TESTERS WANTED! ×

US Open 2018 qualifying

StrokerAce

probably a-hundred-and-one US Open qualifying stories out there.... I've read a number of them over the last couple days but this one stuck with me.

right when this guy could have given it up, packed it in and figured his chance was over he went for broke and made it.... really great lessons in here about never giving up until that final putt drops

Anything you've read that you'd like to share?

Personally know anyone who qualified?

==============

Missouri journeyman gets into U.S. Open after an improbable finish at sectional qualifying

The best stories out of U.S. Open sectional qualifying tend to be, to borrow from Carl Spackler, the Cinderella stories. Sure, we all enjoy reading about PGA Tour veterans who go back to the salt mine of 36-hole qualifying, put on a pair of shorts and sweat out earning another spot into a major championship (yes, we're talking about you Adam Scott). And there are the heartfelt tales of up-and-coming amateurs who ride a hot putter into their first trip to the big time. But it's stories in the space between that fulfill the Open part of U.S. Open.

And so it's time to introduce Chris Naegel, a 35-year-old from Wildwood, Mo., who's journey to his first ever major championship has a bit of a Roy McAvoy/Tin Cup quality to it.

Naegel's background is anchored in golf. A former college player at Missouri Baptist, Naegel has partial status on the Web.com Tour and has played in four events this season, even finishing T-7 at last month's Nashville Golf Open. And once he had full status there in 2016. But much of his career has been spent fighting the good fight on the mini-tours. Since turning pro in 2008, Naegel has spent time on the Hooters Tour while also competing occasionally on the Adams Tour and the Minor League Golf Tour. It was in 2012, in the eGolf Tour's Oldfield Open, that he claimed his professional victory. And the "best" he's ever been on the World Ranking is 965th (he's currently ranked 1,081st).

It's not just his scramble to succeed in the game that makes the fact he qualified for the U.S. Open so intriguing. It's the way he grabbed himself a locker at Shinnecock Hills. On the 14th tee in his second 18 at Shadow Hawk Golf Club in Richmond, Texas., Naegel stood at six under, a respectable score but seemingly out of the hunt for one of the three qualifying spots for the 52 players in the field. Blaine Hale, who just finished his junior season at Oklahoma, was already in at 10 under par after shooting an afternoon 65, and two college amateurs from LSU, Jacob Bergeron and Philip Barbaree, were en route to finishing at 11 under.

Undaunted—or perhaps oblivious to what he needed to do coming in—Naegel made birdies on the 14th and 15th holes. A bogey on 16 looked like it was the end … until Naegel birdied the 17th hole and then made an eagle on the par-5 18th to match Hale's 65 and get 10 under.

Screen%2520Shot%25202018-06-05%2520at%25

After forcing the playoff, Naegel then took down Hale to earn his first ever start in a major championship.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Wow, what a finish.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400MAX Driver 10.5* w/ Kuro Kage S

:callaway-small:  XR16 3W w/ MF AT S

:callaway-small:  XR OS 19* Hybrid w/ FS Evolution II 565

:titelist-small:  4-PW AP3 w/ TT AMT Black

:vokey-small:   SM6 50.8 F w/ TT Dynamic Gold

:callaway-small: MD3 56.12 W w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Tommy Armour Impacty Series #3 Alignment Putter

Ogio GROM Black

Brilliant stuff, hope he plays well.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

great, one to watch

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Now that's what you call sticking with it and grinding it out!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Gotta love the US Open. I talked alot about that on my radio spot this week. How guys like our own DLK could be playing with us this week and then on the range with Tiger and Rory next week.

Such a great Chamoionship.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My son has been trying to get me to enter the qualifier for the last few years and actually sent me this story with the title "So there is a chance.....".  Glad he has faith in me but I think that the LOFT issue would keep me from even sniffing getting past the local level.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

My coach in S. Louisiana has one of his young ones qualify!!! Jacob Bergeron, who just finished his Freshman year at LSU. Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My coach in S. Louisiana has one of his young ones qualify!!! Jacob Bergeron, who just finished his Freshman year at LSU. Pretty cool.

attachicon.gifIMG_5457.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WOW!  Awesome.... what an incredible experience for this young man.  Hope your coach gets a chance to see him play.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Archived