been awesome though

Bryson DeChambeau

Great reviews guys!

I ordered a set of 3 Equalizer wedges when I purchased my Hogan PTx irons. One of the great things about that was being able to select the lofts to maintain the gapping profile from the irons. The Equalizer 50, 54, 58 went immediately into the bag as replacements for my Mizzuno JPX gap wedge, and Cleveland 56 and 60. After a few range sessions to establish feel, what I noticed was an immediate improvement in consistency and forgiveness. After some more practice and on course use they have become point and shoot options for almost every short game shot (at least the ones I can pull off at my handicap level). Compared to the Clevelands, I find I'm standing over these wedges far more often, with more confidence that the ball will land close to the selected landing spot. I've seen an improvement in my up and down frequency, a drop in 3-putt frequency, and scores trending down a bit. All things I feel I can attribute to improved wedge play. Like the other reviews say, these Hogan Equalizers are legit performers.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I do have a gripe, the lowest lofted Equalizer is 50°...what if I need one lower than that and don't want a TK?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I do have a gripe, the lowest lofted Equalizer is 50°...what if I need one lower than that and don't want a TK?

How small of a gap do you need between your PW and first short wedge? Hogan can/will custom bend to make loft adjustments but once you get much less than 50 your are getting into the PW range of most standard sets or creating an inconsistent gap.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Had this crappy lie today when playing due to soft conditions. I did a splash bunker shot and got it into a range where I was able to one putt. Had a great bunker shot from a super wet and compact bunker where I got it real close see shot of the day thread for that one.

Wasn't enjoying the shafts today since I've increased my swing speed I was getting some huge distance gaps I could probably hit my 60° 90 yards today which was odd. I had some huge height disruption issues today too. When I was hoping to hit low it would go medium height and when I wanted high sometimes it would be a low flight. It was something I didn't have to deal with when swinging slower so I'm not sure these shafts will work for me. They loaded weird and I lost feel for the head a few times too. Going to continue to work with them and see how things work out with me increasing my speed.

20181003_123747.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, MattF said:

Matt, I just checked on the Equalizers and they go down to 48 for both righties and lefties.  Not sure if this helps or not. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

56 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Had this crappy lie today when playing due to soft conditions. I did a splash bunker shot and got it into a range where I was able to one putt. Had a great bunker shot from a super wet and compact bunker where I got it real close see shot of the day thread for that one.

Wasn't enjoying the shafts today since I've increased my swing speed I was getting some huge distance gaps I could probably hit my 60° 90 yards today which was odd. I had some huge height disruption issues today too. When I was hoping to hit low it would go medium height and when I wanted high sometimes it would be a low flight. It was something I didn't have to deal with when swinging slower so I'm not sure these shafts will work for me. They loaded weird and I lost feel for the head a few times too. Going to continue to work with them and see how things work out with me increasing my speed.

20181003_123747.jpg

Now I feel worse about the lies I get. That looks like a decent lie to me!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

9 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

thats actually buried that is fairway grass height

Ahhh, fairway. I was thinking, what course on earth cuts rough that short. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived