Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What do you do when you're stuck

The past couple of weeks I've been stuck in a range of about 3 strokes and about 6-8 strokes off where I should be at. When I review my score cards it looks like I have 4-5 holes where every thing falls apart. Sometimes it's in the beginning of the round other times in the middle. For instance yesterday I had a 53 on the front and a 45 on the back (our back is tougher than our front). It also is not related to a particular hole one day I par a specific hole another day I'll get a triple on the same hole. Also the triple on a hole could be related to a bad drive or bad fairway shot or a three putt. Doesn't seem to make rhyme or reason.

Any thoughts on how to go about the analysis so it could lead to an improvement plan, or is this just golf?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Develop a preshot routine that focuses or reinforces the basics, grip, alignment, tempo, etc. Then after doing that just think about making a good swing and hit the ball.

Focus on the process not the results.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Develop a preshot routine that focuses or reinforces the basics, grip, alignment, tempo, etc. Then after doing that just think about making a good swing and hit the ball.

What he said!

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Good point. I normally use a preshot routine - but I'll bet sometimes I forget - leading to the bad shots. I'll use that as a check off criteria after all shots.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Something that has helped me is to not add anything up until the end... sounds simple but as another spy has said it helps me focus on the next hole and move on from whatever happened in the past.

That, and having a short memory and closing your eyes and visualizing each shot. Simply closing your eyes and taking a breath helps to be present and in the moment.

Hopefully some of this is helpful.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Already a lot of wisdom imparted here - some of it straight forward and frank - the combo of RR back and RP58 will bring that - maybe they are both pseudonyms for Rick P - oh wait.

Sorry couldn't pass on the fastball down the middle.

I play a lot with a guy who has gone from a 23 to a 14. Nothing to do with golf swing, everything to do with course management and particularly club selection. I'd like to think I've helped that process by teaching him stuff like the lowest possible shot around the green is the best choice, don't go for everything, a safe 3 wood is better than a crazy driver. Take your time when putting.

He has the potential to shoot in the 70's if he wouldn't revert and try the most difficult shot all the time.

Golf is hard - don't make it harder than it needs to be.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you ever saw Jack Nicklaus play he made it so easy - hit the fairway, hit the green, two putt, next hole. Birdie the birdie holes. It was boring - learn to play boring golf - start with bogey, then mix in pars...

The best compliment I've ever had is that my game is boring. When I'm playing my game there's really nothing to see.

That's your goal

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Have you ever hit a bad shot and dropped another ball and then just striped it? You almost always hit the second shot best. I believe it was Kenny Perry said that's why he always tries to hit that second ball first.

By that, as part of your preshot routine set up either behind or to the side of the ball and do a full on rehearsal and hit an imaginary ball. If you make a poor swing imagine it being a bad shot. And imagine hitting another one until it's good. Then step up and repeat.

Good point. I normally use a preshot routine - but I'll bet sometimes I forget - leading to the bad shots. I'll use that as a check off criteria after all shots.

And not after but before the shot.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

When you play, what are you trying to shoot? What's your target score? What do you consider a good round?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Already a lot of wisdom imparted here - some of it straight forward and frank - the combo of RR back and RP58 will bring that - maybe they are both pseudonyms for Rick P - oh wait.

Sorry couldn't pass on the fastball down the middle.

I play a lot with a guy who has gone from a 23 to a 14. Nothing to do with golf swing, everything to do with course management and particularly club selection. I'd like to think I've helped that process by teaching him stuff like the lowest possible shot around the green is the best choice, don't go for everything, a safe 3 wood is better than a crazy driver. Take your time when putting.

He has the potential to shoot in the 70's if he wouldn't revert and try the most difficult shot all the time.

Golf is hard - don't make it harder than it needs to be.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you ever saw Jack Nicklaus play he made it so easy - hit the fairway, hit the green, two putt, next hole. Birdie the birdie holes. It was boring - learn to play boring golf - start with bogey, then mix in pars...

The best compliment I've ever had is that my game is boring. When I'm playing my game there's really nothing to see.

That's your goal

Thanks Rev these are all good points. As I thought about the responses more, I believe my major failing is around shot execution and head game vs. a hero shot or course management. . My wife and I have been working on course management since last fall - including playing a round with our instructor with the purpose of better implementing course management.

So more details on a typical situation: Today I was pitching onto a green (which was adjacent to a creek) from 40 yards. That's something I generally do well. It was the last hole - great drive and fairway shot so a chance at a par. I hit it off the toe and into the muddy creek. So now a penalty stroke plus I'm ticked so I hit the ball to the far end of the green and 2 putted. Frustrating.

Sometimes just writing out the problem (my original post) can bring revelations. Did I follow my preshot routine? I did on my drive and fairway shot because that's been a focus on the practice range. On the pitch? Nope - guess I was just too anxious. Oh and where is my written preshot routine that I so meticulously documented after reading several books ( including 'Be a Player)? Still in my notebook at home.

So lesson learned I'm going to carry around the preshot routine for all clubs. I need to embed a discipline into this game!

Thanks everyone for listening and commenting

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Best of luck Tony!  What Rick said about the preshot routine!  And stick with it.  The process builds confidence that you can hit a shot, and confidence leads to better scores.  Don't worry about the score; hit the shots and the score will be there.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I look back at the card and there's a double its usually because I tried something stupid instead of a punch out to save bogey. When my tee shot goes to hell I always think bogey/par in that order. If I make the par putt awesome.

poor scoring rounds consistently are coming from a few doubles and a triple I believe in your round.

Remember this; 'Never follow a bad shot with another bad shot'!

i.e If you are in trouble dont go for the Seve recovery, knock it back to the short stuff, get near the green, a good chip and putt and you dropped only 1 shot. Hero recoveries always end up with a missed putt as well meaning double or triple. Take your medicine and move on to the next hole. You'll find your scores will improve.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

.Not trying to be combative or offensive, just being honest.

As it's expectations of golfers that leave them struggling to justify their poor scores.

RP58 - I didn't take your comments that way. I do appreciate your and everyone's feedback. Lot's to think about and lots of things to work on. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I'm not sure how I can help your game, but for me my blow up holes typically occur when I look at a hole and start saying anything to myself that can be perceived as negative. (“I don't have this shot,” “My driver isn't working today,” “Boy I hope I don't hook this,” “This is a hard hole”) What I've begun trying to do is once I hear myself thinking like that, I try to say out loud, “I'm excited for this!”

It's a trick that Simon Sinek talks about with how to deal with perceived stress. It is a work in progress as I attack the mental game.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

So this topic came up on the course yesterday. And if I can hit a fade or slice to get out of a situation I can do it on call. I can also hit a strong draw/hook. Now if it's a narrow window or just a shot a pro wouldn't try. Probably a good idea not to do it. As my uncle said when I was trying to fit it through a window... “don't be stupid you moron”

To me, part of minimizing big holes, especially a streak of big holes, is accepting mistakes.  At every level, from tour pro to 36 handicap, we all hit shots below our normal standard.  Its not necessarily mental preparation, or shot selection, or anything other than your normal variability.  I absolutely agree that a consistent routine will help, smart shot selection will help  But if you do that routine, plan an appropriate shot, and top or slice or fat one, you have to just accept that you tried your best, and got whatever result that you got.  Go right back on the next shot, plan the most appropriate shot, use your routine, and try it again.  Trust the process, that part you can control, but the results are largely out of your control.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived