TESTERS WANTED! ×

Slow play on tour

I've seen in various threads complaints about slow play on tour when watching tv. If I'm watching a tournament in tv I don't care how fast or slow the play is. The various outlets will switch Bro another group if needed while waiting for a player to hit his shot. Tv coverage is going to be on to a certain time regardless of how long the players take to play and since it's nit affecting my time in the course it doesn't bother me while watching tv.

I get that what tour players do has an influence on the weekend golfer and their routine and maybe if players on tour picked up the pace it might help the weekend golfer, but in my experience slow players have no idea they are slow, so I'm not sure if nothing would change.

Why is watching tour players play a 5 hour round on yv such a bad thing for some viewers?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So, I've decided that slow play on tour is a defensive move for the slow players. You see DJ yesterday, his partners ball barely landed and he already hit and dunked it for eagle.

DJ, Tiger, Rory, Rickie, JT... they all play better at a faster pace.

Funny but this morning I had the european tour on tv and they were showing guys being timed on their play. There were some guys carrying tablets and following groups timing them.

I didn't pay much attention. Perhaps someone else noticed this and can add to the discussion.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Funny but this morning I had the european tour on tv and they were showing guys being timed on their play. There were some guys carrying tablets and following groups timing them.

I didn't pay much attention. Perhaps someone else noticed this and can add to the discussion.

Shot clock masters. First player has 50 seconds to hit and the rest have 30 (I think). They have been interviewing the players and the have indicated that it hasn't had much of an impact as they thought and possibly better focus since they know they have limited time to hit.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Shot clock masters. First player has 50 seconds to hit and the rest have 30 (I think). They have been interviewing the players and the have indicated that it hasn't had much of an impact as they thought and possibly better focus since they know they have limited time to hit.

I watched a little bit of it this morning.  I believe the 1st player in a group to hit has 50 seconds and the other two have 40 seconds.  I was amazed that the shot clock still had more than 20 seconds when most everyone hit their ball.  I heard that the fastest group was something like 3 hours 47 minutes.

I would be willing to bet that if they instituted that shot clock on the PGA Tour, play would speed up even if there was no penalty when the clock got to zero.  I think players would be more aware of their time and not want to be "That Guy".

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I watched a little bit of it this morning. I believe the 1st player in a group to hit has 50 seconds and the other two have 40 seconds. I was amazed that the shot clock still had more than 20 seconds when most everyone hit their ball. I heard that the fastest group was something like 3 hours 47 minutes.

I would be willing to bet that if they instituted that shot clock on the PGA Tour, play would speed up even if there was no penalty when the clock got to zero. I think players would be more aware of their time and not want to be "That Guy".

I would love to see the shot clock instituted! Baseball “purists” griped about some of the minor league initiatives to speed up play like a pitch clock, but I can vouch that they have made the games much more enjoyable to attend live here in the Texas summer heat.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I honestly don't get it. Find it, measure it, line it up and hit it. Anything else is overblown. Some guys on tour just look perplexed.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

IMO these guys on tour have been the best in high school, college, and the web. So more than likely they have had it be all about them, and never consider other golfers around them. Same with weekenders, either they just started playing and have the mentality “I've paid to play just like everyone else, and I'll take as much time as I want”. Or they've been playing for several years and feel like they should get more time on the course than the average joe. And then sometimes you have that d**k that just doesn't care about anyone but themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Have you guys been to a tournament? Really?

Slow play is not much of an issue on tour. Generally speaking they finish rounds in under 4 hours while playing the toughest courses in the world in the toughest possible conditions.

Its an issue on the courses most of us play because guys think they are on tour.

I'm going to start a thread - myths about golf. This will be on it.

BTW there will be slow play this week. You will see exactly what happens when guys choose the wrong tee because there will be a number of players in way over there head and they will slow down the entire field. It doesn't happen so much in a regular tour event though.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Have you guys been to a tournament? Really?

Slow play is not much of an issue on tour. Generally speaking they finish rounds in under 4 hours while playing the toughest courses in the world in the toughest possible conditions.

Its an issue on the courses most of us play because guys think they are on tour.

I'm going to start a thread - myths about golf. This will be on it.

BTW there will be slow play this week. You will see exactly what happens when guys choose the wrong tee because there will be a number of players in way over there head and they will slow down the entire field. It doesn't happen so much in a regular tour event though.

I teed to agree. There are some players that are slower than others. DJ mentioned in an interview yesterday about taking 5 hours as a 3 ball. I'm all about complaining about slow play on the course and while I dont want to try to rush I also don't want to have to wait on every shot on every hole.

What I don't get is people complaining about whatever the perceived slow play on tour while watching tv. 1) everyone knows tv coverage is going to be on til 6 or 7pm most weeks depending on location and time of year 2) if one is watching golf on tv they probably aren't going anywhere and again tv coverage is going to be on til a certain time.

Enjoy the golf on tv, where possible help those on the course thatcmsy not realize they are slow

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

It will be interesting to see how long rounds take at the US Open.  The last group has 3 hours 22 minutes to get through their first 9 so the first afternoon groups can hit of on time. Groups of 3 with 11 minute spacing. How does this compare to routine tour events?

I imagine the last group in the afternoon will finish somewhere around 8.00 pm, perhaps even later. I know conditions will be seriously tougher than for weekend golfers, but we have to find our own ball, carry our clubs and make our own decisions.

My club has 6 minute gaps, for groups of 4. This is probably a bit tight, especially for the morning field. PM fields get around in about 15-20 minutes less, nearly all made up on the 2nd nine after the morning players are finished. Average field size is 180, average Strokeplay round is 4 hrs 25 minutes, and less for Stableford or Par rounds. Everyone in the field is playing a competitive round, with all but a few playing off either back tees, or one set forward (daily tees a designated for competitions)

The feedback I heard from the Shot Clock Masters was that players moved quicker than normal to their ball, which gave them "extra" time as the shot clock didn't start until the green or fairway was clear. I love the idea of a shot clock, if players can't adapt to the rules, bad luck.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

A shot clock would also ratchet up the entertainment factor IMO.  I really like the idea of the Shot Clock Masters and hope that the success it had is copied more often.

Interesting note that DJ and BK completed their Sunday round in 4hrs and 10mins.  Not bad for a Major with pressure packed shots.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with the OP and others in that I really don't think the pace of tour play is an issue.  I've attended at least 30+ PGA events over my 57 years and find the pace just fine.  In fact, one might be quite surprised just how fast these groups move if you've never walked along with them. Sure, occasionally things get backed up (perhaps a lost ball or odd ruling), but not often.  I also really enjoy watching golf on TV and, again, find the pace just fine.

As for my own experiences on courses, I've rarely had major issues.  Sure, sometimes a group (sometimes my group) gets behind and we're either pushing a bit or being pushed a bit - but no big deal.  As situations warrant, either ask to (or offer to let) folks play through. IMO golf should not be a foot race.  I like a quick pace and try to play that way, but no at the expense of just enjoying the day.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I don't care about slow play on the Tour, as long as I never have to watch Patrick Cantlay shimmy his feet 27 times before every shot....

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

• 3 weeks later...

Patrick Cantlay, looked up at the target, down at the ball, waggled, 11 times, while Nick Faldo counted and told jokes.  

This was just while he was addressing the ball, not counting the time leading up to that.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Patrick Cantlay, looked up at the target, down at the ball, waggled, 11 times, while Nick Faldo counted and told jokes.  

This was just while he was addressing the ball, not counting the time leading up to that.  

I don't recall the exact numbers but I timed him during a broadcast from the time he first set the club behind the ball until impact. As I recall, 20-30 seconds was pretty "normal" for him, which seemed insanely long to me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I don't recall the exact numbers but I timed him during a broadcast from the time he first set the club behind the ball until impact. As I recall, 20-30 seconds was pretty "normal" for him, which seemed insanely long to me.

Considering a player has 40 seconds to make a swing he's under that.

But to the topic of the thread why is it an issue when it's pros on tv where coverage is going to last until a predetermined time that anyone watching on tv knows what the time will be?

Considering a player has 40 seconds to make a swing he's under that.

But to the topic of the thread why is it an issue when it's pros on tv where coverage is going to last until a predetermined time that anyone watching on tv knows what the time will be?

Is the time really from address to impact? If not, that leaves a guy like Cantlay 10-20 seconds to figure out yardage and target.

I don't really care when the TV ends, as long as they show the end (only once have I been burned by having pause time on my TV and they finished the broadcast on the Golf Channel so I missed the end). I also have no issue with them taking time if the situation warrants it, but I don't want to watch a player and caddie spend a couple minutes discussing the yardage and target, start pre-shot routine, change mind on club, confirm yardage and target, address the ball, a 3 mph puff of wind causes him to step back and start all over again.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Is the time really from address to impact? If not, that leaves a guy like Cantlay 10-20 seconds to figure out yardage and target.

I don't really care when the TV ends, as long as they show the end (only once have I been burned by having pause time on my TV and they finished the broadcast on the Golf Channel so I missed the end). I also have no issue with them taking time if the situation warrants it, but I don't want to watch a player and caddie spend a couple minutes discussing the yardage and target, start pre-shot routine, change mind on club, confirm yardage and target, address the ball, a 3 mph puff of wind causes him to step back and start all over again.

Iirc it's 60 seconds for the first player to execute once arriving at the ball and 40-45 for the second player and since they are usually relatively close the second guy gets roughly the same time.

I think all the golf broadcasts do a good job of cutting away from slow golf and cut back and forth between live and replays (granted all could show more golf and less vignettes and stuff). When I'm watching golf I don't care how long it takes them to execute a shot because 1) I'm not going anywhere 2) illl see most good shots or missed putts viacuts to replay or live shots 3) I'm watching to see their routines, swings and reactions

• 2 months later...

I noticed during the Ryder Cup and the Tour Championship, Rory Mcilroy was doing a lot of looking up and down like Cantlay does before pulling the trigger.  

I never noticed that from him in the past; but, I was not really paying attention. 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Archived