First unofficial MGS Hard Rock Challenge

Our Sponsors

Here are my rocks for this afternoon....

attachicon.gifIMG_20180605_0908031.jpg

I was tempted to bust out my Burner Bubble Driver, 3W, and Ping Zing2 putter so I could be more "period-correct" with the age of some of these balls, but it is league night and I don't want to handicap myself more than I have to. I have sucked pretty hard most league nights, so maybe it would have been a good thing?

An XL 3000? It is clearly a full 1000 better than the 2000 and about 990 ahead of it's time!

I'm curious who takes the time to put green dots on a Pinnacle?

So funny I just spit-up on my monitor screen!

• Like 3

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You boys will never believe what came in the mail today!!!   Thanks @JohnSmalls for putting it all on.     Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How many times have you read on this site, "The key to scoring is to first keep it in play." or something to that effect?  (Okay, put your hands down and continue to read.)   First, I went to the do

Got thunder-stormed out last night, but played hooky this afternoon and took advantage of the extra time and great weather to pull this challenge off! Wound up hitting a track called Boise Ranch and p

Posted Images

Yup! Got it covered!

IMG_20180604_225603082_LL.jpg

From left-to-right:

• Top Flite XL2000...CHECK!
  • Pinnacle Gold...CHECK!
  • ULTRA…CHECK!
  • Nike MOJO...CHECK!
  • (wildcard selection) Crossfire C02 "NITRO"...CHECK!
I should lose these within 10-minutes of being teed up...I hope... :huh:

Heading out Wednesday (errr, maybe Thursday, we'll see) to do nine at Indian Lakes after work with these roundish bricks. Funny thing is that I had these ALL in my new range bucket that I've started collecting from the course in lieu of using my original DSG Top Flite D2+ X-Outs which I've already relegated to the dust bin... :blink: Sometimes I HATE learning things from you guys...My new range bucket now has less than half of what I had started with... :P

Will advise...

Indian Lakes, where's that located? Is that in Dowagiac, Michigan?

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Looking forward in seeing the results coming from the pictures of these finely sculpted spheres.  Side note, I didn't realize top flight made a titanium XL. Is there any difference between those and the regular XLs other than the stamping?

• Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Well, here's yesterday's front 9 lineup. I'll try to spare you all the gory details but let's just say it was super ugly, and that's coming from a guy whose game is always ugly. I came to the conclusion yesterday that if cost is an issue for people taking up the game, this is one area they just can't skimp. I don't know how anyone could enjoy chasing these around, even if they were inexperienced. Oh, and for the record, it was 52 on the front. In order...(the first three were mercifully sacrificed during play, the fourth was tossed by hand into the pond by the 9th green.)attachicon.gif0604181303-01.jpegattachicon.gif0604181330-01.jpegattachicon.gif0604181352_HDR-01.jpegattachicon.gif0604181413-01.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is your current handicap?

• Like 1

SkyCaddie SX400

Indian Lakes, where's that located? Is that in Dowagiac, Michigan?

No Sir, here in Boise, Idaho. We also have a club named Quail Hollow which can be confusing too

• Like 2

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

I need a ruling.  Went digging in the garage and came up with unopened boxes of golf balls.  I don't even remember getting them.  They may have been a prize somewhere and my wife picked them up.  I have never played these balls and don't know anything about them.  Would either of these qualify for the Hard Rock Challenge, or shall I keep digging?

IMG_0897.jpg

EDIT:  Anyone want what's left over?

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I took the hard rock challenge!

Did you?

So I started out with the XL 3000. How could I not when it is a full 1000 better than the 2000? After summarily dumping that in a pond on the 4th hole, I switched to the equally bada$$ Pinnacle Gold which stayed with me until the 9th hole, when I lost it and a newer Pinnacle - yes, I lost 3 balls in 9 holes and I'm a little sensitive about it. ;)

Off the tee and with full shots, I didn't notice much difference in performance, which I assume says more about me than the ball. With that being said, I think my hands are still vibrating from a couple off the toe of long irons.

The biggest difference, and it was astoundingly big, was touch shots around the green - the rocks did not "spring" off the club like I am accustomed to. They sort of fell off the face with a thud. I had one that I only needed to carry over about 4 feet of rough and land in the fringe. I'm very confident I put a decent swing on the ball (for a good ball). It made a terrible sound and plopped back into the rough about 3 feet in front of me.

Putting was also weird - it sounded like I was putting a billiard ball, but I made a ton of 8-10 footers (which I needed to because I was long on a lot of first putts). I ended up with 14 putts for 9 holes, so The round could have been even more disastrous.

