HighFade

Ok, we get it. He’s analytical

Unfortunately the announcers ruin a lot of golfers now than they help by talking about things they do

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sure have to agree with that statement

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'm no analyst. But I am 100% sure that I heard a commentator say “Tiger is going with a Gap Wedge”....

Since when does Tiger carry a “gap wedge”?

Maybe the analyst should analyze the garbage they are spewing.

I find it interesting how much flack Bryson gets for being analytical, but Phil Michelson gets none of it.

Also, as a golfer, you're supposed to analyze the situation and then execute a skillful shot. The best players in the world are able to do both. Any high level golfer is going to have a strong mental game as well as being skilled enough to execute.

Now as to the golf media, they don't do much to educate anymore which is a damn shame. If they would shut up and let us listen to the caddie-golfer conversations, that would be much more appealing.

Has it ever occurred to anyone here - or in any thread in which we find ourselves complaining about sports announcers and color commentators - is that it's THEIR JOB to talk, endlessly if need be? ... And that the very moment in which there's more than a few seconds of silence that they've got a producer barking in their ear to SAY SOMETHING - while another producer(s) is yabbering in their other ear some meaningless stat of the day, or that whomever just birdied 14 - and they have to process all that while trying to sound vaguely intelligent. ... In the TV world it's referred to as "dead air time," and the networks don't like it, because they're paying them to talk.

Personally, I can't watch TV and listen to my wife trying to tell me something about the kids/grandkids or some murder mystery at the same time - and the proof in the pudding is her asking me later what I thought about what she'd told me and not having a clue what she was talking about and having to bluff my way unsuccessfully through it.

And while you might despise some on-air personality, the reason they're working (or still working) is that some somebodies think they're doing a pretty bang-up job, and that's why they're still employed.

Soooooo anyway, next time you find yourself bored by what they're saying, don't like the cliche of the week, or find their accents or tone particularly grating - there's this cool little button on your remote. ... Give it a try. ;)

It's not like when I was a kid and my dad had to yell at me to get up, or come from another room in the house, and adjust the volume.

The mute button is super powerful. And we'll used here.

I would love producers to get creative with finishing other ways to fill that “dead-air,” like a caddie-golfer conversation.

• Like 2

What, so you can hear the off-color comments they're making about some hoochie that's been following their group, or so you can hear the player cuss up a blue streak because they just hit a shot that caused them to bogey the 18th and miss a playoff by one shot?

Yeah, the golfers and their caddies are also working - and I'm guessing they don't want to worry about what they say on-air.

Not at all what I am suggesting. That does nothing to improve the viewing experience.

I think that hearing the strategy they are discussing, what they are looking at, feeling, thinking, etc. is a way to help educate fans about what the players are doing and how good you have to be to play at that level.

And no way should it be a live feed. That's ludicrous. But having a package like the NBA and NFL do of the “mic'd up” coaches or players would be intriguing.

• Like 4

What, so you can hear the off-color comments they're making about some hoochie that's been following their group, or so you can hear the player cuss up a blue streak because they just hit a shot that caused them to bogey the 18th and miss a playoff by one shot?

Yeah, the golfers and their caddies are also working - and I'm guessing they don't want to worry about what they say on-air.

It's very obvious you have strong feelings on this subject. Just try to remember, this forum has members like myself who are recreational golfers, trying to improve our game. Then there are others who have chosen a profession within the golf world, and sometimes they need to see, understand, or appreciate what we feel. Let's not take this to the ugly level. I can speak for the average Joe, commentators can and do blah blah blah too much at certain points. Please just take all the comments at face value, and if you are in a position to make a change, use them as reference.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Well individual players' strategy is kind of one of those things that I'd guess they don't want out there.

"What they're looking at"? Well, the announcers already do that.

"Thinking"?? That's why they use retired players to do color commentary.

"How good you have to be to play at that level"??? Really? You need help with that?

So it's not a live feed???? Well that kinda kills your filling the dead air time theory.

There was a moment in today's broadcast on the 17th hole where Kyle Stanley and his caddie are discussing being in-between clubs and we are able to hear what they are looking to execute. That is an excellent example of what I am suggesting. I would enjoy it if they did that more often.

• Like 1

Again, it's their job to "blah, blah, blah."

Otherwise, it's like suggesting Jim Nance, or an of the other on-air talent, or off-air producers, to show up at your workplace tomorrow and try and tell you how to do your job.

Just sayin'

Maybe, but every job requires feedback that can be used to improve the process. Critiques I believe a very important part of any process, even if they painful.

Hey, Cantlay, HIT THE FREAKING BALL!!!!!!!!

I can't watch this. They need to start costing these dudes strokes. It's total crap!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was actually happy I wasn't going to be able to watch much of the final round because of this dork being in contention. The few shots I saw from him made me turn it off. 20 seconds from the time his club was grounded behind the ball to contact and only four periods of his shuffle. His extremely slow play plus the fact that his facial expression always looks like someone made him eat a turd sandwich really turn me off.

I think it's safe to say people like us are the core TV audience. When we start tuning out because of slow play, they have a serious problem.

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised how many people on here have such a problem with guys taking a little longer standing over the ball. I wouldn't really consider it slow play. Whatever they're doing, it works because they are way better than any of us on here. And for the people who are annoyed because Bryson is "analytical," again, he's a much better player than you. He certainly isn't my favorite player to watch, but he's out there doing his job.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised how many people on here have such a problem with guys taking a little longer standing over the ball. I wouldn't really consider it slow play. Whatever they're doing, it works because they are way better than any of us on here. And for the people who are annoyed because Bryson is "analytical," again, he's a much better player than you. He certainly isn't my favorite player to watch, but he's out there doing his job.

For me anyway, I don't have an issue with the player(s)(DeChambeau in this case), in fact, I welcome the new style and unique way to play the game. Lately we see a lot of the same swings on the young guys and it gets hard to tell them apart. Def not the case with DeChambeau! I was more crying about Faldo and his constant talk about how analytical DeChambeau is.

Others have commented about filling air time over the course of 4-6 hours, and I agree that is no easy task. I just want the commentator to quit beating that dead horse.

• Like 4

It's very obvious you have strong feelings on this subject. Just try to remember, this forum has members like myself who are recreational golfers, trying to improve our game. Then there are others who have chosen a profession within the golf world, and sometimes they need to see, understand, or appreciate what we feel. Let's not take this to the ugly level. I can speak for the average Joe, commentators can and do blah blah blah too much at certain points. Please just take all the comments at face value, and if you are in a position to make a change, use them as reference.

Well said.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

The Tour has a rule on time.... They don't enforce it. Why have the rule of it won't be enforced?

Not all Tour players are slow players.... Slow players have a great advantage over fast players on Tour because there is no way to force a group to speed-up, but one guy like Cantlay can certainly disrupt a fast player's mojo and cost them strokes.

I'm certainly not of the belief that one is on Tour because they're slow. It makes the tournament unwatchable, and if they're losing ME, a golf junkie, the Tour has a problem.

• Like 4

I'm no analyst. But I am 100% sure that I heard a commentator say “Tiger is going with a Gap Wedge”....

Since when does Tiger carry a “gap wedge”?

Maybe the analyst should analyze the garbage they are spewing.

Announcers are full of it. I was watching the US Women's Open yesterday and he said "She'll be hitting an 8 or 9 iron in here."

WTF?!!!

She just hit her driver 245 and has 178 to go. How can this be possible? 8 iron will leave her 40-50 yards short by my estimations.

• Like 3

The Tour has a rule on time.... They don't enforce it. Why have the rule of it won't be enforced?

Not all Tour players are slow players.... Slow players have a great advantage over fast players on Tour because there is no way to force a group to speed-up, but one guy like Cantlay can certainly disrupt a fast player's mojo and cost them strokes.

I'm certainly not of the belief that one is on Tour because they're slow. It makes the tournament unwatchable, and if they're losing ME, a golf junkie, the Tour has a problem.

I could easily imagine someone like DJ, who appears to be a pretty quick player, getting really frustrated when playing with a super slow guy. Whether he does, or not, I don't know, but I certainly get frustrated trying to watch it happen.

• Like 4

Bless their hearts

Tazz

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  You gotta be from down South to know the meaning of that one---- You wanna tell them or do you want me to? :D

• Like 1

Not at all what I am suggesting. That does nothing to improve the viewing experience.

I think that hearing the strategy they are discussing, what they are looking at, feeling, thinking, etc. is a way to help educate fans about what the players are doing and how good you have to be to play at that level.

And no way should it be a live feed. That's ludicrous. But having a package like the NBA and NFL do of the “mic'd up” coaches or players would be intriguing.

Yeah they do not need the live feed. That is why there was so much stuff with Tiger dropping the F bomb. It was said he went through more scrutiny than any other golfer in history.

• Like 2

Everyone always talks about how analytical he is but I have to say that you can't be a robot and play golf. He may be very calculated but he has to be an artist of some sort in order to navigate a course, especially when things don't go according to plan. As well you have to give him credit for doing things his own way no matter the criticism he receives. He drew his own path and has never wavered.

Congrats on the win, and there will be a few more in his future.

• Like 5

I don't mind it, and appreciate how willing he is to break the conventional. All I wish was that when they did it, they didn't make it seems like everyone else on your is so much less calculated than he is.

Everyone always talks about how analytical he is but I have to say that you can't be a robot and play golf. He may be very calculated but he has to be an artist of some sort in order to navigate a course, especially when things don't go according to plan. As well you have to give him credit for doing things his own way no matter the criticism he receives. He drew his own path and has never wavered.

Congrats on the win, and there will be a few more in his future.

One of the reasons I like him and Ryan Moore---- Both have always marched to the beat of their own drummer- I have always done the same thing myself right or wrong

• Like 5