hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Except they're not doing Dynamic Gold shafts, it seems... I've emailed them

They do have the DG shafts now

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks testers / reviewers for not only great work but for being really informative, too! Largely based on your raves (well .. and a Black Friday special) I splurged on a new 3-wedge set of Black Equalizers!

• Like 3

I hope that you enjoy them. I truly wish that they had them in DG when we got the testing opportunity. The shaft with the 52 was my biggest complaint. 

• Like 1

I hope that you enjoy them. I truly wish that they had them in DG when we got the testing opportunity. The shaft with the 52 was my biggest complaint. 
Thanks!! I opted for the Recoils .. also have Recoils in my irons, and this year switched to graphite in the wedges - and I like it!
  • Like 2

Great feedback here and I’m in the market for new wedges. These were in the conversation and may be at the top now.

I'd wager that they are this years Most Wanted wedges.

6 hours ago, MattF said:

I'd wager that they are this years Most Wanted wedges.

Matt they are not even top 3.... I looked at the findings they seemed to be the lower tier along with the bridgestone wedges that also got pretty good reviews.

I think one of the biggest things you take from the Most Wanted report is that by almost all metrics everything is so close that finding a wedge that suits you is all that matters. 

• Like 3

I think one of the biggest things you take from the Most Wanted report is that by almost all metrics everything is so close that finding a wedge that suits you is all that matters. 
Good point .. it all comes down to that elusive "feel" thing...

(...And, i guess, what looks good to you and gives you confidence to pull off some spectacular short game shots!)

IMG_20181206_140057358_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpeg.9c76764eefe891be9dbf1f57dec79aec.jpeg

Hello Handsome!!!

Yep - these shiny new bad boys showed up today. I usually don't dwell on club aesthetics but I think these look pretty good!

IMG_20181206_140120259_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.54d1f498242f1c1435edaee4e2a8bd4a.jpeg

Paired with blacked-out Recoils...

IMG_20181206_140346216_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.a66e34fb474e6068b336c27019c22fe9.jpeg

..and Lamkin Z5s...

IMG_20181206_140307943.jpeg.39a7d297ca2f2d61e2ee825c3942b639.jpeg

Then I took them into the garage practice chipping "range" and gave them their first go - I think the V-Sole is really going help me, as I have a tendency to come in steep.

IMG_20181206_140641654.jpeg.6485b7c59d245f9209ab6bef034d453e.jpeg

Of course _actual_ playing characteristics TBD!

• Like 6

IMG_20181206_140057358_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpeg.9c76764eefe891be9dbf1f57dec79aec.jpeg

Hello Handsome!!!

Yep - these shiny new bad boys showed up today. I usually don't dwell on club aesthetics but I think these look pretty good!

IMG_20181206_140120259_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.54d1f498242f1c1435edaee4e2a8bd4a.jpeg

Paired with blacked-out Recoils...
IMG_20181206_140346216_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.a66e34fb474e6068b336c27019c22fe9.jpeg

..and Lamkin Z5s...
IMG_20181206_140307943.jpeg.39a7d297ca2f2d61e2ee825c3942b639.jpeg

Then I took them into the garage practice chipping "range" and have them their first go - I think the V-Sole it's really going help me, as I have a tendency to come in steep.

IMG_20181206_140641654.jpeg.6485b7c59d245f9209ab6bef034d453e.jpeg

Of course _actual_ playing characteristics TBD!

Wow, those look sick with the black Recoils! Oh my!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Wow, those look sick with the black Recoils! Oh my!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

(..and now I'm wondering if I need to hire [mention=291]chisag[/mention] as my photogenic stand-in .. and .. as my short game stunt double )

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PokeForeLyfe said:

Just ordered a set in black. First set that won’t be Vokey excited to give them a shot.

They are great wedges good luck

17 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Matt they are not even top 3.... I looked at the findings they seemed to be the lower tier along with the bridgestone wedges that also got pretty good reviews.

I saw that mate and was very surprised considering the reviews they got...that's why I would have put some money on them.

• Like 1

93/100 was the lowest overall score and was there anything less than 20/20 for the bag it score?

If the most wanted is done off of mats, does the sole of the club matter? A super thin sole with no bounce can’t dig in to a hitting mat, but could be a nightmare out in some sloppy real world situations. Someone just recently posted how they are a +4 on the range and it all goes to hell on the course. Maybe range mats have something to do with that?
Disclaimer: I’m a bit of a Hogan homer, so I was a bit baffled after seeing the most wanted results, especially after seeing the glowing reviews here.

How close does the order of the rankings repeat if you did a new testing next week? Even with the same people?

• Like 1

If the most wanted is done off of mats, does the sole of the club matter? A super thin sole with no bounce can’t dig in to a hitting mat, but could be a nightmare out in some sloppy real world situations. Someone just recently posted how they are a +4 on the range and it all goes to hell on the course. Maybe range mats have something to do with that?
Disclaimer: I’m a bit of a Hogan homer, so I was a bit baffled after seeing the most wanted results, especially after seeing the glowing reviews here.

How close does the order of the rankings repeat if you did a new testing next week? Even with the same people?

Yes the most wanted testing is done off mats. I would say that everyone is different and thin sole low bounce may not be an issue if the person is more of a sweeper. In the end all the wedges were hit in the same conditions.

Reviews even the most wanted don’t provide a single answer for everyone. You still have to find what works for you and it may not be the Most wanted number one finisher.

Would the order remain the same if done with the same testers? MGS uses statistical significance to prepare the results which means there is a high confidence that the results would be the same. Just because a club finished on top, doesn’t mean it was the best for every tester.

For the forum tests, players get to do some extended work with the wedges so they can figure out how to make them work. With most wanted we hit 4 shots then switch to another wedge until we get about 10 good shots for each wedge. The club order is different for the testers.

I can’t speak for other testers, but during the process I try to ignore the brand of the club that I am hitting to avoid any biases. I may go back after the tests if something really stood out and take a closer look. For me the Hogan clubs didn’t particularly stand out. I have asked to see if they can tell me my most wanted club and see where it falls in the list.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

93/100 was the lowest overall score and was there anything less than 20/20 for the bag it score?

The variance in almost all the results in the Most Wanted wedge testing is so close between every single wedge that your last sentence is probably accurate, but also so close to the point that unless you're at a point where picking a shot up over your competition every 80+ rounds matters, the clubs are actually much of a muchness. Look at the "strokes gained" metric, you'd have to play more than 50 holes (I think, going from memory of the scores) before the "best" wedge picks you up a shot over the "worst".

Basically, they're so close that if the look of the thing actually matters to you, that will probably make more difference to the outcome than the wedge itself.

The testing says that Ping have done a good job with these wedges, that's great. It also says that if you want an RTX4, a Hogan or a Miura you're really not giving anything up and a fitted club of your choice will no matter where it is on the list is almost guaranteed to perform better than an off the shelf from anywhere else on the list.

• Like 3