Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shorter iron distance

Hello, 

For some reason my 9, PW, W are going short. I expect 10-15 yard increments. What I getting is a much shorter distance. The gap is 20-30 yards. Checked the loft on all the clubs and they are right on the correct loft. I am playing Titleist AP 1. I changed the shaft to the Fiber/Steel shafts. Recently, after considering the weight difference between Kuro Kage shafts and the Fiber/Steel shafts. So I increased the head weight two swing weights on the 9, pw, and w. The yardage increased. Still not up to my Pings.

Any suggestions or tip. I am ready to hear them. If all else fails, I bought a new bag to make the irons easier to sell.

Welcome aboard and I'm sure when you post your situation in the equipment thread you will get some great feedback. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Welcome to MGS from Metro-Detroit.

Hit up the equipment threads for suggestions. You'll find plenty of opinions from fellow spy's.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I mean this is a dumb question but I assume you've checked the lofts of both your lungs and AP1s to know they are the exact same as well? The yardage gap came after changing the shafts? Have you noticed a trajectory change?

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Sorry I am not understanding your post and, or questions:

For example, what is "9, PW, W" ? Is that a 9-iron and two wedges ?

And "I expect 10-15 yard increments"...... I think means you would like 10-15 yards of carry distance difference between the clubs. But in the next sentence you wrote "the gap is 20-30".......So, I am reading that the issue is your yardage gaps between clubs are larger than you expect or want.

But in the first sentence you write " 9, PW, W are going short".

Is your primary question/concern a lack of yardage with these clubs or is it the distance gap between these clubs ?

I think the second W should be GW or SW.  Assuming that,  the poster is saying that the 9 iron is 20-30 yards shorter than the 9 and the PW is 20-30 shorter than 9 and the W is 20-30 yard shorter than the PW.  The poster expects the difference to be 10-15 yards.

BTW to the OP welcome to MGS

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Welcome aboard!  Sounds like you are on the right track with the swingweight adjustments. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.

Why did you reshaft the AP1's?  And what was wrong with the Pings?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome

A shift to a stronger shaft could cause significantly can't yardage loss. Steel fibers is very generic. Which one? 110, 95,85? I have the 55 - which one do you have?

What flex? The tour guys are in S flex so if you have the 110's in S flex you may have way too much shaft in your irons.

This is why we should get fit.

No worries - I've done this before, it's why I don't do it now and it's taught me how to work eBay.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome aboard!

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

Welcome to MGS from the great PNW!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Archived