hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

I will say that I've shot my two best rounds in back to back weeks with these in the bag. Not saying it's the clubs because it might be the 15 lbs I lost also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

Tom and Geeking.....FanFrickinTastic!!

Two great intros to start it off. Geeking, I really liked the Glides when I had them in the bag. I'll be anxious to hear how these stack up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

First of all thank you for serving our country for all those years! Secondly great into and I look forward to following your journey through this review. Well done partner.

I wonder what he has more battle scars from, serving our country or raising 6 kids

• Like 6

I wonder what he has more battle scars from, serving our country or raising 6 kids

haha It's got to be the six kids  and he's definitely a hero!  ;)

• Like 1

Great pics, Tom

Thanks I did my best to crop and size them so you could get the suttle details that the clubs have. The face is very nice with the milling on it.

• Like 1

Nice start on all the reviews.   

My question is related to the sole of the clubs.   Since these wedges only come in 1 bounce configuration,  how does the V Sole work for shots around the green (open face, bunkers, short pitches, and chips)?  Also,  do you consider a digger or slider?  Hope you all planning on trying these wedges on bare hardpan lies :)

• Like 2

Nice start on all the reviews.

My question is related to the sole of the clubs. Since these wedges only come in 1 bounce configuration, how does the V Sole work for shots around the green (open face, bunkers, short pitches, and chips)? Also, do you consider a digger or slider? Hope you all planning on trying these wedges on bare hardpan lies :)

I only had two bunker shots so far so I will have to push that answer off for another day. I actually like the sole for my swing it works well open and closed face going high or low. I was a digger now I'm working on fixing that.

• Like 2

My question is related to the sole of the clubs.   Since these wedges only come in 1 bounce configuration,  how does the V Sole work for shots around the green (open face, bunkers, short pitches, and chips)?  Also,  do you consider a digger or slider?  Hope you all planning on trying these wedges on bare hardpan lies :)

Great question. The V Sole is not Hogan but brought over from Scor. They were a totally different look to me, and my first round with them messed with my head. I tried to play them differently than other wedges and feel like I cost myself a number of strokes. It turned out that the problem was me, not them, and I played them successfully later on.

These Equalizers have a more traditional Hogan look with the V Sole. Absolutely beautiful clubs and I look forward to hearing about them. I would definitely look into these had I not just gotten new in the plastic wedges..

• Like 5

Tom and Geeking.....FanFrickinTastic!!

Two great intros to start it off. Geeking, I really liked the Glides when I had them in the bag. I'll be anxious to hear how these stack up.

Rob I love the Glide wedges as well but to me there isn't any feel with them. I am not going to lie though it is going to be difficult to kick them out of the bag. 

Rob I love the Glide wedges as well but to me there isn't any feel with them. I am not going to lie though it is going to be difficult to kick them out of the bag.

I agree glides are what I'm gaming now they will be hard to beat but maybe not since I have been noticing less spin after 3 years of heavy use.

• Like 1

First and foremost I'd like to thank the Ben Hogan company and My Golf Spy for this opportunity. I know most reviews start this way, but it's true for myself and others that this phenomenal opportunity wouldn't happen without them. MGS is a great place and I'm glad that I found it. I have bleen playing golf since 2015 when a friend of mine got me into this game, he is my one of my best friends. It didn't take much for me to get hooked on golf since I enjoy being outside a lot and it was something that kept me going. I have been playing hockey since I was 5 and the transition from hockey to golf has been a little difficult. It's been difficult for me to adjust because of playing defense and taking so many shots without looking at the puck and also hitting so far behind the puck which doesn't work well in golf.

attachicon.gifme.jpg

Since playing I have lowered my scores from 120 to 130 down to by personal best 96. My current gamer irons are Wishon 575, blades with a small cavity in the long irons, ping glide 1.0 56* and 60*, and I play a 13* 3wood xr16 as my driver.

I live in Northeast Pa and have been playing in some courses near Reading Pa recently. I'm not a long hitter and I'm not a short hitter I normally tee off with my 3w then use a longer to mid iron to get near then green or on the green. I play my wedges a lot on par 5s because I tend to leave myself 100 or less into the green. I have some trouble with sand near the green but I play better out of fairway bunkers( don't know why). I enjoy golfing because it's my break from work and my break from dog training my other love.

attachicon.gifbox.jpg

attachicon.gifopen box.jpg

I tend to be a faster player with my rounds being 3 hours or less. My swing is a faster swing most of the time and I normally play a left to right ball flight with my miss being a ball that goes too far right. I am playing stiff shafts in my irons and now the wedges because I have a faster tempo and the true temper s300 is giving me a lower ball flight compared to the super high ball flight I was having with other shafts and irons.

attachicon.gif51.jpgattachicon.gif56.jpgattachicon.gif60.jpgattachicon.gif56 back.jpgMy 56* is normally by 75 to 100 choice, 60* is 75 yards and in club, and the 50* to 51* is 100 to 115. I can play my pitching wedge from my 125 yard or in depending on whether I flight it down or play my normal shot. I am typically a very good short game player and that helps me score or save a score. The one thing that I have improved with my wedges and hope to keep improving is picking the ball better. I'm hoping that the change in sole and bounce will help me keep from digging the leading edge into the ground as much. The bounce and sole change is something that I hope will help me out when playing bunker shots also.

attachicon.gifgrip.jpgattachicon.gifgrooves.jpg

Since putting these wedges in the bag I have scored my lowest round and have hit some really nice shots. I'm putting the Hogan wedges up against the Wishon A wedge which is a 50* so I had the 52* bent to a 51*. The glide wedges have been in my bag since 2015 and I'm hoping that there is a good test between them and the Hogans. I know that the grooves are getting a little worn so it may not be the best comparison but I will do my best.

attachicon.gifinfo.jpgattachicon.gifspecs.jpgattachicon.giftop view.jpgI will be going to the range once a week and playing a round once a week to test these out. I will either play a full 18 hole course or a par 3 course. I'm thinking the par 3 will be a good place to put these to the test. I'm hoping that the v sole gives me a different play-ability compared to the wedges I game now. I also hope that the milled face gives me a little more stopping power than the glides did. I will be doing all my testing with the cut white or blue balls. I may throw in some snell but they will one of the three balls. Sorry I know the pictures are random but I didn't know where to place them being my first review so I'm open to comments and placement advice.

Great stage 1, looking forward to Stage 2. Only question for Stage 1 is, is that a 12 or 16 ga dbl barrel?

• Like 1

Great stage 1, looking forward to Stage 2. Only question for Stage 1 is, is that a 12 or 16 ga dbl barrel?

That is my 16 gauge. My 20 ga over and under went down that day. I now use my 28ga for pretty much everything unless I go hunting with other people then I let them shoot first and then take the long shot with the 16. Thanks for thinking my first ever stage 1 is good.

• Like 3

Great stage 1 fellow spies. I always enjoy reading about our fellow spies personal side, appreciate you guys sharing a little bit of your lives. The wedges look amazing, can't wait for stage 2 to hearing about their performance and feel off the wedges

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3