JohnSmalls

First unofficial MGS Hard Rock Challenge

8 hours ago, Ronoc said:

Same here, especially towers the end when Nike was getting out of the hard goods business. I was really starting to get into golf then and a case (24) were always on sale. Got them as gifts since it was a reasonable option and I was also loosing balls like it was my job.

Could never get the distance and control I wanted out of them once I fine tuned my game a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I know what you mean. Thankfully my home course is very open so the parallel fairways can be your friend, but I lost many mojos and various other pearls when I first started. 

13 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Imagine having the best ball-striking round of your life and still needing an entire sleeve to finish, because they'd get lopsided and wobble on the greens. That's balata. 

At the club where I worked as a kid, the caddies had a local rule that you could putt with a different ball so you could use the same ball for more than 4 holes. 

A fairway bunker meant a cut ball unless you could pure it. 

The way that was starting I was thinking of a great day on the course and then realized it was a nothing but a dream. I am pretty sure I would go flat broke playing balata. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

The way that was starting I was thinking of a great day on the course and then realized it was a nothing but a dream. I am pretty sure I would go flat broke playing balata. 

Yeah, the pro at our club used to throw all his "gently used" balls into his shag bag and let us grab some when it was getting too full.  Unlike most club pros, he played several times a week with the members and played in most of the section events, the NJ state open, the Met open and the PGA Professional Championship (even made it to the PGA once or twice).  So at 5-6 balls a round, he always had plenty of leftovers.

• Like 1

Hey Ping, I was watching the Tom & Jerry golf. Idea that you posted and it reminded me of an incident that occurred this past Tuesday . One of the guys 8n my group teed off , hitting the Gold wooden tee marker just 3 yards in front of him. His ball careemed backwards landing about 30 yards behind him.........We laughed for 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

And we are officially less than a month and a half away from MGS Hard Rock Challenge 2019.  Mark your calendars and get your bag of rocks ready!

• Like 4

I found most of these in my basement while cleaning this winter, the Raws I "won" in our league last year. I am soooo ready for this years' challenge. 

20190420_190343.thumb.jpg.10257134d99576cec748c7a057999ee4.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 7:06 PM, MaxEntropy said:

I found most of these in my basement while cleaning this winter, the Raws I "won" in our league last year. I am soooo ready for this years' challenge. 

Nothing says first place like Pinnacle Gold!

• Like 3

On ‎04‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:06 PM, MaxEntropy said:

I am too! I was just complaining a bit about the sound my new G410 makes with range balls a few days ago, and seeing this is making me wonder what awful sounds I will experience with some real rocks..! Can't wait to ****** about that!!!😝

P.S. you got some real stinkers there! Do you need to borrow some protective equipment?🤪 I'd suggest wearing a cup at minimum...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I'd suggest wearing a cup at minimum...

LOL. I was considering a bedazzled cod piece. I would think that would be sufficient. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/18/2019 at 8:16 AM, JohnSmalls said:

And we are officially less than a month and a half away from MGS Hard Rock Challenge 2019.  Mark your calendars and get your bag of rocks ready!

After reading this thread I'm excited for this year's challenge. I KNOW I've got some garbage between my shag bag and my "found balls" pocket on my carry bag. I'll get pictures tonight, but I think I have some Wilson Eco balls "made from recycled tires."

#Can'tWait 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, forerightgolfer said:

After reading this thread I'm excited for this year's challenge. I KNOW I've got some garbage between my shag bag and my "found balls" pocket on my carry bag. I'll get pictures tonight, but I think I have some Wilson Eco balls "made from recycled tires."

#Can'tWait 

Rocks.jpg

• Like 3