Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Can’t understand

robertson153

Someone please enlighten me. How in the world could I have a nice smooth swing with my driver, woods, and hybrids but not my irons? With my irons I seem to be coming over the top (or so I'm told) resulting in pulled shots and topping the ball. This has just recently appeared out of nowhere. It seems the more I try not to come over the top the more it shows its self. Is it a posture issue? Grip? Mental? Any advice would be appreciated. And remember I haven't always had this problem. Mainly the past 4-5 rounds.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

It's normally some simple thing. I would certainly run from any advice here beyond checking your basics. Run from us and straight to your pro.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Do you try to hit your irons harder than the other clubs? That was my problem

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I thought about that. Tried easing up a little, that's when the topping started.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

It's normally some simple thing. I would certainly run from any advice here beyond checking your basics. Run from us and straight to your pro.

Good luck

Thats good advice, except my pro is out of town for a couple of weeks. I know it's something simple, just can't place my finger on it.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

Let me clarify something. I'm not looking for one of you to tell me “This is your problem and you're doing this wrong” what I'm wanting is “I had this happen to me, and when it did, it was because of abc and I did xyz to correct it”. See what I'm getting at RP58? And the Tin Cup effect could work, that's why in my OP I asked could it be mental.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I'll echo the swing sentiment - I struggle with my 3W for the same reason: my brain.

:ping-small: G400MAX Driver 10.5* w/ Kuro Kage S

:callaway-small:  XR16 3W w/ MF AT S

:callaway-small:  XR OS 19* Hybrid w/ FS Evolution II 565

:titelist-small:  4-PW AP3 w/ TT AMT Black

:vokey-small:   SM6 50.8 F w/ TT Dynamic Gold

:callaway-small: MD3 56.12 W w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Tommy Armour Impacty Series #3 Alignment Putter

Ogio GROM Black

I was having that problem not to long ago myself, top & bottom of the bag was good.

For me my feet were to far apart with my irons.

Not to say that's your issue but, now I am not afraid to pull an iron out of the bag.

Hope you get it figured out, good luck.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Funny you mentioned posture as one of your possible issues. I've only just recently started to work on my posture and am focusing on a more upright, straight-back'ed set up and immediately have seen positive reusults. I'm pretty sure I have been hunched over and am beginning to see that particular "relaxed" position is NOT condusive to good ball striking. The second I started to straighten my spine, positive things began to happen. Perhaps this is a "flaw" for you too?

Keep at it and let us know what you find as being the culperit. Verrrrry curious here... ;)

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I thought about that. Tried easing up a little, that's when the topping started.

Blake

Like RP and rev said, this is pretty much guesswork. So take it with a grain of salt:

It is possible that the easing up is making your upper body lazy, thus not swinging through.

Try slowing down but focus on your weight shift and rotation.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Range time. Hybrid or 3w, 5 shots and grab an iron for 5 shots trying to copycat the 3w/hybrid swing. Or the tempo of the swing whatever you think is the reason. Best bet is spend a day with a pro but if your anything like myself I like figuring it out on my own and if I can't do it my pro better clear his schedule

I still think it's more than likely a range ball issue. You will get an occasional flyer with them.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Like RP and rev said, this is pretty much guesswork. So take it with a grain of salt:

It is possible that the easing up is making your upper body lazy, thus not swinging through.

Try slowing down but focus on your weight shift and rotation.

I agree with this, because it's happened to me also. If i get too armsy and don't rotate enough, I come over the top and dig trenches with my irons. Without seeing your setup, swing, etc. it's tough to say any more because it could be a whole lot of things. Heck, it could even be that maybe your shoulders are starting to set up open. 

Good luck.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

You're describing two types of clubs that require two completely different styles of swing. Woods require a sweeping swing whereas irons are more vertical and downward. We don't take divots with woods right? (At least we're not supposed to 🤣)

You're telling us you make good contact with woods and hybrids yet you're pulling and topping irons.

Sounds like that woods swing has taken over.

Get some time with a professional and take a few lessons to straighten yourself out

Good luck!!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

. We don't take divots with woods right? (At least we're not supposed to 🤣)

That is a swing dynamics thing. I don't think taking a duvitnwith a wood is necessarily a bad thing. I will probably be shallow but you still have a downward angle of attack. Just like some players take a small divot with their irons. For example I recall hearing that Jason Day doesn't take large divots with his irons.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That is a swing dynamics thing. I don't think taking a duvitnwith a wood is necessarily a bad thing. I will probably be shallow but you still have a downward angle of attack. Just like some players take a small divot with their irons. For example I recall hearing that Jason Day doesn't take large divots with his irons.

I don't take divots with my irons either.

The point is that he seems to be stuck in a single plane swing for all clubs.

I would love to see a video with several clubs.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I don't take divots with my irons either.

The point is that he seems to be stuck in a single plane swing for all clubs.

I would love to see a video with several clubs.

I normally take a decent size divot with my irons when I'm striking it well. I also take a very small one with my 3 wood and hybrid. I'm headed out of town for a week, but when I get back if it's still happening I will take videos with 3 wood, hybrid, 6 iron, and a wedge.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

I'm the opposite. I'm so smooth with irons, wedges, hybrid. I do take a rip at my 3 wood but 8/10 time I smoke it. My driver is a different swing for me. I get so out of sync and lose posture and balance. I played 36 this weekend and hit about 4 fairways

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

When I have the issue of OTT I really try to concentrate on not letting my trail elbow fly out, I focus on keeping it close on the downswing, it's very difficult to go OTT if your trail elbow is tucked into your side. I really want to feel that so I exaggerate that feeling for a few swings, it's awkward feeling for a bit, but a bunch of swings with the elbow tucked inside and the feeling comes back. Anyway that's what I do with the OTT problem.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I usually take a little bit of ground with a 3w and Hybrids. I wouldn't call it a divot though. But swinging a club that I usually

Hit well like 3h 4h and I start work up 5i-Pw. Usually cures any swing issues. Of course until I play again and the scratch range player turns into a 20 handicap

Someone please enlighten me. How in the world could I have a nice smooth swing with my driver, woods, and hybrids but not my irons? With my irons I seem to be coming over the top (or so I'm told) resulting in pulled shots and topping the ball. This has just recently appeared out of nowhere. It seems the more I try not to come over the top the more it shows its self. Is it a posture issue? Grip? Mental? Any advice would be appreciated. And remember I haven't always had this problem. Mainly the past 4-5 rounds.

Blake

Usual disclaimer about internet advice...insert here.......Ok that out of the way.

This actually came up in my fitting with Ian at TXG, if you haven't seen he video.  He mentioned that a heavier shaft  CAN help MINIMIZE not eliminate an OTT move due to it's weight.  if I said any more than that, I would be doing the true definition a disservice.    But watch it or some of his other videos on Iron fitting and you can hear him talk about that.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great point Rob and something that could easily have been missed. I was intrigued to hear him suggest a heavier shaft for you. Usually goes the other way.

Usual disclaimer about internet advice...insert here.......Ok that out of the way.

This actually came up in my fitting with Ian at TXG, if you haven't seen he video. He mentioned that a heavier shaft CAN help MINIMIZE not eliminate an OTT move due to it's weight. if I said any more than that, I would be doing the true definition a disservice. But watch it or some of his other videos on Iron fitting and you can hear him talk about that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

You're describing two types of clubs that require two completely different styles of swing. Woods require a sweeping swing whereas irons are more vertical and downward. We don't take divots with woods right? (At least we're not supposed to 🤣)

You're telling us you make good contact with woods and hybrids yet you're pulling and topping irons.

Sounds like that woods swing has taken over.

Get some time with a professional and take a few lessons to straighten yourself out

Good luck!!

And here is n lies the age old argument. The longer I play and the more trusted teacher that I talk to the more I realize that there is one swing - a player has one swing.

The equipment functions differently causing subtle differences in AoA and turf interaction but you have one swing that you make.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

And here is n lies the age old argument. The longer I play and the more trusted teacher that I talk to the more I realize that there is one swing - a player has one swing.

The equipment functions differently causing subtle differences in AoA and turf interaction but you have one swing that you make.

If that were true, players like Tiger wouldn't need a driving iron as a crutch.

Hit down on irons, sweep Woods.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

...remember, golf is a round game.... we swing the club around our body to make the ball go straight... there are no straight lines in golf.

try half speed and/or three-quarter speed shots with whatever you're having trouble with.  that has helped me in the past.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Thanks everyone for taking your time to give advise/tips. @GSRob my driver has a 76g X stiff shaft. Maybe that's why I'm hitting it so well and the rest not so much.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Blake

For me, a pulled shot or over the top swing is a result of allowing my head to move towards the target in the downswing.  

To stop this, I focus on hitting the ball from the inside at the 7 o'clock position, 12 being straight at the target. By focusing on that spot on the ball, it keeps my head back, forcing me to clear my hips and lower body out of the way and making a nice in to out swing on the ball.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

If that were true, players like Tiger wouldn't need a driving iron as a crutch.

Hit down on irons, sweep Woods.

If you go on a launch monitor you will find that your swing is your swing - there's a consistency to it throughout the bag.

My teacher would take exception to that old adage. Many people take a small divot with a fairway wood. You hit down to make the ball go up - understanding your swing you will have equipment that helps to accentuate what you do well.

I would hardly call Equipment choices made by the second best player ever crutches. The equipment fit his game.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

If you go on a launch monitor you will find that your swing is your swing - there's a consistency to it throughout the bag.

My teacher would take exception to that old adage. Many people take a small divot with a fairway wood. You hit down to make the ball go up - understanding your swing you will have equipment that helps to accentuate what you do well.

I would hardly call Equipment choices made by the second best player ever crutches. The equipment fit his game.

It's time for an illustration. To his original post, he said he was topping and pulling his irons.

Which of these (ahem, long club) swings would promote a topping and pulling shot if struck incorrectly?

IMG_6054.JPG

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Are you turning this into a DeChambeau, one-length club type of thing? :blink:

Because if I put my 9-iron swing on my 3-wood I'm going to stick it into the ground, lay the sod over it, and hit it about 100 yards. And if I put my 3-wood swing on my 9-iron I'm more liable to not take a divot, hit it thin, hit a liner that goes 20 yards further than intended, that's got no chance of stopping on the green, and leaving me screaming at the ball to get down..... :wacko:

❤️

That's for RP and Rev. This is how I see it. Time to move on

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Archived