TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave's Putter Profile: The Miura KM-009

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Dave's Putter Profile: The Miura KM-009

Miura KM-009 - 5.jpg

"This classic toe-weighted design proves it is possible to match looks with performance."

-Hoyt McGarity, President of Miura Golf.

Miura Makes Great Irons (and Putters!)

Miura KM-009 - 3.jpg

Since I've actually never owned a set of Miura irons (sadness), I'm actually going with a bit of faith on the first part of that title above. However, I've never met a person who has bemoaned anything about Miura irons. OK, so maybe I've heard some grumblings about price, which is why I don't own a set of them, but I have never heard anyone talk trash about the irons themselves.

I do have first hand experience with Miura putters though, and to a putter, the build quality has been exceptional. Putters for Miura Golf are not just haphazardly produced to fill that fourteenth spot in the bag. They are a legit Miura product, and they live up to the Miura name. For reference, you can read my takes on the KM-007 and the KM-008 putters by clicking those links.

Today, we are going to take a closer look at the newest Miura Golf putter model, the KM-009.

Miura KM-009 - 4.jpg

"Although putters aren't our core focus, the Miura family has never attached their name to any product that did not live up to their extremely high standards."

-Hoyt McGarity, President of Miura Golf.

The KM-009 is not a Cameron 009

Miura KM-009 - 10.jpg

Let's get the potential elephant out of the way first. Some of you leading the putter-obsessed lifestyle are well aware that Scotty Cameron makes a 009 model as well. The Miura KM-009 is in no way intended to mirror that putter at all. In this case, KM-009 just happens to be the next number in the putter naming sequence. You saw the KM-007 and KM-008 numbers above, right?

Though both the Cameron 009 and the Miura KM-009 are heel-toe-weighted blades, when you look at the putters, you'll quickly see that their common ancestor was a while back on the putter tree of life. These are cousins, not twins.

With that out of the way, let's explore the looks and play of the KM-009.

Looks

Miura KM-009 - 6.jpg

The KM-009 is a classic in the looks category. I love the lines of this putter at address. Though the topline is rolled, it still has that overall rectangular profile that I like to see behind the ball.

The one thing that stands out is the thickness of the topline. Here is a shot next to my Vault Anser 2 so you can see just how much thicker the top of the KM-009 is in comparison.

Miura KM-009 - 1 (2).jpg

This thicker topline is one of those putter visual elements that some of you will like, and some of you will not like. I had one friend tell me that the thicker top makes it appear closed to him. I don't get that, but the point is that these little visual tweaks will affect each of us a little differently.

Miura KM-009 - 1.jpg

The white chrome finish is a bright one in full sun, but not to the point of needing to only look at it indirectly like a high polished stainless finish would require. You are not going to get Twilight-vampire sparkle with the sun overhead, but this finish is a bright one for sure.

Miura KM-009 - 8.jpg

In terms of precision, the milling on this putter is pretty darn spectacular. I know that zero Miura fans are shocked at this, but even so, the tightness of the milling really stands out. I love that they have mixed in a bit of flair on the bottom with the giant logo. Most of the putter is subtle; then the bottom gives you BAM. Love that design element. The milled lines on the back corners are a cool aesthetic touch as well.

Performance

Miura KM-009 - 7.jpg

The KM-009 gave me a bit of a surprise on the course. I anticipated the feel being a bit heavy for my tastes, and it was a bit heavy feeling during the swing. No fault to Muira there, of course. My preferred head weight is around 345g, and the KM-009 weighs in at 360g. The extra weight does make it very stable during the swing, but I just like it a bit lighter. Again, you may go the exact opposite of me on this, preferring the feel of a heavier head.

One aspect of play that sent me back to the spec sheet was the firmness of impact. In a blind taste test, I probably would have said that the KM-009 was made of stainless steel. It's not. The KM-009 is made of mild (carbon) steel, but it feels firmer at impact than what I usually associate with carbon steel. It's carbon though. I did the magnet test to be sure...

The firmness culprit is likely that thick front section. There is a bunch of mass behind the ball at impact, this likely imparting that thicker/firmer feeling at impact. It's a thunker, not a clicker. The firmness is coming from mass, and not metal. Those of you who have rolled the thick-fronted Kronos Touch would know what to expect from the KM-009.

Miura KM-009 - 2.jpg

Once you get used to the impact feel, you'll see that the overall feedback is excellent. You can definitely pick up the differences when the ball hits various parts of the face. Just play some dead-off-the-toe putts on those short downhillers, and you will feel how the KM-009 lets you know where the ball hit the face.

All in all, the performance and play of the KM-009 is old school. It relies on shape and metal to roll the ball as opposed to modern materials and fancy groove technologies. It is probably not a putter that will make you immediately better on the greens once you roll it. This is more of a long-term relationship putter. You spend time with it, roll balls with it, discover its nuances, and with the investment in discovery, you will likely find that you have developed an effective putting relationship with this finely-crafted flatstick. 

And the price...

Miura KM-009 - 9.jpg

Here is where things get crazy. The price on the KM-009 is only $400! Wild stuff there, right? Now before you frugal crusaders attack your keyboards, think about the fact that most premium putters in the market today are above $300, with the new 2018 Scotty Cameron Select line also costing $400. Like it or not, that's what these putters run these days.

I actually thought that the KM-009 would cost more. Miura irons are expensive after all, and the KM-008 was priced at $450...

The thing is, I have a feeling that this putter will be exactly what some golfers are looking for in a market that has not satisfied their needs. Some putterheads are not happy that the last few lines of Camerons have had the face insert, as opposed to being fully milled. The KM-009 is forged mild steel, through and through. Nothing but milled metal here.

Milled putter purists should welcome this one with open arms.

Miura Golf is known for making some of the finest forged irons in golf. Why would their putters be any different? Hopefully you have a Miura dealer near you so you can check out the Miura KM-009 first hand. If you've never rolled one of their putters before, you are in for a treat.

Miura KM-009 - 1 (1).jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

sweet write up Dave. Looks like a beauty and the detail from the head to the grip are spectacular. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

How does it feel when you roll the rock, Dave?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nice review.  I love the looks of the putter as I am one of those that love the thick topline.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• SPY VIP

How does it feel when you roll the rock, Dave?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

At risk of cultivating innuendo I say the feel is thick and firm.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That's a great looking putter, and it sounds like the weight is more to my likings. The price, however, is just a wee bit out of my range, even for a high end putter.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Very nice review and great pics too.

I actually like the thick topline. With a different neck I could probably put this putter in my bag. I'd also change the grip.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great profile Dave.

I started using a Miura putter (KM 350) a long time ago and have not changed - no need.

After all this time - it still maintains its good look - feel - and playability.

On a side note - have just pulled out my Miura Irons (CB301) and just reshafted them with KBS

- wow - forget how good these irons are.

Do yourself a favour and try them (Miura's) - get the used ones - and you'll never look back.

• 1 month later...

nice review. thanks.

I love the minimalist look of things.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• 3 years later...

I play the Nicklaus-Miura irons and have been on Mizuno blades for fifteen years prior to my LE set. 

The irons feel a touch firmer than Mizzies I’ve had, MP-60, -69 and 4. All sets are made of forged carbon steel, but Miuras feel is somewhat crispier than Mizunos.

I have a strong belief, the culprit is the 3-stage forging, which should give the club head a more uniform integrity than fewer strikes. And if I have understood, Mizuno uses a grain flow tech to finish the clubhead. To my understanding that is a method alike soda blasting, but with some heavier grain to pound the surface into a denser form than the core of the head. 

Could be, that there is more material in thicker lattice also in the Miura putters, which could partly explain the heavier head. 

Disclamer:

There is a new KM putter out just now, and I was searching for it and ended up here. The review was very informing and well written so I replied to it. 

Edited by Pete Player
Added Disclaimer.

If there is a risk, take it! AND RECOVER the best you can!

• 2 weeks later...

Woah. That is a work of art. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, scooterhd2 said:

Woah. That is a work of art. 

I received this putter when my dad passed.

Ive played with it a few times on the practice green and two rounds.

I absolutely love how it looks, feels, rolls.

Unfortunately,  I can’t make this putter my gamer because the glare from the bright south Florida sun blinds me.

Just not logical to play two putters.

One for sunny days and one for cloudy ?….. lmao

Being a work of art, I refuse to put any type of paint on it.

Really a bummer.

More than likely sell.