Sign in to follow this  
Thin2win

Switching from interlock grip.

My issue is more relative to my middle finger joint where it meets my palm on the left hand. I attribute most of this to lifting unnecessary amounts of weight in the gym while in college and a a few years after as well as a prior career of being an auto mechanic. At 28 yrs old, it’s not yet bad enough yet to make me want to willingly switch, but I know not to long from now, I’ll have to if I want to enjoy the game pain free.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Whoa. Tried the Speith grip today, it has some promise but sure felt odd. I'm more confident in it than the Vardon grip right off so that is promising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Well, I think I can rule the Speith grip out. However, in trying it I ended up trying a grip with my left index finger resting ontop of my right pinkie. Basically reversing the overlap of the Vardon. It felt instantly comfortable, like I should have been doing this my while life.

I played 9 with it today, 39 and got some of the longest drives of the year.

I got home and did some more internet sleuthing and I have discovered the "reverse overlap" grip. Jim Waldron apparently taught this method for years. And it looks like golf digest even ran an article about it back in 1999.

So, definitely not something new. But new to me, and it felt so great. I highly doubt it will take 2 odd my handicap, but it relieved pain and have me a very comfortable grip that made it feel like I had full control of the clubhead.

Mr. Waldron says that this grip should be used by any golfer struggling with a slice, and that it adds some clubhead speed. I can't verify those claims, but I can say that it was a great solution for my problem.

I'll be playing a lot of golf over the next month so I'll provide an update down the road on this.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I made the switch 2 years back FROM interlock TO the Hogan overlap as a result of interlocking pinkie pain. Gave the reverse overlap you speak of a shot but that only smashes your pinkie in a different way. Didn't take long to give that one up.

The grip is a funny thing. It took quite a bit of effort to switch such a small thing. Until I learned to keep my hands from separating in the swing, I hit a LOT of bad shots. The clubs I swing fast came first (out of necessity). It was a good bit more practice to use the overlap in the short game. Then I finally made the switch in my putting stroke about 2 months back.

It's take time, but it's worth it when you get there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1