Honestly, I feel like my score does not match how I was hitting the ball (a 9 on the last hole with 2 balls OB doesn't help).

FINAL SCORE: 51 (18 Birdies says my handicap has ballooned to 18 for a full round). Par is 35 for the nine we played.

I really had fun with his challenge and think it was a great idea. I'll be monitoring this thread with great interest!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

I need a ruling. Went digging in the garage and came up with unopened boxes of golf balls. I don't even remember getting them. They may have been a prize somewhere and my wife picked them up. I have never played these balls and don't know anything about them. Would either of these qualify for the Hard Rock Challenge, or shall I keep digging?

attachicon.gifIMG_0897.jpg

EDIT: Anyone want what's left over?

My personal opinion is anything that contains the word "explosive" on the package qualifies, but that's just me.

• Like 5

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

My personal opinion is anything that contains the word "explosive" on the package qualifies, but that's just me.

Ha Ha, I agree! This thread is pure (Pinnacle) Gold!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Driver Graphite Design AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - AW)  KBS Tour 130x

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

or new and improved?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

What is your current handicap?

I'm playing a solid 27 at the moment.  You had to make me admit it, didn't you??

• Like 5

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:cleveland-small: Halo 3h

PGF Southpaw 7W

:ping-small:  Eye 2  5-SW  or

:wilson-small: C200 5 - AW

:cleveland-small:  Oil Can 56* and 60*

:rife-putters-1:  2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Cant...stop...laughing....!!!!

• Like 1

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

OK, I have a tee-time set for Thursday after work at 1800. Oven mitts and catchers gear is "in-the bag"... :wacko:

I'll see you all on the other side...God bless, good luck and may the Golf Gods have mercy on my sorry-ass soul...

P.S.: I don't need this stress on a Tuesday!!! :blink:

• Like 1

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

DDH qualifies as far as I'm concerned. I remember getting excited when I found them as a 16 year old.

• Like 5

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I too am likely to get out for a quick 9 tomorrow. I'm also going to make some changes to the bag, going a bit more period specific for when I used these balls in the past. I think I'll be changing out my clubs for a near original set of stuff I used to run. Should be interesting.

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

Well, played nine holes walking with the guys at my club. I pulled the cellophane off the 15-pack of Dunlop DDH balls, opened a sleeve and marked my ball. Only reason is that I use a red T on the ball to align tee shots and putts.

Our front nine is a par 37 and shot 41 with 3 bogeys, 1 double and a chip-in birdie. I had 3 birdie putts that I missed.

My comments about the Dunlop DDH? Felt horrible off the driver and putter. I especially didn't like it when putting. Not the spin around the green that I am used to. All of my bad shots though we're not because of the ball. I would have made them with any ball. Here's the ball after nine holes. Looks as good as new except my red T has worn off a little.

IMG_0898.JPG

BTW, I have 29 brand new DDH balls and one slightly used one if anyone is interested. Plays great!! Sorta.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, played nine holes walking with the guys at my club. I pulled the cellophane off the 15-pack of Dunlop DDH balls, opened a sleeve and marked my ball. Only reason is that I use a red T on the ball to align tee shots and putts.

Our front nine is a par 37 and shot 41 with 3 bogeys, 1 double and a chip-in birdie. I had 3 birdie putts that I missed.

My comments about the Dunlop DDH? Felt horrible off the driver and putter. I especially didn't like it when putting. Not the spin around the green that I am used to. All of my bad shots though we're not because of the ball. I would have made them with any ball. Here's the ball after nine holes. Looks as good as new except my red T has worn off a little.

attachicon.gifIMG_0898.JPG

BTW, I have 29 brand new DDH balls and one slightly used one if anyone is interested. Plays great!! Sorta.

Kenny coming in low!  Well played, I'll get the DDH and the other ball you found added to the "conforming list".  Handicap still an 8? 

• Like 1

SkyCaddie SX400

If finding them excited you as a teenager, say no more.  Hard Rock seal of approval.  

DDH qualifies as far as I'm concerned. I remember getting excited when I found them as a 16 year old.

• Like 1

SkyCaddie SX400

I'm playing a solid 27 at the moment.  You had to make me admit it, didn't you??

Nothing to be ashamed of.  Tiger would have been competitive with you and me as a 3 year old.

• Like 1

SkyCaddie SX400

Not sure I could commit to this one though. I did find a Nitro ball the other round. Plus a TopFlight BOMB. May try it out this weekend

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX