hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

That would be awesome to see, both are beautiful clubs and both are really performing

With how cheap the Bridgestone clubs are right now I may have to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So are you keeping these in the bag when the Cobras arrive?

Yes I will most likely keep at least 2 out of the three honestly I am not sure of the makeup of the set as of yet it's going to be a surprise...Cobra has been awesome though

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Great reviews guys!

I ordered a set of 3 Equalizer wedges when I purchased my Hogan PTx irons. One of the great things about that was being able to select the lofts to maintain the gapping profile from the irons. The Equalizer 50, 54, 58 went immediately into the bag as replacements for my Mizzuno JPX gap wedge, and Cleveland 56 and 60. After a few range sessions to establish feel, what I noticed was an immediate improvement in consistency and forgiveness. After some more practice and on course use they have become point and shoot options for almost every short game shot (at least the ones I can pull off at my handicap level). Compared to the Clevelands, I find I'm standing over these wedges far more often, with more confidence that the ball will land close to the selected landing spot. I've seen an improvement in my up and down frequency, a drop in 3-putt frequency, and scores trending down a bit. All things I feel I can attribute to improved wedge play. Like the other reviews say, these Hogan Equalizers are legit performers.

• Like 1

I do have a gripe, the lowest lofted Equalizer is 50°...what if I need one lower than that and don't want a TK?

I do have a gripe, the lowest lofted Equalizer is 50°...what if I need one lower than that and don't want a TK?

How small of a gap do you need between your PW and first short wedge? Hogan can/will custom bend to make loft adjustments but once you get much less than 50 your are getting into the PW range of most standard sets or creating an inconsistent gap.

Had this crappy lie today when playing due to soft conditions. I did a splash bunker shot and got it into a range where I was able to one putt. Had a great bunker shot from a super wet and compact bunker where I got it real close see shot of the day thread for that one.

Wasn't enjoying the shafts today since I've increased my swing speed I was getting some huge distance gaps I could probably hit my 60° 90 yards today which was odd. I had some huge height disruption issues today too. When I was hoping to hit low it would go medium height and when I wanted high sometimes it would be a low flight. It was something I didn't have to deal with when swinging slower so I'm not sure these shafts will work for me. They loaded weird and I lost feel for the head a few times too. Going to continue to work with them and see how things work out with me increasing my speed.

20181003_123747.jpg

• Like 6

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, MattF said:

Matt, I just checked on the Equalizers and they go down to 48 for both righties and lefties.  Not sure if this helps or not. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Had this crappy lie today when playing due to soft conditions. I did a splash bunker shot and got it into a range where I was able to one putt. Had a great bunker shot from a super wet and compact bunker where I got it real close see shot of the day thread for that one.

Wasn't enjoying the shafts today since I've increased my swing speed I was getting some huge distance gaps I could probably hit my 60° 90 yards today which was odd. I had some huge height disruption issues today too. When I was hoping to hit low it would go medium height and when I wanted high sometimes it would be a low flight. It was something I didn't have to deal with when swinging slower so I'm not sure these shafts will work for me. They loaded weird and I lost feel for the head a few times too. Going to continue to work with them and see how things work out with me increasing my speed.

20181003_123747.jpg

Now I feel worse about the lies I get. That looks like a decent lie to me!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Now I feel worse about the lies I get. That looks like a decent lie to me!

thats actually buried that is fairway grass height

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

thats actually buried that is fairway grass height

Ahhh, fairway. I was thinking, what course on earth cuts rough that short. 

Ahhh, fairway. I was thinking, what course on earth cuts rough that short. 
Yea the rough is being cut for the first time in weeks I had to play from rough 8 inches deep if not longer today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

One of the most amazing things I have experienced is the feel around the greens and front the bunker my short game has really improved because of these Equalizers

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 12:27 PM, GregB135 said:

How small of a gap do you need between your PW and first short wedge? Hogan can/will custom bend to make loft adjustments but once you get much less than 50 your are getting into the PW range of most standard sets or creating an inconsistent gap.

I want a 46° PW in the Equalizer rather than using the one that came with the set.

11 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Matt, I just checked on the Equalizers and they go down to 48 for both righties and lefties.  Not sure if this helps or not. 

They mustn't have had them in stock last week because when I looked, 50° was as low as they went.

They mustn't have had them in stock last week because when I looked, 50° was as low as they went.
They do bend them if requested. You could potentially get them to have a 48 bent to 47 which is close to the 46 you want.

• Like 1

They can bend them 2°, so getting it to 46° wouldn't be an issue. The TK wedges were/are available in 46° so I wonder why the Equalizers aren't.

Right guys it's been 4 months of solid use, how are the wedges holding up? Any major damage or wear? 🤔😎

Mine still look great even hitting them of concrete

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Mine still look great even hitting them of concrete

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
I have a small nick from the concrete but not much. Look great still but still not a huge fan of the shafts. I wish they had dynamic gold when we got these

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MattF said:

They can bend them 2°, so getting it to 46° wouldn't be an issue. The TK wedges were/are available in 46° so I wonder why the Equalizers aren't.

You'll also want to pay attention to shaft length. Depending on the makeup of you iron set the wedge shaft will likely wind up being 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than the pitching wedge shaft. Based on the shaft specs for the PTx irons, for example, the Equalizer wedge shaft would be 1/4 inch shorter than the full set PW shaft. 

I'm a shortarse so I play shorter length anyway.