Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks testers / reviewers for not only great work but for being really informative, too! Largely based on your raves (well .. and a Black Friday special) I splurged on a new 3-wedge set of Black Equalizers!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I hope that you enjoy them. I truly wish that they had them in DG when we got the testing opportunity. The shaft with the 52 was my biggest complaint. 
Thanks!! I opted for the Recoils .. also have Recoils in my irons, and this year switched to graphite in the wedges - and I like it!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

That's great news yes I have to agree black finish is the way to go

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I'd wager that they are this years Most Wanted wedges.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

6 hours ago, MattF said:

I'd wager that they are this years Most Wanted wedges.

Matt they are not even top 3.... I looked at the findings they seemed to be the lower tier along with the bridgestone wedges that also got pretty good reviews.

I think one of the biggest things you take from the Most Wanted report is that by almost all metrics everything is so close that finding a wedge that suits you is all that matters. 

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

I think one of the biggest things you take from the Most Wanted report is that by almost all metrics everything is so close that finding a wedge that suits you is all that matters. 
Good point .. it all comes down to that elusive "feel" thing...

(...And, i guess, what looks good to you and gives you confidence to pull off some spectacular short game shots!)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

IMG_20181206_140057358_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpeg.9c76764eefe891be9dbf1f57dec79aec.jpeg

Hello Handsome!!!

Yep - these shiny new bad boys showed up today. I usually don't dwell on club aesthetics but I think these look pretty good!

IMG_20181206_140120259_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.54d1f498242f1c1435edaee4e2a8bd4a.jpeg

Paired with blacked-out Recoils...

IMG_20181206_140346216_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.a66e34fb474e6068b336c27019c22fe9.jpeg

..and Lamkin Z5s...

IMG_20181206_140307943.jpeg.39a7d297ca2f2d61e2ee825c3942b639.jpeg

Then I took them into the garage practice chipping "range" and gave them their first go - I think the V-Sole is really going help me, as I have a tendency to come in steep.

IMG_20181206_140641654.jpeg.6485b7c59d245f9209ab6bef034d453e.jpeg

Of course _actual_ playing characteristics TBD!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

IMG_20181206_140057358_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpeg.9c76764eefe891be9dbf1f57dec79aec.jpeg

Hello Handsome!!!

Yep - these shiny new bad boys showed up today. I usually don't dwell on club aesthetics but I think these look pretty good!

IMG_20181206_140120259_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.54d1f498242f1c1435edaee4e2a8bd4a.jpeg

IMG_20181206_140346216_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.a66e34fb474e6068b336c27019c22fe9.jpeg

..and Lamkin Z5s...

Then I took them into the garage practice chipping "range" and have them their first go - I think the V-Sole it's really going help me, as I have a tendency to come in steep.

Wow, those look sick with the black Recoils! Oh my!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Wow, those look sick with the black Recoils! Oh my!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

(..and now I'm wondering if I need to hire [mention=291]chisag[/mention] as my photogenic stand-in .. and .. as my short game stunt double )

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

17 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Matt they are not even top 3.... I looked at the findings they seemed to be the lower tier along with the bridgestone wedges that also got pretty good reviews.

I saw that mate and was very surprised considering the reviews they got...that's why I would have put some money on them.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

93/100 was the lowest overall score and was there anything less than 20/20 for the bag it score?

If the most wanted is done off of mats, does the sole of the club matter? A super thin sole with no bounce can’t dig in to a hitting mat, but could be a nightmare out in some sloppy real world situations. Someone just recently posted how they are a +4 on the range and it all goes to hell on the course. Maybe range mats have something to do with that?
Disclaimer: I’m a bit of a Hogan homer, so I was a bit baffled after seeing the most wanted results, especially after seeing the glowing reviews here.

How close does the order of the rankings repeat if you did a new testing next week? Even with the same people?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

If the most wanted is done off of mats, does the sole of the club matter? A super thin sole with no bounce can’t dig in to a hitting mat, but could be a nightmare out in some sloppy real world situations. Someone just recently posted how they are a +4 on the range and it all goes to hell on the course. Maybe range mats have something to do with that?
Disclaimer: I’m a bit of a Hogan homer, so I was a bit baffled after seeing the most wanted results, especially after seeing the glowing reviews here.

How close does the order of the rankings repeat if you did a new testing next week? Even with the same people?

Yes the most wanted testing is done off mats. I would say that everyone is different and thin sole low bounce may not be an issue if the person is more of a sweeper. In the end all the wedges were hit in the same conditions.

Reviews even the most wanted don’t provide a single answer for everyone. You still have to find what works for you and it may not be the Most wanted number one finisher.

Would the order remain the same if done with the same testers? MGS uses statistical significance to prepare the results which means there is a high confidence that the results would be the same. Just because a club finished on top, doesn’t mean it was the best for every tester.

For the forum tests, players get to do some extended work with the wedges so they can figure out how to make them work. With most wanted we hit 4 shots then switch to another wedge until we get about 10 good shots for each wedge. The club order is different for the testers.

I can’t speak for other testers, but during the process I try to ignore the brand of the club that I am hitting to avoid any biases. I may go back after the tests if something really stood out and take a closer look. For me the Hogan clubs didn’t particularly stand out. I have asked to see if they can tell me my most wanted club and see where it falls in the list.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

40 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

93/100 was the lowest overall score and was there anything less than 20/20 for the bag it score?

