Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf in Honolulu

I live here on Oahu and have played every course available to the public as well as a couple private clubs.  This a quick top five courses to play on Oahu.  Since Hawaii is a tourist destination you really have to plan for some pretty long rounds.  5 plus hours is not out of the norm.  During the week you might get out in 4 plus.  

1.  Ewa (pronounced EEVA) Beach Golf Course -  This is my favorite.  Great layout, challenging but not overwhelming, always well groomed, greens roll true, staff is professional, new carts with GPS.

2.  Turtle Bay Palmer Course - Beautify layout and extremely well maintained.  Wind blows quit a bit so be prepared.  Greens are large and undulating.  Not your typical resort course so don't expect the posh treatment.  The tend to pace start times well.  I've never been pushed nor have I had to wait long behind a group in front.  The drive is long from Waikiki but if you make the trip from the Windward side it is a slow but scenic drive.  

3.  Ko'oalau Golf Course -  The most incredible layout on the island.  This course use to be rated the number hardest public course in the US.  The key is to bring a lot of balls and just keep things in perspective.  You are most likely going to shoot 10 over your handicap.  The course is very poorly maintained.  It is almost like backyard golf in heaven.  

4.  Ko Olina Golf Resort- This is a nice course very well maintained.  The staff is courteous and professional.  Home of the LPGA Lotte Open it is challenging if the pins are placed in tournament locations.  Great opportunity to pit yourself against the LPGAs best.  

5.  Navy Marine Golf Course - The second most played course on the island.  I enjoy it because its close to the house, the layout is extremely friendly, and its relatively easy to get on because the staff will work you in if they can.  The greens are super fast but true.  The course is well maintained.  Rounds can be quit long because quit a few seniors call this their home course.  

If you have specific questions please feel free to ask.  

Have fun......

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I live here on Oahu and have played every course available to the public as well as a couple private clubs.  This a quick top five courses to play on Oahu.  Since Hawaii is a tourist destination you really have to plan for some pretty long rounds.  5 plus hours is not out of the norm.  During the week you might get out in 4 plus.  

1.  Ewa (pronounced EEVA) Beach Golf Course -  This is my favorite.  Great layout, challenging but not overwhelming, always well groomed, greens roll true, staff is professional, new carts with GPS.

2.  Turtle Bay Palmer Course - Beautify layout and extremely well maintained.  Wind blows quit a bit so be prepared.  Greens are large and undulating.  Not your typical resort course so don't expect the posh treatment.  The tend to pace start times well.  I've never been pushed nor have I had to wait long behind a group in front.  The drive is long from Waikiki but if you make the trip from the Windward side it is a slow but scenic drive.  

3.  Ko'oalau Golf Course -  The most incredible layout on the island.  This course use to be rated the number hardest public course in the US.  The key is to bring a lot of balls and just keep things in perspective.  You are most likely going to shoot 10 over your handicap.  The course is very poorly maintained.  It is almost like backyard golf in heaven.  

4.  Ko Olina Golf Resort- This is a nice course very well maintained.  The staff is courteous and professional.  Home of the LPGA Lotte Open it is challenging if the pins are placed in tournament locations.  Great opportunity to pit yourself against the LPGAs best.  

5.  Navy Marine Golf Course - The second most played course on the island.  I enjoy it because its close to the house, the layout is extremely friendly, and its relatively easy to get on because the staff will work you in if they can.  The greens are super fast but true.  The course is well maintained.  Rounds can be quit long because quit a few seniors call this their home course.  

Have fun......

Great write-up. The next time I'm over there I will use this as a reference for sure-Thanks!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I have played all of those while stationed on Oahu from 01 to 09. I agree with you assessment. Great write up. I miss that place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My wife and I went to Oahu for our honeymoon and played at the Hawaii Prince golf club in Ewa Beach. We had a great experience and the course was beautiful. Good thing I don't live over there or else I'd be golfing every day!

Sent from my SM-G930P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

MagnoliaGolf
Insta: @Magnolia.Golf https://goo.gl/wgQ9ia

Twitter: @Magnolia_Golf

:titelist-small:915 D3 9.5°, 915 F 15°, 915 H 21°
:titelist-small: AP2 716 4-PW, Standard Lie, Length, Steel Project X LZ 6.0
BombTech Grenade 52°, 56°, 60°
:nike-small:MethodCore 3i, Superstroke Pistol GTR 2.0

:nike-small:RZN Black (Until my supply runs out)

Right Handed
Atlanta
Avg Score: ≈ 87

I agree Hawaii Prince is a nice layout and the have 27 holes so if you play there quit a bit you can get a little variance.  I did forget one course which is a private course but you can get on is Hoakalei Golf Club.  This is a Ernie Els design and from my understanding he always makes tough layouts with bunkers in all the strategic locations.  It is a very difficult course for me.  I play to a 3 handicap and that course beats my A!

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Been on Island for 3 months now. Have played 3 of the five. Hitting Ewa this Sunday. Thanks for the info

Ewa (EBGC) is a client of ours and probably the nicest course for the price IMO. Aside from a few courses on island, the average Kama`aina (local) rate is $60-65 and of that bunch of courses in the price range, EBGC is hands down my favorite. Not quite as nice to look at as Kapolei, but the price makes it more attractive to me.

I agree Hawaii Prince is a nice layout and the have 27 holes so if you play there quit a bit you can get a little variance.  I did forget one course which is a private course but you can get on is Hoakalei Golf Club.  This is a Ernie Els design and from my understanding he always makes tough layouts with bunkers in all the strategic locations.  It is a very difficult course for me.  I play to a 3 handicap and that course beats my A!

Hoakalei might be the longest course on island. I played with the pro over there in a fundraiser tourney, guy is a BEAST. Excited to see what their new clubhouse is going to look like when it's finally finished.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Ewa (EBGC) is a client of ours and probably the nicest course for the price IMO. Aside from a few courses on island, the average Kama`aina (local) rate is $60-65 and of that bunch of courses in the price range, EBGC is hands down my favorite. Not quite as nice to look at as Kapolei, but the price makes it more attractive to me.

Hoakalei might be the longest course on island. I played with the pro over there in a fundraiser tourney, guy is a BEAST. Excited to see what their new clubhouse is going to look like when it's finally finished.

Looks like we have 3 Spy's on the Island. Let's try to get out soon!

Any info on Waialae CC?

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

Any info on Waialae CC?

Have you played Waialae CC? I've always wanted to play there, but never have.

Waialae is the most exclusive CC on island. Only the 1% of the 1% are golfing members, the capital required and amount of member references you need keep us normal folks out.

• 5 weeks later...

Have you played Mid Pacific over in Kailua? I really enjoyed the front 9 when I played there a couple of years ago, not super challenging but definitely some picturesque holes.

yes I've played there once with a MGS member. The front nine and back nine are almost two completely different course. It's a well managed well kept course all around.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

• 3 years later...
On 6/4/2018 at 9:45 AM, SteddyGolf said:

Have fun......

Very helpful!

11 minutes ago, PatrickInLA said:

Very helpful!

Just FYI, this thread is super old and that post is outdated, lol.

Koolau is closed permanently. If you have any questions, feel free to ask

On 5/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, yungkory said:

Just FYI, this thread is super old and that post is outdated, lol.

Koolau is closed permanently. If you have any questions, feel free to ask

What's your current favorite course?

5 hours ago, PatrickInLA said:

What's your current favorite course?

Well, I live here so the appeal of some courses is lost on me.

The most well-kept course is probably Koolina so I like playing there. It's a resort so if you've played golf at other resorts then you probably won't be very impressed.

If you want something that you're not going to find everywhere else, Royal Hawaiian. The "Jurassic Park" course that everyone posts and talks about.

If you can get on base, play Klipper at Kaneohe MCB. Maintained decently, but you won't get those views on the 13th at any other course on Oahu.

On 6/4/2018 at 12:45 PM, SteddyGolf said:

Have fun......

I played Ko Olina Golf Resort around 15-18 years ago. It was a very nice golf course and I enjoyed it. Michelle Wie practiced and played there. She was on the range hitting balls when I teed off and on the putting green when I finished. I walked over to take a picture from a distance and her Dad starting screaming at me. He was a complete A hole....

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 4:52 AM, yungkory said:

The most well-kept course is probably Koolina so I like playing there. It's a resort so if you've played golf at other resorts then you probably won't be very impressed.

If you want something that you're not going to find everywhere else, Royal Hawaiian. The "Jurassic Park" course that everyone posts and talks about.

If you can get on base, play Klipper at Kaneohe MCB. Maintained decently, but you won't get those views on the 13th at any other course on Oahu.

I was stationed at Hickam from '95 to '00.  Played quite a few courses on the island.  Never hit Ko'olina.

I'll be there on July 28th.  Should be there for about a week.  Any chance you'd be up for a round (or a couple)?

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

1 hour ago, puttnfool said:

I was stationed at Hickam from '95 to '00.  Played quite a few courses on the island.  Never hit Ko'olina.

I'll be there on July 28th.  Should be there for about a week.  Any chance you'd be up for a round (or a couple)?

On 5/28/2022 at 5:52 AM, yungkory said:

We booked a week in February about a month ago and a day later my wife says, why don’t you bring your clubs?

Last time was honeymoon on Kauai and I didn’t think of it. This time I absolutely will take her up on it. 

So here’s my questions…is it reasonable for a single to expect to get out on somewhere like Royal Hawaiian?

Should I look elsewhere to play?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, puttnfool said:

DM me when you get here and we'll see. Just had a baby in October so I'm not playing much, but could possibly get out to play. @mr.hicksta is coming in July as well so maybe it'll lineup and we can all get out for a round

5 minutes ago, yungkory said:

DM me when you get here and we'll see. Just had a baby in October so I'm not playing much, but could possibly get out to play. @mr.hicksta is coming in July as well so maybe it'll lineup and we can all get out for a round

It'll line up.  My kid is on the same ship as hicksta.  I'm meeting them to ride back to San Diego.

Edited by puttnfool

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

32 minutes ago, bens197 said:

We booked a week in February about a month ago and a day later my wife says, why don’t you bring your clubs?

Last time was honeymoon on Kauai and I didn’t think of it. This time I absolutely will take her up on it. 

So here’s my questions…is it reasonable for a single to expect to get out on somewhere like Royal Hawaiian?

Should I look elsewhere to play?

I absolutely despise Royal Hawaiian, and you'll have no issue getting a tee time because no one ever plays there lol. Play Koolina or Kapolei, imo

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

I absolutely despise Royal Hawaiian, and you'll have no issue getting a tee time because no one ever plays there lol. Play Koolina or Kapolei, imo

I’ll pm you later I have more questions 😊

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 6/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, yungkory said:

Maybe? MAYBE? Gonna need you to be a bit more certain playa!!! 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

23 hours ago, bens197 said:

I’ll pm you later I have more questions 😊

Agree 100% with @yungkoryon Royal Hawaii. You'll get good pics, but there are other courses that are better in every aspect. Kapolei, Ko'Olina and Ewa Beach Golf Club are easily better options. And if you know any active duty military on the island, Kaneohe Klipper on the Marine Base is a lot of fun as well!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

47 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

Agree 100% with @yungkoryon Royal Hawaii. You'll get good pics, but there are other courses that are better in every aspect. Kapolei, Ko'Olina and Ewa Beach Golf Club are easily better options. And if you know any active duty military on the island, Kaneohe Klipper on the Marine Base is a lot of fun as well!

Thanks fellas. I did speak with @yungkoryand Ko’Olina looks like the winner. 

Plus, the ladybug logo is a bonus. I’ve called my daughter ladybug since the day she was born (there was one in the OB room during labor) and this will be the first trip she makes to Hawaii. 

Im excited, thanks for sharing your thoughts. They certainly helped!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 weeks later...

@yungkory@mr.hicksta why, when talking of military courses on Oahu does Mamala Bay not get any love?  I hear the arguments for Klipper, but I also hear many people recommending Navy-Marine, too, before Mamala Bay.  Is it just because it's easier to access since it's not on base?

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

6 hours ago, puttnfool said:

@yungkory@mr.hicksta why, when talking of military courses on Oahu does Mamala Bay not get any love?  I hear the arguments for Klipper, but I also hear many people recommending Navy-Marine, too, before Mamala Bay.  Is it just because it's easier to access since it's not on base?

Mamala isn't as well taken care of, IMO. Plus it's always mega effin windy when I've ever played there. The 16th or 17th hole, can't remember exactly what number, long par 3. When that thing is playing into the wind and it's up, I've come up short with 5w before -- it's nuts. Overall, it's a decent track, and the second hole right on the water is cool.

Navy Marine is more fun, can't really explain why. Maybe because it's easier? It's fairly flat, straight forward. Just seems like it wasn't designed to fist you. Still requires you to hit shots, but it's not overly hard?