TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno MP vs JPX

bacchus

Has anyone done extensive testing (range or on course) with the MP18 SC and MMC vs the JPX Tour and Forged? I am a 15 handicapper, relatively high swing speed player getting better fast, who is looking at getting new irons I can play now but also grow into a bit as I get down to around 10 (hopefully by the end of this season), and hopefully into the single digits. I hit the four mentioned irons (6 and 7 irons) and some wedges a week or so ago for an hour and wasn't sure if I was having a particularly good day or if I didn't hit enough shots, but the Tour didn't seem all that unforgiving like I have read in some places (comparing it to a pure blade), same thing with the SC.

I plan to do a combo set either way going for the more forgiving irons in 4&5. Anyone have thoughts on playability of a SC/MMC or Tour/Forged combo set for a mid-handicapper?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

The JPX Tour reviewed insanely well during testing here on the forum

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20989-official-forum-member-review-mizuno-jpx-900-irons/page-1

While the MPs always have the classic look of a players iron, I have to say I love the look of the finish on the JPX.

The answer to your question is to get professional fit. Your fitter will help you identify the best the club for you and you can hit them side by side and see for yourself with the best shaft for you. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I did do the mizuno fitting, that's where I was hitting the irons, but the fitter basically just gave me low down on the shafts (which he was very knowledgeable about) and we ran over the time slot and he just said go with what iron I liked the most between the four irons I mentioned.

While I appreciate the advice of the fitter and it's nice to be able to hit them at the range, I put value in people's thoughts who have tested more extensively.

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

The MP's have an extensive lineup of clubs (that are all similar lofted I believe) in order to help you create your best mix and match set. You may play a blade 9-PW, SC 8-6, 4-5 MMC with a 3 iron Fli-Hi if you want. The JPX's are also interchangeable but not to same extent.

JPX's are also stronger lofted if that's a consideration. The tours were the most accurate iron in last years most wanted players iron testing. They're all great clubs, it would probably be worth another trip back to the fitter to really dial in what your needs are. I don't think "get what you liked best" is great advice from a fitter IMO

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

A couple of things

1. The fitter's a pro - we aren't. He's seen you swing a club and has your numbers, we don't. You don't know the games of the people offering advice here either.

Prescription for disaster. IMO

Listen to the pro would be my suggestion - if he gives you a choice take the one that fits your eye.

2. I went for a Titleist ball fitting this winter that totally blasted the notion of “growing” into irons out of the water.

Your swing is your swing, what will improve with time is your consistency. Your AoA and the turf conditions that you regularly play in should determine what type of iron you play., along with the subjective elements of how the clubs look and sound (feel) to you.

Viewing my bag set up in this way has reinvigorated my game - it's caused me to loose the “I'm a low handicapper and should find a player's iron that I can hit” attitude that has plagued me for thirty years.

With my swing I go with players wedges, GI (almost Super GI) 9-6 iron and hybrids for the 4 and 5, my fairway wood is essentially a 5 wood loft with a three wood shaft (SLDR HL cranked all the way up).

Look at your set this way - not what you “should” be playing based on where your handicap is and is heading and I bet you get there quicker!!!

If you take that kind of option be sure to check your tapping through the bag because as another poster mentioned different models have different lofts, you may need some tweaking through the bag to compensate for that.

Mizuno loves blended sets so you with the right OEM. It's just figuring out the what for your game at this point.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the feedback all! I wish I could do extensive testing or demo them for a while before I purchase, but I don't have that luxury. 

My main concern/question is just I was having a good day and it seems split on the forums whether these are "impossible to hit" and only reserved for low single digits, or whether they can accommodate lower double-digit handicappers that are better ball strikers.

It's probably worth considering how you play the game as well. If you're working on a lot of shot shaping you may get some added benefit from the MP series but if you're just trying to consistently score and hit shots to where you want them (i.e. most everyone) then JPX tour or forged will probably offer some increased forgiveness while maintaining a clean look, even some tour pros use the JPX-900 Tours (Nick Watney, Brooks Koepka) over the MP series. It's unlikely you would ever "grow out" of the JPX irons while you work on improving your game but you may face some growing pains if you jump into a more difficult iron. 

Ultimately they're all great clubs and it may make the most sense to mix the set as previously advised so you can get more shot shaping out of your short irons and more forgiveness from the longs. But don't feel like you need to move into a less forgiving club if it isn't going to offer you benefits.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

Has anyone done extensive testing (range or on course) with the MP18 SC and MMC vs the JPX Tour and Forged? I am a 15 handicapper, relatively high swing speed player getting better fast, who is looking at getting new irons I can play now but also grow into a bit as I get down to around 10 (hopefully by the end of this season), and hopefully into the single digits. I hit the four mentioned irons (6 and 7 irons) and some wedges a week or so ago for an hour and wasn't sure if I was having a particularly good day or if I didn't hit enough shots, but the Tour didn't seem all that unforgiving like I have read in some places (comparing it to a pure blade), same thing with the SC.

I plan to do a combo set either way going for the more forgiving irons in 4&5. Anyone have thoughts on playability of a SC/MMC or Tour/Forged combo set for a mid-handicapper?

Don't let handicap decide what irons you bag. You can be a good iron player and have an abysmal short game like me, which is where you lose strokes and ultimately have a higher handicap. You might be good at iron play and short game, but lose 4/5 tee shots in the bushes, irons won't solve that problem.

I touched on it in my review, but I was nervous that the 900 Tours would "outclass" me as an 11 hdcp, but it simply wasn't the case. Am I flushing every shot? No. But, neither are the pros. The best part of bagging these irons is I know my distances, there are never surprises. Miss the middle a bit and I'm a club short at most. Flush it, and I don't need to worry about rockets carrying the green. I can alter the trajectory, and I can bend the ball around trees, but I don't have the skills to play a 6 yard fade/draw on command, so my personal need to have irons that allow me to shape the ball is low.

FWIW, Faldo plays MMCs now. I've hit them, but haven't done extensive testing. If you want to send me an MMC/SC combo I'd be happy to

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I don't really think you could go wrong with any of those options. My favorite out of the bunch were dang near a tie with the MMC and the SC with the SC taking the slight edge in the feel department.

You could definitely “grow” into any club you choose. As long as you look down and are inspired with confidence you're golden.

Don't let handicap decide what irons you bag. You can be a good iron player and have an abysmal short game like me, which is where you lose strokes and ultimately have a higher handicap. You might be good at iron play and short game, but lose 4/5 tee shots in the bushes, irons won't solve that problem.

I touched on it in my review, but I was nervous that the 900 Tours would "outclass" me as an 11 hdcp, but it simply wasn't the case. Am I flushing every shot? No. But, neither are the pros. The best part of bagging these irons is I know my distances, there are never surprises. Miss the middle a bit and I'm a club short at most. Flush it, and I don't need to worry about rockets carrying the green. I can alter the trajectory, and I can bend the ball around trees, but I don't have the skills to play a 6 yard fade/draw on command, so my personal need to have irons that allow me to shape the ball is low.

FWIW, Faldo plays MMCs now. I've hit them, but haven't done extensive testing. If you want to send me an MMC/SC combo I'd be happy to

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Totally this!

I played MP59 which at that time was advertised for low hcp. And I managed to hack my way down from beginner to 18, IIRC.

So what you will hear a lot here is: play what makes you happy.

Now that I look back, I probably would have scored better with easier to hit irons in the beginning, but I didn't care for that.

If you can hit all models equally well (distance, dispersion, launch, spin, etc.) then you really have the luxury to choose whatever looks better to you.

Even if it was just one of those days where you were flushing everything, you know you got the potential to make them work and you just have to put the time and practice to grow into them.

My 2 cents.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I currently play the 18SC model. They are great clubs. Any iron that says mizuno on it is a good iron, I've never heard any one say that mizuno irons are bad. The pro fitter said choose from these four, and I would do that. Pick the ones that you like the best and you won't be wrong, if you like the MP's better go for it, if you like the JPX better go fo it. It really comes down to which ones you want.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Like others stated, go get fit, then make a choice.

For me, it was about feel.  When Mizuno added Boron into the mix, the iron lost its "Buttah".  I play a combo set, well kind of.  PW-6 MP18 SC.  4-5 MMC.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived