TESTERS WANTED! ×

Top 5 Best & Worst Golf Purchases

txgolfjunkie

WORST

1: Footjoy M-Fit gloves size XL-ordered wrong hand (right) because apparently I cannot read eBay postings :wacko:

2: PING Karsten III iron set-Immediately upgraded from them and they're still for sale :unsure:

3: Golf Pride MCC+4 Align grips-Put on above irons and never used them :blink:

4: 1980's PING Staff bag-Immediately upgraded to DLX bag which I love, sold it at a loss... :angry:

5: PING Anser G2i putter-It's too long and I need to send it in for refitting <_>

BEST

1: PING G400 SFT driver

2: PING DLX cart bag

3: PING Vault Anser 2 putter 

4: All of my Footjoy shoes

5: Kentwool socks

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Best:

1. Adidas Adicross golf shoes (wish I could still use these)

2. Callaway MD PM Grind 60° (don't have it anymore, sadly)

3. TaylorMade M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

4. Cleveland Huntington Beach 1

5. Nike modern fit polos

Worst:

1. All of my other putters, none of which helped me improve

2. Premium golf balls (I could probably do just as well with cheaper balls... yet I still buy Pro V1x's )

3. A $70 handmade leather yardage book cover. (Looks fantastic, but definitely not something I need...)

4. Nike Sleek Modern Plaque belt (broke after only a couple times wearing it)

5. Any other club I bought 'cause I thought it would make me a better player.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

In no particular order

Worst

1. $50 Footjoys. Bought the basic, cheapest model and they were complete junk.

2. True Linkswear Outsider. Very nice, well made shoe that was nearly impossible to put on for someone with very high arches.

3. Macgregor V-Foil fairway woods circa 2000. Wow, what dogs those were. Just awful feeling and terrible performance.

4. Bob Toski irons and driver. Was talked into them by a salesmen when I was upgrading from my very first set.

5. Srixon 506 Irons. Bought these for cheap and I have never hit an iron that performed as badly. The ball seemed to go nowhere. I had those for a week.

Best

1. Ben Hogan Ft. Worth irons and TK15 wedges. Incredible feel and easy to hit. Predictable distances and wonderful turf interaction. I've actually took the Hogan Hi irons out of my bag and went back to the regular Ft. Worth irons starting at the 4-Iron. Incredible clubs.

2. Sun Mountain stand bag 1999. Bought it brand new with those Toski's and I still use it sometimes. Not a single tear or rip after 20 years of use. Great bag.

3. KZG Irons. Best feeling irons I've ever hit. I've had four sets and they all felt wonderful.

4. Nicklaus Air Max 3-wood. Has been in my bag at least 15 years. Just a rocket from the fairway.

5. Hopefully, whatever I buy next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Wow - what a great thread! I've been thinking about it since I saw it pop up.

Best- In order I think

1. Ping Eye 2 Irons (stayed in my bag from CT to Wisconsin and the wedge to Florida - that's 21 years). Both hole in ones were with these clubs.

2. PGA Tommy Armor driver - a classic persimmon driver - it was so sweet. It only left my bag because it was damaged in a car accident. :(

3. Yes, Never Compromise VoDoo Daddy putter - what does one say about a putter purchased from the bargain basket that stays in his bag for over ten years. Yes, the EVNRoll R5 that replaced it is a better club but only because I have better distance control on long putts. I loved that putter and shot some great scores with it.

4. Every SCOR wedge - I have a 60 and 55 that I won through MGS, a 48 and 44 that I tested and a 56,54,53,52 that I purchased. I currently bag the 60,56,52,48. They are beautiful clubs.

5. My golf buddy - first measuring device that I owned. It was simple to use out of the box and let me know how far I and others actually hit the ball. It was eye opening. I remember the laying a round with a guy who said he hit it 320 and this I hit it 270. I showed my partner every drive the guy hit and he only topped 280 once - downhill, downwind. I never topped 245 nor did I claim too.

Worst -

1. Mizuno 825 with aerotech 110 shafts. Really? Who did I think I was? Probably drunk when purchased.

2. Adams Idea Pro Irons with dynamic gold black shafts. Really again? These things weighed 130 grams. I was 51. Not a good fit. However I did reshaft the irons and hit the hybrids well. All it cost me was $300 additional dollars. :)

3. Vokey wedges - Why aren't the rest of you playing SCOR or Hogan TKs? (Okay we are all different)

4. Cleveland wedges - see above

5. Taylor Made Tour bubble driver and 3 wood. The first club I ever hit with a closed club face. The Pro at my club in Indiana should have warned me. It was a debacle!!!! Can we say duck hook city with the driver?

I was so angry that I went in and demanded he give me full credit on the driver towards another driver - he did, after a very brief protest where I pointed out that he had played with me often, knew my game and didn't want to get into a he said, she said debate with me. He would have been gone in 60 seconds. I wouldn't have done it but he knew that I could have.

I actually ended up in the Titleist 907D driver which would be next on my list of best purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I haven't bought enough equipment to fill the list, but I'll list things I'm happy about and others I kick myself for getting.

1. RAZR fit driver - this thing is stoopid long

2. Odyssey white ice #1 - thing felt great. Sold it to my bro and think that I shouldn't have every day.

3. Cobra Utility aka my Fairway Finder

4. Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges - they are killer

5. Any Nike shirt/pants. They are amazing.

Worst

1. Odyssey Toe-Up #1 - performs well, but I acquired it after being at MGS for a while, so I should've just gotten properly fit, and I'd probably have raved about a putter that helped lower my score in best purchases above.

2. 716 AP2 - see above

3. Vokey SM6 56 - bought it to compare the "new COG technology" with the RTX. It didn't end well for Voke.

4. Some cheaply made golf shoes I got for my first time out. Lace snapped middle of the second round.

5. Oakley golf lenses - never had an issue with losing the ball in the air, but for some reason I bought them.

Well that was easier than I thought 🤣

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Best

1. Scor wedges, got them cheap at runout pricing after reading reviews here. Absolutely love them

2. MLA Tour Mallet that I reviewed here. It will take something very special to get it out of the bag.

3. Grafalloy Epic shafts. Bought the driver shaft on a gamble for $25, loved it so got the fairways and hybrid.

4. Nickent 4DX driver. Got it really cheap, can't find anything that can get it and the the Epic shaft out of the bag.

5. TM Burner 08 Fairways. See number 4.

Worst

1. Cobra Bio Cell 4-5 hybrid. More like a fairway wood, shaft really unsuitable for me.

2. Titleist 816H1 5 hybrid. Another failed attempt to replace my 5 iron. Nothing really wrong with it, more a purchase out of desperation.

3. Current TM RSI2 irons. Never been really happy with them. Found out recently they were no where near the specs I ordered, which probably were poorly fit for me anyway.

4. TM Superfast Driver. Killed it on the demo day, couldn't keep it on the planet on course.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Best

1. The Grint with shot tracking. It lets me know my distances accurately and the free stats are really helpful.

2. FootJoys. They look great and I got them for $80 new at a boxing day sale. I can walk multiple rounds in a day and my feet are fine.

3. UnderArmour gloves. I was unsure as I've never bought anything UA before but they're high quality very reasonably priced.

4. Big Bertha Alpha used online. Just bought it this year but it's miles ahead of my old X460.

5. Cleveland 588 CBs. I love hitting them. They offer enough forgiveness and feedback that I know exactly what the problem was after each shot. Plus they feel like butter when striped.

Worst

1. This is not the products fault but I go through 2 hats per season because they get covered in sweat stains.

2. Lessons with a baaaaad coach. His "range" was indoors at a hockey rink and it was only about 25 yards long. He showed me a video of Adam Scott and told me to be like him. It was horrible. I've never felt so ripped off in my life.

3. I got a set of brush tees for Christmas, and I hated them. It's just not the same.

I must be lucky because those are all I have for negatives, but I have around 5 more positives. Then again, I haven't been golfing as long as most of you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

Best Purchases (Note - items obtained via MGS Forum testing (900 Tours & ER2) are left off the list since I didn't buy them)

1) Bushnell Tour V3 Rangefinder (2016)

2) Cobra F8 3-4 wood (2018)

3) Titleist SM7 60 D Grind (2018)

4) TaylorMade 320 Irons (2001)

5) TaylorMade Rac TP Wedges (2006)

Worst Purchases

1) Adams dHy (2014)

2) Callaway x2 Hot Pro Driver (2014)

3) Callaway MD2  Tour Grind wedges (2014)

4) Snell MTB Red Balls (2018)

5) Callaway X Hot 3 Wood (the stock PX shaft in it was garbage for me)(2013)

Best

1: Cobra F7 3 wood. Go to and favorite club.

2: Ping Sigma G Tyne putter. Very recent purchase but has significantly helped my putting.

3: Ping I e1 irons with Nippon modus pro 105 shafts. Smooth and just love these irons so much.

4: Taylormade burner superfast rescue 18* still holds a spot in the bag.

5: most recent purchase but love it so far which is my Arccos 360.

Honorable mention: click gear cart

Worst:

1. Ping i25 driver... Had some great shots with it but was wildly inconsistent and we never really got onto the same page.

2. Mizuno JPX EZ forged. There really wasn't much wrong with them, but the shorter irons looked really ugly at address and the balance felt off on them for my swing.

3. Taylormade r15 3 wood. High hopes for this one, but just didn't fly with me.

4. Cobra fly z hybrid. Personally it felt super hard and just not good. Nothing like the drivers.

5: game golf. Worked okay, but ended up dying on me and didn't get as much out of it as I had hoped.

Honorable mention: ray cook wedges... Don't know what I was thinking.

Great thread I'm sure many of us could have lists that go a mile long

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This is amazing.

Best

1) Titleist 962b's used in 1999 for $200

2) My current Hogan's

3) PING Anser 2

4) PING J Bag

5) Cleveland 900 Gunmetal forced wedges. These were surgical tools.

Worst

1) Nike

2) Pro Combo

3) and

4) Slingshot

5) Irons

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Best

1: Cobra F7 3 wood. Go to and favorite club.

2: Ping Sigma G Tyne putter. Very recent purchase but has significantly helped my putting.

3: Ping I e1 irons with Nippon modus pro 105 shafts. Smooth and just love these irons so much.

4: Taylormade burner superfast rescue 18* still holds a spot in the bag.

5: most recent purchase but love it so far which is my Arccos 360.

Honorable mention: click gear cart

Worst:

1. Ping i25 driver... Had some great shots with it but was wildly inconsistent and we never really got onto the same page.

2. Mizuno JPX EZ forged. There really wasn't much wrong with them, but the shorter irons looked really ugly at address and the balance felt off on them for my swing.

3. Taylormade r15 3 wood. High hopes for this one, but just didn't fly with me.

4. Cobra fly z hybrid. Personally it felt super hard and just not good. Nothing like the drivers.

5: game golf. Worked okay, but ended up dying on me and didn't get as much out of it as I had hoped.

Honorable mention: ray cook wedges... Don't know what I was thinking.

Great thread I'm sure many of us could have lists that go a mile long

I own THREE of the items listed under your "worst" section!

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Best:

GBB Epic. Not leaving the bag for a while.

Srixon 765.

ER2/MLA - torn between the two

818 H2. Just $$$

Treating my dad to pebble for his birthday a few years back.

WORST.

TOO MANY

Taylormade burner 1.0 irons

Apex Pro. Good set but nothing better than my 814 AP2

TiFi Cero. Not horrible but literally played 2 rounds with it.

The 5 drivers I bought in 2014.

I own THREE of the items listed under your "worst" section!

Funny how that works! I have to say they just didn't fit for me and didn't work well for me at all. Not to say they aren't good..my brother in law is using the Mizuno JPX EZ forged irons now and loves them.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Funny how that works! I have to say they just didn't fit for me and didn't work well for me at all. Not to say they aren't good..my brother in law is using the Mizuno JPX EZ forged irons now and loves them.

It's really true - what's good for one may stink for another. In fact that's often what leads to the worst items on these lists. Everyone has it so we have to have it but it doesn't work for us.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Worst :

1-3: online golf lessons

4-5: golf instruction videos and books

Best:

1-3: in person golf lessons and clinics

4-5: all club purchases after proper in person lessons.With a proper swing you can hit anything well

Can't learn a game reading a book or watching a computer screen. In person or just go home

Great thread.

5 best:

1. Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag. It makes walking so easy.

2. M2 woods. Exactly the feel, distance and ease of use I've been looking for in woods.

3. PM grind wedges. Transformed my short game, total confidence now.

4. Shaft puller. Saved a ton of money doing my own club work.

5. Recycled golf balls (literally cut my spending on balls in half, with better quality balls too)

5 worst

1. Ping G15 driver. An example of hitting it great in the simulator means nothing.

2. Altitude irons. Gave these two seasons but they just weren't the elixir for me they were for a lot of others.

3. Callaway jaws forged vintage wedges. Couldn't hit these and held onto them for too long.

4. Zepp swing analyzer. Didn't work all that well, didn't help all that much, I returned it.

5. Titleist 910h hybrid. More a story here of probably way too much club for me at the time. I had it in 20 degrees and was happy to get 150 out of it.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Top 5

1. Bobby Grace M5K-GT (center shafted) - my gamer for ~15 years... txgolfjunkie and PokeForeLyfe can both attest to the BG's affinity for rolling the potato.

2. 17* Nickent 3DX Ironwood - similarly in the bag for over a decade and maybe the most versatile club in my lineup (recently purchased an identical replacement because it was getting pretty ratty looking).

3. Monument Golf 'Stick-It' rangefinder strap - this product _will_ change the way you interact with your laser.

4. ADAMS Idea MB2 (5 plug) 3-PW - in my opinion, some of the finest wrenches ever forged.

5. Ping WRX Si3 380 driver - tears were shed when some SOB lifted this USGA conforming mortar out of my unattended bag.

Bottom Feeders

1. Macgregor Tourney PMB 2-GW (custom grind) - they cost me several minimum wage paychecks and were as evil as they were beautiful.

2. Callaway X-12 Pro 3-PW - heir to the forged PMBs, these felt like trash and were impossible to knock down into the wind.

3. RAM Tom Watson SW - loved the 50* GW from the same line and decided to snag the match (zero chemistry with this high toe super clunky grind)

4. '91 Hogan Edge GS - purchased used as a graphite shaft experiment and took them to a H.S. tourney the next day. The DIY seller neglected to bevel the hosels prior to the graphite shaft installation, so my 'built for TX wind' action sent several heads deep down range while warming up on the crappy range mats.

5. Puma Ignite Spikeless Disc (Volition edition) - purchased to support the program and because I really liked the styling. In return, toe box support was non-existent and they squeaked as though I was treading upon an endless sea of small furry animals.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I love the little stories that explain the whys.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Best

1) callaway apex hybrids

2) puma clothes

3) rangefinder bushnell

4) my first set of clubs to get into golf

5) one day my future practice range in my house

Worst

1) xe1 wedges

2) listening to a golf galaxy guys opinion for a driver. Completely wrong driver

3) golf galaxy lessons

4) spending any money at public courses that don't care

5) callaway stand bag (junk)

Top 5

1. Bobby Grace M5K-GT (center shafted) - my gamer for ~15 years... txgolfjunkie and PokeForeLyfe can both attest to the BG's affinity for rolling the potato.

2. 17* Nickent 3DX Ironwood - similarly in the bag for over a decade and maybe the most versatile club in my lineup (recently purchased an identical replacement because it was getting pretty ratty looking).

3. Monument Golf 'Stick-It' rangefinder strap - this product _will_ change the way you interact with your laser.

4. ADAMS Idea MB2 (5 plug) 3-PW - in my opinion, some of the finest wrenches ever forged.

5. Ping WRX Si3 380 driver - tears were shed when some SOB lifted this USGA conforming mortar out of my unattended bag.

Bottom Feeders

1. Macgregor Tourney PMB 2-GW (custom grind) - they cost me several minimum wage paychecks and were as evil as they were beautiful.

2. Callaway X-12 Pro 3-PW - heir to the forged PMBs, these felt like trash and were impossible to knock down into the wind.

3. RAM Tom Watson SW - loved the 50* GW from the same line and decided to snag the match (zero chemistry with this high toe super clunky grind)

4. '91 Hogan Edge GS - purchased used as a graphite shaft experiment and took them to a H.S. tourney the next day. The DIY seller neglected to bevel the hosels prior to the graphite shaft installation, so my 'built for TX wind' action sent several heads deep down range while warming up on the crappy range mats.

5. Puma Ignite Spikeless Disc (Volition edition) - purchased to support the program and because I really liked the styling. In return, toe box support was non-existent and they squeaked as though I was treading upon an endless sea of small furry animals.

To this day, I'm still searching for a lefty version of that flat stick. Zero luck so far. Downlowkey was dropping bombs with that thing when we played. Meanwhile, I'm switching out putters every time the season changes. Beware of the guy with a putter that's 8+ years old...he's either going to take your money or he's now a 15 handicapper with small children at home. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Best:

1. Mixuno MP-32'S...why oh why did I trade you in ??

2. Ogio Exo Bag. Lasted 15 years until she couldn't stand anymore.. literally.

3. Bushnell 1500 Laser...still running to this day but no slope function and I was selected to test the fantastic NX7 Pro!

4. Original Vokey Spin Mill wedges..

5. Wall Ball Holder to display all the courses I've played at. Fun kind of reminiscing and as a topic when friends come over.

Worst:

1. MacGregor M685. It wasn't the irons that were bad, but the customer service that promised multiple things and reneged on the promises. Started with the purchase. I'm a lefty, it was noted on the order, I doubled checked with the fitter to make sure they were lefty irons. They sent out right handed irons🤤! That took a month to sort out not including the prior two weeks it took them to ship me the wrong irons. I received the brand new iron with literally chunks/dinks taken out of the trailing edge. Contacted MacGregor, sent them photographic proof and and they made some promises. Manager called me back and said no, your SOL. I promptly returned the irons to where I bought them from.

2. Callaway X-20 irons with the wrong flex shaft. Traded in said MP-32's for the X-20 because I figured I needed more forgiveness since I wouldn't play as much with a new baby on the way and the fitter talked me into a stouter shaft. Not a Good idea.

3. TM R7. Can't remember what shaft it had in it but it felt way to boardy.

4. Current TM Aeroburner 3W, and hybrids. Cost me s many strokes that I took them out of the bag and just holding on to them for trade in value.

5. Callaway Razr Fit Extreme with a black tie shaft that an extremely attractive rep talked me into. Didn't have the swing for it.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Best:

1. Orange Whip - use it before every round and range session

2. Home putting green

3. Personal launch monitor

4. My wife's purse collection - keeps her out of my golf room

5. Super Speed swing sticks

Worst

1. Epic Pro Irons - man I really tried to like these

2. Anything Hank Haney is pawning on his show. Can't listen to it after 6 or I will be answering for some odd credit card charges.

3. The Hammer - I was left alone with and iPad after some adult beverages. Don't judge me

4. Titleist 4 up StaDry bag. Lasted four rounds before the legs broke

5. 915fd fairway wood. Seven hafts later and it was still a hook machine.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

To this day, I'm still searching for a lefty version of that flat stick. Zero luck so far. Downlowkey was dropping bombs with that thing when we played. Meanwhile, I'm switching out putters every time the season changes. Beware of the guy with a putter that's 8+ years old...he's either going to take your money or he's now a 15 handicapper with small children at home. 

I recall my carpet bombing campaign coming up one bomb shy of a tie that day - we need a rematch, pards.

