TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf in Honolulu

On 6/22/2022 at 10:58 AM, puttnfool said:

@yungkory@mr.hicksta why, when talking of military courses on Oahu does Mamala Bay not get any love?  I hear the arguments for Klipper, but I also hear many people recommending Navy-Marine, too, before Mamala Bay.  Is it just because it's easier to access since it's not on base?

On 6/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, yungkory said:

Mamala isn't as well taken care of, IMO. Plus it's always mega effin windy when I've ever played there. The 16th or 17th hole, can't remember exactly what number, long par 3. When that thing is playing into the wind and it's up, I've come up short with 5w before -- it's nuts. Overall, it's a decent track, and the second hole right on the water is cool.

Navy Marine is more fun, can't really explain why. Maybe because it's easier? It's fairly flat, straight forward. Just seems like it wasn't designed to fist you. Still requires you to hit shots, but it's not overly hard?

@yungkorypretty much nailed it. It’s a solid layout, but the conditions have always been mediocre. I do think accessibility plays into it not being as popular too. You have to have base access and it’s all the way on the back end of the base. And it’s almost always windy out there.

Navy Marine is an easier layout, but it’s in better condition and it’s easier to get to. I heard at one point it was one of the most played courses on Oahu, which makes sense given the location. 

Kilpper has its rep for holes 13-15, period. Conditions are decent, but the layout is not anything special. I mean the 18th hole is a par 3 🙄😂.

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

On 6/10/2022 at 5:48 AM, mr.hicksta said:

Agree 100% with @yungkoryon Royal Hawaii. You'll get good pics, but there are other courses that are better in every aspect. Kapolei, Ko'Olina and Ewa Beach Golf Club are easily better options. And if you know any active duty military on the island, Kaneohe Klipper on the Marine Base is a lot of fun as well!

Any recommendations for inland/jungle type courses besides Royal Hawaii? I've got other rounds lined up on the beach on the big island at mauna kea and waikaloa, so was trying to find something a little different. Thanks!

PXG 0811 X Driver
PXG 4th gen 2i
Callaway big bertha 3h
PXG 2nd gen 4i-GW
Vokey sm6 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, Kwalks said:

Any recommendations for inland/jungle type courses besides Royal Hawaii? I've got other rounds lined up on the beach on the big island at mauna kea and waikaloa, so was trying to find something a little different. Thanks!

Royal Hawaiian is the only course that offers that 'Jurassic Park' feel on Oahu. The Ocean Course on Kauai has a good mix of inland and costal holes, but not on the same level of RH. @yungkoryyou know of any others? 

Now that Koolau is gone, nope. Maybe Bay View but that's not real golf. It's like a par 52 and in horrible shape all the time.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

On 6/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, mr.hicksta said:

@yungkorypretty much nailed it. It’s a solid layout, but the conditions have always been mediocre. I do think accessibility plays into it not being as popular too. You have to have base access and it’s all the way on the back end of the base. And it’s almost always windy out there.

Navy Marine is an easier layout, but it’s in better condition and it’s easier to get to. I heard at one point it was one of the most played courses on Oahu, which makes sense given the location. 

Kilpper has its rep for holes 13-15, period. Conditions are decent, but the layout is not anything special. I mean the 18th hole is a par 3 🙄😂.

Yeah, I've never been fond of par 3 18th holes. 

I can agree about the course being fast back out of the way and Navy being easily accessible. 

I'm hoping to get in 5-6 rounds while I'm there.  Just trying to narrow down where. 

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

We went Navy Marine yesterday, it's in pretty rough shape. They're not watering because of water conservation, but I think it's because they've (Navy) been leaking fuel into the water supply recently and that stuffs basically poison

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

15 hours ago, puttnfool said:

Yeah, I've never been fond of par 3 18th holes. 

I can agree about the course being fast back out of the way and Navy being easily accessible. 

I'm hoping to get in 5-6 rounds while I'm there.  Just trying to narrow down where. 

In no particular order I would play Ko'Olina, Kapolei, Ewa Beach, Turtle Bay Palmer Course, Klipper and Navy Marine. I'm playing a best ball tourney at Mamala Bay on Wednesday and I haven't been by the course yet since I've been back so I can't comment on the conditions just yet. But if they're playing the water 'conservation' aka not going to water the course with fuel tainted water game, then I suspect it'll be somewhat dry. And of course it will be windy!

Another update. I played Mamala Bay yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at the conditions. The greens were rolling great, too! If you have a way to get on base, it's worth checking out. 

Last update for this trip. I played Klipper and had a terrible round, but the course conditions were solid. The greens were a bit slow and it was SUPER windy but overall it's worth playing if you have the means to get on base!

Last night I started reading google reviews (what a vortex of bonkers) of courses on Oahu.  @yungkoryrecommended Ko’Olina which looks great and will likely be where I end up going in February when I visit.  

There were several others that look good but I like the ladybug…It’s truly fascinating to read others’ experiences while visiting.  This is more of an observation than anything else.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I can see why some hate Royal Hawaiian but I found it so unique and beautiful I think its a must play at least once.  The course conditions aren’t great and you are going to lose balls that are hit well and some holes are just a crazy layout but you do feel like you're

in Jurassic Park and that was very fun.  Just leave golf expectations home and go there for fun with a bunch of crappy balls. 

Driver Ping 410+ w/  TENSI orange 60 shaft stiff

Ping 3W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 5W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 4 Hybrid orange shaft stiff

Taylormade 790 5 -A irons w/ Aerotech Steelfiber I 95 stiff shafts

Titliest Wedges  SM7 - 54.14 F grind, 58.10 S grind 

Ping Ketcsh Putter

Arccos Sensors

Spoiler

So just got back from the trip and ended up playing Royal Hawaiian, Kahuku muni, and Mauna Kea.

If you've played Royal Hawaiian multiple times, I can see why you wouldn't go back too much. I'd highly recommend for anyone visiting and looking for something for different. I wouldn't expect to score well and you'll lose a ton of balls, but it really is playing golf in a jungle.

Kahuku is up on the northeast part of the island and 9 hole muni. I think it was $30 for out of towners to walk it and the conditions reflect that, but the views were still pretty awesome. Its actually on the beach, so had a ton of wind coming off the water. Not much trouble and massive fairways definitely made me feel good about the game after Royal Hawaiian. Bonus is that its right next to a bunch of the shrimp trucks, which was my fiance's favorite part.

Finished off with Mauna Kea on the big island. The views were other worldly. Was a little disappointed with the conditions of the greens given the price, but everything else was great. Had no one around too, so played by ourselves and could go at our own pace.

Happy to go into more detail if anyone has any questions or is curious about any of the courses

PXG 0811 X Driver
PXG 4th gen 2i
Callaway big bertha 3h
PXG 2nd gen 4i-GW
Vokey sm6 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

• 7 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 12:29 AM, mr.hicksta said:

Royal Hawaiian is the only course that offers that 'Jurassic Park' feel on Oahu. The Ocean Course on Kauai has a good mix of inland and costal holes, but not on the same level of RH. @yungkoryyou know of any others? 

Headed to Honolulu in a couple of weeks. Trying to decide between the following:

Ko Olina

Ewa

Kapolei

Hawaii Prince

Say pricing is all the same, which course are you picking if you are to only choose 1? Also must note I am from Ohio so really anything will impress me lol

WITB 2023

Driver- Mizuno STZ-220 

Woods: 3w- PXG 0211, 5w- Mizuno STZ

Utility- PXG GEN5 Driving Iron 20*, Srixon ZX Utility 23*

Irons- Srixon ZX7 6-PW, Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges- Callaway Jaws MD5 50, 54, 58

Putter- Taymorlade Spider S Chalk 

Ball- Srixon Z-Star XV

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 12:45 PM, SteddyGolf said:

I live here on Oahu and have played every course available to the public as well as a couple private clubs.  This a quick top five courses to play on Oahu.  Since Hawaii is a tourist destination you really have to plan for some pretty long rounds.  5 plus hours is not out of the norm.  During the week you might get out in 4 plus.  

1.  Ewa (pronounced EEVA) Beach Golf Course -  This is my favorite.  Great layout, challenging but not overwhelming, always well groomed, greens roll true, staff is professional, new carts with GPS.

2.  Turtle Bay Palmer Course - Beautify layout and extremely well maintained.  Wind blows quit a bit so be prepared.  Greens are large and undulating.  Not your typical resort course so don't expect the posh treatment.  The tend to pace start times well.  I've never been pushed nor have I had to wait long behind a group in front.  The drive is long from Waikiki but if you make the trip from the Windward side it is a slow but scenic drive.  

3.  Ko'oalau Golf Course -  The most incredible layout on the island.  This course use to be rated the number hardest public course in the US.  The key is to bring a lot of balls and just keep things in perspective.  You are most likely going to shoot 10 over your handicap.  The course is very poorly maintained.  It is almost like backyard golf in heaven.  

4.  Ko Olina Golf Resort- This is a nice course very well maintained.  The staff is courteous and professional.  Home of the LPGA Lotte Open it is challenging if the pins are placed in tournament locations.  Great opportunity to pit yourself against the LPGAs best.  

5.  Navy Marine Golf Course - The second most played course on the island.  I enjoy it because its close to the house, the layout is extremely friendly, and its relatively easy to get on because the staff will work you in if they can.  The greens are super fast but true.  The course is well maintained.  Rounds can be quit long because quit a few seniors call this their home course.  

If you have specific questions please feel free to ask.  

Have fun......

Do you have any Maui suggestions? Also, any reputable renting clubs from?

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue Velocore 5S
  • :callaway-small: Callaway 4 Wood Stiff
  • :Sub70: 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 4-GW Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater
  • image.gif.1ef282d0e92fa71eedc2dd14b1005808.gif

1 hour ago, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

Do you have any Maui suggestions? Also, any reputable renting clubs from?

I’ve rented from the Maui Golf shop. They have all kinds of choices for clubs. All of us that rented from them were very happy with the sets we put together. They also can get some nice discounts on Maui courses.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

• 1 month later...

Played Koolina last time I was there in December and loved it. Was staying at the Disney Resort so it was only a 5 minute walk. Great facilities and rental gear. We visit Hawaii every 2-3 years so I'll have to check back and see what course I should play next. Played Princeville Makai in 2016 and that was an amazing course too. Just finished watching the Lotte Championship and Hoakalei. Looked beautiful and challenging but looks like it's also private, which is a bummer.

Honma XP-1s, Rad Speed, and my trusty Scotty Cameron Triple Black