The variance in almost all the results in the Most Wanted wedge testing is so close between every single wedge that your last sentence is probably accurate, but also so close to the point that unless you're at a point where picking a shot up over your competition every 80+ rounds matters, the clubs are actually much of a muchness. Look at the "strokes gained" metric, you'd have to play more than 50 holes (I think, going from memory of the scores) before the "best" wedge picks you up a shot over the "worst".

Basically, they're so close that if the look of the thing actually matters to you, that will probably make more difference to the outcome than the wedge itself.

The testing says that Ping have done a good job with these wedges, that's great. It also says that if you want an RTX4, a Hogan or a Miura you're really not giving anything up and a fitted club of your choice will no matter where it is on the list is almost guaranteed to perform better than an off the shelf from anywhere else on the list.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Interesting thoughts. It is possible, I suppose... Though... As I understand it, the testing is designed to reduce (of course, bit cannot completely eliminate) subjectivity and bias.

That said - one thing I noticed right away is the Hogans have a firmer feel and seem to give off a slightly louder click when hit .. compared to the Callaway wedges I've been playing for awhile (eg. possibly made of a somewhat firmer metal composition?).

So thinking along those lines maybe it's possible that some of the testers may have felt something similar .. and since sound & feel are a big part of a reaction to any club .. it may have influenced the' perception of the Equalizers..??

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

So thinking along those lines maybe it's possible that some of the testers may have felt something similar .. and since sound & feel are a big part of a reaction to any club .. it may have influenced the' perception of the Equalizers..??

Interesting thoughts. It is possible that the players may have a reaction to the clubs sound or look. I know I try and avoid that bias and just try to accomplish the task the best I can. My approach for the wedge testing was to try and make the same swing with every club.

Full shot was the basic full swing.

40 yard: warmed up to figure out what swing was needed to hit the shot and just try to repeat. For me it was a moderate paced 9-3 length swing with fairly narrow stance

15 yard: was half open face, narrow chipping type stance, club back to parallel to the ground.

The hard part is maintaining that over the 100+ swings during a wedge testing session especially if you don’t hit the first one or two shots to the hole with a particular club.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 12/6/2018 at 6:07 PM, cksurfdude said:

Hello Handsome!!!

..and Lamkin Z5s...

Then I took them into the garage practice chipping "range" and gave them their first go - I think the V-Sole is really going help me, as I have a tendency to come in steep.

Did you game these yet or was the range session it? If you did first impressions??

Did you game these yet or was the range session it? If you did first impressions??
Hey, no only indoor garage practice "range" so far. Game time is gonna be iffy for me with the temps and winds we've been having...

There is one outdoor range not too far away that has 50, 75 and 100 yard markers (and wind screens separating each stall and heating pipes!) so I have to get over there soon with both sets of wedges.

But first impressions are positive!

One of the first things I noticed .. as mentioned in an earlier post above .. is these feel a bit firmer off the face to me vs the different Callaway wedges I've been playing for the past several seasons. Possibly the metal composition used? Also the sound when hit seems to be a bit louder.

These are not negatives .. the Equalizers just have a different feel, but one that I think I'm going to quickly come to like.

Also, I think the V-Sole is going to help me as I have a tendency to come in steep on the ball sometimes and dig too much; but that obviously has to wait until actually playing on turf to determine - possibly in February when we have a trip planned.

But so far just chipping and pitching in the garage I'm thinking these are going to be good for my game by helping me learn to control the ball on different kinds of short approach and greenside shots!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK .. these bad boys got their first on-course outings last week .. appropriately enough in Texas .. and yeah, they're everything I want them to be! 

Only minor negative was my fault - I play with CP2 Wrap grips (standard) on my other clubs and these come with Lamkin Z5. The CP2 feel slightly thicker - which is good for my old fingers - while the Lamkin feel slightly thinner. I'd ordered Mid-Size on the 54 and 58 but Standard on the 50 .. so now that club has just a tiny bit of a different feel on it.... Anyway, easy enough to fix with a regrip.

But I'm really happy with the way these performed; I got to hit each wedge several times and from varying lies. Felt like I had good directional and distance control with each club; I felt confident hitting these on short approaches and on different kinds of chips and pitches around the greens. Had a few nice up and downs, too!

And the V-Sole just *works* - fairway, rough, scruffy rough, hard sand, soft sand, ...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

45 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

OK .. these bad boys got their first on-course outings last week .. appropriately enough in Texas .. and yeah, they're everything I want them to be! 

Only minor negative was my fault - I play with CP2 Wrap grips (standard) on my other clubs and these come with Lamkin Z5. The CP2 feel slightly thicker - which is good for my old fingers - while the Lamkin feel slightly thinner. I'd ordered Mid-Size on the 54 and 58 but Standard on the 50 .. so now that club has just a tiny bit of a different feel on it.... Anyway, easy enough to fix with a regrip.

But I'm really happy with the way these performed; I got to hit each wedge several times and from varying lies. Felt like I had good directional and distance control with each club; I felt confident hitting these on short approaches and on different kinds of chips and pitches around the greens. Had a few nice up and downs, too!

And the V-Sole just *works* - fairway, rough, scruffy rough, hard sand, soft sand, ...

Great news!!  Glad you like them.  I have to do something with wedges this year, and the Hogans are the closest to my SCORs.  However, I just have to do some testing so I'm having tryouts this spring!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

13 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Great news!!  Glad you like them.  I have to do something with wedges this year, and the Hogans are the closest to my SCORs.  However, I just have to do some testing so I'm having tryouts this spring!!

Thx! Hard to go wrong with these, and a big attraction for me was getting them with the same Recoils I have in my irons.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Archived