The right-hand M5K-GT (CS) is already kinda rare, making the lefty configuration akin to a unicorn. But I'll keep an eye peeled, as late night trolling BG wands on ebay is way more productive than counting sheep (dating app profiles).

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Worst:

1. Tight Lies 2 strong three wood with a stiff steel shaft.

2. Ping eye 2 orange dots with stiff shafts for my son. I was most intrigued by a new anser cadence putter head over on the putter. Turns out it was an old ping with a lie of about 87 degrees. I knew the shafts were terrible and the putter was junk, but I had driven a ways to see them and bought them anyway.

3. Wilson Staff Progressives. My first real club purchase in high school that I never got along with.

4. Any non HJ gripper golf glove.

5. I have had a few other attempts to self fit (e.g. click “buy now” on eBay) that haven't worked out so well. I have viwed not to repeat this. We'll see how that goes.

Best:

1. Adams Insight XTD driver.

2. Hogan Edge GS irons. Acquired in a trade for the wilsons above. This started a bit of an obsession, though, so...

3. GolfShot GPS. I bought in early so I think I got grandfathered in to a lot of new updates. The GPS is key for my short game.

4. Hogan PTx irons with TK wedges. Scored a sweet deal on the local Craigslist.

5. Sharpro 3cat grips. I loved the velvet cord on top and tour wrap on the bottom. Like a mullet, business on top and party on the bottom.

Neat thread. I have only seen one of my top 5's on another's worst. But I never lost a head from my Edges.

The Fundamentals of Hogan book by Leadbetter should be on my top five, so I guess that is another on someone's worst.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

• 2 years later...

Stumbled upon this thread after putting my nickent hybrids back in play. its sad to say the bad far outweighs the good but here we go.

the good 

1. zodia 53 wedge i paid too much my go to for anything chipping. I'm sometimes tempted to foot wedge long puts off the green because i like it so much.

2. 1976 Wilson staff irons an ebay find for 26 bucks shot my all time low score of 2 under with them and they look just sexy.

3. This could be off the list in a year but just picked up the sim driver 9 degree and loving the results.

4. The aforementioned nickent 3dx hybrids trying to figure out why they ever left the bag.

5. The cart tek electric cart. Why did i wait so long?

the bad 

1. The calloway rouge sub zero. For some reason got the pulls with this driver and messed up way to many rounds.

2. Any putter with paint on it I'm not really ocd but putters with paint chipping drives me crazy.

3. Krank drivers i have bought 5 models imho the original was the best.

4. Driving irons they have never let me hit a 230 yd stinger into the wind. insert shocked emoji here

5. Have to ask the wife which one of my 50 plus putters belong here.

IMG_20190312_174622211.jpg

Didn't know this was here, awesome

Best:
1. Titleist 915 Driver - my first fitting
2. Titleist 714CB Irons - was fitted into the 918s with x100s found these for so cheap on ebay
3. Vokey 58* wedge - I update it but this has been in the bag since 2008
4. Original Adidas Tour360s - these shoes were comfortable and lasted forever, even the waterproofing
5. MacGregor Muirfield 20th Irons - found these at a rural driving range in 1998. They were my gamers for a decade

Worst:
1. Cleveland CG10 Wedges - pro told me I needed high bounce, boy did my short game go to trash with these
2. Adidas Tour360 2019 - most uncomfortable golf shoes I ever owned
3. Cobra X Speed Driver - even after reshafting, I never hit it consistent
4. MCC Grips - the originals felt rock hard and slick, took me 15 years before trying the Plus 4s
5. Callaway Golf Balls - any one I've tried since the HX series have been terrible.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Best

1. Evnroll ER5B
  • Adidas CodeChaos shoes
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Mizuno JPX900 4-GW
  • MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • PrecisionPro NX7 Pro Slope rangefinder

Worst

1. Club Champion driver fitting ($450+ wasted)
  • TM RBZ Black Driver, 3W, 5
  • Any Hybrid...
  • TravisMathew polos (great fabric but inconsistent fit, crummy collar)
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys